Tonight was more painful than GF09

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

One Eyed Saint
Club Player

Tonight was more painful than GF09

Why? well because in 09 I thought missed opportunity but the window was still open

Tonight showed how wide the gap has grown between us and the top teams.

Watching Geelong tear us a new one is like reliving 09 over and over and over again (swallowing razor blades)

If it is the end of the era then let's make it official and from here on in play players for the future move on those who are not.

You could see it in Riewoldt's eyes on the telecast - he knows tonight was a harsh reality check and also the end.

Does this mean we should now have the official "Wake" to commiserate the end of an era?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tonight was more painful than GF09

Get real

battye
Saintsational Legend

One Eyed Saint wrote:Why? well because in 09 I thought missed opportunity but the window was still open

Watching Geelong tear us a new one is like reliving 09 over and over and over again (swallowing razor blades)

If it is the end of the era then let's make it official and from here on in play players for the future move on those who are not.

You could see it in Riewoldt's eyes on the telecast - he knows tonight was a harsh reality check and also the end.

Does this mean we should now have the official "Wake" to commiserate the end of an era?
Yeah, I know exactly how you feel it. I'm feeling it too. I bet a lot of us are :(

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Buckets
SS Life Member

09 so much worse than this...no comparison.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
battye
Saintsational Legend

Just to clarify, obviously I don't think this loss was as bad as the Grand Final loss. But it certainly brought out those feelings of sadness again.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

One Eyed Saint wrote:Why? well because in 09 I thought missed opportunity but the window was still open

fraaak off no where near it... i was Devastated for days after that loss. still pisses me off close to 3 years on. tonight was nothing... just spelled in what was clearly on the table.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

2009 was one of the worst moments of my life

Tonight I expected us to lose. Anyone who held onto hopes of us still being a force need there head checked. Probably the silliest thread in ss history

Bring back the Lockett era
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

No comparison to that event, which still manages to depress me at its mention....thanks for that

Nee!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

lol

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Jesus.

How can you think that this loss was worse than the 09' GF?

Seriously.

2012 making up the numbers Vs 2009 Leading a GF going into the last quarter.

Perspective?

f*** me 2009 was the one we should have won. That is the cup we really let slip.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saintkid
Club Player

09 heaps worse cause it's so damn hard to get to a GF but tonight shows we are going to take a bl*#dy long time to get in that position again and that sucks too.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

I remember walking away from the final years ago when hawthorn pulled our pants down, thinking we are never going to match it with the rest of the league. couple of years later we played in 3 grand finals.

watters did better than I thought he would.

who knows what will happen, depends on the draw, what we pick up, and luck with injuries.

Bad Co.
Club Player

I'll never get over '09. Clearly the best side. I'm over tonight already, apart from the deep seated irritation still brewing from listening to Bwooce and Denis "I'm funny, aren't I" Commetti suck up to Harley and everything Girlong.

What planet are U on dude???? Take a breath....2012 was gone in round 1 in hindsight.

battye
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:2009 was one of the worst moments of my life

Tonight I expected us to lose. Anyone who held onto hopes of us still being a force need there head checked. Probably the silliest thread in ss history
So you're saying there wasn't a part of you that thought - no matter how unrealistic the thought was - that if we won tonight there wasn't the slimmest of chances that we could prepare for one last battle?

Everyone's been saying all week that this was an Elimination Final. But this wasn't just a final in the context of a season, this was an EF for this playing group. This playing group was playing for their last shot at glory.

You must have a bloody high pain threshold, because I think tonight's loss was gut wrenching.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
jonesy wrote:2009 was one of the worst moments of my life

So you're saying there wasn't a part of you that thought - no matter how unrealistic the thought was - that if we won tonight there wasn't the slimmest of chances that we could prepare for one last battle?

Everyone's been saying all week that this was an Elimination Final. But this wasn't just a final in the context of a season, this was an EF for this playing group. This playing group was playing for their last shot at glory.

You must have a bloody high pain threshold, because I think tonight's loss was gut wrenching.
My pain threshold got muted after gf2, I can't get any lower. I can now see things clearly. Anyone who thought we were still a chance this season need to be checked into rehab. We have fallen over time after time against quality this year. Were we going to magically replace 8 players in the last 6 weeks who have sub afl skills, and find replacements that will take us to September glory?!! This is not a Hollywood movie . Some of you are still stuck inside the pain of 09/10..... Walk away, walk away now for the good of your mental health.

Those gut wrenching close losses are well gone now, don't hang onto them hoping for redemption, it's over. We will come again, but not in the next few years

Bring back the Lockett era
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

gf2 didn't upset me that much. knew pies where better and was really proud of the effort they boys put in on gf1.. just need to work out our game plan and clean the team up. still some light left, we have some exciting young and new players in the mix.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Depressed for weeks after 2009. Knew we'd never play a better season. To have won that one would have been the equal of two or more - a never forgotten season.
Already looking forward to 2013 now. Reckon we'll rise.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

I did not even read the post, i can already see from the heading it will just be s***. if a round 21 loss hurt more than a GF well.....youve got a few screws missing.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Worst post I've ever seen on here. Man up biatch!

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
One Eyed Saint
Club Player

More than happy to be criticised for my post by unlike those who disagree I have NEVER given up on our finals hopes until now...

I have NEVER given up on our teams ability to find a way to win...until now

Call me dilusional, whatever but to giving up on the hope of success before now is just an easy way to accept and rationalise the losses of 09/10

Are u saying that rather than having expectations of winning games this year that I should I have not have even bothered??

Our whole club culture is built on eternal hope - if we dont have that whatelse do we have????

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

Not even close!! I have never given up hope on the saints.
But losing a GF is like being shot in the head!!

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

2009 was terrible feeling. 2010 II second half was just as bad.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Munga
Saintsational Legend

Err, no. 2009 was f!@#ed

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

The boys do like to tease dont they? Win those 4 or so close ones and we wouldnt be planning September holidays.

Our best is still better than anyones best imo but we rarely see it. 09 was heartbreaking, not comparable...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:The boys do like to tease dont they? Win those 4 or so close ones and we wouldnt be planning September holidays.

Our best is still better than anyones best imo but we rarely see it. 09 was heartbreaking, not comparable...

No that is complete rubbish.