Jack Newnes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Newnes

Teflon wrote:Did ok wont be saying he 200 gamer just yet...
How could a rational thinker make a prediction that Newnes was a monty for 200 games

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
evo
Club Player

When (if) he plays 20 or so games we might be able to judge if he will play 50!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
How could a rational thinker make a prediction that Newnes was a monty for 200 games
Dont know but that was my point..

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

thumbs up from me.
cant believe he is ahead of ledger. but nonetheless looks like he is going to be a good player. did some nice things and competes well. not far off the pace at all.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

He looked over-awed on several occasions in the first quarter, handballing anywhere as soon as he got the ball. It was a big game, lots of pressure, he is inexperienced, light body.

Needs more games, more composure and belief in his own ability. We will see a much better player against Gold Coast.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Junction Oval wrote:He looked over-awed on several occasions in the first quarter, handballing anywhere as soon as he got the ball. It was a big game, lots of pressure, he is inexperienced, light body.

Needs more games, more composure and belief in his own ability. We will see a much better player against Gold Coast.
Like the other time he played the Gold Coast and was not sighted?

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

wait, wait, we aren't chewing up our kids and bagging our recruiting, alternatively wishing we could trade him for 3 round 1 picks? wtf, I thought this was the saintsational drama board :)

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

So, I've stuck my neck out on this occasion. Something I don't normally do, so I can accept the opposing view from posters and that's all good. I know Newnes has done nothing that has that WOW factor at this stage, but in his very first few games since being drafted he has not looked out of place in the games he has played. I think he will develop a surety about his play - one of those hard-working dependable types. I'm not stating that he'll be a star. Jason Blake looked like a 200 game player when I first saw him, and he's never been a star. But he is a fair way ahead of Cripps, in my opinion, even though he is a year younger.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:wait, wait, we aren't chewing up our kids and bagging our recruiting, alternatively wishing we could trade him for 3 round 1 picks? wtf, I thought this was the saintsational drama board :)

No one would give a round one pick for him so he should be publicly shamed for it. Dave Mission should be lynched for picking him because i can't spell Pelchen or Elshaugh, he made us go to Seaford too where there aren't any cafes.

The board should be sacked because they didn't sign Lyon who's a s*** coach but a better s*** coach than the s*** one we got. Roooey, Goddard, Lenny, milney, Montagna, Gram, Fisher should be traded for 20 number one picks in next years draft.

Blake, Gilbert, Clarke and all our youth are all sub standard duds who should be delisted before the end of this sentence. Have you noticed how not one of our players is Chris Judd? No wonder we aren't any good. If Jack Riewoldt had come instead of Armo we would be awesome.

That feels good to let out.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:So, I've stuck my neck out on this occasion. Something I don't normally do, so I can accept the opposing view from posters and that's all good. I know Newnes has done nothing that has that WOW factor at this stage, but in his very first few games since being drafted he has not looked out of place in the games he has played. I think he will develop a surety about his play - one of those hard-working dependable types. I'm not stating that he'll be a star. Jason Blake looked like a 200 game player when I first saw him, and he's never been a star. But he is a fair way ahead of Cripps, in my opinion, even though he is a year younger.

Don't worry putting yourself out there is good, it actually adds to the discussion rather than potters who just hide behind rocks ridiculing people. Jack Newnes is an impressive kid, was very highly rated as a junior and has handled that back pocket role well for a kid. My comparison was Cripps who was recruited as a backline runner but looked completely out of his depth in the NAB when played there.

Newnes has obviously gained the attention of the people that matter and is being fast tracked for a reason. I think I would be pretty confident in saying that of the guys recruited in the last 2 years he is jumping ahead, so on that he is as good a chance of being a 200 gamer as anyone coming through. Keep it up if your right you can bump it and look like a genius, otherwise someone else will make a big call and everyone forgets.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Dan Warna wrote:wait, wait, we aren't chewing up our kids and bagging our recruiting, alternatively wishing we could trade him for 3 round 1 picks? wtf, I thought this was the saintsational drama board :)

No one would give a round one pick for him so he should be publicly shamed for it. Dave Mission should be lynched for picking him because i can't spell Pelchen or Elshaugh, he made us go to Seaford too where there aren't any cafes.

The board should be sacked because they didn't sign Lyon who's a s*** coach but a better s*** coach than the s*** one we got. Roooey, Goddard, Lenny, milney, Montagna, Gram, Fisher should be traded for 20 number one picks in next years draft.

Blake, Gilbert, Clarke and all our youth are all sub standard duds who should be delisted before the end of this sentence. Have you noticed how not one of our players is Chris Judd? No wonder we aren't any good. If Jack Riewoldt had come instead of Armo we would be awesome.

That feels good to let out.
ah, it feels like 'home' all of a sudden :) lol :)

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
mick13
Club Player

Watters did liken his leadership qualities to Lenny Hayes during the pre-season. And later stated they expected Newnes to be elite in 12-24 months.

Watters rates him. Very highly. And I'd expect Jack to play a few games here and there throughout the season.

He did look out of his depth in the first half and I expected him to be subbed. But to come out and actually have an impact in the second half, show some skill, and pace. In one of the most high paced, frenetic and finals like game this year...Think Scotty might be onto something.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Scotty sure knows more than Big Mart

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Yeah.....Big call nominating him as a 200 gamer.....

I'd like to see him comfortable at this level first before predicting his longevity

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Big, early, stupid call but I can see glimpses of Dal and Pendles in him, which from memory is what coaching staff alluded to on draft day. At the moment I can only see glimpses but he is a goodun. Id be happy to carry him moreso than a Gram, Gilbert or similar.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Looks out of his depth size wise but seems to use it well. Ultimately he locked down King pretty well so a passable game.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He was very highly rated and heard good things before draft day. He was talked about like a top 10 pick so I think he may have slid down the order a bit or we got a steal.

kalsaint
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:Rabbit in the headlights??? Surely, you must be kidding. This kid will be a REALLY GOOD PLAYER for us.

Mayve so and one of the game commentators agreed with you but I also thought he was a Rbbit in the spot light early in the game. He also clearly admitted the pace was more than expected on the AFL site video.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
paul napper

Go to the tape

You will hear Tom Harley giving him wraps in the richmond game - he's a better judge than this forums Internet heroes

For those who did not see the gold coast or foots ray games - go to the tape. .

Plenty of upside

dragit
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Scotty sure knows more than Big Mart
pffft… now i have heard it all.

paddy
Club Player

I think he did well in the second half.

He certainly looked a little intimidated in the first quarter, but by the end, he actually had some juice left in his legs when other (older) players were pretty well spent.

I loved his centering kick in the last quarter, when he was running up the wing, under pressure, and he hit someone(cant remember) right on the chest...

that gave me hope, if he can be as composed and acurate as that moving forward, he will be a great fit! (he might need to be the good boot that accepts the handballs from wayward kicks such as jones, and gilbert)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Give it a rest moron... You don't like my opinions, ok... How about arguing the point, rather than coughing up crap

hungry for a premiership
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Give it a rest moron... You don't like my opinions, ok... How about arguing the point, rather than coughing up crap

ooooooohhhhhh!!!

I wouldn't take that if I were you magnifisaint!!!!

"Too big, too strong, too whatever."
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The boy can hit a target, very impressive

trojansaint
Club Player

3 Goal assists aint half bad