In defence of Nettlefold

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

In defence of Nettlefold

Ok 8 weeks in to the season and I feel we can make a call that - sure apart from a few blunders and now some bad luck with injured ruckmen - our coach is travelling pretty well. He is certainly outstanding in off-field matters.

Now at the time of his appointment - it seems we went through the most thorough, modern and professional selectionprocess - probably in AFL history.
At the time we copped criticism for taking too long (and ironically that complete douche Caro criticicised us for having a woman on the panel - WTF CARO??? )
The fact is due to timing issues of when lyon left - we were 8 weeks behind some other clubs so really there was no rush because we were the only ones in the market at this stage.

But we stuck to our guns and I think the club has really behaved very professionally since Lyon left - on and off field. I can honestly say IM proud to be a Sainter right now.

Now this brings me to the Demons - a stark contrast to us.

These guys deserve NO sympathy, hand outs or leg-ups. Schwabb and Gary Lyon are just the worst. I remember distinctly that after Neelds appointment that Lyon was on tv big-noting himself saying how it WAS HIM and HIM alone who chose the coach by and i quote 'looking into his eyes'.

What a narcicistic A HOLE of the highest order to think he didnt need to go through the same processes as everyone else.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/d ... 1z1di.html

While club chiefs Don McLardy and Cameron Schwab continued yesterday to emphatically back their senior coach, it has also emerged that Melbourne was the only club of the four headhunting new men late last year that did not use personality-profiling methods as part of its search.
(Meanwhile Brenton Sanderson and Dean Bailey have turned Adelaide in to a lean mean fighting machine).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: In defence of Nettlefold

Now repeating yourself on this board. I think you need to get over them and worry about us especially on this board.
Last edited by plugger66 on Tue 22 May 2012 1:50pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary
Club Player

In 2006 when Grant Thomas was sacked, St Kilda - specifically led by Archie Fraser - undertook easily the most extensive, invasive and thorough search for a coach ever conducted in AFL history (to that point). No club had ever had as many people involved in it's panel, used an external consulting company, spoke to over 50 people initially, and put candidates through as much psychological testing.

Archie and Butterss drove that process, and it was the hallmark of professionalism within AFL circles at the time.

It delivered us a bloke who coached the club to 2 GF's, 3 Preliminary Finals and had a 60% winning record in 5 years.

= good result.

In 2011 when Ross Lyon resigned, St Kilda - specifically led by Michael Nettlefold - undertook to beat the professionalism of their efforts in 2006, and undertook a patient, thorough and involved search, which was even more professional than their previous effort. Specifically important was the role of the woman from the NSWIS, who has regularly appoints team coaches in 20 different Olympic Sports. The club drew up a very clear set of objectives, agreed upon by all involved. The club conducted two rounds of interviews, short-listed candidates, involved a range of people in the decision-making process, and conducted extensive psychological testing.

Nettlefold and Pelchen drove that process, and it is the hallmark of professionalism within AFL circles at the present time.

It has delivered us a bloke who we cannot measure (yet) - but early indicators are that he is doing at least a decent job.

= good result.

St Kilda are easily one of the most professional clubs in the AFL in the way they conduct and manage their football & administration departments, have have been since the beginning of the Butterss presidency.

It's amazing what professionalism and a thorough process can deliver.

Legendary
Club Player

And just to add to that - both Ross Lyon and Scott Watters achieved the highest score on their respective psychological profiles for their ability to deal with pressure and in the way they reacted to difficult situations. In particular, Ross' score was off the charts. I have a close friend who is a highly paid corporate psychologist and does this sort of thing every day. He puts a great deal of emphasis on this measure/testing as an indicator of success, and was aghast when Melbourne did not go down this path.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Legendary partly true but also very wrong.

A fully professional outfit and that includes the right conditioning crew (GT era) list management (Lyon era) over the past ten years would've delivered more than ZERO flags.

No excuses needed. Simple.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Now repeating yourself on this board. I think you need to get over them and worry about us especially on this board.
well noon reads oppo and i thought it was time to also remind people that we did ok . so this was actually a new thought/thread.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Legendary partly true but also very wrong.

A fully professional outfit and that includes the right conditioning crew (GT era) list management (Lyon era) over the past ten years would've delivered more than ZERO flags.

Can't agree with that about the Lyon era...His list management (or lack thereof) was not realised in the 2009/10 grand final years.

Lyon coached us to a 20-2 home and away season where both losses were by less than a kick and we had the ball in our hands with the ability to win one and draw the other. Only inaccurate kicking saw us lose the 2009 grand final...We were 0.7 in front at 3/4 time...Change that to 3.4 or 4.3 or 5.2 and it's game over and we have our second flag.

