Josh Caddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Josh Caddy

Would you give Suns a first rounder for a ready made young mid?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Re: Josh Caddy

Probably not - I think our more pressing needs lie elsewhere.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Yes I would, we know we need a backman and a ruckman/ foward, but if there are not any standouts we can get in the draft or trade then we should go after him

I love this club
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Would definitely give pick 12 for him, especially if BJ leaves. Because we would then recieve pick 13 as well.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:Would definitely give pick 12 for him, especially if BJ leaves. Because we would then recieve pick 13 as well.
+1

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Yep. Already developed and very talented. A sure thing beats a potentially good draft pick any day.

Richter
SS Life Member

Yes. But unless BJ leaves we won't be able to afford him.

His club of choice last year was Essendoom but they couldn't give up the 1st round draft pick GC wanted. They will struggle to this year also as they will give up their first pick for Joe Daniher.

Unfortunately there are a few Melbourne clubs who have first round picks ahead of us who may be able to offer a better 1st rounder than us.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Yes. But unless BJ leaves we won't be able to afford him.

His club of choice last year was Essendoom but they couldn't give up the 1st round draft pick GC wanted. They will struggle to this year also as they will give up their first pick for Joe Daniher.

Unfortunately there are a few Melbourne clubs who have first round picks ahead of us who may be able to offer a better 1st rounder than us.
Wouldn't it be sad if Caelton got him with 1 pick in front of us cause winning a nothing Rd 23 game didn't mean much to them...

I would like to think we could potentially package an experienced player that would help GC from a leadership perspective - so if we said.......here's pick 12 plus Clint Jones.... for Caddy?

If BJ goes and we got 13 for him.... we'd have done mightily well IMHO

“Yeah….nah””
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Considering bj loves golf so much, wouldn't it be good to get him a Caddy?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
kimberly saint
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:Considering bj loves golf so much, wouldn't it be good to get him a Caddy?
:D

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Yes I would give up the first round DP for Caddy in a heartbeat.

Not sure it's a massive salary he demands (so it may not depend on Goddard leaving) - last year he wanted to come back to Vic because of his sick father.

Hold your ground :shock:
Rosco
Club Player

yes. then sneer at essendon (caddy & ross).

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:yes. then sneer at essendon (caddy & ross).
and dunnell

I love this club
Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

If we're looking at Caddy, we may as well look at Lucas Cook and Jordan Gysberts from melbourne

Cook is 20, draft pick 12 in 2010 draft is 196cm, and 81kgs

Gysberts is 21, was draft pick 11 in 09, is 190cms, and 84kgs

Both are apparently unhappy at Melbourne, and who wouldn't be

To add to it they would come cheaper than Caddy

class of 2010
Club Player

the reason they would come cheap is because Cook has shown nothing to suggest he will be able to cut the mustard at afl level. For a slight bloke he doesn't seem to move with any hustle. Gysberts I am a fan of, would love to get him...probably would rate him around the same level as caddy. while Caddy has the hype I still think Gysberts has shown he can perform at AFL level to a greater degree than Caddy. the only thing in the back of my mind with Gysberts is that his first few games were awesome...but so were Polo's and he never really reached those heights ever again in his career which has now seemingly drawn to a conclusion. Also heard whispers about work ethic and back problems. If they didn't cost too much I wouldn't be totally against trading for the two, Gysberts all going well could improve the side next year, and Cook will be getting to the stage where you'd hope he'd be able to play solid AFL footy at about the time Kosi/Roo call it quits. In terms of key forwards I'd prefer one of Callum Sinclair, Tom Lee or Jackson Coleman though. Only thing with Coleman is that it looked as though he'd done a knee in the vfl final last week.

oh when the saints
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would look at Cockie and Cook before swapping a first rounder, both have a place filling in our middle age bracket which we still lack. Both look like solid and cheap mids. Curran looks ok too, Caddy might turn out to be a gun but the games I've seen he wasn't exactly Toby Greene.

I would give our first pick for Cameron or Greene though- even Mohr looks pretty good for a more speculative pick- a true big full back.

Greene is like the second coming of Ben cousins.

saints66
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:Would definitely give pick 12 for him, especially if BJ leaves. Because we would then recieve pick 13 as well.
Do we get pick 13 or do we get the pick after our next year's first round pick.

In other words, doesn't the Club have to flag earlier in the year they are going to use a compensatory pick so we can't use it until next year's draft.

I am not sure though. :?:

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

saints66 wrote:
Do we get pick 13 or do we get the pick after our next year's first round pick.

In other words, doesn't the Club have to flag earlier in the year they are going to use a compensatory pick so we can't use it until next year's draft.

I am not sure though. :?:
That is certainly the case with compensation picks awarded to clubs who lost players to GC/GWS, however my understanding is that FA is different and that the compensation pick is automatically included in the upcoming national draft. Given that BJ is likely to be determined as Band 1, we will recieve a pick in the middle of the first round. I'm assuming that means we'll end up with picks 12 and 13 if BJ does infact decide to leave. I think that he will, but until he confirms his decision all we can do is speculate.

Caddy is perhaps going to cost too much on the trade table. Whilst i'd love to get him, i'd much prefer Kane Lucas who is the sort of midfielder we could use, highly talented, and still young.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Yep you have to use the compo pick during that year's draft (they can't be banked like the GC/GWS Uncontracted player compo).

I'm pretty sure that if BJ leaves for any club other than GWS we will get pick 13.

If he chooses GWS we get pick 13 & an end of first round pick (21?) but we can bank those picks until next year if we desire. This would probably be a smart thing to do if Watters & Pelchen think our ladder position will be lower than this year.

On the original topic.... a big yes to Caddy IF we have that additional 1st rounder. If we can find a way to package something (someone) else in & get hold of Josh Toy as well then we will come out of it like bandits. Toy has been cruelled by injuries & apparently doesn't get along very well with McKenna. He could thrive given a good injury run & a fresh start. He & Caddy would certainly kick start our midfield rebuild.

Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

How did Gysberts manage to average 21 disposals in his first 11 games, something must of gone wrong because he has gone downhill since then

dragit
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:i'd much prefer Kane Lucas who is the sort of midfielder we could use, highly talented, and still young.
Why Kane Lucas? could barely break into the Carlton side which struggled for most of the year… when he did, averaged under 10 touches a game.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Like most of GC, you have to ignore all the stuff he did wrong to see how awesome he is. Caddy logged heavy midfield minutes this year and didn't get much ball, inside or outside. When he did, he didn't use it particularly well. He kicked fifteen goals but he only had 5 score assists for the entire season. 56 tackles over 22 games isn't exactly stellar either. I don't think his play lives up to his reputation. He's a blah mid on a bad team. Just because he's 20 doesn't mean he's going to get better. I'd much rather take my chances with the pick(s).

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

giving first rd picks doesn't happen often, for obvious reasons. would've rather given it away for a Mitch Clarke type of player

andrewg
Club Player

Caddy would be great for us. Future midfielder good skills hard runner. Would be massive for our list

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

andrewg wrote:Caddy would be great for us. Future midfielder good skills hard runner. Would be massive for our list
Agreed, IF we were to lose our best player, I'd love to replace him with a future gun midfielder. As much as we need/want a big monster backman, quality that good is hard to find. With the Bombers resigned to using their first pick for Daniher, we could pounce, in fact, I would try to pounce anyway, backend his contract for when Lenny retires and offer him 4 or 5 years, what they heck!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!