Scott Watters says Nick Riewoldt may not be captain

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Scott Watters says Nick Riewoldt may not be captain

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6226504391

ST KILDA coach Scott Watters has again refused to guarantee that Nick Riewoldt will remain as Saints captain next season. Watters said prior to the Saints training session at Moorabbin Oval this morning that "everyone is auditioning'' as far as positions in the leadership group go - and that extends to the captaincy.

When asked if Riewoldt was still captain of St Kilda, Watters said: "At this point he is.''

"At the end of January we'll make a decision on where the leadership group sits, until then this is the status quo.''

Asked if Riewoldt was likely to make a decision on his own to step down, Watters said: "I wouldn't think so.''

"But again, you can speculate right now, but we'll decide our leadership group towards the end of January and when it's decided, it's decided. It's not going to be decided at the end of December.''

Watters said he was not sure how many, if any, changes would be made to the leadership group as a whole.

"(It is) uncertain at this point, but again nothing's been penciled in right now. They are challenging for spots and they will be judged by their actions over a period of time. That was outlined on day one and that will remain that way until we decide our leadership group which will be towards the end of January at some point.

"It's an open slate at this point. Everyone is auditioning.''

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

I like it.

I'd like to see how Nick would go without the pressure of captaincy.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

...and I'd like to see how someone else goes with the pressure of it GO :wink:

I think plenty of guys have the qualities, wouldn't it be interesting to know who nominates, I wonder if there is left field ones every year?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Nothing's really changed has it.

The Captaincy was never going to be sorted by now but nonetheless the HS ask Watters about it. So of course he can't confirm it.

A real nothing "story".

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Nothing's really changed has it.

The Captaincy was never going to be sorted by now but nonetheless the HS ask Watters about it. So of course he can't confirm it.

A real nothing "story".
So a standard HS story.

I love this club
matrix
Saintsational Legend

so the process of offering bj the captaincy to keep him at the saints for life has started :P :twisted:

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:so the process of offering bj the captaincy to keep him at the saints for life has started :P :twisted:
Indeed it has Matrix, and I am happy with that. Give Roo a break, but it will be intersting to see how BJ handles the captaincy.

I love this club
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Stillwaiting wrote:
matrix wrote:so the process of offering bj the captaincy to keep him at the saints for life has started :P :twisted:
Indeed it has Matrix, and I am happy with that. Give Roo a break, but it will be intersting to see how BJ handles the captaincy.
But the contract must come before the Captaincy.

It can't be used as a sweetener otherwise we risk losing not only BJ but also the Captain of our club. If BJ is not prepared to commit to any club til mid year then I wouldn't go with him personally.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Why the assumption that he needs a sweetener?

Maybe he wants to stay?

If Roo goes on the veterans next year, I can't see how St Kilda couldn't offer him a decent contract. I'm not sure who else will qualify for veterans in 2013, perhaps Fisher or Dal?

Other guys like Lenny, Milne, Kosi etc will likely become 12 mth contracts rather than lengthy terms wouldn't they?

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

I love this club
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:If Roo goes on the veterans next year, I can't see how St Kilda couldn't offer him a decent contract.
i suppose there are two points on bj:

a) we can't and shouldn't compete with the money gws can afford - paying him $1m a year would be irresponsible for us but make perfect sense for them.

b) he might want a premiership. if we're sitting 6 and 10 two-thirds of the way through the season then he could be forgiven for thinking that the window is well and truly shut. it's a long way from there to a flag.

if he truly wants to stay, wants to be a one-club player and a massive figure in the history of the st kilda football club, then he will. but my impression (from the outside based on no knowledge) is that he'll be ruthless with this decision. as i would probably be in his place.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
SainterK wrote:If Roo goes on the veterans next year, I can't see how St Kilda couldn't offer him a decent contract.

a) we can't and shouldn't compete with the money gws can afford - paying him $1m a year would be irresponsible for us but make perfect sense for them.

b) he might want a premiership. if we're sitting 6 and 10 two-thirds of the way through the season then he could be forgiven for thinking that the window is well and truly shut. it's a long way from there to a flag.

if he truly wants to stay, wants to be a one-club player and a massive figure in the history of the st kilda football club, then he will. but my impression (from the outside based on no knowledge) is that he'll be ruthless with this decision. as i would probably be in his place.
Agree with this.

