Stanley = Positive

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Middo
Club Player

Stanley = Positive

Thought he played a solid game and looked more competive compared to his past games...

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
battye
Saintsational Legend

Re: Stanley = Positive

Yeah, needs about a dozen games on the trot though to see where he's really at.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Stanley and Kosi drifted out of the game but they both looked like they were going to dominate at times. He is marking these days instead of punching the ball away from himself.

PJ
SS Life Member

Want to be positive about Rhys and will be but not from this game. He presented I'll give him that but skill was less than acceptable. All leap and no grab.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Middo
Club Player

PJ wrote:Want to be positive about Rhys and will be but not from this game. He presented I'll give him that but skill was less than acceptable. All leap and no grab.

Yeah just compared to his last games thought he looked like he wanted to be out there ...

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He's not there yet but is showing considerable improvement. If he gets his timing right with the leap (as we saw against Collingwood in the pre season) he will dominate center bounces, and if he learns to stick a mark he'll take some almighty hangers. He's put on a lot of muscle as well, should be able to hold his own against other athletic rucks.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:
PJ wrote:Want to be positive about Rhys and will be but not from this game. He presented I'll give him that but skill was less than acceptable. All leap and no grab.

Yeah just compared to his last games thought he looked like he wanted to be out there ...
Totally agree with that. Big plus for the game (alongside Milera's debut :) )

PJ
SS Life Member

Didn't think it was his best game today but he kept putting in. Must be persisted with - has massive upside.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

needs to stick those marks

he will be fine
needs games and persistence like most of the younger ones do

caught up with his grandparents at training and they were so rapt to see him again
lovely people

will hopefully be a big part of our future

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

He looked like an AFL player today.....

And with his speed and athleticism he is exactly the type of player we sorely need at present.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
treva23

To be honest i was impressed.
The Leap in the ruck that he has reminds me of Nick Naitanui and not to mention the speed. The two boys are the similar height, Naitauni the heavyer but i think with more experiance Stanley, with proper management, can become the next superstar of our club.

My Father named me Trevor after Trevor Barker and Middle Name Anthony after Tony Lockett.
St Kilda is in my blood.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

treva23 wrote:To be honest i was impressed.
The Leap in the ruck that he has reminds me of Nick Naitanui and not to mention the speed. The two boys are the similar height, Naitauni the heavyer but i think with more experiance Stanley, with proper management, can become the next superstar of our club.
Maybe a tad over optimistic to think he will get near Nic Naitauni, but understand that he has similiar attributes.

On last nights game, worth persisting with, especially considering we dont have a ruckman if Mac goes down :shock:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Moved well.....why he is dropping uncontested marks is a worry....he spilt 4 yesterday....a few against collingwood

treva23

joffaboy wrote:
treva23 wrote:To be honest i was impressed.
Maybe a tad over optimistic to think he will get near Nic Naitauni, but understand that he has similiar attributes.

On last nights game, worth persisting with, especially considering we dont have a ruckman if Mac goes down :shock:
Im a St kilda supporter, im a very optimistic person :P
But if Mac Did go down Kosi going to ruck with Stanley would be the only option....and if either of those get injured....the only person with any experience would be....Blake...
Might have to blood Jay Lever

My Father named me Trevor after Trevor Barker and Middle Name Anthony after Tony Lockett.
St Kilda is in my blood.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Have you seen Jay Lever..... If he ran into a senior AFL Ruckman he would snap..... Lenny would do a better job

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Stanley didn't do much but that's ok - he just needs to get games through his body.

I don't really care too much how he performs this year. I'm convinced that if he plays 20+ games, the penny will drop about the level he needs to reach in 2013 and beyond.

We need a another ruckman so badly and this guy has to be it. Let's get games through him and hope he can be competitive. The odd towling up by Cox/Sandilands might show him how hard he has to work, rather than just coasting through at Sandringham.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Richter
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Moved well.....why he is dropping uncontested marks is a worry....he spilt 4 yesterday....a few against collingwood
Yes he did, but even Goddard fumbled a couple yesterday - not sure what that was about.... lack of shrpness early season?

That aside though, IMO the reason why Rhys dropped the marks though is that he is not as inherently talented as other players. If he had been he would have been selected as a top 10 dp and not the 50s (or whatever it was). I'm not too sure what can be done about that.... practice and persistence I suppose... he is still young and is likely to peak in around 3-4 years....

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I must admit that from what I had seen of him over the past 2 years, I didn't think he would make it. Even watching him at VFL level last year, there wasn't too much to get excited about.
To his credit I thought he at least looked like he belonged out there last week. He still has a long way to go, but if he can keep improving on last weeks efforts we just may have something.
Hope for his, and our sake, he continues to get better each week. He has all the athletic attributes.

Saintsational Legend

Double post. Sorry. Edited. :D

Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Have you seen Jay Lever..... If he ran into a senior AFL Ruckman he would snap..... Lenny would do a better job
+1 Jay Lever is a 4 year proposition.
Mac and Stanley will be our ruckmen for the next 5 years week in week out.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Stanley didn't do much but that's ok - he just needs to get games through his body.

I don't really care too much how he performs this year. I'm convinced that if he plays 20+ games, the penny will drop about the level he needs to reach in 2013 and beyond.

We need a another ruckman so badly and this guy has to be it. Let's get games through him and hope he can be competitive. The odd towling up by Cox/Sandilands might show him how hard he has to work, rather than just coasting through at Sandringham.
Agree. We need to persist, show faith and instill confidence.

Im sure IF Stanley "clicks" as a footballer he could be a devastating player...the upside is enormous.

“Yeah….nah””
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Would love to see him take the game on more. Use his speed. Can be a weapon. Keep him in for a while, see how he goes.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Middo
Club Player

Getting Better !!!

Bardon Saint
Club Player

Stanley moving well! Some good signs

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

big positive
hes awesome below his knees. can lead.
and can do the lead behind roo so if roo is covered stanley can run in to the hole.
a lot to like. will cause trouble for opposition backlines.