Who is over paid

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Who is over paid

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 6277063067

Based on the AFLs figures an average club should have
1 player on $600,000+
1 player on 500,000 - 600,000
3 players on 400,000 - 500,000
5 or 6 players on 300,000 - 400,000
10 players on 200,000 - 300,000
That's the best 20

Then 17 players on 100,000 - 200,000
8 players on less than 100,000

St Kilda's list for 2012 at 38 is two senior list players short and has a lot of players who have not played or played less than a handful of senior matches.

Some guys are definitely being over paid.

Riewoldt may have earned 500,000 but he certainly did not play well enough to be considered near to 1 million.
But there must be quite a few in the best 20 who are being paid more than they earn.
The club will continue to have salary cap problems if as we hope some of the youngsters come good.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who is over paid

I think you will find that Riewoldt, Goddard and Hayes are all on $600k + per season. Roo close to $900k. Doesn't leave a lot left.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

riewoldt miles overpaid on last years output/stats.
most overpaid in the afl.
i think you havent taken vets lest in to account. thats half price. so hayes would only be on "350".
also remember gram is on a big contract. so he is probably tthe worst value for money.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

How can you say who is over paid and who isn't ? A persons value to an organisation is impossible to measure without knowing what their KPI's are and if the hit their targets to an outsider anyone can look over paid until you try and replace that person with someone else ... Maybe you would like to share your wage to the world and we can assess if your over paid ??

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
ace
Saintsational Legend

I am retired and not eligible for the government old age pension.
I get paid $0
That's about what my work is worth.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Ross who?
Club Player

JASON GRAM would be extremely overpaid after signing his contract post 09 GF performance.
IMO given his AFL form over the last couple of years, he is the best paid state league footballer in the country. :!:

Blake Acres fan club VIP
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

RIEWOLDT has always been overpaid IMO ! He has never been able to kick straight - how can he be on such ridiculous money ? The SAINTS have always treated their better players like demi gods and ROO is no different. Im sorry Im sure there will be angry responses but IMO Lenny HAYES and Sam FISHER carry much more worth to the team than ROO !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
sasaint
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:RIEWOLDT has always been overpaid IMO ! He has never been able to kick straight - how can he be on such ridiculous money ? The SAINTS have always treated their better players like demi gods and ROO is no different. Im sorry Im sure there will be angry responses but IMO Lenny HAYES and Sam FISHER carry much more worth to the team than ROO !
+1 :shock:

Patience young grasshopper
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

sasaint wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:RIEWOLDT has always been overpaid IMO ! He has never been able to kick straight - how can he be on such ridiculous money ? The SAINTS have always treated their better players like demi gods and ROO is no different. Im sorry Im sure there will be angry responses but IMO Lenny HAYES and Sam FISHER carry much more worth to the team than ROO !
+1+1+1 :D

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Lets talk about the underpaid players for a second. Dal Santo has remained loyal despite a lot of interest from Sheedy when he was at the Bombers. I think Sydney went at him hard as well in about 2005. Surely he could have deflected to another club for a hefty salary increase. Sam Fisher is the other. Arguably the best CHF in the comp for the last 6 years. I'd be very surprised if either player is on much more than $450k. Milne would be another highly underpaid player for us.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

AFL TOP-EARNERS LAST SEASON

$1 million+
Gary Ablett (Gold Coast)
Nick Riewoldt (St Kilda)

$900,000-$1 million
Chris Judd (Carlton)

$800,000-$900,000
Lance Franklin (Hawthorn)
Aaron Sandilands (Fremantle)
Matthew Pavlich (Fremantle)
Jonathan Brown (Brisbane Lions)

$700,000-$800,000
Luke Hodge (Hawthorn)
Dean Cox (West Coast)
Adam Goodes (Sydney)
I found that quote interesting:
It emerged last night that not one of Geelong's three-time premiership players featured in the competition's top-20 paid players.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 6277578650

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

sasaint wrote:
This is definitely not an angry response, :) but I do take the opposite viewpoint.

Yes, Roo has at times struggled with his kicking for goal, and at times really struggled. He's hardly Rob Crusoe on that one though. We now know some of the reasons for last year's output. On the (way) up side, he has been/is one of our club's all time greats - see B&F count. One poor (by his standards) year doesn't change that.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
sasaint wrote:
+1  :shock:
This is definitely not an angry response,  :)  but I do take the opposite viewpoint. 

