Lenny HS article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Lenny HS article

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 6364381769

"ST KILDA midfielder Lenny Hayes today confronted the subject of retirement with the same brutal honesty he plays the game. Hayes admitted he has thought about that dreaded day even as he prepares for his 250th game against Sydney at Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

"Especially coming back from injury. I haven't thought much about it over the previous nine weeks, but, yeah, I know the end is near. But as long as I'm playing a role for the team and they're happy for me to keep playing,'' Hayes, 32, said...."

mcadam05
Club Player

Re: Lenny HS article

ST KILDA midfielder Lenny Hayes today confronted the subject of retirement with the same brutal honesty he plays the game.

Hayes admitted he has thought about that dreaded day even as he prepares for his 250th game against Sydney at Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

"Especially coming back from injury. I haven't thought much about it over the previous nine weeks, but, yeah, I know the end is near. But as long as I'm playing a role for the team and they're happy for me to keep playing,'' Hayes, 32, said.

"I suppose when you get to my age, you know I could be another serious injury away from retirement. So I'm not taking anything for granted and at the moment, I'm pretty much a week by week proposition.

"As long as I can keep stringing games together and the body holds up, my minds still keen and really loving it, who knows. I haven't looked too far ahead, especially when you get to my age.

"It's just get through this year and, hopefully, we can have some success and then weight it up at the end of the year.

"I still love the game more than ever and, when you have a year out, you realise how much it does mean to you and how much enjoyment you have. I wouldn't want to be doing anything else and I still love it and I'll keep playing as long as the club wants me around.''

Hayes has averaged 22 disposals a game since he broke into the Saints senior team against North Melbourne in round 5, 1999. And knee reconstructions in 2006 and last year hasn't dimmed his hope that he can play in a premiership team before his grand career ends.

"I probably wouldn't be playing if I didn't think we're still a chance to make that final weekend. You don't tend to reflect back too much, but I still have a lot faith in this team,'' he said.

"I think we've added a bit this year and we've still got that core group of players. And our best can match it with anyone, it's just consistently performing. It's a pretty open year and we're probably just a little bit off the mark (right now). But as we showed a fortnight ago (against Carlton), our best can match it.

"I think our best can match it with any side, but we've just been a little inconsistent. We've had a lot of young guys step up which has been exciting. It has great to see their development, so we have a bit of upside yet.''

On rediscovered form this season in the tough role as an inside midfielder, Hayes said: "I suppose with any long-term injury there's a little bit of uncertainty when you come back. I was probably lucky in a sense that I did it so early in the season, I got a full pre-season behind me.

"You do have a few demons, but those first couple of training sessions when you get tackled or knocked, once they were out of the way I was pretty right to go.

"With a lot of injuries, you need a bit of luck as well. I haven't had a lot of swelling in the knee and I've been able to play a role for the team and been able to back up each week. And get a bit of training as well, which is important.

"And obviously good management by the club as well. I've had all the resources down here and I'm thankful for that.''

With ruckman-forward Rhys Stanley joining Ben McEvoy on the injury list, the Saints are weighing up whether to promote young Daniel Archer to help out Justin Koschitzke and Jason Blake in the big man duties against the Swans.

"His form has been pretty good in the VFL, he kicked four last week. Kosi and Blakey have done a pretty good job in there. And we've got a lot of depth in our midfield and we've been pretty good in the clearances,'' Hayes said.

And on the 250 game milestone, Hayes emphasised the humility that makes him one of the game's most popular warriors.

"It's probably more for the people around you. I think my Mum enjoys them more than me. You probably look back on them at the end of your career, that's when you appreciate them more,'' he said.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well seeing as it's one of the few times I won't be able to attend (thanks Brother in Law for turning 50 :twisted: ), Lenny will just have to play on for at least another two seasons and get to 300!

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

A yes to that for me, Doc :wink:

noob
Club Player

We won't let him retire. His our best player currently.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

mcadam05 wrote:"I still love the game more than ever and, when you have a year out, you realise how much it does mean to you and how much enjoyment you have. I wouldn't want to be doing anything else and I still love it and I'll keep playing as long as the club wants me around.''
At this stage, the club is going to want him around for a few years yet. If his body holds who knows… Can't see him retiring if he is still our best player, and no doubt he would be leading the B&F at this stage.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Interesting.

But I was assured he was definitely going on, from someone who apparently heard it from the horses mouth. Well I guess that was bulls***.....

And he'll do as I thought
Sit with scotty and weigh up what's best for the team....
If his form is great and the team is still going OK.... He'll continue
If its obvious we need to regenerate or he starts to struggle.... He retires

He has returned from the knee remarkably well

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Interesting.

But I was assured he was definitely going on, from someone who apparently heard it from the horses mouth. Well I guess that was bulls***.....