In short, we had all the right structures in place in 2009 and very few injuries to key players. It is not the fault of the coach, football department or admin that we didn't win 2009!

2004-2006 is an entirely different story!

defacto
Club Player

agree with con and legendary. something no one can argue, atleast each of board and football dept are doing better than the previous. a flag will come we just need to keep working towards one.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:...We were 0.7 in front at 3/4 time..
You just made me vomit in my mouth a little bit.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:...We were 0.7 in front at 3/4 time..
You just made me vomit in my mouth a little bit.
I do what I can :twisted:

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Legendary partly true but also very wrong.

Can't agree with that about the Lyon era...His list management (or lack thereof) was not realised in the 2009/10 grand final years.

Lyon coached us to a 20-2 home and away season where both losses were by less than a kick and we had the ball in our hands with the ability to win one and draw the other. Only inaccurate kicking saw us lose the 2009 grand final...We were 0.7 in front at 3/4 time...Change that to 3.4 or 4.3 or 5.2 and it's game over and we have our second flag.

In short, we had all the right structures in place in 2009 and very few injuries to key players. It is not the fault of the coach, football department or admin that we didn't win 2009!

2004-2006 is an entirely different story!

agree
discussing the GF at half time , my friends and I noted how well Ball was playing , it wasn't till days after that I learned that he virtually sat on the bench in the last quarter . Was this the fault of the board ?

In red white and black from 73
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Seeing how Con brought up the Demons, people may be interested to know that following the success of his book "The Bubble", David Misson is now working on a follow up detailing his time at the Demons.

Tentatively entitled "I Wish These Lazy Bastards Would Break Out Of A Jog So They Can Get Injured And I Can Justify My High Paid Position", it is expected to be out in time for Christmas  :P

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:In 2006 when Grant Thomas was sacked, St Kilda - specifically led by Archie Fraser - undertook easily the most extensive, invasive and thorough search for a coach ever conducted in AFL history (to that point). No club had ever had as many people involved in it's panel, used an external consulting company, spoke to over 50 people initially, and put candidates through as much psychological testing.

Archie and Butterss drove that process, and it was the hallmark of professionalism within AFL circles at the time.

It delivered us a bloke who coached the club to 2 GF's, 3 Preliminary Finals and had a 60% winning record in 5 years.

= good result.

In 2011 when Ross Lyon resigned, St Kilda - specifically led by Michael Nettlefold - undertook to beat the professionalism of their efforts in 2006, and undertook a patient, thorough and involved search, which was even more professional than their previous effort. Specifically important was the role of the woman from the NSWIS, who has regularly appoints team coaches in 20 different Olympic Sports. The club drew up a very clear set of objectives, agreed upon by all involved. The club conducted two rounds of interviews, short-listed candidates, involved a range of people in the decision-making process, and conducted extensive psychological testing.

Nettlefold and Pelchen drove that process, and it is the hallmark of professionalism within AFL circles at the present time.

It has delivered us a bloke who we cannot measure (yet) - but early indicators are that he is doing at least a decent job.

= good result.

St Kilda are easily one of the most professional clubs in the AFL in the way they conduct and manage their football & administration departments, have have been since the beginning of the Butterss presidency.

It's amazing what professionalism and a thorough process can deliver.

Like the post but two things....

Watters is unmeasurable as you state but you have given him "good result"

Secondly the process previous "GT" was a sham and it was admitted that the "process" was not actually a process. So one extreme by a board to another.

Legendary
Club Player

The process to appoint GT indeed was basically a sham, and my point was that Archie Fraser (a man maligned far too easily by many here) deserves some credit for the professionalism of the process to get Lyon.

The "good result" I referred to re: Watters was that we got the process right. Whether the outcome was correct is still anyone's guess ...

asaint
Club Player

I think Nettlefold weathered the storm after Lyon's departure with a lot of class. He did not get drawn into criticising him at all, which is more than I can say for Lying Lyon. He wasn't above a cheap shot at us. Anyway,despite the shock and anger that may have been going on behind club doors , Nettlefold faced the media and handled it well.
He was mingling and getting feedback from members on members day as well. I am really comfortable with who is runningour club atm.
As for my mate Archie , I will never forgive him for the move from Moorabbin. Thanks a lot. We have to live with that dumb-ass ego driven decision.

Richter
SS Life Member

Legendary you sound like you know what you're talking about. Thanks for the insight.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
rexy
SS Life Member

To be fair we should be by far the most proficient club of any code in appointing coaches. We have sacked and appointed enough in my 37 years!