Yes, Roo has at times struggled with his kicking for goal, and at times really struggled. He's hardly Rob Crusoe on that one though. We now know some of the reasons for last year's output. On the (way) up side, he has been/is one of our club's all time greats - see B&F count. One poor (by his standards) year doesn't change that.
Agree Dave.

I think when you look at players who may be overpaid then you really need to look at that in terms of either ability and/or effort.

If a player such as Roo has the ability (and we know he does) and puts in the effort (which I believe he does) then he's not overpaid in my books. If other factors negatively influence his overall performance then that's just tough luck.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:How can you say who is over paid and who isn't ? A persons value to an organisation is impossible to measure without knowing what their KPI's are and if the hit their targets to an outsider anyone can look over paid until you try and replace that person with someone else ... Maybe you would like to share your wage to the world and we can assess if your over paid ??
yes. im overpaid for starters. ill share that with the world!

and i think the "kpis" are not so secret that we could possibly not know them. i do tire of this attitude that everything is "internal club intellectual knowledge" that noone outside could hope to understand. this notion took hold and went way too far in the ross lyon 'role" days where macqualter spent 8 weeks without touching the ball as a fwd and people kept saying we didnt understand his "secret" role and only those on the "inside" with "expert" footy knowledge could possibly unedrstand. what an absolute CROCK. riewoldt himself will tell you straight up he had a shocker last year. Its not secret!
its footy FFS. its pretty obvious when u are playing well and when u arent. dont give me this "internal kpis" crappola.
you cant use corporate words to hide behind. I reject this use of language as a shield outright!

this is the attitude that made people in the middle ages believe in wizards! it is also the attitude that made people (and governments) believe those that worked in wall st investment banks were like wizards and possessed "secret special " knowledge that noone could hope to understand and therfeore had special powers. look how that turned out! im not buying it!
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 22 Feb 2012 1:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Yep being close go the games highest paid player isn't justified for a player:

a) has won 5 best and fairests

b) our best player of the decade

c) our captain

d) had a massive unique go home factor of the gold coast where he was recruited from with unlimited funds.

Worth every cent.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Yep being close go the games highest paid player isn't justified for a player:

c) our captain

d) had a massive unique go home factor of the gold coast where he was recruited from with unlimited funds.

Worth every cent.
i agree. i have no argument with roos contract. im just saying assessment on a strictly output/$ in 2011.
i guess the question needs to be more defined.

if we are arguing - who got the most over the top contract - then probably grammy (although i love the bloke and especially his baulking prowess).

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote: i think you havent taken vets list in to account. thats half price. so hayes would only be on "350".
Are you referring to last year for Lenny, or this year? Because the veteran's list is different this year and only $100K of Lenny's contract will go in the vet list. Same for Roo, Milne, and anyone else that qualifies under the new rules.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Yep being close go the games highest paid player isn't justified for a player:

c) our captain

Worth every cent.
hobbled around most of last season and was towled up by many a hack fullback. lachie henderson to name one.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: i think you havent taken vets list in to account. thats half price. so hayes would only be on "350".
Are you referring to last year for Lenny, or this year? Because the veteran's list is different this year and only $100K of Lenny's contract will go in the vet list. Same for Roo, Milne, and anyone else that qualifies under the new rules.
was referring to last years rules. so they increased cap - but decreased vets list %. is that correct?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Not sure exactly how it all works, but the vets list part depends on how many qualify for it. Some clubs may have as many as 8 or more that qualify for it, apparently. If that was the case they would get $800K going onto the VL and excluded from the official salary cap. It will affect some clubs more than others, especially any that have only one or two that qualify for it, as they'll only get $100-$200K of relief, instead of perhaps the $600K they would have gotten if the previous rules still applied.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

c) our captain

Worth every cent.
hobbled around most of last season and was towled up by many a hack fullback. lachie henderson to name one.
Given you can't wait til the end of the 2011 season to calculate how much to pay a player for the 2011 season, I would suggest the club simply failed to get value for money, rather than Roo was overpaid.

There is a difference.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's up to his teammates to draw any conclusions on how much he is paid and if it's too much IMO, they are the ones that get less of the pie, however they would know that he is an important component of the club being successful.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

c) our captain

Worth every cent.

Make up your mind. In one quote you dont have a problem with his wage and in this one you do. Anyway contracts arent redone after a poor year just like you dont get extra money after a good year.

noddy04
Club Player

How does anyone know who is paid what? Is there a List that we can see (not one put up by a journo) that is accurate?

citywest

I agree 100% with you WinnersOnly.