Oh dear - Saints in another Public Relations mess

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Re: Oh dear - Saints in another Public Relations mess

Beekay wrote:Tweet from Jack Steven:

Second time in two weeks a pig has held up a Saint.

can you explain whats that supposed to mean?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:

Don't get your knickers in a knot, it's not actually a real quote from a player, it's a joke made by Beekay. The essence of the joke is that last week a "pig" (policeman) was seen to have "held up" (or detained) a "Saint" (Jack Steven, driving while drunk), while this week a "pig" (girl considered overweight by footballer standards) is seen to have "held up" (or got in the way of) a different "Saint" (identity unknown, at an airport). The "humour" comes from the dual meanings of the words "pig" and "held up".

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

gold beekay gold

(ignore the posters who didnt get your humour and took this seriously. i loved it)
+ 1
Surely we can still have a bit of fun on here… that's not always to everyone's taste?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Saints need to balance this out..... wheel in 10 skinny chicks to raz on...

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
saintly wrote:

Don't get your knickers in a knot, it's not actually a real quote from a player, it's a joke made by Beekay. The essence of the joke is that last week a "pig" (policeman) was seen to have "held up" (or detained) a "Saint" (Jack Steven, driving while drunk), while this week a "pig" (girl considered overweight by footballer standards) is seen to have "held up" (or got in the way of) a different "Saint" (identity unknown, at an airport). The "humour" comes from the dual meanings of the words "pig" and "held up".
There is of course a precedence for all this :P

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Fat chicks and chicken wings....maybe the 2 got together.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:...I am not sure why people feel the need to ring 3AW though.
How else can they fill up three and a half hours of self righteous, hypocritical indignation each morning?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
BigMart wrote:I reckon BC has something to do with it..... Or Lenny is not 'mentoring' the boys well enough....

All of Cousins chicks were skinny because. like him they had been on the gear for years.

Loving a junkie is putting you in a very poor light BM

Laughing at that Tweet. Its obviously a joke.

And laughing more at BM's reply to this post listing all of Ben Cousins abilities. Attempting to turn this into another BC thread....Because he only wants him for his 'football'.

....Oh but what about the three amigos X Clarke, Maguire and Ball where the fabric of the club was ripped out after getting rid of three excellent human beings regardless of the abilities.

Very confusing to be outside BM's head. Imagining what its like inside it.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm obviously a chick, so I'll try and wind back the clock a couple of years and think about how I'd feel put in a situation like that (though I'm not sure if the reporting of young girl is accurate here, at 21 I'd go with young woman)

If I was to be completely honest, and at the risk of being called over sensitive, if I was 21 and struggling with my weight and body image then I'm pretty confident I'd shed a tear if I heard that. These are athletic good looking young men, if anyone could make you feel pretty crap about yourself with one cheap shot, they have the power. Flip side, a smile and some friendliness would leave an enormous impression.

Body image is such a sore point in society, obesity, eating disorders.

I'd be disappointed if a player did say something like that, and if it's proven, I'll probably form an opinion somewhat about their maturity and they'd drop a few levels on my 'nice meter'

Please be clear though, if I was to say something, I'd be very clear on how things stood and I'd understand the need to be accurate and identify an individual rather than taint the entire football club with vague comments.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
BigMart wrote:I reckon BC has something to do with it..... Or Lenny is not 'mentoring' the boys well enough....

All of Cousins chicks were skinny because. like him they had been on the gear for years.

Loving a junkie is putting you in a very poor light BM

Laughing at that Tweet. Its obviously a joke.

And laughing more at BM's reply to this post listing all of Ben Cousins abilities. Attempting to turn this into another BC thread....Because he only wants him for his 'football'.

....Oh but what about the three amigos X Clarke, Maguire and Ball where the fabric of the club was ripped out after getting rid of three excellent human beings regardless of the abilities.

Very confusing to be outside BM's head. Imagining what its like inside it.
You guys are toying with someone with OCD... it's a bit like pointing out to a compulsive hand-washer that they missed some germs.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

No one should suffer the wrath of dropping down a peg on your " nice meter" K.....

