Riewoldt: "Make BJ Captain"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

noreason41
Club Player

Riewoldt: "Make BJ Captain"

By Andrew Lowther and Ben Guthrie
1:17 PM Sat 18 Aug, 2012
AFL.com.au

ST KILDA captain Nick Riewoldt has revealed he believes it is in the Saints' best interest that he not captain the club in 2013.

Speaking on Melbourne radio on Saturday morning, Riewoldt, who is currently out injured, anointed Brendon Goddard as the ideal man to replace him in the job.

"Ideally for the club, I'm not captain next year," Riewoldt told SEN.

Riewoldt said he had no issue with handing the captaincy over in 2013, placing Goddard in front of experienced teammates Nick Dal Santo, Sam Fisher and Leigh Montagna.

"I think BJ's [Goddard] probably the front runner, but you look at the age and the demographic, BJ's 27.

"So it depends which way the club wants to go and I think they'll sit down at some stage and have a really good talk about it and I'm sure I'll be part of some of those discussions."

Goddard falls out-of-contract at the end of 2012, but Riewoldt said he hoped the star midfielder would soon commit to the club, paving the way for him to become captain.

"For me BJ's the obvious one, and clearly he's got some stuff going on with the club at the moment that hopefully gets resolved soon and that'll paint a bit of a clearer picture."

Speaking about his own future, Riewoldt, 29, said he wanted to continue playing for two or three more seasons.

"I'd like to keep playing as long as possible. I just marvel at Dustin Fletcher, it just makes me sick to be honest," he joked.

"In the end it's really going to be my body that holds me back and my knee in particular.

"I certainly hope I've got three years left in me."

Riewoldt said he had no desire to become a senior AFL coach once his playing days ended.

"I'd love to stay involved in footy in some capacity, but I'd probably rule coaching out after sitting in the box last night (against Geelong)."

"I've always sort of said that.

"You give so much of yourself as a player. Coaching is a 24-hour job and the thing that I would find hard about it is total responsibility with not as much control as you actually have as a player."

Riewoldt is set to marry American fiancé Catherine Heard in Texas at the end of the season, and said he would like to live in America for some time after his football career.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Riewoldt: "Make BJ Captain"

Interesting.....

I dunno, I think when he's up and running, BJ would be the perfect candidate. It's just when he has his "tantrums" that i'm not entirely sure. But perhaps the additional responsibilities of being the skipper would limit the times he "cracks the sads". Certainly Roo's had a couple of Richo moments he'd rather take back in the last couple of seasons...so does it make any difference???

I'm not sure who else to be honest. No point using a Lenny/Joey/Dal/Chips type player, because they're the same vintage as Roo.

Big Mac is one guy who stands out as a potential leader, but he is continually getting smashed in the middle of the ground, so I'm not 100% sure where his future lies to be honest. Of the younger brigade, he's the only one who seems likely - maybe Armo, but Steven, Stanley etc. dont seem to have it, and Siposs etc are the next era down the list.

Munga
Saintsational Legend

I'd like Dal

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Seconded. Give BJ some responsibility.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ST KILDA coach Scott Watters says out-of-contract utility Brendon Goddard wants to remain a Saint.

Speculation has surrounded the future of the 27-year-old, who is out of contract and becomes a restricted free agent at the end of the season. But Watters today emphasised Goddard’s commitment.

“I know Brendan wants to stay at (the) St Kilda football club,” Watters said.

“He’s very committed to wanting to be here, there’s no doubt about that.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 6457313734

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Also this
Watters denied a suggestion that captaincy would be used as an incentive for Goddard, but said the veteran has an opportunity to go down in St Kilda’s history books.

“We have three 300-game players at this club in 139 years of history,” Watters said.

“I’d like Brendon to be the fourth.”

slider
Club Player

No thanks, it would be a token gesture to keep him at the club.

The real leader of St Kilda onfield is Lenny Hayes.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Bj as captain, i don't think so, doesn't set a very good example, i agree with Leigh Matthews

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I reckon he would make a good Capt, his intensity would rub off on the players, he would show them how to be fair dinkum.
The position would have good effect on BJ himself , giving him the responsibility would make him more rounded. But to give it as a lure to keep him is simply not on.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Lip service from Roo. If he gives one, just one reason why it would be good for the future of the club and it's next flag tilt I would be surprised. Just one.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

He can't be captain of St Kilda if he's playing for Carlton, Freo or any other cashed up club with room in the cap. I would prefer our captain actually playing for us.

