Josh Caddy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Josh Caddy

Old Mate wrote:Gilbert just signed a longterm deal with the Saints so I would suggest he is out of the equation. I realise he can still be traded if both parties agree but won't happen.
Yes, you're right. That slipped my mind.

Maybe 12 and Ray for Caddy.

Keep pick 13.

Trade 2nd/3rd rounder for Hickey.

That is assuming Goddard leaves.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Gilbert just signed a longterm deal with the Saints so I would suggest he is out of the equation. I realise he can still be traded if both parties agree but won't happen.
Yes, you're right. That slipped my mind.

Maybe 12 and Ray for Caddy.

Keep pick 13.

Rumour that GC are interested in Raph Clarke and being a FA we would get a 3rd rounder at least for him (if he's picked up in the FA window). That pick could potentially be used on Hickey and then our 12 or 13 pick (if Goddard leaves) could be used on Caddy. Effectively we'd be swapping Goddard/Clarke for Caddy/Hickey.

Ray signed on for two years at the end of last season and he became a regular in our 22 towards the end of this season. I'd suggest he may be in our plans unless a good trade was avail.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:Maybe 12 and Ray for Caddy.

Keep pick 13.

I think pick 12 is plenty for Caddy. He was taken at 7 in a compromised draft and this year's draft pool is very strong. Straight swap is a fair trade IMO

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:

Keep pick 13.

I think pick 12 is plenty for Caddy. He was taken at 7 in a compromised draft and this year's draft pool is very strong. Straight swap is a fair trade IMO

Use pick 13 on Caddy if BJ leaves.

Wonder if we'd still use our pick 12 on Caddy if BJ stays?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

Keep pick 13.

I bloody hope so. He's not even 20 yet and has had two years of development. I reckon barring injuries he'll have a breakout season next year. He's exactly what we need with Lenny towards the end of his career. He was a worthy pick 7 in a very good draft and captain material.

noob
Club Player

Throw in the steak and knives in as well!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:

I bloody hope so. He's not even 20 yet and has had two years of development. I reckon barring injuries he'll have a breakout season next year. He's exactly what we need with Lenny towards the end of his career. He was a worthy pick 7 in a very good draft and captain material.

Dont we have a salary cap. If we keep BJ we can only get hacks.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Dont we have a salary cap. If we keep BJ we can only get hacks.
details details...it's off season and we're a top 4 cert.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:With Josh Fraser gone - just wondering why the GC would want to lose Hickey? He is also born and bred in QLD. They would be insane to let him go.
no idea if they want to, but they have plenty of talls. at 196cm or taller currently (ignoring fraser):

zac smith - 205cm, 97kg - 22yo, 36 games
tom hickey - 201cm, 87kg - 21yo, 12 games
tom nicholls - 201cm, 93kg - 20yo, 1 game
daniel gorringe - 200cm, 88kg - 20yo, 8 games
charlie dixon - 200cm, 101kg - 21yo, 22 games
rory thompson - 200cm, 91kg - 21yo, 13 games
tom lynch - 199cm, 91kg - 19yo, 30 games
josh hall - 197cm, 84kg - 22yo, 2 games
henry schade - 196cm, 81kg - 18yo, 0 games
sam day - 196cm, 96kg - 20yo, 22 games

and brennan at 195cm. i don't know much about most of these guys, but it's unlikely more than a few of them can play in the same side, especially if the afl goes to two subs. i'd understand if gcs were keen to trade a couple of them while they still have currency.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

If we keep BJ we can only get hacks.
Do you know that for a fact plugger?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Obviously not but seeing as we are close the salary cap I would say it is just common sense. Caddy would be after 200k or more you would think. I reckon that puts us out of the running if BJ stays.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Obviously not but seeing as we are close the salary cap I would say it is just common sense. Caddy would be after 200k or more you would think. I reckon that puts us out of the running if BJ stays.
We might have to trade someone out and also cut a few more to make room… would be worth it.
If Blake retires and one of Jones or Clarke can be traded we would have a spare 200 surely?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It certainly makes sense that we would have to lose a high profile player such as Goddard to gain a decent player like Caddy however we don't know for sure. Who knows what sort of contracts Gilbert, Monty, Hayes and co. signed into. I'm guessing they would not have received pay rises. Then we signed Siposs and a few younger players who would have received pay rises. And who knows what sort of money blokes like Clarke, Polo and Peake were are/were on. Someone like Clarke could potentially have been on 250k and now his contract has expired. The club could have potentially sorted out the salary cap restraints in this last round of new contracts allowing for us to target someone such as Caddy.