“Yeah….nah””
markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I'm obviously a chick, so I'll try and wind back the clock a couple of years and think about how I'd feel put in a situation like that (though I'm not sure if the reporting of young girl is accurate here, at 21 I'd go with young woman)

If I was to be completely honest, and at the risk of being called over sensitive, if I was 21 and struggling with my weight and body image then I'm pretty confident I'd shed a tear if I heard that. These are athletic good looking young men, if anyone could make you feel pretty crap about yourself with one cheap shot, they have the power. Flip side, a smile and some friendliness would leave an enormous impression.

I'd be disappointed if a player did say something like that, and if it's proven, I'll probably form an opinion somewhat about their maturity and they'd drop a few levels on my 'nice meter'

Please be clear though, if I was to say something, I'd be very clear on how things stood and I'd understand the need to be accurate and identify an individual rather than taint the entire football club with vague comments.
As with Duthie, it's not the chick's fault. Blame the media.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:No one should suffer the wrath of dropping down a peg on your " nice meter" K.....
You'd be surprised

:P

markp
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Teflon wrote:No one should suffer the wrath of dropping down a peg on your " nice meter" K.....
You'd be surprised

I'm tipping crossing someone off your xmas card list is about as brutal as it gets! :wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:
You'd be surprised

I'm tipping crossing someone off your xmas card list is about as brutal as it gets! :wink:
Foe list?

:wink:

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I'm obviously a chick, so I'll try and wind back the clock a couple of years and think about how I'd feel put in a situation like that (though I'm not sure if the reporting of young girl is accurate here, at 21 I'd go with young woman)

Agree with this.

Would like to add that it would hurt even tough guys. Why? Because by going up to players you are already showing an interest, they have the upper hand, you're showing that they are wanted.... A comment like that about anything would knock me down and a lot of others down.

Lets hope its not true.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

That's a thoughtful response. One of my favourite films is "Liar, Liar". There are some scenes in it that are excruciatingly funny, even on seeing them multiple times. There was another good movie on a similar theme with Ricky Gervais, "The Invention of Lying" although it wasn't as good.

Of course, we all make critical comments about people, mostly behind their backs. So, why don't we do it to their faces? Children go through a number of stages on personal interaction. First, all other children are just other children, regardless of physical or any other characteristic. It's what is so appealing about dogs, they never grow out of that stage. But with children, they are soon taught by other people (parents or older children), that getting what you want can sometimes be achieved at the expense of someone else - especially their feelings.

There is no doubt that some people are fat, or skinny or have big noses or are handsome or beautiful or not. Generally, we reserve personal comments about others, that we make to their faces, to those that who we actaully know - the cause of 99% of family rows. But I have met some people who lack any sort of social understanding and will just blurt things out regardless. It would be interesting to speculate what the world would be like if everyone did this (as touched on the two films).

We should not underestimate the affect of words on people - they start wars. But, the occasional indiscretion can happen. I can remember some years ago, noticing the finger nails of a friend who was with his wife. For some inexplicable reason, I asked him, "Do you bite your nails, Peter?" To which his wife said, "Does he ever." I dropped the subject. Hopefully, the same will happen to this "Saints event" sooner rather than later.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Agree with this.

Would like to add that it would hurt even tough guys. Why? Because by going up to players you are already showing an interest, they have the upper hand, you're showing that they are wanted.... A comment like that about anything would knock me down and a lot of others down.

Lets hope its not true.
Good point Spinner.

They do have the upper hand, which would make it so dissappointing if true.

I just find it so hard to believe.

I was able to make it to an open training this year, the players were so accomodating, they all signed my sons jumper...many of them had a chat, Nicky Dal posed for a photo with him and was so friendly. Ben, Farren, Lenny, Kosi, Siposs....I could name just about all of them.

I just didn't get a 'I'm to cool for school' vibe from any of them.

Some were shy, but not rude.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Terrific post. As the father of a teenage girl with continuing behaviour and eating problems, I would be appalled if she were subject to what has been reported. It doesn't take much for those who have the 'power' to smile and put up with a little attention.

