Tommy Walsh...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Tommy Walsh...

SainterK wrote:Longmire made it very clear in the pregame interview he is a project, and will take time.
This is very interesting given that I understood part of the reason for him going to Sydney was that they were going to play him. Doesn't sound as though he'll be getting any more opportunities up there than he did down here. There's one thing he will be getting more of up there and that is $$$.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
Armoooo wrote:We f***ed up, end of story, we had a player on our list who was worth more than what we got for him.

He had earned games (IMHO of course) but he still didn't get his opportunity.

The only way we can come out on top is if he stagnates very badly.

See this is the issue. People blame Lyon for not giving him a game but how many times did you watch him at Sandringham to have the opinion he 'earnt' games.

Did he show glimpses? Yes. Did he play forward a whole lot in the VFL? No.

It's not as clear cut as being held back. I never thought he def should be playin seniors. Although I wanted him to play because of his potential.

Tonight was expected of him. Will take another two years. But he never def earnt a game at St Kilda.
how about when he kicked 5 goals

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:He is a quality player, nothing less. I couldnt care less if we got 2 4 6 or 80 draft picks for him. we lost a quality future leader.
that's as stupid as those writing him off. safest to say that no-one knows yet if he's going to be any good. and no-one will know for a couple of years, probably. no point saying much more.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:A dingbat's got my baby :shock:
But a nimbat got your attention!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
AccidentallyTim
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Ive made up my own word. Footy Nimbat: Someone who thinks he understands the game of Football but doesnt understand the basic fundamentals. Also has outrageous thoughts and ideas that just dont work.

“I think that’s being very disrespectful to Ross Lyon”
Gold!!

I get my comedy FREE @ Saintsational :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Spinner wrote:
Armoooo wrote:We f***ed up, end of story, we had a player on our list who was worth more than what we got for him.

He had earned games (IMHO of course) but he still didn't get his opportunity.

The only way we can come out on top is if he stagnates very badly.

See this is the issue. People blame Lyon for not giving him a game but how many times did you watch him at Sandringham to have the opinion he 'earnt' games.

Did he show glimpses? Yes. Did he play forward a whole lot in the VFL? No.

It's not as clear cut as being held back. I never thought he def should be playin seniors. Although I wanted him to play because of his potential.

Tonight was expected of him. Will take another two years. But he never def earnt a game at St Kilda.
how about when he kicked 5 goals

Ill put that in the glimpse category.

Also this was one of the few games I missed. How did he kick them?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I dont know why anyone would have an opinion on how he will go after last night but I still get staggered that people think we stuffed up because we didnt play him in a couple of games which is really all deserved. He left for money it is pretty obvious so he was going if he played in 2 games or not unless people think we should have paid a guy 200k who has played no games or even 2 games. I saw a fair bit of him at Sandy and he was a 80k player at best.

Team Tommy
Club Player

ShakenNotStirred wrote:Did he trouble the scorers??????
My original Tommy boy did not shine. My new boy did.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I dont know why anyone would have an opinion on how he will go after last night but I still get staggered that people think we stuffed up because we didnt play him in a couple of games which is really all deserved. He left for money it is pretty obvious so he was going if he played in 2 games or not unless people think we should have paid a guy 200k who has played no games or even 2 games. I saw a fair bit of him at Sandy and he was a 80k player at best.
That is good to hear.

Anyway, you would think that Wilkes and Markworth would be just as good and that would be a terrible outcome.

Does anyone know how Wilkes went?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I dont know why anyone would have an opinion on how he will go after last night but I still get staggered that people think we stuffed up because we didnt play him in a couple of games which is really all deserved. He left for money it is pretty obvious so he was going if he played in 2 games or not unless people think we should have paid a guy 200k who has played no games or even 2 games. I saw a fair bit of him at Sandy and he was a 80k player at best.
That is good to hear.

Anyway, you would think that Wilkes and Markworth would be just as good and that would be a terrible outcome.

Wilkes was very rusty. His first three or so kicks didn't hit the mark. He didn't seem to have much intensity, even for NAB standards.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Exactly.

