Should Kosi be given a farewell game?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Kosi is cooked. Need I say the obvious?

Assuming he will be delisted at the end of the season, should he get one final goodbye match?

GWS, our final home game of the season an most likely almost no chance of finals should see him play next week.

I'm hoping Watters and Pelchen have stamped his papers already and the negtivity towards Kos can be turned to a testimonial week this week before he hangs up his boots.

All those that cheered him being subbed, all those relieved that he was off, can then relax and salute what was a good career.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Should Kosi be given a farewell game?

As I said elsewhere, I am a Kosi fan, but last night, I just got the impression he is player whose body can no longer do what he wants it to do.
Honestly it makes me a litle angry, he and Roo we're our first two picks as we all know.
Roo, works his ass off and leads by an example and is a great athletic talent, however, Kosi I believe had the better natural football talent than Roo. He was a great kick, mark and reader of the play when we recruited him.
He won the Rising Star award by daylight.
But unfortunately, as is my belief, he was terribly mismanaged early in his career, especially season 2 by a club, who unfortunately, due to financial restraints, we're in a position where their football department and player management skills we're way below those of other clubs back then.
Because of this, Kosi was probably pushed too hard to early and is paying for it now.
As I said elsewhere, he may retire before delisted.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I thought he was contracted till the end of next year !

In red white and black from 73
saint6709
Club Player

While we are talking about "what I said elsewhere" the club needs to come out and say Kosi has been playing under duress of injury and that he is not going play again this year - and then let him retire gracefully - good guy etc etc just needs to give it away

StNoodles
Club Player

He was on Before the Game last week saying how good his body is feeling and how he wants to 'drag out' his career for as long as possible.

He is much loved by the players and many staff, it'll be a big call to cut him loose after this season's over. Can't see it happening myself.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

StNoodles wrote:He was on Before the Game last week saying how good his body is feeling and how he wants to 'drag out' his career for as long as possible.

He is much loved by the players and many staff, it'll be a big call to cut him loose after this season's over. Can't see it happening myself.
What if we recruit a ruckman who can run, who can mark, who average more than 5 touches a game?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
mildurasaint
Club Player

Just wonder with Kosi what would happen if he played full time ruck and behind the ball rather than forward. Not saying permanent defender just ruck and then sit back and cut off opposition attacks. Is a strong mark and good disposal, maybe better suited to just running straight at it. Just feel he might go somewhere else like a gws and prove a few people wrong. Agree he looks too slow when the ball hits the deck forward.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Kosi is cooked. Need I say the obvious?

Assuming he will be delisted at the end of the season, should he get one final goodbye match?

GWS, our final home game of the season an most likely almost no chance of finals should see him play next week.

I'm hoping Watters and Pelchen have stamped his papers already and the negtivity towards Kos can be turned to a testimonial week this week before he hangs up his boots.

All those that cheered him being subbed, all those relieved that he was off, can then relax and salute what was a good career.
Didn't know you were on the coaching panel, who else are we delisting???

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

The decision on if he plays or not should be with Milne Saad Sneider and Milera I bet its a overwhelming YES. They love and need Kosi up there.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
gringo
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:The decision on if he plays or not should be with Milne Saad Sneider and Milera I bet its a overwhelming YES. They love and need Kosi up there.

I agree, they seem to forget that a guy with s*** form at the pies is being offered multimillions not retired by fan site. He will get a life line even if he is playing crap because even if we load up on talls not many will walk straight in.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

If we find a player who can do what he does, but better. Then i dont see any reason to keep him.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:If we find a player who can do what he does, but better. Then i dont see any reason to keep him.
Like find someone who is 197cm, who can take contested marks forward and back, kick 50 metres either foot with precision and show scant regard for his body and health for the sake of the club? Sounds like a snap.

His detractors obvious started to see the day only after he came back from his brain injury.

I like Kosi and think he has been a great Saints player over the years. He provided us with a weapon no other club had. But after his injury, he was only 95% of the player he was before. In AFL, that's enough to turn a champ into a chump.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
clarky449 wrote:If we find a player who can do what he does, but better. Then i dont see any reason to keep him.
Like find someone who is 197cm, who can take contested marks forward and back, kick 50 metres either foot with precision and show scant regard for his body and health for the sake of the club? Sounds like a snap.

