Umpires Round

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Lenny
Club Player

Re: Umpires Round

Some real shockers last night, how many goals did they get from frees and how many were we awared on the forward line. What does Milne have to do to get a free. Me thinks Scotty needs to have another little chat with them.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

i agree, was one of the first games that i thought sh%t the umps are on the hawks pay role. really turned the game into a frustrating event. I even asked my brother, " do you think afl games are rigged?" sure felt that way. at-least three goals where gifted to the hawks. every time we got back in it bang stupid decision. what's with umps now ignoring roo?

Fortius Quo Fidelius
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Let's get this straight

If you make a wrong call, you make another wrong call to even things up???

Fair dinkum

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Let's get this straight

Fair dinkum

Just telling you the rule. The second call though is supposed to be the correct call.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Fair dinkum

Just telling you the rule. The second call though is supposed to be the correct call.
P76 is usually the voice of reason around here when everyone else is having a whinge but how you could possibly justify that not being paid a mark is incredible. He grabbed the ball cleanly and then pulled it back to his chest.

The Hawthorn player then knocks it out of his hands after he has controlled the ball. Could have been 50 if the umpire deemed it was late but at worst it is a shot on goal from 15m out.

But the umpire blew the whistle for a mark which was correct and then called play on which was incorrect. Maybe you could check your rule book for that.

BTW. Hawthorn didn't run it up the other end for a goal as many have implied.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintkellerm
Club Player

My husband stayed home (Sydney supporter, but usually comes with me - he actually has a SC membership in his name) and so I went along. As soon as I got home, even he thought some of the decisions were shocking and the first thing I asked was what about the commentators what did they say? They thought there were some free kicks missed to Saints as well. I have never seen so many frustrated Saints supporters because some decisions by the umps. I can usually take one or two missed, but there were some shockers and I felt the frustration as well. The worse thing is it feels like the umps have it in for us in some of the games I have seen eg freo and hawks.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Fair dinkum

P76 is usually the voice of reason around here when everyone else is having a whinge but how you could possibly justify that not being paid a mark is incredible. He grabbed the ball cleanly and then pulled it back to his chest.

The Hawthorn player then knocks it out of his hands after he has controlled the ball. Could have been 50 if the umpire deemed it was late but at worst it is a shot on goal from 15m out.

But the umpire blew the whistle for a mark which was correct and then called play on which was incorrect. Maybe you could check your rule book for that.

BTW. Hawthorn didn't run it up the other end for a goal as many have implied.

That is your opinion but it is my opinion that he paid a mark and then decided it wasnt a mark so he called play on. I have seen it one live but more importantly twice on TV. I still think that is what he called. How else could he call play on?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I don't know what he was thinking but he paid the mark and then called play on. It was an incorrect decision whichever way you look at it because Stanley definitely took the mark and he definitely did not play on.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
St.Carl
Club Player

Agree - absolutely pathetic umpiring. At least 2 gifted goals to Cyril, Buddy able to put an arm over Dempster's shoulder as he pushes him out of the way long before the ball gets close to him (about 8 min into final quarter) etc etc. What topped it off for me was the call for a video on Roo's goal - dead centre between the sticks - honestly, how blind do you have to be!!

St Carl
St.Carl
Club Player

Agree - absolutely pathetic umpiring. At least 2 gifted goals to Cyril, Buddy able to put an arm over Dempster's shoulder as he pushes him out of the way long before the ball gets close to him (about 8 min into final quarter) etc etc. What topped it off for me was the call for a video on Roo's goal - dead centre between the sticks - honestly, how blind do you have to be!!

St Carl
St.Carl
Club Player

St Carl
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:That advantage call was just wrong. No excuses just a wrong decision cost us a goal. Mind you from the kick in they goaled. The fifty to Rioli was WRONG then to make it worse Polo marks gets tackled gets nothing. Then Stanley marks ump calls play on. How the f*** do they get AFL gigs with such simple decisions called so wrong.

Thought the umpiring was poor but a couple you pointed out were actually correct. Jack stupidily took advantage and missed the goal. You dont get 2 chances because you miss. The Stanley mark was the incorrect and correct decision. He paid a mark that wasnt held which was the incorrect part but then correctly called play on because he was incorrect in the first instance and that is what you have to do as an umpire. The Rioli 50 looked incorrect to me thats for sure.
Jack kicked the ball off the ground under preasure. He would have been unaware of the free. What made that call worse was later on a free to The Hawkes was awarded and Jordon Lewis took off and the umpire waved him on he then realised he was hot and stopped and put up his hand. The ump allowed him to then take his kick.

Rioli got three goals from blatant errors. The front on contact to Gilbert not payed, the fifty against Jones how thats fifty I dont know then the worse the blatant duck into Polo.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Jack kicked the ball off the ground under preasure. He would have been unaware of the free.
the whistle was about half a second before he kicked it - plenty of time for him to react. he just thought he could kick the goal so he gave it a go.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Fair dinkum

Wrong!

