Round 7 Team

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 7 Team

Cant believe Cripps in/out like yo yo and Ledger cant get a run??

Ray is not the future.

“Yeah….nah””
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:Cant believe Cripps in/out like yo yo and Ledger cant get a run??

Ray is not the future.
Maybe the coaching group sees Cripps as a bit fitter currently? No idea however there will be a good reason for it.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Obviously Ray is in for Fisher in the back half.

I can't believe what's up with Wilkes. Maybe his "grabbing" the red vest and looking pissed off the other week has not pleased the coach.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Jacks Back wrote:Obviously Ray is in for Fisher in the back half.

I can't believe what's up with Wilkes. Maybe his "grabbing" the red vest and looking pissed off the other week has not pleased the coach.
So Ray is a key back now?

Wilkes would have not received any criticism from the red-vest incident. It was poor timing for all involved but one of those things that happens. Wilkes is back up and I would expect to see him replace Fisher if he is actually injured.

Expect a press release early Monday evening re. Fisher out for 4 weeks? similar to McEvoy...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Geeez.

Ledger stiff.
is ledger the new fall guy? did he pound the coaches wife? or is it some WA thing. scotty being a bit harsh on ledge and wilkesy.
maybe he doesnt want to appear to be playing favourites and is over compensating?
anyhoo. who would i drop? answer. dunno. id drop mcqualter and eddy.

stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Ledger stiff.
is ledger the new fall guy? did he pound the coaches wife? or is it some WA thing. scotty being a bit harsh on ledge and wilkesy.
maybe he doesnt want to appear to be playing favourites and is over compensating?

Or Ledger is the new Tommy Walsh and people just want him selected without seeing his VFL form?

Ledger has had 1 good game recently, the others he was OK. Didnt really stand out and say pick me. Ray has been solid for past month, with an absolute blinder last week. If Siposs gets selected off back 1 good game (& averaged b4 that) then so does Ray.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:Or Ledger is the new Tommy Walsh and people just want him selected without seeing his VFL form?
iMessiah 3.0

not easy to call out at the footy, so I'll concede that it might not take off…

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

On that point, apparently Cripps had a good game last week and so earnt his recall. Now it is up to Tommy to put himself in front of the selectors. No one else can do it for him.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

stkildathunda wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Ledger stiff.

Or Ledger is the new Tommy Walsh and people just want him selected without seeing his VFL form?

Ledger has had 1 good game recently, the others he was OK. Didnt really stand out and say pick me. Ray has been solid for past month, with an absolute blinder last week. If Siposs gets selected off back 1 good game (& averaged b4 that) then so does Ray.
How do u select Sippos off 1 good game the but not Leger who played well last week and was in side for Rd 1 so obviously did all right pre season??

“Yeah….nah””
ThePunter
Club Player

To be fair, from what I have seen, Ledger is an elite ball winner. An inside mid. Hayes, Polo, Jones, Steven... and don't forget how many of Dal Santo's possessions are contested.

On the other hand with Siposs, medium forwards who can kick long and accurately at St Kilda... can anyone name me another?

Ledger will get his chance, but Siposs got his earlier because he fills a clear area of need.

busso mick
Club Player

Maybe it is a team balance thing and if a midfielder got injured or suspended he might have got a call up. Cripps, Siposs and Ray can play in a few positions back or forward, Tommy is a ball-winning midfielder. If Montagna got rubbed out last week he might have got a call up. Either that or the name Tom is taboo at St Kilda for getting an opportunity (unless your surname is Simpkin).

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:To be fair, from what I have seen, Ledger is an elite ball winner. An inside mid. Hayes, Polo, Jones, Steven... and don't forget how many of Dal Santo's possessions are contested.

On the other hand with Siposs, medium forwards who can kick long and accurately at St Kilda... can anyone name me another?

Ledger will get his chance, but Siposs got his earlier because he fills a clear area of need.
Have to agree.

Perhaps this also indicates that Armo has come up OK with his back injury?

Ledger will get a go, it's just the midfield hasn't been affected quite like the backline has with injury this year.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

I'm baffled (like most fans) with the weekly snub that Ledger gets from the selection committee.

I think the reasoning must be that they don't see the team needing another inside-mid. And that's what Ledge is. Cripps gets the nod ahead of him because he's more of a utility; more versatile, though he hasn't displayed the same consistent form that Ledge has. That's the conclusion I have drawn; I might be wrong.

