Scott Watters says Nick Riewoldt may not be captain

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Nothing's really changed has it.

The Captaincy was never going to be sorted by now but nonetheless the HS ask Watters about it. So of course he can't confirm it.

A real nothing "story".
Totally agree.......a real nothing article.

The title of the article/thread does not reflect what was actually said

saint4life
linz
Club Player

If Kossie is flying; I would ask him the question. Are you and can you stand up to the pressure of being our next captain? Out of left field and no one doubts his courage. His Peripheral vision is a bit of a worry though.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

hungry for a premiership wrote:The other player that I think would be a really good choice and in fact the more I think about it the RIGHT choice is Ben McEvoy.

He's been touted as a future captain, he's the no.1 gun of the next generation, he has all the qualities you look for in a leader.

I think it'd be great to make a huge statement about the fantastic direction the club is heading in with its development of youth and it's forging a pathway to success for when the current core of the group has gone by making Macca captain now. In a way it releases the pressure valve from the old generation of guns and it also lays down the challenge and sows the seeds of motivation in the current crop of kids.
interesting points

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Rooey will be captain for the next couple of years at least or as long as he wants it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

My money is on Riewoldt keeping the captaincy.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:Scott Watters is the boss

Essentially, that is what Scott was saying without actually saying it. I think it's great that he is open minded about making a decision in 5 or 6 weeks time.

Apart from the fact that he will consult with the board and with the senior playing group, I think Scott Watters is still in a learning phase. He watches and assesses the individuals as they train, their interactions within the team, perhaps their interest in the youngsters and also perhaps their influence on the youngsters and on the whole playing group.

The leaders role isn't just ceremonial and I think that the coach and the captain need to embrace each and every player on the senior list for the team to be successful. Maybe Scott is thinking that Nick Riewoldt is the best candidate, but there are areas of his captaincy that he needs to improve and Scott is planning a few meetings to nut out what the coach wants from his captain.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Nothing's really changed has it.

The Captaincy was never going to be sorted by now but nonetheless the HS ask Watters about it. So of course he can't confirm it.

A real nothing "story".
Totally agree.......a real nothing article.

The title of the article/thread does not reflect what was actually said
and what he actually said; or part there of...
Top players audition for jobs December 21, 2011

Read later.EVERYONE in the leadership group at St Kilda is auditioning for his job - even captain Nick Riewoldt.

One of Scott Watters' first directives as coach was to declare all the on-field leader roles open. The Saints will confirm who fills the roles in late January.

Asked before training yesterday whether Riewoldt would be captain next year, Watters said: ''At this point he is. Everyone is auditioning … and that's where they currently sit.''

Advertisement: Story continues below Watters conceded that he ''wouldn't think'' Riewoldt wanted to step down from the post and the most likely outcome is that he will stay captain.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... z1h50KD4DX

or When asked if Riewoldt was still captain of St Kilda, Watters said: "At this point he is."

"At the end of January we'll make a decision on where the leadership group sits, until then this is the status quo."

Asked if Riewoldt was likely to make a decision on his own to step down, Watters said: "I wouldn't think so."
"But again, you can speculate right now, but we'll decide our leadership group towards the end of January and when it's decided, it's decided. It's not going to be decided at the end of December."

Watters said he was not sure how many, if any, changes would be made to the leadership group as a whole.

"(It is) uncertain at this point, but again nothing's been penciled in right now.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:If Kossie is flying; I would ask him the question. Are you and can you stand up to the pressure of being our next captain? Out of left field and no one doubts his courage. His Peripheral vision is a bit of a worry though.
Glad you arent involved in the decision then. Bad move, very bad.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
linz wrote:If Kossie is flying; I would ask him the question. Are you and can you stand up to the pressure of being our next captain? Out of left field and no one doubts his courage. His Peripheral vision is a bit of a worry though.
Actually I had never considered Kosi as potential captain but he could do a great job I think. He's loved by all and can kick heaps better than Roo and I reckon his peripheral vision could acually be a distinct advantage to help him focus and not be destracted by side issues.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Rooy should and I would think will be captain. I cant see one reason why he wouldnt get it.