My daughter was one of those teenagers who following Justin Bieber around on Monday. At his hotel, he came out and was extremely nice and accommodating to the screaming teenage girls. A ten second encounter has made my daughter's year. Imagine how crushed she'd have been if he'd said "no fat chicks".

They are footballers though. Not rocket surgeons.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:My daughter was one of those teenagers who following Justin Bieber around on Monday. At his hotel, he came out and was extremely nice and accommodating to the screaming teenage girls. A ten second encounter has made my daughter's year. Imagine how crushed she'd have been if he'd said "no fat chicks".
Not really a fair comparison...These screaming teenage girls make up the vast majority of Bieber's fans. They're the ones who buy his music (term used loosely) and merchandise. Without these fans, he is nothing.
Footballers on the other hand get most of their revenue from adult memberships, corporate sponsors and endorsements.

I am not condoning what was allegedly said but it was at an airport and not an official club function.
Oh, and the "victim" in question is not a teenage girl, she is a 21yo woman. If she was so aggrieved then she should have spoken up there and then and dealt with the issue instead of getting her mum to call 3AW. Even if she was scared of the confrontation then a call to the club would have been the mature approach.

The thing with these sort of issues is that you have one immature act compounded by another.

These issues are not newsworthy in the least. But we are thankful for the "Juddment Day" coverage that has buried this wannabe scandal.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:My daughter was one of those teenagers who following Justin Bieber around on Monday. At his hotel, he came out and was extremely nice and accommodating to the screaming teenage girls. A ten second encounter has made my daughter's year. Imagine how crushed she'd have been if he'd said "no fat chicks".
Not really a fair comparison...These screaming teenage girls make up the vast majority of Bieber's fans. They're the ones who buy his music (term used loosely) and merchandise. Without these fans, he is nothing.
Footballers on the other hand get most of their revenue from adult memberships, corporate sponsors and endorsements.
I accept that comment regarding the comparison. However, even at the airport in official club gear, those players are representing the club. So poor comments (if they were in fact made) reflect poorly on the club. They are in a public profession so much the same as Twitter, they need to be conscious of what they say publically.

However, I accept that nothing has been proven and these are just unsubstantiated allegations.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:

I am not condoning what was allegedly said but it was at an airport and not an official club function.
Oh, and the "victim" in question is not a teenage girl, she is a 21yo woman. If she was so aggrieved then she should have spoken up there and then and dealt with the issue instead of getting her mum to call 3AW. Even if she was scared of the confrontation then a call to the club would have been the mature approach.

The thing with these sort of issues is that you have one immature act compounded by another.

These issues are not newsworthy in the least. But we are thankful for the "Juddment Day" coverage that has buried this wannabe scandal.
I hear what you're saying but this post leaves me cold.

Have we really got to the stage where basic respect and civility for an individual seeking an autograph sees the response driven by their demographic fit and impact on our revenue streams?

The cynic in me say "of course we have" the human says, if true, what a frigged up material little planet of wannabes we've become.

“Yeah….nah””
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Have we any proof that this was actually uttered by a Saints player or was even said by ANYONE at all? Video perhaps? Heck, even a photo of a player in her vicinity? Complete non issue and players have denied that it was any of them. On a side note, I wonder what I can get if I ring up a radio station and tell them I was called a bad name? My son needs a new guernsey and this seems the cheapest and easiest method of getting one......

Fortius Quo Fidelius
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Not condoning this behaviour at all, and I would like to hope this was not said by any of the players......

BUT, seriously, society needs to take a cup of concrete..... If being called a 'fat chick' is the worst thing that is ever said to you, count yourself lucky. Yes, it may be a dent to your ego, but FFS, are we all getting that precious and sensitive? Soon we won't be able to leave our houses as our fragile egos may not be able to cope if someone should happen to say something nasty to us!!! People are not nice at times, end of story. People in general need to develop a thicker skin.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I could definitely lose a few pounds. But then I probably wouldn't interrupt someone's day to get my photo taken with them. That, to me, part from being a very odd practice, seems an extremely rude thing to do. That is if a fire looks like a fire it more than likely is a fire so I probably wouldn't go sticking my hand in it.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'