Clarke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Clarke

gringo wrote:He's probably right besides Geary though on this one. Milne's handball was the heartbreaker for me, we were breaking away and players spreading and just a simple handball straight to the opposition. Still Milney probably has had as many handball stats as Kevin Bartlett did -he's paid to kick goals. He looks very ordinary anywhere outside the forward 50 .
Was definitely a howler… as was Armo's miss from 8 metres… Steven's from 30. Kosi, Gram, Roo… etc etc etc

Not many players walked off without an awful clanger, just what happens in high pressure matches…

While we are on a Clarke thread… his kick-in that missed a 20 Metre target is exactly why people lose their minds… it counters 10 good things he has done, and frankly isn't acceptable at AFL level, let alone a 10-year, top ten draft pick.

From the interview with Watters yesterday I got the feeling that he will get a few games as a lifeline, but most likely he won't be at the club next year.

He does some great things no doubt, my biggest gripe is that he doesn't keep his feet enough, he'll make a miraculous spoil but go to ground so we are outnumbered at the drop… kills us.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Most on here have no idea. Raph is one of the best readers of the game going around. Unfortunately the majority only see the odd mistake and ignore all the positives he adds to the team, like intercepting the ball and breaking the lines. Open your eyes and give credit where it's due. I bet you're all horrified when we kick backwards, or scream kick it when there's nobody to kick it to.
He doesn't have time on his side though Bernard.

He appears to know this....the coach even said he has a couple of weeks to play his best and will be assessed accordingly.

If anything, this probably led him to trying too hard on Friday night.

Not sure who he is in direct competition with for spots, perhaps Newnes who he appears to have pushed out?

I love the saints!
Club Player

Hurricane why don't you get out there and stand in front of Taylor Walker and co whilst taking contested marks instead of being a keyboard hero you numpty?

In STKFC we trust.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Love Raphs overhead work and looks a lot more fluent with new game plan. Will wear the odd mistake due to his total fearlessness overhead.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

I love the saints! wrote:Hurricane why don't you get out there and stand in front of Taylor Walker and co whilst taking contested marks instead of being a keyboard hero you numpty?

Hurricane is not paid 200k to do so.

If I am paid that amount I would happily do it too.

Clarke chooses to play football. It is part of the game to stand infront of packs. Nobody is forcing him to play.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
gringo wrote:He's probably right besides Geary though on this one. Milne's handball was the heartbreaker for me, we were breaking away and players spreading and just a simple handball straight to the opposition. Still Milney probably has had as many handball stats as Kevin Bartlett did -he's paid to kick goals. He looks very ordinary anywhere outside the forward 50 .
Was definitely a howler… as was Armo's miss from 8 metres… Steven's from 30. Kosi, Gram, Roo… etc etc etc

Not many players walked off without an awful clanger, just what happens in high pressure matches…

While we are on a Clarke thread… his kick-in that missed a 20 Metre target is exactly why people lose their minds… it counters 10 good things he has done, and frankly isn't acceptable at AFL level, let alone a 10-year, top ten draft pick.

From the interview with Watters yesterday I got the feeling that he will get a few games as a lifeline, but most likely he won't be at the club next year.

He does some great things no doubt, my biggest gripe is that he doesn't keep his feet enough, he'll make a miraculous spoil but go to ground so we are outnumbered at the drop… kills us.
That was my point. His mistakes are so bloody child-like one has to wonder what is actually inside his head. Or the process of connecting the brain to the leg to kick the ball and not grubber it out.

To the top
SS Life Member

Actually, The Reedemer, his disposal by hand and foot was very good.

As for comments such as "his mistakes are so bloody child like one has to wonder what is actually inside his head", well, he is heading toward 100 AFL games, is 2 games into a comeback from injury which saw him miss the first 10 AFL games of the season and is in pretty solid form, including taking some strong contested overhead marks and showing typical courage.

What is your CV?

That you forget to change hands at 99?

Faunicated moron.

I actually did something I had not done since the late 1970's on Friday night in that I left the Member's and wandered down to the Grange Golf Club end behind the goals to get a handle on exactly why we were being killed on the spread as we were.

It was definately not Clarke who was among those causing us the problems.

He was one of those who were manful in trying to combat what he was confronted with.

I was actually privy to a tape of a game on Saturday, noting that the opposition side went man on man and negating attempts to spread and get a player free, running into space and creating opportunity.

Looking for the fancy, lace out football.

Every attempt ran into an opposition player, creating an in close contest and resulting in a loss despite monstering the clearances, the disposals, the time in our half, the inside 50's and scoring shots - and being monstored in free kicks due to frustration at continually hitting bodies.

The answer was not to get too fancy and just hit the contest on the next line, putting the contest closer to your goal and meaning any opportunity resulted in a score.

The result - a near 100 point win.

With Adelaide's devastating spread, we had some weak links who gave up space to the opposition because they did not mark their opposition, preferring to zone instead - or worse, hanging back looking for the rebound.

We have a few who are not up to AFL standard (which is actually not what it is assumed to be) and it is those players we need to continually turn to do justice to the 17 or 18 who are at AFL standard - and that 17 or 18 definately includes Clarke.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Seriously how did they charge him with misconduct to the head. It's a strike or not a strike, I wonder why saints fans get paranoid when we get new charges made up to inflict only on our players. I haven't seen the incident but surely this isn't even in the rule book. At least when they charge another high profile player with it the media will jump on it and change the non existant rule and Anderson will pat his own back for the great intuitive rule changes on the hop.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I thought Raph used his head to push the Adelaide player away, more than head butt him. It would have been the softest head buitt ever.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Seriously how did they charge him with misconduct to the head. It's a strike or not a strike, I wonder why saints fans get paranoid when we get new charges made up to inflict only on our players. I haven't seen the incident but surely this isn't even in the rule book. At least when they charge another high profile player with it the media will jump on it and change the non existant rule and Anderson will pat his own back for the great intuitive rule changes on the hop.

