Suggestion to the Mods/Admins

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Suggestion to the Mods/Admins

When we look at the new hosting format, can we possibly instill a system whereby any new poster must lodge a valid email address or he/she/it doesn't get access to post? (They should also need to provide their real named/address details to the mods, so that they can't just make up a nondsescript email address for the purposes of circumventing this rule.)

Not being a tech-savvy person myself, is this possible?

If so we wouldn't have imbeciles like today's moron, trolling/flooding the forum incognito.

If a moronic troll's email address was easily obtainable he/she/it might think twice before setting out an a delliberate plan of mischief if he/she/it knew he was likely to get bombarded back in his own email inbox?

But then again, these attention-seeking, moronic, whores might actually 'get-off' on the whole process?

I can see it now - this particular moron standing around with his equally moronic mates, circle jerking and laughing about what he's done on Boxig Day.
An absolutely legendary hero. :roll:
Last edited by Mr Magic on Mon 26 Dec 2011 2:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Deleting these posts one by one is getting tiresome, but the Admin aren't online, so there's no other way for now.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

enigma

Why don't you just delete the guy if it's such an issue?

mcadam05
Club Player

enigma wrote:Why don't you just delete the guy if it's such an issue?

wow i love your nickname 'enema' so what your saying is too get rid of a blockage you need a tube and some warm liquid good thinking ;)

therabbitinthehat
Club Player

Re: Suggestion to the Mods/Admins

from my own experience:
Mr Magic wrote:any new poster must lodge a valid email address or he/she/it doesn't get access to post?
very easy, it's a basic forum system setting
Mr Magic wrote: (They should also need to provide their real named/address details to the mods, so that they can't just make up a nondsescript email address for the purposes of circumventing this rule.)
impossible to verify, so pretty pointless

----------- the next bit is a wall of text of why it's kind of pointless for either option as well as other pointless options -----

unfortunately providing a valid email address isn't much of a deterrent as it's pretty easy to get a free email address to use for forum signups. In fact most data security people tell you to use a fake/alternate email address for every different thing you sign up to on the internet as a basic form of security.

What some modern forums allow is the ability to not only ban usernames, but also the IP address that they were logged in from - the only issue with this is that unless you have a fixed IP address (which most people don't have unless they are logging in from some workplaces), chances are someone who has never done anything wrong may end up getting blocked from the site due to the random IP they get assigned every time they turn their router/modem/computer on is one that has previously been banned.

It's pretty rare, but since most people posting here (including the trolls) are based in Melbourne and the likelihood is they are using one of the big 3 providers (telstra/optus/iinet), it actually makes the chance of getting assigned one of those random IP's more likely as each provider only has access to a limited pool of addresses to assign from.

---TL;DR (too long, didn't read)
mods/admins could do this, but it's essentially a waste of time as anyone who wants to troll the forum will do it easily enough

edit one other option that may be useful is that you can set new signups to not be able to post until their first post is verified by an admin/mod - that should the stop the idiots

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

All forums have and will continue to have trolls. Just ignore / dont feed them.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

a forum i once joined gave new posters a trial period where they could only write posts on one forum, seperate to the main for one month period.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

The Bulldogs forum had a condition of membership that only fair dinkum email accounts (i/e no yahoo, hotmail, gamil etc) can qualify for forum membership.
Perhaps that could be the way to go?

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:The Bulldogs forum had a condition of membership that only fair dinkum email accounts (i/e no yahoo, hotmail, gamil etc) can qualify for forum membership.
then Saintsaitional would only have about 20 members.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

really? :shock:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:The Bulldogs forum had a condition of membership that only fair dinkum email accounts (i/e no yahoo, hotmail, gamil etc) can qualify for forum membership.
You get an email account with your internet plan (home and moblie). Not too mention most probably have a work email they can use. This just means you cant make multiple hotmail/gmail accounts and SS accounts. Good idea IMO.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
You get an email account with your internet plan (home and moblie). Not too mention most probably have a work email they can use. This just means you cant make multiple hotmail/gmail accounts and SS accounts. Good idea IMO.
right, like I going to give out my work email address...lol...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Suggestion to the Mods/Admins

therabbitinthehat wrote:mods/admins could do this, but it's essentially a waste of time as anyone who wants to troll the forum will do it easily enough
agreed.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:All forums have and will continue to have trolls. Just ignore / dont feed them.
Spot on ! Every forum has it's trolls sometimes it's fun to stick the boot in to them but often if you just ignore and delete their posts they leave once they stop getting attention

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
St Lenny
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Sorry terrible idea. We have recently changed internet provider to Dodo. If we want an email address, you pay an extra fee per month per email address.

After a disaster with my previous email, computer stolen and loosing all emails and contacts. Provider not able to help recover. We now only use hotmail and gmail, as we don't want this information stored on our computer.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

go thru someone like adam internet and get 5 or so for free.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

What!!!!!

Someone made a suggestion to the Mods?

Off with their head.

:wink:

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

:D

.thats unbelievable gramps!

Thats the exact suggestion i made to the mods , except for one word change.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.