LYON RECEPTION THIS FRIDAY NIGHT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: LYON RECEPTION THIS FRIDAY NIGHT

SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:Come on Joffa, blind freedy knows Lyin didnt play the kids. Armo only got regular games cause Lenny was injured. McEvoy only cause Gardner was injured. As for Steven, he hardly got regular games. Do you need reminding about Walsh?
yeah whatever :roll:

Facts are. Armo and Steven and Mac were in the team for most of the year. Cripps got a run and got injured, Sipposs got a run and got injured, Stanley showed little and got injured, Lynch got 5 games and was ordinary.

And remind me how many games Walsh has had at Sydney.

No matter what the facts are people will tell you BS like above and expect you to believe it :roll:

Oh and while Lyon "wasn't developing the kids" he took us to successive GF's.

Really some people should pull their heads in, or at least use them to think with.
I liked the way Lyon went about his coaching.

However, you don't critique somebody on an aspect of their coaching one sole year out of 5 years surely?

Let's say gameplan. Sure, he was consistent, and applied himself in the same manner the entire time. Unwavering, expectations of the players didn't diminish.

Playing the kids? Was a foreign concept to him until 2011 for whatever reason, on the record of saying he didn't like to play them until their bodies had matured etc etc. Then suddenly in 2011 kids were given opportunity, almost randomly with no real reason or method?

Personally I think he actually took a whack when the NZL thing happened, he appeared to me by his comments and demeanour to have taken some responsibility for the kids being down, unmotivated and ostracised? It was then we heard of his attending Sandringham games, and giving the kids more opportunity than previous.

His approach to developing youth was strange, and overall, a late exploration of his coaching caper with the Saints.

Just my take, and opinion.
Love ya passion SainterK... and that's my take as well...and I reckon if you're not a 'one eyed' Lyon lover... or blind -you'd have to agree. Bazinga!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
Saint Bev wrote:Come on Joffa, blind freedy knows Lyin didnt play the kids. Armo only got regular games cause Lenny was injured. McEvoy only cause Gardner was injured. As for Steven, he hardly got regular games. Do you need reminding about Walsh?
yeah whatever :roll:

Facts are. Armo and Steven and Mac were in the team for most of the year. Cripps got a run and got injured, Sipposs got a run and got injured, Stanley showed little and got injured, Lynch got 5 games and was ordinary.

No matter what the facts are people will tell you BS like above and expect you to believe it :roll:

Really some people should pull their heads in, or at least use them to think with.

However, you don't critique somebody on an aspect of their coaching one sole year out of 5 years surely?

Let's say gameplan. Sure, he was consistent, and applied himself in the same manner the entire time. Unwavering, expectations of the players didn't diminish.

Playing the kids? Was a foreign concept to him until 2011 for whatever reason, on the record of saying he didn't like to play them until their bodies had matured etc etc. Then suddenly in 2011 kids were given opportunity, almost randomly with no real reason or method?

Personally I think he actually took a whack when the NZL thing happened, he appeared to me by his comments and demeanour to have taken some responsibility for the kids being down, unmotivated and ostracised? It was then we heard of his attending Sandringham games, and giving the kids more opportunity than previous.

His approach to developing youth was strange, and overall, a late exploration of his coaching caper with the Saints.

Just my take, and opinion.

Funny that you never expressed that once last year. And if he was coaching this year I doubt you would again. just remond me of all the young guys apart form Jack, who had bad groins, and Armo who may have lacked certain skills required for the AFL, that should have been played in 2010 and before.

ando051
Club Player

I think the players have moved on and i think all of us move on. This is a professional sport and coaching staff and players have to make a living out of it and money talks. So no one should begrudge a person that choice. The best form of revenge is on the scoreboard, lets try and break down Lyons defencive game with our new multiple goal kicking, 3 tall forward line.

I liked Lenny's comment, "the players are interested to see which midfielder receives the hard tag on Friday night so they can find out which player Ross things is most dangerous". :lol:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Really some people should pull their heads in, or at least use them to think with.[/quote]

Just my take, and opinion.[/quote]

Funny that you never expressed that once last year. And if he was coaching this year I doubt you would again. just remond me of all the young guys apart form Jack, who had bad groins, and Armo who may have lacked certain skills required for the AFL, that should have been played in 2010 and before.[/quote]

Def a combo of things in play. A good run injury-wise early in Lyon's tenure, compatability issues between seniors and magoos that didn't really offer a whole heap of incentive or structure for youngsters to develop and shine, apparent hesitancy by Lyon to play blokes who were physically suspect or not quite ready (perhaps a hangover from Sysdney days combined with 'thinnish' Saints drafting), clear policy to run hard while the window was open therefore use experience, a game plan designed for role players with specific physical attributes (one of which was an ENORMOUS and mature running capacity) , blokes who were finally ready or available when required falling apart when they got there (Stanley, Sippo, Cripps, Steven, Ledger etc)...

The Lyon 'didn't play kids' thing is an urban myth.

The reality of our selection policy is multi-faceted.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon went to the board who he had a poor relationship with during the bye we had last year in round 4 in April!

