We may have found a beauty....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: We may have found a beauty....

Reminded me a bit of Winmar (Nicky not Nicholas) in the way he moved in one of the NAB games.

That said, he is pretty slight and skinny ... but who knows. We can dream.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't at the game and only saw Milera in the early praccy's so i am not in any position to argue at all, however I am just wondering why Milera hasn't been picked up previously on an AFL list (or has he?).

There are some players who will always mature later and maybe it is his weight that held him back. After all speed and talent doesn't change to such an extent.

Interesting he hasn't got a go but then again Sam Fisher was 23 when he was picked up and has been a star.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

This article may help to answer that: http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6173976612

When he began working with Wanganeen last summer, Milera was skinny, unfocused and had a questionable workrate. So the duo hit the gym.

"The first few months we were just in the gym doing squats because Gavin said the thing that made him such a successful player was the power in his legs," Milera said. Milera's squat - a full body exercise that trains the muscles of the thighs, hips and buttocks - soon had improved from 70kg to 110kg and his weight beefed up from 68kg to 78kg.

Once the football season started, the pair moved to the city's north parklands for sprint training and the benefits began to show on the field.

"I noticed I had more power in my legs to get to more contests and once I got the ball I could run with it more," Milera said.

We may end up owing Gav Wanganeen a beer or 6!

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for that.

Seems as though he was just too small at 68kgs and had to get some power.

With the advent of GWS and Suns these type of mature aged players will pop up more and more. Obviously overlooked at 18 as too small and even when he thought he had a chance at 22 last year.

Nice to see him really get his attitude and focus together and may well reap the benefit the story says he has always been after.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Bardon Saint
Club Player

Very encouraging signs to read that not one or two but up to half a dozen new players may get games this year. And to read it yet again that Seb Ross will be a gun and there is a touch of Nicky in Milera. Not to get too far ahead of oneself but I can't remember talk like this for a bloody long time. Very exciting. And didn't Markworth get a bag in the ressies (development team or whatever) last week or was that someone else?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Milera certainly does have a bit of the Nicky Winmar's about him, physically. Very similar size and height, with the chicken legs, both quick and very skillful and both capable of taking a big hanger. Maybe Milera just doesn't have the ability to kick the huge torp that Cuz did. Cuz prolly had a bit of a better developed upper body, too.
If Terry ends up anywhere near as good as he was it will be brilliant (although he'd want to be a bit more consistent than Cuz was, as he could go missing for a season at a time).
joffaboy wrote:Thanks for that.

Seems as though he was just too small at 68kgs and had to get some power.

Nice to see him really get his attitude and focus together and may well reap the benefit the story says he has always been after.
No worries and it is great to see that he's prepared to put in the hard yards to improve. With his obvious talent and that sort of continued work ethic he really could go places for us.
Last edited by AnythingsPossibleSaints on Mon 26 Mar 2012 12:25am, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Wasn't at the game and only saw Milera in the early praccy's so i am not in any position to argue at all, however I am just wondering why Milera hasn't been picked up previously on an AFL list (or has he?).

There are some players who will always mature later and maybe it is his weight that held him back. After all speed and talent doesn't change to such an extent.

Interesting he hasn't got a go but then again Sam Fisher was 23 when he was picked up and has been a star.
jb - he was very very slight. he only made sanfl seniors in 2011.
the story is he did a big preseason of weights (with gavin wanganeen) after 2010 and worked on his strength so only really had a break out in sanfl last year.
i think even andrew lovett didnt make afl until 23?
so at 183cm terry could definitely play the next 5-6 years. as u said. some bloke mature later.
no doubt hes one of them.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

He may have also seen what didn't work for his brother and vowed to learn from all that and not repeat what he went through (ending up delisted by Adelaide).

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:He may have also seen what didn't work for his brother and vowed to learn from all that and not repeat what he went through (ending up delisted by Adelaide).
Looks like Pelchen did a goodun on that trade. If Saad and Milera play 200 games between them its a killer deal. Really hope his knee is ok and he debuts in round 1.

I think its fair to say Saad will play a lot of footy once Milney retires.
And Tezza could be ready to go now. Lord knows we lack pace and blokes who can kick.

Ross who?
Club Player

MILERA- was a standout for me also today. Watched a lot of VFL over the last few years and it was the most dominant I have seen a player(until he went off). Definitely shades of Nicky Winmar with his movement and disposal, and like others said he made it look easy. Walked away from the Intraclub and wasn't all that impressed as he hardly touched it, but WOW! For those who didn't make it to Sandy, just imagine the goal he kicked vs Geelong in NAB rnd1, and he was like that regularly the whole time he was on the field.
Saad and he both marked the same ball in the forward 50 at one stage and both looked at the umpire to see who it was to be paid to. Umpire was a little confused for a couple of seconds so Terry took the ball and headed back to his mark, but then the Umpire paid it to Saad. They both had smiles from ear to ear and had a chuckle about the mix up. My point is, it looked like Two blokes who were having the time of their lives and were very comfortable with where they are at. Seemed to have developed a good bond by a few things that I saw.