First call is the only call. The decision shouldn't be changed after the whistle is blown.

1. Rioli should have been penalised for ducking
2. Stanley should have been awarded the mark
3. The Steven advantage was not advantage as the umpire barely blowed his whistle. All he did was create confusion. Advantage became disadvantage. It's such a lopsided stupid rule.

The rules committee should be disbanded as they are ruining the game

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
CURLY wrote:Jack kicked the ball off the ground under preasure. He would have been unaware of the free.
the whistle was about half a second before he kicked it - plenty of time for him to react. he just thought he could kick the goal so he gave it a go.
Half a second gee!!! A blokes got an opponent up his tail the ball falls over a pack and he kicks it off the ground NO ADVANTAGE!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Interesting thread this. Good for debating.

The whole umpiring debate could be quashed by publishing the missed & unwarranted free kicks each week. Afterall, there is a lot of money bet on footy these days, and the AFL take a cut out of the gambling dollar.

*This idea may not be helpful at junior and/or grassroots levels but we are talking about the TOP level here !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Interesting thread this. Good for debating.

The whole umpiring debate could be quashed by publishing the missed & unwarranted free kicks each week. Afterall, there is a lot of money bet on footy these days, and the AFL take a cut out of the gambling dollar.

*This idea may not be helpful at junior and/or grassroots levels but we are talking about the TOP level here !!
Im not a supporter that expects everything to be picked eg little throws or slight hands in the back. What I want is just consistancy. A grab of the jumper after the mark is fifty but a bloke marks it gets tackled to the ground nothing. That ridiculous advantage call on Steven and Stanley only to see a Hawke player get called to play on then stop and allow him to take his kick. They cant be excused its a joke.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

Even a Collingwood supporter commented as to how bad the umpiring appeared to be.

And that is saying something.

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

I am like everyone here.......I never normally worry about the umpiring but the other night was something else!
I was absolutely pissed off like never before and if any Hawthorn supporter said something to me, I would have
started throwing a couple of hay makers! How can it be sooooooooooo bad so often this year? What is going on?

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:The whole umpiring debate could be quashed by publishing the missed & unwarranted free kicks each week.
yep, agreed.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:+1 you know who s***s me though it is Finey on SEN. He always sticks up for the umps and is our only genuine voice in the media. It's so frustrating.

The AFL told sen that Thommo goes or their broadcast licence does. Finey is the AFL puppet of the decade and aggravates like a shock jock while bagging his own team and praising poor umpiring. I can't hear his whiney voice without wanting to vomit.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
andrewg wrote:+1 you know who s***s me though it is Finey on SEN. He always sticks up for the umps and is our only genuine voice in the media. It's so frustrating.

The AFL told sen that Thommo goes or their broadcast licence does. Finey is the AFL puppet of the decade and aggravates like a shock jock while bagging his own team and praising poor umpiring. I can't hear his whiney voice without wanting to vomit.

Yep you really know Finey. The last thing is that he is an AFL muppett. Think we have the muppett sorted out. What he has done in the last 2 years is umpire which he has never done previously and realises how hard the game is to umpire even in lower standards.

SaintJohn1956
Club Player

From where I sat the worst ones were the free kick against Armitage after Hodge nearly killed him with knees in the back - why was that a free kick.

In almost the same spot Blake was in front at the boundary throw in - the Hawthorn ruckman had his arms around him and Blake gets a free against him for shepherding????

Again earlier in the game Hawthorn player passed about a 5 metre kick umpire blows whistle for a mark.

Saint John
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

SaintJohn1956 wrote:From where I sat the worst ones were the free kick against Armitage after Hodge nearly killed him with knees in the back - why was that a free kick.

In almost the same spot Blake was in front at the boundary throw in - the Hawthorn ruckman had his arms around him and Blake gets a free against him for shepherding????
The first one was paid against Milne for grabbing Hodge...Probably contributed to Hodge getting Armitage the way that he did...Another totally unnecessary free given away by Milne.

The ruck frees are a lottery...Not even the players know which way they will be paid. It is comical when the whistle blows and nobody, to a man, knows which way the free kick is going to go...Not even the player about to be given the ball. We got one last week paid to Stanley in the last quarter. Those ones are swings and roundabouts...you take them when they are given and move on.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Yep you really know Finey. The last thing is that he is an AFL muppett. Think we have the muppett sorted out. What he has done in the last 2 years is umpire which he has never done previously and realises how hard the game is to umpire even in lower standards.

Yes interesting to bag Fine for not barracking when he needs to try to be objective as a broadcaster :roll:

Oh BTW he highlighted FIVE instances where poor umpiring mistakes cost St.Kilda goals on Saturday night. He was scathign on the umpiring, but CORRECTLY pointed out that the best team still won, because as we all know you can automatically give the Saints five goals as if the first mistake wasn't made the whole game changes.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)