He knew then that a rebuild was necessary and seeing as though the current board had insisted on inserting "get out clauses" in the contract when it was first extended that were not there when the previous board signed him initially then it is only reasonable that he should seek some form of security for his family!

We had lost 2 and drawn 1 at the time!

Ross Lyon sought a new three year deal > $650,000 per year > the board rejected it > Lyon offered to resign > the board rejected that!

Westaway shared the same opinion as Shane Warne on the game style and had made comment on it ( even in the press )

Lyon had a very frosty relationship with the current board!

Leaving aside the fact that they rode on his coat tails of successive Grand Final appearances ( yet still managed to make a loss of 1.5 million a year later ) the board did not fully support him and their loyalty to him was disingenuous at best!

So with " get out clauses " inserted by the current board which give no security whatsoever it is very reasonable that he chose to leave when another club aware of these " get out clauses " came knocking with none of that nonsense providing him and his family with far more security and a lot more money!

Who would knock that back?

Ross Lyon was a few player skill errors, a goal umpire mistake and some dodgy Shaun Ryan decisions in 2009 from being an all time St kilda Football Club legend!

Shaun Ryan is a lawyer who grew up supporting Geelong as a kid and quite obviously found it difficult to remain impartial!

In 2010 we drew a Grand Final with the filth whose players were detected with " ELEVATED " levels of performance enhancing drugs in their bodies!

A complete cover up by the AFL and if anyone bothered to dig deeper we would have the greatest controversy in the history of the game but the AFL made sure this was swept under the carpet such was the magnitude of the cheating and the ramifications!

If our board were not completely asleep at the wheel they would have launched a full scale investigation to uncover the real truth!

Once again Ross Lyon through no fault of his own was denied his place in history to be revered as an all time St kilda Football Club legend!

Ross Lyon deserves nothing but respect for the amazing job he did at the club while having to put up with total dumb **** president and an incompetent board!

In Ross Lyon's last draft we gained Crocker, Cripps, Ledger, Sipposs etc...

The rebuild had already started and he is on record as saying that he was now turning to youth!

If Ross Lyon was standing before me I would seek to shake his hand and thank him!

I'm sure there will be imbeciles who will boo him but it only shows them up for the vacuous numbnuts that they are!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Barks, that post was like a drug experiment…

Starts off nice, kinda makes sense…

Then gets a little weird but still manageable…

Then whoa, it's all out of control, nothing makes sense, I wanna get off this crazy ride…

Then finally it's all over,

You should sell that shiz…

Anyone else wanna B4E? they're friggin' badas - will blow your mind.

mcadam05
Club Player

There are reasons to boo Lyon but his record as coach is not one of them and why has no one brought up Zac Dawson he deserves to feel the wroth of everyone of us, St Kilda saved him from being ' that guy rocca kicked 8 on' to a pretty handy footballer and then how does he thank us?? by F****** off to Fremantle

markp
Saintsational Legend

Lyon should've flogged the kids from day one like Ball was flogged.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ill tell you one thing
this shite house quote system on this site is crap (look at tefs last post)
you start reading and then realize its a friggin quote youve read before

there is no distinction between new post and old quote until you see [/quote] at the end of reading

seriously this is amateur
you wanna fix it mods?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:ill tell you one thing
this shite house quote system on this site is crap (look at tefs last post)
you start reading and then realize its a friggin quote youve read before

there is no distinction between new post and old quote until you see at the end of reading

seriously this is amateur
you wanna fix it mods?
I think that was a user-generated mistake…
All the other quotes are okay…

Maybe he deleted some of the leader info.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Hey Barks, Lyon's lack of player development came at a cost. I certainly don't credit the coach as the main reason we got into Grand Finals either. He was given an opportunity and he failed. You can have your excuses and blame passing bs, just like Lyon, but the sad fact of the matter is that he was outcoached and we should've done better. He's no better than Stan Alves is he?? (as far as coching - because Stan is a for more respected person that Lyon will ever be!!) His penchant for recycled players was not the best thing for our footy club going forward and I seriously doubt that he can nurture and develop young blokes and instill confidence.

During the GFC in 2008/2009 and even up 'til today Lyon and the rest of us ordinary investors learnt valuable lessons and learnt that just because things are on the up, doesn't mean they'll always be good. Before GFC every Financial Planner out there was telling us you have to put your money in offshore markets and overseas sharemarkets so that you; 'don't miss out on the growth.' Snot nose 20 somethings were signing peoples retirement funds away and earning 100,000 bonuses. Their clients would meet with the snot planners every quarter and there'd be high fives as the markets went up 10% in some 3 month periods....The point is any knobulous could invest and make money on the rising sharemarkets and any one in charge of the Saints list in 2007 when Lyon was handed that list, would have had finals success of some sort. Your messiah, however couldn't take us to the summit. The appointment of Pelchin signalled the start of the end to Lyon as a 'career coach.' The GFC, to continue with the analogy, also signalled the death knell for a lot of snot nose planners who have since lost their jobs (people take a while - but they eventually catch on)... You mark my words...3 years from now the Freo fans and sponsors will be demanding Lyon be sacked.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