That said, I still think a place in the side should be made for Ledger. The side's main achilles heel at the minute (and has been for a fair while, though it is more apparent this year) is ball use. To me, that means that a question mark gets placed on Clint Jones' place in the team. CJ is a great ball winner, hard worker but his ball use constantly takes the air out of our passages of play during a game. To me, Ledger would be a good replacement and logical one if the side is truly committed to pushing into a new era.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

that's not a bad call, but we'd be a tagger down. but ball use is the issue for sure. which is why Geary can be frustrating, sometimes it's good others not. dido Gram, Blake, Polo, Steven (but he's improving).

Cripps, Siposs, Simpkin, Milera, Saad, Ferguson, Dunell are all decent, and Ledger definitely will be.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
vantheman
Club Player

[/quote]

Ledger has had 1 good game recently, the others he was OK. Didnt really stand out and say pick me. Ray has been solid for past month, with an absolute blinder last week. If Siposs gets selected off back 1 good game (& averaged b4 that) then so does Ray.[/quote]

Great post - at last somebdy gets it!!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:I'm baffled (like most fans) with the weekly snub that Ledger gets from the selection committee.

I think the reasoning must be that they don't see the team needing another inside-mid. And that's what Ledge is. Cripps gets the nod ahead of him because he's more of a utility; more versatile, though he hasn't displayed the same consistent form that Ledge has. That's the conclusion I have drawn; I might be wrong.

That said, I still think a place in the side should be made for Ledger. The side's main achilles heel at the minute (and has been for a fair while, though it is more apparent this year) is ball use. To me, that means that a question mark gets placed on Clint Jones' place in the team. CJ is a great ball winner, hard worker but his ball use constantly takes the air out of our passages of play during a game. To me, Ledger would be a good replacement and logical one if the side is truly committed to pushing into a new era.
Ledger's ball use is not all that flash, he seems to have been to the Gram School of Kicking, slam it on the boot and hope.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
QuestionOfAccuracy wrote:I'm baffled (like most fans) with the weekly snub that Ledger gets from the selection committee.

Ledger's ball use is not all that flash, he seems to have been to the Gram School of Kicking, slam it on the boot and hope.
Patrick Keane‏@AFL_PKeane

Sam Fisher has been withdrawn from the 25-man St Kilda squad for Monday's match v Carlton and been replaced by Tom Ledger.

Timing :)

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:

Yeah but most of those are running out of packs.

Contested ball winners usually suffer on kicking eff.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

Patrick Keane‏@AFL_PKeane

Sam Fisher has been withdrawn from the 25-man St Kilda squad for Monday's match v Carlton and been replaced by Tom Ledger.

ledger wasnt in our group of emergencies so hows he geta game?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote:
SainterK wrote: Patrick Keane‏@AFL_PKeane

ledger wasnt in our group of emergencies so hows he geta game?
Presumably we can change our squad given we don't play til Monday.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Thats the thing Ralphy, they are actually changing the squad and withdrawing Fish now.

Still could be more changes 90 minutes prior to the match.

Knowing how sneaky Watters is, you'd have to think Ledger is in, else why the intrigue?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:To be fair, from what I have seen, Ledger is an elite ball winner. An inside mid. Hayes, Polo, Jones, Steven... and don't forget how many of Dal Santo's possessions are contested.

I get the whole mix of capability but if Leger is an elite ball winner AND has the added bonus of some run and carry (which we are devoid of in a 1 paced midfield) AND is also the future of our club - how can he be overlooked for Polo??

“Yeah….nah””
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

oh didnt know they could do that change the squad i guess monday being our game makes sense :)

stkildajason3votes
Club Player

SaintSimmo wrote:“Sam Fisher remains in the squad at this point, we’re very optimistic that Sam is still a chance to play” Watters

I doubt he plays.

JASON

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

I get the whole mix of capability but if Leger is an elite ball winner AND has the added bonus of some run and carry (which we are devoid of in a 1 paced midfield) AND is also the future of our club - how can he be overlooked for Polo??
He may not have been ever overlooked this week Tef.

He may have always been going to come in, and Scott is just keeping everyone guessing.

I doubt Fisher was any chance.