20 Years Ago today .... anyone? anyone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintkellerm
Club Player

Re: 20 Years Ago today .... anyone? anyone?

Touché :) :D

Waltzing St Kilda
SS Hall of Fame

I remember Alistair Lynch out-muscling Plugger to take a mark. There was an eerie hush around the ground. No one could believe it.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I was there. The highlight of the day for me was sitting at a table with Lionel Rose.

minneapolis
Club Player

I was there too. I took along a friends' kid and tried to make him understand the significance of the day. Not sure if I succeeded. But he still barracks for The Saints though. Pinched a bit of turf and planted it in the front lawn.
Am a long way from there now, physically not spiritually.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
Tornateo
Club Player

mcadam05 wrote:One of my first post's on youtube

part 1 -
part 2 -
part 3 -
part 4 -

I just watched all four videos. Tugged at my heart strings. As an American fan, I could relate to this as well. My NFL team, the Philadelphia Eagles. Left their home ground in 2002, and moved to a large, cookie cutter stadium. As an Eagles fan, it really made me sad. We lost a lot of history, culture and a huge home field advantage. Opposing teams hated coming to Veterans Stadium because of how loud it was, and to be honest, the playing surface was horrible, but damn the Eagles thrived there. Anyway, as a new fan in American I always enjoy finding things about the team that make it seem...closer to home for me.

Superboot
SS Life Member

I was there.

Very sad day but there was a feeling that we had a big future. Funny how you tell yourself that change is going to be for the better; a bit like when you get a new coach.

I'm guessing that way back in 1965 no-one realised how important Moorabbin would become.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What I loved about Moorabbin.

Bumping into class mates as I was a local in the area.

Getting mates in for free because my Granpa knew a turnstile attendant!

Basically, the whole vibe of the joint.

Kicking a footy post match and seeing a mate getting KO'd!

That's the fabric that we will never see again sadly, except in the VFL.

I just hope we get a VFL Saints team back at Moorabbin. Must say I felt sad a few years back
Going to training at Moorabbin sitting in the old grandstand that is now
Knocked down with my kids knowing theyll never experience what I did. The stands were like the Moorabbin
Wing times a thousand. You knew everyone.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The days at Moorabbin in the 70s, 80s & 90s were sensational; team success aside.

But the modern game is also brilliant and I for one really enjoy going to Etihad & the MCG.

I feel really blessed that I was born at a time that has allowed me to experience both. :)

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:The days at Moorabbin in the 70s, 80s & 90s were sensational; team success aside.

But the modern game is also brilliant and I for one really enjoy going to Etihad & the MCG.

I feel really blessed that I was born at a time that has allowed me to experience both. :)
Totally agree Spacey... I've still got a souvenir t-shirt from the last game at Moorabbin (tinted yellow with the passing of time).

Those of us that can remember most of the old suburban grounds are very fortunate. Some of my favorite memories of going to the footy with dad (who we lost when I was 21) include;

Arden St- the day when Jacko made his debut & got David Dench reported (Plugger played his first game in the 2's that day), Waverley- my first ever game v the Tigers in 1980 when we drew with the eventual Premiers
Western Oval- Spud's last game when Spider & Buckets tore the dogs apart
Filth Park- Nicky's day when we beat the filth for the first time in 500 years
Windy Hill- never experienced a win there but remember the day we should have when Damian Kitchke walzed into an open goal & got tackle.
Princes Park- Smashing the cheats there in 03 (10 goals in front at qtr time) G-train named the Carpet Snake that day!
Lake Oval- can only remember going there once for a senior game but clearly remember watching the Army Reserve Cup on telly there every Sunday.
Junction- Bernie Quinlan kicking massive torps out onto Fitzroy St & getting poleaxed by the Lions.

It is a pity that our kids grow up without these experiences but on the flip side they don't have to deal with how feral suburban grounds could be (I got a cigarette extinguished on my arm at the Western Oval when I was about 7 after the Saints kicked a goal!).

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Those of us that can remember most of the old suburban grounds are very fortunate. Some of my favorite memories of going to the footy with dad (who we lost when I was 21) include;

Arden St- the day when Jacko made his debut & got David Dench reported (Plugger played his first game in the 2's that day), Waverley- my first ever game v the Tigers in 1980 when we drew with the eventual Premiers
Windy Hill- never experienced a win there but remember the day we should have when Damian Kitchke walzed into an open goal & got tackle.
Princes Park- Smashing the cheats there in 03 (10 goals in front at qtr time) G-train named the Carpet Snake that day!
Lake Oval- can only remember going there once for a senior game but clearly remember watching the Army Reserve Cup on telly there every Sunday.
Junction- Bernie Quinlan kicking massive torps out onto Fitzroy St & getting poleaxed by the Lions.

