Is the AFL corrupt?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is the AFL corrupt?

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:
bergholt wrote:
R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:After last nights loss I was absolutely furious and lucky I didn't go the game (I normally go to every match) or I would have been punching on with someone!
I have though since realised today that in my eyes now the AFL is just simply corrupt. What other reason is there for Collingwood to receive 8 free kicks
to none in the last quarter? The AFL simply needs Collingwood to be top 4 and then it brings in alot more money.
I think I have lost complete faith in the whole thing today, it is just a joke! Am I wrong here?
yup, you're wrong. don't mistake incompetence for conspiracy or you'll go mad living in this world.

Haha Ok I won't Thanks!
WOW you're easily convinced! Of course they are corrupt - most people don't know this but Collingwood AND the AFL have alliances with North Korea. See the link now??? WAKE UP PEOPLE.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The AFL isn't corrupt

It's very clear that the motives aren't driven equality, fairness, good of the game etc

It's all about profit... Collingwood gets favoured because they draw big... You know it and I know it, every knows it.

Corrupt implies that this is a secret

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I suspect the corruption is more likely a result of match fixing by umpires outside of the AFL and the fact that they pay very little attention to watching the umpires and almost denying any chance of it makes the organisation complicit.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I suspect the corruption is more likely a result of match fixing by umpires outside of the AFL and the fact that they pay very little attention to watching the umpires and almost denying any chance of it makes the organisation complicit.

What a crock of s***. Dont you think they review decisions?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

i just did a check
Stkilda ranked 7th frees for
collingwood ranked 17th
http://www.pro-stats.com.au/psw/web/tea ... ts=TT&sr=7

Seeya
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:i just did a check
collingwood ranked 17th
Your point in the context of Sat's game?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:I suspect the corruption is more likely a result of match fixing by umpires outside of the AFL and the fact that they pay very little attention to watching the umpires and almost denying any chance of it makes the organisation complicit.

They review it then pat them all on the back and say well done boys keep it up. They are so scared of upsetting the umpires they won't comment on anything or even suggest there might be a problem. they are very good at avoiding the elephant in the room while the rest of the people are doing their best to tell them about it. Players are watched to see who might be betting but the people who have the greatest opportunity to manipulate outcomes, and at the moment look like there is a real possibility of, are left to self regulate.They could at least make some noise about it and look on top of it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
collingwood ranked 17th

I think his point maybe that if they were corrupt about the pies why does it seem it is only against us. Lets face it when we get a good go with the umps we still find a few frees that are incorrect and some wont even acknowledge we got a good deal and we get a bad deal as it seemed we did Saturday night the AFL is corrupt. Maybe they umpired poorly last week and maybe they umpire poorly when we get a good go.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Was the umpire corrupt when we got a free against Geelong in the 1st Semi of the 2010 Finanls series that cost them a goal and won us the game?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

They review it then pat them all on the back and say well done boys keep it up. They are so scared of upsetting the umpires they won't comment on anything or even suggest there might be a problem. they are very good at avoiding the elephant in the room while the rest of the people are doing their best to tell them about it. Players are watched to see who might be betting but the people who have the greatest opportunity to manipulate outcomes, and at the moment look like there is a real possibility of, are left to self regulate.They could at least make some noise about it and look on top of it.

You want a serious conversation and then come up with that crap. You wouldnt have a clue how they review decisions and as if they scared of upsetting the umpires. Players are watched on betting and so are umpires so what is your point.

They would want to win a lot of money because if they umpired poorly enough to change a result of game they would be dropped and miss out on match payments. By the way you do know the AFL have access to betting sheets. Actually I dont you know that if you really think a revue is a pat on the back.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Was the umpire corrupt when we got a free against Geelong in the 1st Semi of the 2010 Finanls series that cost them a goal and won us the game?

JB are you serious? That was clearly our free otherwise the umpire wouldnt have paid it. If Geelong got a similar one then it is corruption. Get with the program JB.