What's the difference between 0 and 2 games in terms of club loyalty. Minimal.

What's the difference between 80k and 135k at this stage of his development? Plenty.

A couple of games last year would have meant little to him staying. Sydney did well. Same as with Mumford. Identified a potential player in the cues, increased their pay packet, and it will pay dividends.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

So we stuffed up cause he walked and he in one game kicked 5 ?!?!?! Didn't Will Johnson kick a bag of 5 + last year ? Beau Wilkes kicked 5 in a WAFL grand final ... Fact it's Walsh in the AFL nab cup games he has played looks miles off from being a player.. I'm disappointed he walked cause all the effort and $$ we put into him was wasted but I'm not heart broken we lost him as a player ... Had he stayed on that performance tonight he would still be playing VFL

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
That is good to hear.

Wilkes was very rusty. His first three or so kicks didn't hit the mark. He didn't seem to have much intensity, even for NAB standards.
cheers old matey..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He was lied to about game time just to get him. On last night it wasn't just stats that showed he is a long way off. He makes primary kids look like they have more idea of the nuances of footy. I was at ground level and he was so busy running around looking at players he didn't watch the ball.

At one point he tackled a Geelong player around the waist and just held him like a hug leaving him to hand ball to who ever he liked under no pressure. Auskick kids would know to grab an arm or at least sling them. It was a relief he wasn't awesome, I have been telling everyone who will listen he is going to be a project and will take plenty of time if he even makes it.

The scary thing is Seb Ross looks like Walsh has been shrunk in the wash. Now that guy knows the games nuances, I'm ready to call him the next Lenny Hayes- don't think I'm going too early on that.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Did tommy even play in the second game ??? I didn't see him on the Stat sheet

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Not sure about Walsh.
But I am allowed to dream:
Does nothing all season, plays against Freo kicks 5 on the condom fitter, wins the game on the siren costing Freo/Lyon a place in the 8!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Not sure about Walsh.
Does nothing all season, plays against Freo kicks 5 on the condom fitter, wins the game on the siren costing Freo/Lyon a place in the 8!

So you want a guy who left for money without proving a thing to beat a guy who left for money who was our best finals performer in 2009.

defacto
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
That is good to hear.

i disagree. i thought his first game he was very effective as a full back. his kicking was on par with the rest of the team. his second game he went forward and i thought he showed that he could provide the third tall option were looking for, to help roo out. i personally would like to see him play in the square.

i think he offers us exactly what we need now. a backman who can play fwd. a fwd who can play back.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Not that fussed about either but would like to find a way to remove Lyon's smirk
Off season have to talk about something.
Tab account empty ,wife not back from shops with saturday papers!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

So you want a guy who left for money without proving a thing to beat a guy who left for money who was our best finals performer in 2009.
What does 2009 have to do with 2012 ??? Wanting him to fail after he has left us doesn't have to discount what he did while he was with us .. Did you hope Luke Ball played a great grand final in 2010 cause he was one of our best performers in 2009 finals ???

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

What does 2009 have to do with 2012 ??? Wanting him to fail after he has left us doesn't have to discount what he did while he was with us .. Did you hope Luke Ball played a great grand final in 2010 cause he was one of our best performers in 2009 finals ???

Stop fighting with your wife. Ball was playing against us. He is talking about 2 teams I couldnt give a stuff about and I am sorry but at least Zac performed for us. Walsh left for money without proving a thing.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

i'll tell you again Plugger:
Didn't like Lyon or Dawson nwhen they were with us but couldn't exactly hope for them to fail then.
HOWEVER they are now the enemy (have no idea about Walsh)

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Just sick of your high and mighty righteous bullsheet you continually spout on here plugger ... Big surprise your on a St Kilda fan forum people are going to be over the top St Kilda bias .. As I said before you remind me of the type of person who stands near the shopping centre Santa telling the kids how stupid they are for believing in Santa ...

saintly
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Longmire made it very clear in the pregame interview he is a project, and will take time.
Longmire also promised him a game in round 1

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
Longmire also promised him a game in round 1
From reports at the time Scott did the same before Walsh decided to remove the black from his jumper.