It is a pity that our kids grow up without these experiences but on the flip side they don't have to deal with how feral suburban grounds could be (I got a cigarette extinguished on my arm at the Western Oval when I was about 7 after the Saints kicked a goal!).
Great stuff AE.

Other great memories:

Western Oval (1975) George Young kicking 9 goals in the first of his illustrious, and exciting, games as a Full Forward.

Lake Oval (1977) Trevor Barker’s classic mark over Ricky Quade

Arden St (1978) Robbie Elliott kicking a point after the siren when a goal would have won us the game. And then looking up from collecting my belongings to find the goal ump had signalled a major :D

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

1977 barks mark , that was the first time i went to the lakeside side oval , as a kid i was excited .
unfortunately his mark was the only highlight , didn't we get killed that day ?

In red white and black from 73
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:1977 barks mark , that was the first time i went to the lakeside side oval , as a kid i was excited .
unfortunately his mark was the only highlight , didn't we get killed that day ?
Unfortunately yes :(

South Melbourne 21.12.138
St Kilda 12.11.83

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:

Great stuff AE.

Other great memories:

Western Oval (1975) George Young kicking 9 goals in the first of his illustrious, and exciting, games as a Full Forward.

Arden St (1978) Robbie Elliott kicking a point after the siren when a goal would have won us the game. And then looking up from collecting my belongings to find the goal ump had signalled a major :D
I remember that game at Arden St. Dr.. He was on the boundary line and against the wind. No-one ( Including an intoxicated Tony 74- ah the good old days of VB cans! ) thought he had a chance

paulski
Club Player

I was there too. A 17 year old at the time, some of my favourite memories are from that ground. The thing I miss most is the atmosphere, it was awesome. Remember ripping up some turf after the game and planting in mum and dads back lawn - I even fenced it with some icypole sticks!

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Does anyone remember how when the Sainters ran out at Moorabbin and did their couple of laps Glen Elliott would run the opposite way on his own!! Talk about all being for the team!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:

Great stuff AE.

Other great memories:

I remember that game at Arden St. Dr.. He was on the boundary line and against the wind. No-one ( Including an intoxicated Tony 74- ah the good old days of VB cans! ) thought he had a chance
I had a seat on the outer wing and my vision was directly behind Elliott as he kicked. Clearly went between the goal post and point post to the right. Once the score went up I left the ground and laughed all the way back to the car.

Here's a link :D

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 96,4396533

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I was there that day too and still have the certificate on the wall.

The saints disco was also a "highlight" of the ground.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Were you there Dr. when the Saints came out of the race well before time ( reserves were still playing ) and then ran straight out of the ground and to the little playground outside and did their warm-up there. Talk about innovative ( and stupid - playground grass area was tiny! )

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: The saints disco was also a "highlight" of the ground.
Pity Disco Stu missed it by a few years :P

stevie
Saintsational Legend

A great regret of my life is I never saw the Saints play at Moorabbin.

When we came down to Melbourne a couple of times a year, from Kyabram, we would always go to a game at the G or Scum Park
I left home in 1981 to live up here and so never go to go to Moorabbin

Met a guy in. Cairns years ago, who went to the last game. He said he souveneired a sod of turf with Pluggers knee print in it!

I also got on the piss with Tony Modra once, in Cairns, the year before he took the AFL by storm. But
that's another story

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:A great regret of my life is I never saw the Saints play at Moorabbin.

When we came down to Melbourne a couple of times a year, from Kyabram, we would always go to a game at the G or Scum Park
I left home in 1981 to live up here and so never go to go to Moorabbin

Met a guy in. Cairns years ago, who went to the last game. He said he souveneired a sod of turf with Pluggers knee print in it!

I also got on the piss with Tony Modra once, in Cairns, the year before he took the AFL by storm. But
that's another story
The biggest disappointment of my life just happened. Or biggest shock.

And that is that you, stevie, just posted in this thread and made no reference to Sgt. Pepper's :shock: :( :wink: :P

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Lol, I thought about it Doc, trust me!

I didn't want to tarnish the memories of this famous ground by throwing in cheap puns... :lol: :roll: 8-)

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

My memory of our last game was that it was actually really close and we nearly lost. I have this memory of Stewie Loewe kicking a torp at the South Road end late in the game to put us in front of the Royboys. It may have even been a torp on the run by Stewie. Can anyone else remeber that torp.

I wondered what everyone was going to do with the grass that they dug up! It was an interesting night at the disco that night with everyone holding their plastic bags of dirt.

actually, nah that was pretty normal :lol:

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

tony74 wrote:Were you there Dr. when the Saints came out of the race well before time ( reserves were still playing ) and then ran straight out of the ground and to the little playground outside and did their warm-up there. Talk about innovative ( and stupid - playground grass area was tiny! )
That playground has been updated more than what remains of the Moorabbin Oval.

But that's Kingston Council for you.