Incompetent umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Incompetent umpiring

I'm interested how Freo get a raft of soft 50 metre penalties, but when bj takes a mark, and is slung to the ground afterwards, while an unmarked Milne is running into an open goal and nothing happens is just mind boggling.

I am interested that Riewoldt is forearmed across the face with such force that he is on his knees for more than a minute is not seen as high contact and it is play on.

I am interested that we are penalised for a push whle in posession but when one of our players is pushed in the back while the ball is out of play right in front of the umpire and not two minutes since the previous free was given, nothing happens.

Umpires dont cheat, and they have a very difficult job, but the inconsisencies and the complete protection these inconsistencies get from the AFL continues to erode the confidence of the footballing public.

yes an easy cop out to whinge "we wuz robbed" by the umpires. Personally I though Freo when much more skilled, and execute their game plan with so much more precision, they probably still would have won the game.

But the gross incompetency and inconsistency of the umpires diminished any chances the Saints had of winning. Fremantle deserved their win, were better on the night, but were certainly assisted by poor an inconsistent umpiring.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I am interested that Riewoldt is forearmed across the face with such force that he is on his knees for more than a minute is not seen as high contact and it is play on.
there was also one in the second quarter where a freo defender ended up down behind play for at least a minute. no idea what happened but presumably that should have been a free kick as well?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
joffaboy wrote:I am interested that Riewoldt is forearmed across the face with such force that he is on his knees for more than a minute is not seen as high contact and it is play on.
there was also one in the second quarter where a freo defender ended up down behind play for at least a minute. no idea what happened but presumably that should have been a free kick as well?
Probably. However I understand something being missed behind play, that can happen, but to miss what happened to Riewoldt in a pack mark with the umpire metres away looking at play is inexcusable.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Probably. However I understand something being missed behind play, that can happen, but to miss what happened to Riewoldt in a pack mark with the umpire metres away looking at play is inexcusable.

It was an obvious free so you can only suggest the umpire was blind sided. It is happening more and more due to the amount of players around packs these days. I umpired a D1 game in the Ammos yesterday. First game in 3 years and even in that lower grade the amount of players around the ball is different to 3 years ago and it is all because most sides in any comp are now doing the press. it will change again as soon as a side beats the press and wins the flag then we will follow how that side plays.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: It was an obvious free so you can only suggest the umpire was blind sided. It is happening more and more due to the amount of players around packs these days. I umpired a D1 game in the Ammos yesterday. First game in 3 years and even in that lower grade the amount of players around the ball is different to 3 years ago and it is all because most sides in any comp are now doing the press. it will change again as soon as a side beats the press and wins the flag then we will follow how that side plays.
I thought that happened last year?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
plugger66 wrote: It was an obvious free so you can only suggest the umpire was blind sided. It is happening more and more due to the amount of players around packs these days. I umpired a D1 game in the Ammos yesterday. First game in 3 years and even in that lower grade the amount of players around the ball is different to 3 years ago and it is all because most sides in any comp are now doing the press. it will change again as soon as a side beats the press and wins the flag then we will follow how that side plays.
I thought that happened last year?

Geelong still do the press but they attack differently to some other sides. They certainly changed to be more like the Pies last year. The hawks certainly play differently to other sides but it takes enormous skill the way they play.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Hawks Eagles: desperate, bitter struggle played between two good sides (although if St K or Swans were playing it would be ruinous to the code - I digress). WC were the better side, but the Hawks were cruelled by two disgusting adjudications late at a time when they were really surging. A hold the ball paid agaisnt on the wing, and another when Nic Nat absolutely molested someone in a ruck contest the result of which was an Eagle goal.

They were clear cut. They were critical.

No one says it's easy, this umpiring caper, but the game evolves, players adapt. The umpires, though, ain't keeping up.

Anyone else reckon the Geesh might cop the blowtorch this week? I can't help but think week to week he directs them to focus on something new, something that is confusing and difficult to implement, and that's why we get inconsistency.

Something aint' working.

Do we need an extra field ump?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Hawks Eagles: desperate, bitter struggle played between two good sides (although if St K or Swans were playing it would be ruinous to the code - I digress). WC were the better side, but the Hawks were cruelled by two disgusting adjudications late at a time when they were really surging. A hold the ball paid agaisnt on the wing, and another when Nic Nat absolutely molested someone in a ruck contest the result of which was an Eagle goal.

