Who are the next line of champions?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Munga
Saintsational Legend

Who are the next line of champions?

Riewoldt, Dal Santo, Goddard, Lenny, Fisher. The are out and out champions, but they won't be around forever.
So who are our young potential future champions to take over and fill their shoes?
Steven, Geary, Simpkin, Saad, Siposs, Stanley, Newnes, Cripps, Dunell, Ledger?????
Some of those guys are showing good signs, how many can make it to the top?

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who are the next line of champions?

None of those you mention IMO will be in the same league as our established stars.

We need to build on a more even spread of very good players rather than a star 8 c

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Steven and Stanley show the most promise.

Saad however shows every sign of being quite a good FP.. Given his lack of game experience, he should get better yet.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

dunny will

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Armitage, McEvoy, Stanley and Ross are the 3 who I think can become genuine A graders. Seen a bit of Ross and he just has something about him.

But I feel that the players who will lead us to our next flag tilt aren't yet on the list as you need legitimate superstars, not just A-graders. 09/10 we had 3 (Roo, Lenny, BJ) plus a host of A-graders.

I think some of the youth we currently have can become outstanding players, but we really need to bottom out to get some of the cream of the crop. Particularly a gun forward.

battye
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:None of those you mention IMO will be in the same league as our established stars.

We need to build on a more even spread of very good players rather than a star 8 c
Yeah I agree. They are good players, but no potential superstars of the game coming through. And sadly we probably won't see any more at St Kilda until we get some high draft picks. There's no future Brownlow medallist rising through the ranks, lets put it that way.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

We don't have any. Goddard is our youngest elite (or even potentially elite) player. We could give it one more crack next year if the next crop step up and become solid AFL players but I can't see us being any more than a middle-range team in 4-5 years time unless we unearth some serious guns in the next couple of years.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Our young blokes arent stars, they wont be. Future is grim, draft hard.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Stanley at only 21 could be anything if he can get his body right.

A big void between 21 - 28 for stars though, maybe it will hasten a fall and re-build from a couple of high picks when our stars retire?

I should add too, that I think Montagna deserves to be mentioned in the champs category, was super again tonight, goes very much under the radar, particularly for our own fans.

saintkev
Club Player

Don't forget Polo....got a game tonight ahead of Newnes, Cripps, Ledger and Siposs. He must be better value?????

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:

Steven, Geary, Simpkin, Saad, Siposs, Stanley, Newnes, Cripps, Dunell, Ledger?????
Steven. Has stepped up ina major way this year. Was good tonight.
Stanley. If he can stop getting soft tissues injuries has shown this year that he could be very good.

Simpkin. Not sure how good he will be yet...but is looking as a minimum to be more than handy third tall back. Maybe better than that for one of so few games he is very cool.

Geary. Does so many things right, great workrate, very hard at it, good spoler and is fearless....but is not a good user of the ball by hand or foot out of the backline when under the pump. Had some costly turnovers tonight.

Milera: Hopefully with another pre-season will gain better durabilty. He showed this year that he has the talent. Just needs a bigger tank and a bit more muscle.

Saad. with so few games has settled in very well asa P and is aregular goal kicker. Sould get better with experience. ie last week should have handballed twice to create two easy goal.

Siposs. If he can get more into each game he could be very good. Jury still out n whether he will be average ora lot better. Does have that stamp of class though.

Newnes. Looked polished. Let see how he goes after one more pre-season.

Cripps. Has the raw talent...but needs to doa lot more yet.

Dunell. Early days but there is a lot to like. Is 22, but has only had one pre-season..and Watters has remarked that he needs another one so that he can play out full games at the highest level. that plus afew extra kilols should see him playing a lot of football next year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....