The Mullet
Club Player

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

o Kosi will be playing for peanuts next season and Roo/Fisher will not be on amazing money they once were.

Yes players like Steven/Armitage will be up for pay increases however not in the realm of the A-graders just yet.

Therefore would we not have some extra cash to spend even if Goddard stays?

I struggle to see who actually deserves a major pay increase that would automatically offset the pay decreases in the next two seasons for Roo/Fisher/Joey etc.

Thoughts?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

caddy's probably a good player, but am i the only one worried about signing a guy who's such a sook that he can't stand living interstate away from "home"? what's to stop him asking for a trade in a couple of years because the drive to seaford is too long?

StGoddard18
Club Player

bergholt wrote:caddy's probably a good player, but am i the only one worried about signing a guy who's such a sook that he can't stand living interstate away from "home"? what's to stop him asking for a trade in a couple of years because the drive to seaford is too long?
I remember hearing last year he wants to come home to be with his sick father.

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

The Mullet wrote:Caddy has officially quit GC now.

http://goldcoastfc.com.au/news-and-medi ... the-coast/
With the Bombers using their first round pick on Joe Daniher I really like our chances of securing Caddy. You'd think Vic clubs with a similar first round pick would also be interested - Such as Carlton, Richmond and North. It would be a very good sign if an up and coming potential star player was recruited to our club. Apart from the beginning of the GT era we've never really attracted decent players.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:caddy's probably a good player, but am i the only one worried about signing a guy who's such a sook that he can't stand living interstate away from "home"? what's to stop him asking for a trade in a couple of years because the drive to seaford is too long?
Like Chris Judd?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:o Kosi will be playing for peanuts next season and Roo/Fisher will not be on amazing money they once were.

Yes players like Steven/Armitage will be up for pay increases however not in the realm of the A-graders just yet.

I struggle to see who actually deserves a major pay increase that would automatically offset the pay decreases in the next two seasons for Roo/Fisher/Joey etc.

Thoughts?

If Kosi is on contract for the saints next year and its not a new contract then it won't be for peanuts, but probably a pretty good wage

sainter#4
Club Player

I would love to have Caddy at the saints.

I also believe we can secure him without trading our first round pick, but if we must use it i hope we can somehow pull off Caddy + hickey for our 1st rounder or even 2nd rounder + clarke

noob
Club Player

Won't happen. If Goddard stays we have no option but to use our first pick if we want Caddy. People forget Essendon's second round pick is in front our 2nd round so if we don't elect to use our first round pick on Caddy then Essendon will surely use their 2nd round pick for him.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

GC will want a first round pick for him and rightfully so. That effectively puts the Bombers out of the equation cos they've committed to using their first round pick. We are in a good position to get Caddy if we are willing to part with pick 12 or the compensation pick we would receive if BJ left. A lot will depend on if Caddy nominates a particular club/s.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

You might need to check the background here - last year he wanted to come back to Vic (Ess) to be with his sick father, not necessarily a 'sook'
Folks do get homesick.

Would give up the first DP for Caddy in a heartbeat - subject to a medical, as he's had injuries. Not at the expense of Goddard though, I reckon they can get Caddy and retain Goddard.

Hold your ground :shock:
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:o Kosi will be playing for peanuts next season and Roo/Fisher will not be on amazing money they once were.

Thoughts?

If Kosi is on contract for the saints next year and its not a new contract then it won't be for peanuts, but probably a pretty good wage
Absolutely. Same goes for Roo and Fisher, there's no reason why they wouldn't be on the huge money they've commanded over the past few years while on the same contract