Austinnn
Club Player

In answer to the OP; Not in that way.

But they are an unaccountable all powerful paranoid state which doesn't allow dissent and thinks only of colonising lucrative lands rather than taking care of its community.

Imagine a sporting body that began as a way of streamlining the sport and ended up using the people and clubs in that sport to make their organisation richer and more powerful.

It is criminal, but then at least they aren't as corrupt as FIFA, now that is some evil s***. Thank god we don't have the AFL equivalent of Sepp Blatter, Jack Warner and Chuck Blazer. Not yet.
Last edited by Austinnn on Tue 07 Aug 2012 7:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
TJMcCarthy
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Thinline wrote:
collingwood ranked 17th

I think his point maybe that if they were corrupt about the pies why does it seem it is only against us. Lets face it when we get a good go with the umps we still find a few frees that are incorrect and some wont even acknowledge we got a good deal and we get a bad deal as it seemed we did Saturday night the AFL is corrupt. Maybe they umpired poorly last week and maybe they umpire poorly when we get a good go.
I like this thread. It's really interesting. I love a good conspiracy theory.

But I think the stat putting the pies 17th on the list of 'free kicks for' shoot's really big holes in our theory of the AFL's preferential treatment for Collingwood FC. Plugger's point is clearly right. It's not just against us, the pro-stat stat proves it.

However the Saturday night 'umpire incompetence' or 'match fixing corruption' still deserves our hot attention.

Strength Through Unity - CAR'N THE SAINTS!
SMS
Club Player

To a point yes. Magpies, Cats and Hawks all have the AFL on hand. Watch their games and its clear they are earmarked for success.

No other teams do I feel like we are getting important decisions against us.

Theyll give us non important ones but anything that means something hawks, cats and pies something dodgy going on.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

You want a serious conversation and then come up with that crap. You wouldnt have a clue how they review decisions and as if they scared of upsetting the umpires. Players are watched on betting and so are umpires so what is your point.

They would want to win a lot of money because if they umpired poorly enough to change a result of game they would be dropped and miss out on match payments. By the way you do know the AFL have access to betting sheets. Actually I dont you know that if you really think a revue is a pat on the back.

I know they can look at betting sheets, I forgot bookmakers write up sheets with a receipt of their payments when match fixing occurs in sport. Wow if I got $50000 cash for throwing a match my $3000 match payment going missing would hurt.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Was the umpire corrupt when we got a free against Geelong in the 1st Semi of the 2010 Finanls series that cost them a goal and won us the game?
Most blatent free kick of the night. What is your point. Are you trying to compare decisions?

North Korea people NORTH KOREA!!! Open your eyes!!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:North Korea people NORTH KOREA!!! Open your eyes!!!
Is that a kind of first world problems kind of statement or suggesting they are corrupt? The AFL is rather like the NK regime -silence the critics through intimidation, denial even though the rest of the world is looking on bewildered, incompetence and people starving because they can't afford to feed their children at Etihad.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

The AFL corrupts the draw each year for money. So, yes.

The umpires just call what they see. Even if they got the last call wrong, you can see what they were thinking. Milne took his eyes off the ball and made contact with O'Brien. They may have thought it more severe than it was, but that can happen in real time. OTOH, I can't, for the life of me, figure out what Kosi was thinking.

I'm not sure the draw would have done us much good anyway.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

After the Freo game I was left wondering whether the AFL is corrupt or not, mainly out of pure frustration of a game that we threw away. The late free against Milne needs to be put into context with the other incidents involving him throughout the game. The way any contest was umpired involving Milne on Saturday night it really didn't surprise me in the slightest that the late free kick was paid against him. Milney got sucked in by Collingwood and their fans and so did the umpire. Still trying to work out why the umpire felt the need to pay a 50m penalty against Steve for having a crack at Harry O Brien. What was being said between the two had absolutely nothing to do with the umpire. Honestly.... Like... why did he get involved? Still has me scratching my head.