And he'll do as I thought
Sit with scotty and weigh up what's best for the team....
If his form is great and the team is still going OK.... He'll continue
If its obvious we need to regenerate or he starts to struggle.... He retires

He has returned from the knee remarkably well

No you said he will retire along with Blake. And I thought you understood AFL. Of course he is going to do all that and unless he get an injury of note he will play next year because the club will want him to play where ever we finish this year. You dont get rid of champions who still want to play and are in form.

Lets face it you made a sweeping statement that is looking more stupid by the minute along with your comment that he could have a good year but probably only finish in the top 8 in the B&F compared to probably wining it in previous years. How is that comment looking now expert?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Let's face it

You full of s*** and don't know anything let alone anyone... the article with direct quotes from Lenny acually states his future is far from certain.... And he understands the end is coming

And don't forget Milney.... I said him too....

As I said, he has been remarkable in his return from a knee, stunning most experts....at 32... He would be leading the B&F comfortably. Which is an indictment on our list..... And why we have not improved

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Let's face it

You full of s*** and don't know anything let alone anyone... the article with direct quotes from Lenny acually states his future is far from certain.... And he understands the end is coming

And don't forget Milney.... I said him too....

As I said, he has been remarkable in his return from a knee, stunning most experts....at 32... He would be leading the B&F comfortably. Which is an indictment on our list..... And why we have not improved

You really have no idea. None at all. Hey brain dead what was he supposed to say. I am playing whatever happens this year. Lets face it you will be wrong. You know what wrong is. The opposite of something you have aimed for since birth but still alluding you. By the way you should try and get a friend. Maybe go to Thailand and purchase one. And I dont lie about who I know.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Tut tut...

What's the Thai comment even mean??

Are you going mental..... A desperately pathetic comment....

I would say I have been right about a few things.... But not all

But even your hero Ross Lyon was wrong occasionally, everyone is...... And even you buddy

It seems your even at odds with Len on this one...... You said he wasn't even contemplating retirement, HE said its obviously on the agenda..... Are you calling him a liar??

Which is it?? You sad old man!!!

Get a life

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Well done guys, another good show tonight. :)

Hope the drive home from The McKinnon is a safe one, especially as it's wet out there this evening.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Well done guys, another good show tonight. :)

Hope the drive home from The McKinnon is a safe one, especially as it's wet out there this evening.
Meh 3.5 stars from me... I'm expecting much bigger things tomorrow night after the game :x

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Tut tut...

But even your hero Ross Lyon was wrong occasionally, everyone is...... And even you buddy

It seems your even at odds with Len on this one...... You said he wasn't even contemplating retirement, HE said its obviously on the agenda..... Are you calling him a liar??

Get a life
I think Big Mart knows football and the other idiot can't handle it, hence he attacks BM at every opportunity.... :roll:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:

Get a life
I think Big Mart knows football and the other idiot can't handle it, hence he attacks BM at every opportunity.... :roll:

I think the fact that you think that proves that neither of you know anything. Knew that anyway now confirmed. BM knows jack and gets upset at being called out. Then there is the occasional fool that thinks he knows something. I know the camp you are in. Pity.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

Get a life

I think the fact that you think that proves that neither of you know anything. Knew that anyway now confirmed. BM knows jack and gets upset at being called out. Then there is the occasional fool that thinks he knows something. I know the camp you are in. Pity.
I think you already know i don't give a F**k about what you think or your opinions and i stand by what i said...i think your constant attack of BM is sour grapes..
I think it's attention seeking, i think your counter attacks are weak and baseless, i think your opinion of yourself is inflated and self satisfying....

St Lenny
Club Player

Lenny Hayes is running around like a 20 year old at them moment and clearly one of our best players. I am not going to panic just yet.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

I think you already know i don't give a F**k about what you think or your opinions and i stand by what i said...i think your constant attack of BM is sour grapes..
I think it's attention seeking, i think your counter attacks are weak and baseless, i think your opinion of yourself is inflated and self satisfying....

If you said anything that mattered I would care. As usual you have said nothing. Bye bye and dont come back. And if you even had a slight brain you would see he attacks me but is to arrogant to quote. What more do you expect.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

If you said anything that mattered I would care. As usual you have said nothing. Bye bye and dont come back. And if you even had a slight brain you would see he attacks me but is to arrogant to quote. What more do you expect.
I don't care for people that waffle and you have made waffling an art form, i think your posts are of no benefit to the forum , i think you have reached nearly 30,000 posts without
making a valid contribution. Big Mart gives opinions that are football related, you have shown us that those opinions go straight over your head and in acknowledging that you attack the man which ends up as a waste of band width...I look forward to more more waste of band width... :roll:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Pfffft

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Pfffft
Your contributions are becoming more pftttt as time goes on...keep up the good work

Majority
Club Player

St Kilda coach Scott Watters lauds Lenny Hayes ahead of 250th match

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/st ... 6367424239

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I came in out of the cold to read this garbage..It;s lenny's 250th. Lets all celebrate..

ermm group hug?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

LMFAO.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.