DUNELL- This guy played a blinder also. Extremely sticky fingers and presented very well for a great game as 3rd tall forward.

ROSS- Very good at times. Hard as nails. Will play a lot of AFL footy. Had knee bandaged from the start of game and seemed to favor it a little bit IMO.

SIMPKIN- Very good game again from Tom. Some of his defensive efforts were A grade. Was on Roughead for a bit and definitely had the better of him. Tom made one effort to dispossess Roughhead from behind when only 10 meters out. Tom was going to stop him from getting the goal like his life depended on it. He tackled and got a hand in to knock the ball away and was given a free for dropping the ball/incorrect disposal much to the disgust of the Hawks supporters, but it was a certain free. It was a magnificent bit of play. Very smart player and great reader of the game. Expect a lot of AFL from this lad.

CROCKER- Didn't get as much as some of the others but has definitely stepped up a level since last season. Kicking on his left is a delight to watch.

SAAD- Good game, bit patchy, but when he did get it, it was quality. Will be a very handy replacement for Milney in the future. May need a handful of games at Sandy before he is considered for the Saints.

SHENTON- Like Saad was good in patches. Good overhead. Looks like he has the tools to make it. May need a few games to settle possibly.

FERGUSON- Solid game. Have seen him play better. However played deep back and there wasn't as much ball down that end as last year, etc. :lol: Did his job well.

NEWNES- Was decent without being brilliant. Looks composed with the ball. Disposal a query for me.

MINCHINGTON- Another surprise packet for me. Looks very good and I have high hopes for him. Moves well with good disposal. Did some really special things in this game.

WILKES- Played FF and looked very comfortable. Use of his big body was excellent and is great mark also. From what I have seen of him at Saints so far he looks lost playing down back. Really looked good up forward and if he can maintain form up forward at Sandy then I would like to see him given a crack for the Saints(Somehow???). Best KPF on the day by a mile.

As a team Sandy looked a very polished outfit. Looked very good and if they can maintain that form will be a strong team this year.

Blake Acres fan club VIP
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Thanks for the reports fellas it makes for great reading ! How refreshing is it to hear that we have some kids playing for Sandringham that look like they will make the grade. Also hearing how well Sandi played and the players they have recruited this year sounds like they are going to have a solid year !

Just a quick one how did SIKORA go ?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

what f****** game was this??! :shock:

edit
ok the ressies game
thought there was a practice match a week out from round one for a minute :shock:

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Funny I got shouted down by two losers on this site when I mentioned that burkie told me milera was flying

#1 Ryder fan
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like wanganeen has worn off on the boy

#1 Ryder fan
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

It would be slightly funny if Milera became the better player of the two from the trade considering how much fanfare Saad came with.

Hopefully we get two above average footballers out of a minor pick downgrade.

defacto
Club Player

What I find absolutely amazing is it looks like we have got 3 quality players with one pick.

Ross
Milera
Saad

If you can find 3 good players in one draft you are doing very well. If a markworth, newnes, Webster or minchington can work out were flying. Add to that Wilkes.

Time will tell

Quixote
SS Life Member

Anyone know if he got injured yesterday?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Ross who?
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Thanks for the reports fellas it makes for great reading ! How refreshing is it to hear that we have some kids playing for Sandringham that look like they will make the grade. Also hearing how well Sandi played and the players they have recruited this year sounds like they are going to have a solid year !

Just a quick one how did SIKORA go ?
Big unit! Has lost a stack of weight since joining Sandy. Moves well. Played a good solid game, above average. Looked good below his knees and covers a bit of ground.

Blake Acres fan club VIP
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

defacto wrote:What I find absolutely amazing is it looks like we have got 3 quality players with one pick.

Ross
Milera
Saad

If you can find 3 good players in one draft you are doing very well. If a markworth, newnes, Webster or minchington can work out were flying. Add to that Wilkes.

Time will tell
2 picks wasnt it?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

He's no Tommy Walsh.....

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

In terms of sense of occassion -I really hope tezza plays.
Round 1 - single player on debut - away in Port Adelaide against his old side (kind of) in a place familaiar to him.
freshness in to the side.
I know peakey might have to make way - but peakey missing round 1 wouldnt be the end of the world would it. Wd probably hardly notice and its a long season.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:He's no Tommy Walsh.....
:)

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
defacto wrote:What I find absolutely amazing is it looks like we have got 3 quality players with one pick.

Ross
Milera
Saad

Time will tell
2 picks wasnt it?
From memory we traded our pick 20 to GWS for pick 25 (Ross) PLUS Saad and Milera. If they all live up to their potential, or anywhere near it (which I realise is a big, albeit possible "if") it could be just about the best trade of all time. :D

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:He's no Tommy Walsh.....
Tommy who? :smile: :cool:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Funny I got shouted down by two losers on this site when I mentioned that burkie told me milera was flying

Funny that you mention that. How was Wilkes going at the time or Simpkin. lets wait until he plays in the seniors before you get on your high horse. i guess we wont hear from you then. Strange post actually.