Roo's sub normal form this year was solely because there was a imaginary 'C' ironed into the top right of his jumper.

Some people just crave change, not because it is the issue, or because it is required - Just because it is 'interesting'.

Reiwoldt captain. Best fit, best player, best leader.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Some people just crave change, not because it is the issue, or because it is required - Just because it is 'interesting'.
And others can't tolerate change and find it threatening. The club needs and is getting a bit of a shake-up.

Whether or not that involves a change of captaincy we'll find out. Riewoldt has had a pretty good run at it, though, whatever the case may be.

jays
Club Player

should be lenny

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Rooy should and I would think will be captain. I cant see one reason why he wouldnt get it.
Roo's sub normal form this year was solely because there was a imaginary 'C' ironed into the top right of his jumper.

Some people just crave change, not because it is the issue, or because it is required - Just because it is 'interesting'.

Roo didn't have sub form, he has a dodgy knee, nothing to do with how hard he tried or form.

He himself rated it a 6/10

You'd have to think it will likely get worse, rather than improve at this late stage in his career.

Expectation on him though, well that appears to trend the other way....and I guarantee that with the new optimism around the club will come headlines like 'Captain Nicks last chance to carry his side to a premiership' or 'Times running out for St Nick'

Who needs that, seriously?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6078133673

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6120001487

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 1d8n9.html

Do people expect it's going to be better somehow next season?

That suddenly people will be fairer in their expectations of what he is capable of?

Yeah sure.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:

Roo didn't have sub form, he has a dodgy knee, nothing to do with how hard he tried or form.

He himself rated it a 6/10

You'd have to think it will likely get worse, rather than improve at this late stage in his career.

Expectation on him though, well that appears to trend the other way....and I guarantee that with the new optimism around the club will come headlines like 'Captain Nicks last chance to carry his side to a premiership' or 'Times running out for St Nick'

Who needs that, seriously?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 6078133673

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6120001487

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... 1d8n9.html

Do people expect it's going to be better somehow next season?

That suddenly people will be fairer in their expectations of what he is capable of?

Yeah sure.
So he shouldnt be captain because he may still have a sore knee. Dont get the logic. My guess is he still wants to be Captain so he doesnt see it as a burden so I have no idea how others do.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Spinner wrote:Some people just crave change, not because it is the issue, or because it is required - Just because it is 'interesting'.
And others can't tolerate change and find it threatening. The club needs and is getting a bit of a shake-up.

Whether or not that involves a change of captaincy we'll find out. Riewoldt has had a pretty good run at it, though, whatever the case may be.

Exactly - The reasons people on here put up for a change of captaincy are flimsy.

Now he shouldnt be captain because he 'has had a pretty good run at it'

Lets not look at the job he is doing, who our best player is, our best leader.... or the simply fact that the person replacing him probably wont be half as good.

Add that to the list of great reasoning behind making a change.

> He 'looks' tired
> He 'looks' pressured
> I want to see how another player handles it
> Has had a good run at it

I presume Watters is just stamping his feet to leave his own footprints at the club.... But if a change is made, I sincerely believe it would be a mistake.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I don't think he can be captain because of his exceptionally bad kicking for goal. A captain is meant to be an inspiration and how can someone inspire his team, especially at a crucial moments in a game when a captains goal is needed especially from someone who is also a key forward but constantly kicks like a B grader. Everything else about him is first class but I think for a team that is looking to improve it's foots skills needs to have a captain that can lead by example and foot. The only problem is who takes his spot. We are short of candidates.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Looks like there is a new reason now Spinner.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Exactly - The reasons people on here put up for a change of captaincy are flimsy.

Lets not look at the job he is doing, who our best player is, our best leader.... or the simply fact that the person replacing him probably wont be half as good.

> He 'looks' tired
> He 'looks' pressured

I presume Watters is just stamping his feet to leave his own footprints at the club.... But if a change is made, I sincerely believe it would be a mistake.
Not saying you're wrong, but if it is being discussed at club level, and outside the club (as it was all last season), it is obviously not just something a few people on this forum made up.