it happens all the time
after two quotes it goes into meltdown

crapola
real upgrade huh

St Lenny
Club Player

When Lyin was at St Kilda I was happy enough. Didnt necessarily like our boring game plan, but having followed St Kilda for so long with no trophy, I wasnt overly fussed, I just craved success and respect. What I didnt like was how the fans dropped away. Was that due to the game plan, a lot said yes, who knows? I wanted him to stay and thought he would stick with us and rebuild. I dont have a problem with him leaving, he has a family to consider and thats fine. Its how he went about it. He lied to many people and he did the wrong thing by many people. In my personal life if a friend lied and treated me like that the friendship would be over. And so it is, I have no respect for Ro$$ Lyin and the way he treated our club.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:In my personal life if a friend lied and treated me like that the friendship would be over. And so it is, I have no respect for Ro$$ Lyin and the way he treated our club.
That's the point, this is business not personal. No-one entertaining a new job offer would tell their current employer. We didn't offer him job security, someone else did. That is all.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Funny that you never expressed that once last year. And if he was coaching this year I doubt you would again. just remond me of all the young guys apart form Jack, who had bad groins, and Armo who may have lacked certain skills required for the AFL, that should have been played in 2010 and before.
Firstly, why do you have this unwritten law that something has to be expressed prior to his departure?

Secondly, where did I say anything about him not playing some kids wasting away during 2007-2010?

I am perfectly comfortable in saying that he went from zero youth policy to the other extreme.

There wasn't many kids prior to that because, as you know, many picks were used on recycled players, and not many lowish picks were activated to pick up a youngster.

Just pointing out that there was a significant shift late in his coaching tenure in how he went about it, the year we picked up the likes of Siposs, Cripps, Ledger....Polo and Gamble were very late picks, almost the last in the draft.

Do you know why?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:it happens all the time

crapola
real upgrade huh
Is anything worthy of a double quote on here?

And again..... Cheese grater.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
markp
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:
matrix wrote:it happens all the time

crapola
real upgrade huh
Is anything worthy of a double quote on here?
Not really.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I am taking my 10 y/o son to the game - if I wasn't I would be giving LYON an absolute spray! The way he left the club displayed a person with absolutely 'no class or footballing morals' at all. To do that to Mark HARVEY and the club that gave him his chance was dispicable! He was a good coach for the club but he also had some pretty significant short comings which were the result of his stubborn ignorance.

- His treatment and handling of Luke BALL in the 2009 GF and then post was disgraceful.
- His handling and support of the young players was short sighted and ignorant.
- His game plan and development of alternative methods to goal was ordinary.
- His trust in players and other line coaches was not that of a strong leader.
- If he had of corrected any or all of the above we would have had two more flags to our name.

Hence my reckoning is that St Kilda fans owe this money grabbing lying cheat, no loyalties what so ever and should make him taste a some of the anguish he has caused us over the past several years!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

WinnersOnly wrote:I am taking my 10 y/o son to the game - if I wasn't I would be giving LYON an absolute spray! The way he left the club displayed a person with absolutely 'no class or footballing morals' at all. To do that to Mark HARVEY and the club that gave him his chance was dispicable! He was a good coach for the club but he also had some pretty significant short comings which were the result of his stubborn ignorance.

- His treatment and handling of Luke BALL in the 2009 GF and then post was disgraceful.
- If he had of corrected any or all of the above we would have had two more flags to our name.

Hence my reckoning is that St Kilda fans owe this money grabbing lying cheat, no loyalties what so ever and should make him taste a some of the anguish he has caused us over the past several years!
"Football morals"...that is a new one...morals are individual and I hope you realise this.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

My prediction is that the crowd will rip into him and the following week we'll be told all week how disgraceful we are.

All I care about is decapitating them on the field.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
resaintlee
Club Player

I would really like to know at what stage during the year of Ball's departure did he first start having conversations with Collingwood?
Was it BEFORE he was dropped?
He was so determined to only go to Collingwood that there must have been something going on.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I'll just let the players do the talking (so to speak). Couldn't give a toss about Ross or Zac anymore to be honest.
I'll just be happy for a win. That will be better than any booing or abuse I could hurl over the fence.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

The Redeemer wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:I am taking my 10 y/o son to the game - if I wasn't I would be giving LYON an absolute spray! The way he left the club displayed a person with absolutely 'no class or footballing morals' at all. To do that to Mark HARVEY and the club that gave him his chance was dispicable! He was a good coach for the club but he also had some pretty significant short comings which were the result of his stubborn ignorance.

"Football morals"...that is a new one...morals are individual and I hope you realise this.
Redeemer I think there is a code of practice amongst player/coaches which Lyon stepped well beyond what is ethical...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon was stuffed around by an incompetent board and used the "get out clause " option that THIS board insisted on inserting!

Seriously the posts on here show how simplistic and stupid most of you people are!

cheers

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

IluvHarvey wrote:I'll just let the players do the talking (so to speak). Couldn't give a toss about Ross or Zac anymore to be honest.
I'll just be happy for a win. That will be better than any booing or abuse I could hurl over the fence.
True