Realistically, if he goes it will simply be for money. 

If he decides to see things out with the Saints that will be a huge decision by him and it would justify seriously considering him as captain in 2013.

But I don't want to lose a reigning, first year captain to GWS. 

If it becomes increasing obvious during 2012 that he's going north I would prefer the media talk about Goddard leaving and not the Saints captain leaving.

Of course if he wants to commit long term to the Saints before the end of January then we could, and should, consider him for captain next year.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Agree with this.

Primarily for the money, but they also will have the chance to win multiple flags.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Agree with this.

Primarily for the money, but they also will have the chance to win multiple flags.
Not neccessarily in his time. That's what he'll have to consider.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Goddard would be my choice. Any of Lenny, Roo or Fisher would be worthy though.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
QuestionOfAccuracy wrote: Primarily for the money, but they also will have the chance to win multiple flags.
Not neccessarily in his time. That's what he'll have to consider.
Massive stretch to think GWS will have multiple premierships between 2013 and, say, 2017!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

me thinks they want the captiancy be be a major announcement whether it be though retention or a new bub

media playing at work

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

If we loose Goddard, I'm sure the AFL will find a way to give us no compensation

:( :(

Thats just about the worst outcome

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:me thinks they want the captiancy be be a major announcement whether it be though retention or a new bub ?????

media playing at work

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

If the burden of captaincy is as great as some of you are suggesting, then why would BJ want it anyway?

As far as I can see, the captaincy of an AFL club is largely a ceremonial role. On-field, all they generally seem to do is to call at the toss of the coin and give pep talks to the players (which are probably largely ineffective anyway).

Nick is also heavily in demand off the field, but - if he wasn't captain - would this be likely to decline very much? I doubt it: he is a brave, talented, articulate and highly paid footballer who, if not exactly conventionally handsome, has a very striking appearance and is very charming. In short, he is good media.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Rooy should and I would think will be captain. I cant see one reason why he wouldnt get it.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Goddard is gone (obviously) and Roo is past his prime. It's obvious we need a new captain but unfortunately there isn't anybody that could possibly step up. Roo probably is our best option for the next year or so to see who could step up. 2012 is going to be interesting for soooo many reasons.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Goddard is gone (obviously) and Roo is past his prime. It's obvious we need a new captain but unfortunately there isn't anybody that could possibly step up. Roo probably is our best option for the next year or so to see who could step up. 2012 is going to be interesting for soooo many reasons.
I must have missed the story on BJ going and Rooy being past his best. Can you tell us what paper it was in?

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

Potential captains for 2012:

The top two would have to be:

Nick Riewoldt
Brendon Goddard

The next rung of potential captains (IMHO):

Lenny Hayes
Sam Fisher
Nick Dal Santo

Outside chance:

Leigh Montagna
Ben McEvoy
Steven Milne

I was a firm believer that the only other person who should captain the club besides Roo was Lenny Hayes, but seeing as though he's coming back from a year out, I wouldn't be naming him captain this year.

As it sits now, I'd be perfectly happy with BJ as captain, and I'd be equally happy with NDS as captain. NDS would be good. Fish would be good too, but I'd say if you're going to give it to Fish you may as well give it to NDS.

The other player that I think would be a really good choice and in fact the more I think about it the RIGHT choice is Ben McEvoy.

He's been touted as a future captain, he's the no.1 gun of the next generation, he has all the qualities you look for in a leader.

I think it'd be great to make a huge statement about the fantastic direction the club is heading in with its development of youth and it's forging a pathway to success for when the current core of the group has gone by making Macca captain now. In a way it releases the pressure valve from the old generation of guns and it also lays down the challenge and sows the seeds of motivation in the current crop of kids. It encourages all the youth at the club to push up and become as good as the current stars, encourages them to take over, to take the reigns and guide us to a premiership, as Lenny, Roo, BJ, Fish, Kosi, Milney et al have done for the past 5 years and more. The only down side I can see is that it might thrust too much pressure on Ben himself, but if he feels he's ready for it, I say give it to him.

Even if it's not Ben, I'm feeling more and more that the captaincy should indeed be given to someone else. Not that Roo doesn't deserve it or isn't a great captain. I just think it would be in line with the winds of change that have swept through the club to have a new captain, too.

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Scott Watters is the boss

Another opportunity awaits!