Havent seen the incident but complaining why us. Amazing.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:Seriously how did they charge him with misconduct to the head. It's a strike or not a strike, I wonder why saints fans get paranoid when we get new charges made up to inflict only on our players. I haven't seen the incident but surely this isn't even in the rule book. At least when they charge another high profile player with it the media will jump on it and change the non existant rule and Anderson will pat his own back for the great intuitive rule changes on the hop.

I'm saying it because surely it's a charge of head butting or insufficient force like every other head butt charge ever dropped or actioned by the MRP before. It isn't an uncommon occurrence it's a unique charge -if it is insufficient to cause any kind of injury it doesn't sustain a charge. Do you know of any one else charged for pushing with their head?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I'm saying it because surely it's a charge of head butting or insufficient force like every other head butt charge ever dropped or actioned by the MRP before. It isn't an uncommon occurrence it's a unique charge -if it is insufficient to cause any kind of injury it doesn't sustain a charge. Do you know of any one else charged for pushing with their head?
The was so much intention in Raph's actions regardless of the result to the opposition player. Stupid act from a stupid player.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Havent seen the incident but complaining why us. Amazing.[/quote]

I'm saying it because surely it's a charge of head butting or insufficient force like every other head butt charge ever dropped or actioned by the MRP before. It isn't an uncommon occurrence it's a unique charge -if it is insufficient to cause any kind of injury it doesn't sustain a charge. Do you know of any one else charged for pushing with their head?[/quote]

The was so much intention in Raph's actions regardless of the result to the opposition player. Stupid act from a stupid player.[/quote]

Just like C. Judd who was so stupid he won a Brownlow the year he did it.

dalboy
Club Player

Opinion sure is divided on Raph. I saw some ok things from him on Friday night and also some howlers. He just doesn't seem to have the urgency required. I dont think he is in out best 22. I heard SW on SEN and got the feeling he wanted to see a full game and give the guy and chance and will now send him back to Sandy to play out the year.

Happiness is a warm pie!
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Raph certainly did play a shocker but so did many of his mates!

There are a lot of simpletons posting in this thread though!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dalboy wrote:Opinion sure is divided on Raph. I saw some ok things from him on Friday night and also some howlers. He just doesn't seem to have the urgency required. I dont think he is in out best 22. I heard SW on SEN and got the feeling he wanted to see a full game and give the guy and chance and will now send him back to Sandy to play out the year.

at this point in time i would rather get more games in simpkin than more games into raph.
at 26 - raph has no major upside. he is not going to improve despite the majority of peoples best wishes and longing.
so assuming they are fighting for one spot (probably a reasonable assumption) i see more upside with simpkin from hereon.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dalboy wrote:Opinion sure is divided on Raph. I saw some ok things from him on Friday night and also some howlers. He just doesn't seem to have the urgency required. I dont think he is in out best 22. I heard SW on SEN and got the feeling he wanted to see a full game and give the guy and chance and will now send him back to Sandy to play out the year.

at this point in time i would rather get more games in simpkin than more games into raph.
at 26 - raph has no major upside. he is not going to improve despite the majority of peoples best wishes and longing.
so assuming they are fighting for one spot (probably a reasonable assumption) i see more upside with simpkin from hereon.

I must say i doubt they are fighting for the same spot at all. One is a running HBF and the other is a KPP ot at worst a stopping backman.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

How he's been on the list this long is staggering.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Gwilt has played worse in the two games that Raph has played, but I cant see any of the hate for him. Gwilt was brought back too early, and could probably benefit from more games at Sandy.
Now what have you Raph haters got to say about that?

Beekay
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote: Now what have you Raph haters got to say about that?
something along the lines of Gwilt just coming off a knee reco ?

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I'm more interested to know why some posters know more than our last three coaches?

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I must say i doubt they are fighting for the same spot at all. One is a running HBF and the other is a KPP ot at worst a stopping backman.
well i dunno about that. they are both defenders and both around the 22nd blokes picked. gilbo and fisher get picked straight up as running hbfs. so simpkin and raph must be considered around the same time at the old selection table. and what is gwilt? hes another running hb type. so hard to see how raph gets a game if he is purely a running hb. i think raph gets a game more for his spoils than his offence.
anyhoo. hard to see both of them in our best 22. and im just saying id sather see simpko in the backline tan raph. not by much. just marginal.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I would drop Kosi, Milne, Montagna and Milera rather than Clarke, as they are not doing enough consistantly to contribute to a win

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:I would drop Kosi, Milne, Montagna and Milera rather than Clarke, as they are not doing enough consistantly to contribute to a win
especially that pesky montagna. getting coaches votes and way too many tackles! how dare you!

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

spert wrote:I would drop Kosi, Milne, Montagna and Milera rather than Clarke, as they are not doing enough consistantly to contribute to a win
Kosi certainly, he's finished. Milne possibly if interstate. Montagna? Ridiculous call. Maybe Milera if he's sore or carrying a niggle.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!