Who gets McQualter?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who gets McQualter?

bobmurray wrote:Mini wasn't good enough as a player at the Saints and that's what the thread implies....
Is that what it implies? :roll:

spert
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Mini wasn't good enough as a player at the Saints and that's what the thread implies....
He would have developed into a good player under any coach but Lyon IMHO

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

spert wrote:
He would have developed into a good player under any coach but Lyon IMHO
So he developed into 2/5s of nothingness under GT and it is GT's fault too?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

People should remember that Jimmy Gwilt looked like a donkey playing the Mc Qualter role. That forward pressure defender is a really hard role to play if you want to show your skills off. Standing between Roo and his defender, running along side the Heath Shaw, Harry O types to stop the release is not pretty but it is effective at slowing down the rebound.

Mini was unfortunately a bit slow, a bit short and not as skilled as 4 or 5 other mids so was used as a bits and pieces player under GT and Ross. When he got his chances in the midfield he was never disgraced just not outstanding. Hope he gets to show his skills at GC and prove a few wrong.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:People should remember that Jimmy Gwilt looked like a donkey playing the Mc Qualter role. That forward pressure defender is a really hard role to play if you want to show your skills off. Standing between Roo and his defender, running along side the Heath Shaw, Harry O types to stop the release is not pretty but it is effective at slowing down the rebound.

Mini was unfortunately a bit slow, a bit short and not as skilled as 4 or 5 other mids so was used as a bits and pieces player under GT and Ross. When he got his chances in the midfield he was never disgraced just not outstanding. Hope he gets to show his skills at GC and prove a few wrong.
Gwilt played the 3rd tall role. He was not in the side for defensive pressure at all...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
gringo wrote:People should remember that Jimmy Gwilt looked like a donkey playing the Mc Qualter role. That forward pressure defender is a really hard role to play if you want to show your skills off. Standing between Roo and his defender, running along side the Heath Shaw, Harry O types to stop the release is not pretty but it is effective at slowing down the rebound.

Gwilt played the 3rd tall role. He was not in the side for defensive pressure at all...
Disagree but he didn't play well there despite what his role was.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Starting a thread to belittle a player who tried hard for us but just wasn't up to it - then trying to justify it by claiming he "missed tackles" etc. is pretty poor. But it obviously gives you a boost.

Why don't you go back to pulling wings off flies and bullying small children.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Worse things in life than not being a great AFL footballer - and I'm tipping that 99.999% of ppl who subscribe on here have never had the talent to play ONE AFL game in their lives.
i don't disagree with your general sentiment, but f*** that's a stupid and useless thing to say.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
Moods wrote:Worse things in life than not being a great AFL footballer - and I'm tipping that 99.999% of ppl who subscribe on here have never had the talent to play ONE AFL game in their lives.
i don't disagree with your general sentiment, but f*** that's a stupid and useless thing to say.
I don't quite understand...ha

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

People take things so personally. He performed poorly in history changing moments for St Kilda FC. Who cares what sort of bloke he is? This is a football forum.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Little Dozer wrote:People take things so personally. He performed poorly in history changing moments for St Kilda FC. Who cares what sort of bloke he is? This is a football forum.
My point exactly. I wish I was paid fairly well to completely bugger up when I actually needed to perform for my employer.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:People take things so personally. He performed poorly in history changing moments for St Kilda FC. Who cares what sort of bloke he is? This is a football forum.
My point exactly. I wish I was paid fairly well to completely bugger up when I actually needed to perform for my employer.

Lets start a thread then on every player we play against every week who you dont rate. Whats the point?

gosaints
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
Him on the field is like playing with 17 anyway so we will enjoy the 1 man advantage.

I truly dislike mediocrity at the football club I support and he epitomised it.
How long have you supported us for champ??
There must be a long, long list of players you truly dislike because we have had plenty of them.

Mini wasn't a world beater but he was an integral part of our 2009 season and our forward pressure that changed the way the game is played started with him.
He missed some goals and some tackles that he should have made in all 3 GF's but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe in that department.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

gosaints wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
Him on the field is like playing with 17 anyway so we will enjoy the 1 man advantage.

I truly dislike mediocrity at the football club I support and he epitomised it.
How long have you supported us for champ??
There must be a long, long list of players you truly dislike because we have had plenty of them.

Mini wasn't a world beater but he was an integral part of our 2009 season and our forward pressure that changed the way the game is played started with him.
He missed some goals and some tackles that he should have made in all 3 GF's but he wasn't Robinson Crusoe in that department.
He was not a game changer as you are suggesting. He was part of an 18 man movement that pressed up against an opponent in their defensive 50 so no need to over-rate his meagre contribution.

The old 'how long have you supported us' line...followed by a bogan-condecending 'champ' remark. Cool.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Exactly.

Did what he was told.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:Exactly.

Did what he was told.
and still failed miserably.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Not only did Jimmy Gwilt fail in the McQualter position, Armo looked ordinary in it last season.

Hows Armo going now?

But hey Redeemer, you have the backing of the likes of Little Poser, and knobmurray so you are in exalted company.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:

Did what he was told.
Or the concept of playing someone as a defensive forward, who wasn't actually a forward, failed miserably.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:

Did what he was told.
Or the concept of playing someone as a defensive forward, who wasn't actually a forward, failed miserably.

Most clubs have them do they not? However other clubs actually have players that can do something with the ball or tackle.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

joffaboy wrote:Not only did Jimmy Gwilt fail in the McQualter position, Armo looked ordinary in it last season.

Hows Armo going now?

But hey Redeemer, you have the backing of the likes of Little Poser, and knobmurray so you are in exalted company.
Did Gwilt really play defensive forward? I always remembered him as playing 3rd tall in a vastly populated forward-line and subsequently starved of opportunities.

What a c**k-up getting Gwilt to play that position as he is not too quick and his tackling does not stand out either. That being said he has become a really good back for us.

Armitage looked average in an average side last year. The ball was coming out of our forward line too swiftly and hence our results in the first half of the season.

Do better with the insults sugarplumfairy

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's quite an original idea, but most clubs have 'forwards' playing this forwards role.

We have finally caught up.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:Armitage looked average in an average side last year. The ball was coming out of our forward line too swiftly and hence our results in the first half of the season.

Do better with the insults sugarplumfairy

Armo played the same role as McQualter last year.

As for insults, wasn't attacking you, just your associates :P

BTW are you going to project once again this weekend by calling Dools a re virgin?

Admit it junior, your next will be your first :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:It's quite an original idea, but most clubs have 'forwards' playing this forwards role.

Strange that you never seemed to worry previously. It seems RL could do no wrong until he left our club.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:It's quite an original idea, but most clubs have 'forwards' playing this forwards role.

Strange that you never seemed to worry previously. It seems RL could do no wrong until he left our club.
I've always defended Mini, and that (IMO) he should of been in the midfield....and the the role of forward with the emphasis of the 'defensive' work in front of it is enough to kill off anyones footy instinct.

Much rather play a kid there who is naturally dangerous, kick goals....and the tackle / pressure is an added bonus.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I've always defended Mini, and that (IMO) he should of been in the midfield....and the the role of forward with the emphasis of the 'defensive' work in front of it is enough to kill off anyones footy instinct.

Much rather play a kid there who is naturally dangerous, kick goals....and the tackle / pressure is an added bonus.

Firstly Mini wasnt good enough for the middle and found an important role up forward and secondly who was the player who should have played forward instead of mini considering the game plan RL had implimented.

I still cant recall you saying the forward set up was wrong.