We don't know whether he is yet.

The Fireman wrote:I reckon he would make a good Capt, his intensity would rub off on the players, he would show them how to be fair dinkum.
The position would have good effect on BJ himself , giving him the responsibility would make him more rounded. But to give it as a lure to keep him is simply not on.
Hasnt shown too much intensity for a while now, compared to Hayes, Lenny probably doesnt want to skipper the club anyway.

Lendog is my captain every time they take the field, leads by example without having any leadership capacity.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I reckon he would make a good Capt, his intensity would rub off on the players, he would show them how to be fair dinkum.
+1

Nobody would say Roo was the perfect candidate all those years ago, the captaincy helped him eliminate some negative things and enhance other positive leadership qualities.

If he is the captain next year, I don't believe for a minute it is because it was a carrot....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
If he is the captain next year, I don't believe for a minute it is because it was a carrot....
Exactly, he's a deserving candidate for the captaincy and was even this time last year.

slider
Club Player

Please someone tell me what i have missed with Goddard?

I dont think hes played a decent game in years.

If he gets the captaincy its a set up, where is his leadership capabilties? please someone show me a reference to them.

Bloody big sook is all i have seen of late.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

slider wrote:Please someone tell me what i have missed with Goddard?

Did you watch the game last Friday?

Of course i did tell me more?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

slider wrote:Of course i did tell me more?
You're the genius who made the statement "he hasn't played a decent game in years" einstein. What a rediculous comment. You tell me more troll. :roll:

8856brother wrote:
slider wrote:Please someone tell me what i have missed with Goddard?

Did you watch the game last Friday?
He didnt even rack up a vote, must have been on fire somewhere else.

slider
Club Player

8856brother wrote:
You're the genius who made the statement "he hasn't played a decent game in years" einstein. What a rediculous comment. You tell me more troll. :roll:

Wake up little one and see the light, i asked you to show me how the mighty BJ did shine, and you come back with some attacking childish ploy to not have to answer my question to your obvious lack of knowledge about the game of AFL

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

slider wrote:
8856brother wrote:

Wake up little one and see the light, i asked you to show me how the mighty BJ did shine, and you come back with some attacking childish ploy to not have to answer my question to your obvious lack of knowledge about the game of AFL
What was your question? Your statement was he hadn't played a decent game in years. I suggested his game last week may have been decent. Was it that hard to understand.

To make the statement you made proves YOU lack football knowledge. I am comfortable with mine. If you don't like him that's fine, just say so. Dont speak sh#t.

What was your question? Your statement was he hadn't played a decent game in years. I suggested his game last week may have been decent. Was it that hard to understand.

To make the statement you made proves YOU lack football knowledge. I am comfortable with mine. If you don't like him that's fine, just say so. Dont speak sh#t.
I remember my 1st drink too

All i ask for is facts, can you please provide them? and i will retract any negatives about BJ that i have typed about last weeks game. By the way he was very ordinary

Please fill in the gap below with all your agro
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

slider wrote:

I remember my 1st drink too

All i ask for is facts, can you please provide them? and i will retract any negatives about BJ that i have typed about last weeks game. By the way he was very ordinary

Please fill in the gap below with all your agro
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

30 disp
10marks
1 goal

You fail to understand how poor your statement was. This was just last week. Do you want me to go back through his last 40 games in the past few years and find a few more "decent" games.

Easy outside possys failed to make a vote arcross the board so he must of been great, yep go back as far as you want.... yawn!!!!!! stats arnt worth jacko to an easy stat gatherer like BJ playing outside. Go make love to your BJ poster, hes an overpaid dud at the club. Still waiting for you to prove i am wrong?

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

slider wrote:Easy outside possys failed to make a vote arcross the board so he must of been great, yep go back as far as you want.... yawn!!!!!! stats arnt worth jacko to an easy stat gatherer like BJ playing outside. Go make love to your BJ poster, hes an overpaid dud at the club. Still waiting for you to prove i am wrong?
I've had more sensible conversations with my 2 year old. See ya. :P