They were clear cut. They were critical.

No one says it's easy, this umpiring caper, but the game evolves, players adapt. The umpires, though, ain't keeping up.

Anyone else reckon the Geesh might cop the blowtorch this week? I can't help but think week to week he directs them to focus on something new, something that is confusing and difficult to implement, and that's why we get inconsistency.

Something aint' working.

Do we need an extra field ump?

I question whether money is getting paid outside their wages as it seems to be more and more critical decisions made. If it's incompetence someone should fall if it's corruption the AFL should fall for not making any effort to avoid it.

The Carlton game was pretty s*** too. How can so many mistakes get made?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I question whether money is getting paid outside their wages as it seems to be more and more critical decisions made.
"more and more"? back in the good old days there were never any decisions made in the last five minutes of close games?

ace
Saintsational Legend

Demetriou is more interested in providing prayer rooms for muslims than competent umpiring.

Maybe if the team turned out in thobes, ghutrahs and agals the umpires would be instructed to favour them.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Demetriou is more interested in providing prayer rooms for muslims than competent umpiring.
does demetriou run docklands now?

Freebird
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:Several times as we were about to get in front inexplicable decisions were played which hadn't been played all night. Dempster head over the ball was collected heavily and the play went on but then when Kosi marked they overturned the decision because he used his strength same with Goddard. They just completely under officiated for 99% of the match and then found trivial incidents to blow the whistle. they are either incompetent or on the take, I would be checking how they pay for holidays and cars if I was the AFL integrity officer or what ever they name the guy who jerks off in a back room somewhere at AFL house.

BJ's decision was 100% correct. When was the Kosi one. Cant remember it.

Who do you think you are 66?

BJ's decision correct...why would anyone listen to you

Explain to me why it was against bj because that decision was the turning point more than any other.

He ran hard toward the man and then watched the ball from ten metres of drop zone the other guy jumped early into him and bj held his position...

All the commentators would have said strength (alah cloke in most of his marking contests) if the ump had been consistent.

That was worse decision of night and most telling...in fact the freo player tried to shepherd him away by jumping early.

Forget it..i don't want to know your bullshitt response...if all things reversed and the freo player did what goddard did and was paid the mark you would have not had anyone complaining.

GSG
Club Player

Freebird wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:Several times as we were about to get in front inexplicable decisions were played which hadn't been played all night. Dempster head over the ball was collected heavily and the play went on but then when Kosi marked they overturned the decision because he used his strength same with Goddard. They just completely under officiated for 99% of the match and then found trivial incidents to blow the whistle. they are either incompetent or on the take, I would be checking how they pay for holidays and cars if I was the AFL integrity officer or what ever they name the guy who jerks off in a back room somewhere at AFL house.

Explain to me why it was against bj because that decision was the turning point more than any other.

He ran hard toward the man and then watched the ball from ten metres of drop zone the other guy jumped early into him and bj held his position...

All the commentators would have said strength (alah cloke in most of his marking contests) if the ump had been consistent.

That was worse decision of night and most telling...in fact the freo player tried to shepherd him away by jumping early.

Forget it..i don't want to know your bullshitt response...if all things reversed and the freo player did what goddard did and was paid the mark you would have not had anyone complaining.

Just ignore P66. I’m not a great contributor to the forum, but love reading it, but anything by P66, I just skip – don’t bother reading it any more.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Look I know you said dont worry about it but i feel sorry for you afterall you are going to the footy and dont know the rules. BJ ran at the player with his eyes on the player. Nothing wrong with that but it does get the umpires attention. He then pushed the player front on which is a free against every time. BJ then turned around and marked it. The problem was he gave an obvious free away before the mark. Now go by a rule book. It will make the game more enjoyable knowing the rules. If you arent old enough to read I will read it for you over the phone.

Freebird
Club Player

Thats how the ump seen it but it did nt happen that way...and if you watch cloke then that shoots down your every time argument.

most at the game would have thought the freo player jumped too early with goddard getting the free/mark. but who would know with the umps.

You have to be on something if you think the umps do something everytime consistnetly
Last edited by Freebird on Sun 22 Apr 2012 6:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Look I know you said dont worry about it but i feel sorry for you afterall you are going to the footy and dont know the rules. BJ ran at the player with his eyes on the player. Nothing wrong with that but it does get the umpires attention. He then pushed the player front on which is a free against every time. BJ then turned around and marked it. The problem was he gave an obvious free away before the mark. Now go by a rule book. It will make the game more enjoyable knowing the rules. If you arent old enough to read I will read it for you over the phone.