Maybe this year?
Majority
Club Player

Here is a list of St.Kilda Football Club Coaches from Wikipedia

A
Stan Alves
B
Darrel Baldock
Malcolm Blight
C
Norm Clark
Ansell Clarke
Bill Cubbins
D
Allan Davis
Col Deane
Eddie Drohan
E
Wels Eicke
F
Les Foote
Jim Francis
Fred Froude
G
Reg Garvin
Graeme Gellie
Mick Grace
Fred Green
Eric Guy
H
Alex Hall
Charlie Hardy
George Heinz
Allan Hird, Sr.
J
Allan Jeans
Alex Jesaulenko
Tony Jewell
K
Alan Killigrew
Stuart King
Jack Knight
L
Ross Lyon
M
Dave McNamara
Dan Minogue
P
Bill Patterson
Mike Patterson
R
Charlie Ricketts
S
Ken Sheldon
Jimmy Smith
Ross G. Smith
George Sparrow
T
Grant Thomas
Hugh Thomas
W
Colin Watson
Tim Watson
Scott Watters
Col Williamson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:S ... ub_coaches

More information at http://www.saints.com.au/honour%20roll/ ... fault.aspx

starsign
Club Player

Wow I've witnessed 19 of them ...enough to pick a side with one on the bench
Might have a go at that , but I'm struggling to remember Ecca Guy ever coaching
I go back to Les Foote as a kid down at the junction with my dad and remember vividly watching Keith Drinan kicking out from fullback as I stood on the fence behind the goals
Will have a go at putting them in some sort of line-up for fun

starsign
Club Player

Ok here we go ...pretty flexible side and notreal bad...a few went around ok!
Shelton Foote Francis
Jeans Thomas Guy
Gellie Watson Alves
Waters Baldock Davis
Jewell Blight Killigrew

Patterson Jesaulenko Smith
19th Lyon!!
Not sure on Jim Francis got a feeling he was a ruckman an
Foote could play anywhere Three rovers with Smithy Gellie and Killa
HF line could do with a bit more height today perhaps with Watters there ... Could move Jewell out as he went to Tigers as a FF
Got Jezza on the ball. He could fill a hole anywhere and possibly swap with Watson
Anyone see any improvements ... Oh and there's enough coaches to sink a ship!!
Feel a bit sorry for Lyin LOL!! And sooty for digressing from the OP but interesting nevertheless and WTF carnasaints!
Last edited by starsign on Wed 23 May 2012 8:04am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:Ok here we go ...pretty flexible side and notreal bad...a few went around ok!
Shelton Foote Francis
Jeans Thomas Guy
Gellie Watson Alves
Waters Baldock Davis
Jewell Blight Killigrew

Patterson Jesaulenko Smith
19th Lyon!!
Not sure on Jim Francis got a feeling he was a ruckman an
Foote could play anywhere Three rovers with Smithy Gellie and Killa
HF line could do with a bit more height today perhaps with Watters there ... Could move Jewell out as he went to Tigers as a FF
Got Jezza on the ball. It could fill a hole anywhere and possibly swap with Watson
Anyone see any improvements ... Oh and there's enough coaches to sink a ship!!
Feel a bit sorry for Lyin LOL!!

Obviously the side was picked on playing ability because RL would be in the centre if it was coaching ability.

snowdelisaint
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:Seeing how Con brought up the Demons, people may be interested to know that following the success of his book "The Bubble", David Misson is now working on a follow up detailing his time at the Demons.

Tentatively entitled "I Wish These Lazy Bastards Would Break Out Of A Jog So They Can Get Injured And I Can Justify My High Paid Position", it is expected to be out in time for Christmas  :P
I heard he is calling it "The Hubble" in reference to the timing of their next premiership.

starsign
Club Player

How else would you pick a side Plugger? He could coach from the bench then
Personally I would rather Jeansy and perhaps we could give him a little role on the HBF then !
Oh and one of them actually coached our mighty Monds
Got him?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:How else would you pick a side Plugger? He could coach from the bench then
Personally I would rather Jeansy and perhaps we could give him a little role on the HBF then !
Oh and one of them actually coached our mighty Monds
Got him?

No I havent got him. I know Dave McNamara and Ken Walker coached the Monds. Who is the one in that side. Anyway RL was a better player than Tony Jewell so I reckon he could sneak in to that position. Matter of fact RL was a very good footballer.

starsign
Club Player

It was after my playing days but got a feeling Jim Francis coached them for a season or two but may be getting confused with Kenny Walker who I know actually played for the saints as did Brian Walsh
I actually had RL on the HBF initially with Yabbie coaching the coaches for obvious reasons, but decided to drop him to 19th with that criitical exclamation mark to see who I could bait!... I think we used to say " come in spinner" and perhaps you "fell in hook line and sinker" on that one mate!!
Last edited by starsign on Wed 23 May 2012 9:07am, edited 4 times in total.