His detractors obvious started to see the day only after he came back from his brain injury.

I like Kosi and think he has been a great Saints player over the years. He provided us with a weapon no other club had. But after his injury, he was only 95% of the player he was before. In AFL, that's enough to turn a champ into a chump.
The brain injury reduced him by more like 50% of capacity. It was massive. Sad.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Lyon experimented with Kosi as a key forward and it met with only partial success.

It was worth a try, but I'd have had him back in the ruck full time as early as 2009.

Now it may be too late to move him back.

I've always liked Kosi, but seeing him like a fish out of water as a key forward is difficult to watch.

Vazelos
Club Player

I can remember a run of games in 2005 where he was untouchable and there was a game, I think vesus Melbourne, who were in finals contention that year and we smashed them and Kosi was dominating. i walked away that day thinking we would win the premiership and Kosi will be an all time great!! Both never happened, its a fine line!!!

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Lyon experimented with Kosi as a key forward and it met with only partial success.

It was worth a try, but I'd have had him back in the ruck full time as early as 2009.

I've always liked Kosi, but seeing him like a fish out of water as a key forward is difficult to watch.
Have you seen him ruck? Cant even do that.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saintbob
SS Life Member

3rd generation saint wrote:As I said elsewhere, I am a Kosi fan, but last night, I just got the impression he is player whose body can no longer do what he wants it to do.
Honestly it makes me a litle angry, he and Roo we're our first two picks as we all know.
Roo, works his ass off and leads by an example and is a great athletic talent, however, Kosi I believe had the better natural football talent than Roo. He was a great kick, mark and reader of the play when we recruited him.
He won the Rising Star award by daylight.
But unfortunately, as is my belief, he was terribly mismanaged early in his career, especially season 2 by a club, who unfortunately, due to financial restraints, we're in a position where their football department and player management skills we're way below those of other clubs back then.
Because of this, Kosi was probably pushed too hard to early and is paying for it now.
As I said elsewhere, he may retire before delisted.
This is my belief also, he was totally mismanaged by our football department especially GT.
I also believe he will retire before the year ends, but as with a few other ex league players who were played after suffering similar head injuries wait for the law suit that follows!!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:Lyon experimented with Kosi as a key forward and it met with only partial success.

Have you seen him ruck? Cant even do that.
He could. 2010 GF 1.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I just find it sad. :(

Whatever the club and he decides, he gave a lot to the Saints....still does, was horrified to hear last year he has regular trips to the neurosurgeons.

I do think he'd retire before going to another club.

I just hope the decision isn't a hasty one, find the ruck / forward, tall defender etc you need before you delist the guys that may be needed if you don't find them.

They knew they needed certain kind of players at the end of last year and nothing eventuated.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Forgive me if I've been hiding under a rock, but I don't recall the Kosi brain surgery being in the public domain.

It sadens me that so many so called fans are so agressive toward Kosi. From my perspective, he has been a fantastic St Kilda person, who is loyal and 100% committed to his team mates and the club.

In a bygone era, a player with Kosi's ability to mark and kick would have been a champion full forward, but the game in the modern era, especially under Ross Lyon, required him to 'flood' into the backline, and hence not able to be the great 'lead up' forward that he could have been.

His form has been dissapointing in recent times, and he did look way too slow against Geelong on Friday night.

If his body has 'crapped out', I would love to give him a respectable send off. To me, Kosi is in the same ilk as Max and Steven Baker, and they have earned a thank you from the club and it's supporters.

On the other hand, if he has been carrying injuries, I'd like to see him rested and back next year, fit and ready for action.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:I thought he was contracted till the end of next year !

my belief is he has 1 year extension (same as gram) if they play nearly all games.

jays
Club Player

He is finished face it

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Great clubman and I hope he is involved in the club after he finishes playing. BTW it won't surprise if he anounces his retirement in the next week or two.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Yes, definately....

It was last week.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
PaulB
Club Player

Interesting tweet @ noon from Mick Warner of the HS

"Past 6 rds one key fwd (StK) just 25 marks, experts & fans want him cut. Another key fwd (Coll) 24 marks, wants $1m a year"