Anyways, maybe Watters does want to 'do it his way', making a public statement that the Captaincy is up for grabs might just be his way of saying he's in control (but nothing more to it), or choosing a new Captain maybe his way of clearing the slate.

I haven't really formed an opinion as such, but last season it was clear our Captain was not capable of leading by example, whether though injury or form, but certainly not will. What do you do? We'll find out, but there's definitely some solid reasoning behind replacing him, I've heard plenty of opposition supporters telling me he's a try-er, but not a leader.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
clarky449 wrote:
Actually I had never considered Kosi as potential captain but he could do a great job I think. He's loved by all and can kick heaps better than Roo and I reckon his peripheral vision could acually be a distinct advantage to help him focus and not be destracted by side issues.
Because he can kick better then Roo? Are you serious. Please. Kosi is a decent footballer, but do you really want someone who will only kick 25 goals and 10 touches a game?

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
gringo
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
hungry for a premiership wrote:The other player that I think would be a really good choice and in fact the more I think about it the RIGHT choice is Ben McEvoy.

He's been touted as a future captain, he's the no.1 gun of the next generation, he has all the qualities you look for in a leader.

I think it'd be great to make a huge statement about the fantastic direction the club is heading in with its development of youth and it's forging a pathway to success for when the current core of the group has gone by making Macca captain now. In a way it releases the pressure valve from the old generation of guns and it also lays down the challenge and sows the seeds of motivation in the current crop of kids.
interesting points
Not sure the things I think of as important in a leader are obvious in Bigmac. I prefer a demonstrative communicator who leads by example and is comfortable in front of the media.

Bigmac seems a laconic quite country boy who plays like a guy who others will follow but is that enough? Harves wasn't the best captain material because while he lead by example, he hardly explained his position to others on the field.

Burkey was the opposite, always pointing to spots that needed covering & rousing the troups.

I would keep Rooey but otherwise would love to see Goddard out there busting some balls.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

interesting points
Not sure the things I think of as important in a leader are obvious in Bigmac. I prefer a demonstrative communicator who leads by example and is comfortable in front of the media.

Bigmac seems a laconic quite country boy who plays like a guy who others will follow but is that enough? Harves wasn't the best captain material because while he lead by example, he hardly explained his position to others on the field.

Burkey was the opposite, always pointing to spots that needed covering & rousing the troups.

I would keep Rooey but otherwise would love to see Goddard out there busting some balls.
It would seem that popular belief is that Roo should remain captain for no other reason other than there are no other viable options and there is no way that Goddard should be given the Captaincy as a carrot to trying keep him at the club. It's a ridiculous idea and in any case when you consider the option of being offered a massive pay check versus staying at a club that is on the slide for less money what choice do you think he will make. No brainer.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Exactly - The reasons people on here put up for a change of captaincy are flimsy.

> He 'looks' tired
> He 'looks' pressured

I sincerely believe we've been too reliant on Riewoldt for too long and it's been costly.

It's expecting a lot of a guy who cannot kick to get us winning scores every week and also the one-dimensional nature of our forward line is predictable and too easily countered.

I'm not sure whether this chronic issue can be addressed while Riewoldt remains captain.

Perhaps Watters can find a way, who knows, but Riewoldt will have to adjust to not being the sole focus of every move forward.

Interesting times.

linz
Club Player

A leader is a leader and not necessarily the best player. The players should be asked to vote on who they would like to lead them in to battle. Their vote should be given serious consideration wether it be Roo, Kosi, Lenny etc etc.
Allowing the players serious input would be a sensible approach IMO.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

linz wrote:A leader is a leader and not necessarily the best player. The players should be asked to vote on who they would like to lead them in to battle. Their vote should be given serious consideration wether it be Roo, Kosi, Lenny etc etc.
Allowing the players serious input would be a sensible approach IMO.
I was of the view that this normally happens, though I could be wrong :?

linz
Club Player

So why the discussion?