Is it a rule that you are allowed to throw a player to the ground after they had taken a mark and not get a fifty paid against you for it?

Seems like the sainted umpires only see obvious free kicks or obvious 50 metre penalties when it suits your argument.

Lance or James??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Look I know you said dont worry about it but i feel sorry for you afterall you are going to the footy and dont know the rules. BJ ran at the player with his eyes on the player. Nothing wrong with that but it does get the umpires attention. He then pushed the player front on which is a free against every time. BJ then turned around and marked it. The problem was he gave an obvious free away before the mark. Now go by a rule book. It will make the game more enjoyable knowing the rules. If you arent old enough to read I will read it for you over the phone.

Is it a rule that you are allowed to throw a player to the ground after they had taken a mark and not get a fifty paid against you for it?

Seems like the sainted umpires only see obvious free kicks or obvious 50 metre penalties when it suits your argument.

I havent commented on that though. You like to pick apart people when they say things. Well this time i have no idea what your comment has to do with the BJ free. i have already said inother post the Rooy one for around the neck was wrong. If someone said that was a correct decision i would have pointed out it was not. I dont get your post. I am talking about the BJ free and nothing else. Was that decision correct or not? I have also never said in any post umpires dont make mistakes. Why do people imagine things like this.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

I havent commented on that though. You like to pick apart people when they say things. Well this time i have no idea what your comment has to do with the BJ free. i have already said inother post the Rooy one for around the neck was wrong. If someone said that was a correct decision i would have pointed out it was not. I dont get your post. I am talking about the BJ free and nothing else. Was that decision correct or not? I have also never said in any post umpires dont make mistakes. Why do people imagine things like this.
Anthony pushed off front on and didn't give away a kick, it was the lack of playing frees then getting technical, yes he should have been watching the ball but other marks similar were played to the marker. This was a game that Dempster prone over the ball was collected with a hip as he bent down and it lead directly to a Freo goal. They let heaps go and then called that which in the scheme of what they let go seemed not in the spirit of the nights umpiring.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Anthony pushed off front on and didn't give away a kick, it was the lack of playing frees then getting technical, yes he should have been watching the ball but other marks similar were played to the marker. This was a game that Dempster prone over the ball was collected with a hip as he bent down and it lead directly to a Freo goal. They let heaps go and then called that which in the scheme of what they let go seemed not in the spirit of the nights umpiring.

It was a bloody obvious free.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

BJ free kick..... Penalized for being a better, bigger, stronger player....

Good mark! If the opponent made a stronger contest, play on would have been called......too strong

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:BJ free kick..... Penalized for being a better, bigger, stronger player....

Good mark! If the opponent made a stronger contest, play on would have been called......too strong

You are 100% wrong. Better read the rule book. Far to easy.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

As a player, you would have made a great umpire.....

I suppose, umpires don't make mistakes, like coaches, recruiters, boards, players.....

Maybe you should watch the replay, the close up might assist your old eyes, which were a minimum 75m from the contest....and have an understanding of a contested mark.

BJ was very happy with the decision, what would he know..... Only 180 games???

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:As a player, you would have made a great umpire.....

I suppose, umpires don't make mistakes, like coaches, recruiters, boards, players.....

Maybe you should watch the replay, the close up might assist your old eyes, which were a minimum 75m from the contest....and have an understanding of a contested mark.

BJ was very happy with the decision, what would he know..... Only 180 games???

Again get personnal and again imagine what I wrote and not what was actually written. Wow a player got upset with a decision. That has never happened before and they have been proven wrong. I have seen the replay 3 times as well as live and it doesnt change the fact it was the right decision. Far to easy.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Can anyone advise if boundary umpires can consult with field umps re decisions?

This would get over the issue of umps being blind sided.

Yes I know this is a simple practical solution so most likely not on the AFL radar....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Can anyone advise if boundary umpires can consult with field umps re decisions?

This would get over the issue of umps being blind sided.

Yes I know this is a simple practical solution so most likely not on the AFL radar....

They cant about decisions and really it would be impossible. I know the AFL do everything wrong but how could that work. Firstly they would need to be as good as field umpires in making decisions so there would be at least 36 more umpires needed and secondly how do they tell them without constantly stopping play.