Brendon Goddard set to sign with Essendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

battye
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brendon Goddard set to sign with Essendon

dragit wrote:
battye wrote: If you are a player - be it in the draft or under free agency - why would you want to come to St Kilda right now?
Because we can afford them…
And which players - better than Goddard - would that include?

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
battye wrote: If you are a player - be it in the draft or under free agency - why would you want to come to St Kilda right now?
Because we can afford them…
Oh, so when we choose to 'afford them' we can afford them?

Either we're building a culture where you have to settle for less to be a Saints, or were not?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
evertonfc wrote:I've got no qualms with letting him walk.

We need to be very clear that St Kilda is now a place where you come to be part of the culture and success, and to be part of that, you have to give up something.
:?:

If you are a player - be it in the draft or under free agency - why would you want to come to St Kilda right now? We have to actually have a successful culture before this strategy works...
At the moment the message being sent suggests that even if you are an elite player, don't expect to get compensated accordingly.

In an article we had 3 players in the top 25 suggesting we paid to well. Now we seem to have got it right. You could also say why the hell would Watson want to stay at Essendon if a guy with one top 3 finish in his clubs B&F walks in and then is clearly paid the most money.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Players come.....Players go. The club goes on. I wish Brendon Goddard the best of everything, a VERY GOOD player, and one who has given me much to admire during his time at the Saints.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
andrewg
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
Depressing if accurate.

But no, apparently BJ is just being stubborn and greedy.... wants $750k x 4 and wont budge.... :roll:

Maybe the original offer but x 4 would've even done it?

Now there are other eager suitors, and he's likely and understandably got his nose out of joint....

=Bye-bye BJ.

Do you think Rooy has earnt his money in the last 3 years?
Yes he has
I know you are an antagonist plugger and that's ok but I'm not biting today.
Pretty sure Salopek is still coming to the saints and my mail on GWS was 100% correct, BJ just didn't want to go there. Proof of that is the bombers made a similar offer to GWS and BJ took it.

And if you want to have a private chat with someone PM them, anything you put on the open forum is OPEN for ANYONE to comment on. If this is confusing please look up

http://www.ehow.com/how_2106033_use-pro ... uette.html

This will help you with how a basic forum works.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

andrewg wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yes he has
I know you are an antagonist plugger and that's ok but I'm not biting today.
Pretty sure Salopek is still coming to the saints and my mail on GWS was 100% correct, BJ just didn't want to go there. Proof of that is the bombers made a similar offer to GWS and BJ took it.

And if you want to have a private chat with someone PM them, anything you put on the open forum is OPEN for ANYONE to comment on. If this is confusing please look up

http://www.ehow.com/how_2106033_use-pro ... uette.html

This will help you with how a basic forum works.

You do realise if we get Salopek on FA we will not get as much for the BJ FA trade?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I don't want Salopek at St Kilda.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dan Richardson on SEN just said the 4th year was a major component, he wanted security

andrewg
Club Player

Not getting him through FA, last I heard the Roos Saints or Dogs will get him (but they are reluctant to get him through FA) Sal said he may have to nominate for the draft and we get him with our 4th pick (rough guess pick 60?)

Other than the Roos and Dogs no one else has contacted him.

Just see what happens I suppose

PJ
SS Life Member

battye wrote:
evertonfc wrote:I've got no qualms with letting him walk.

We need to be very clear that St Kilda is now a place where you come to be part of the culture and success, and to be part of that, you have to give up something.
:?:

If you are a player - be it in the draft or under free agency - why would you want to come to St Kilda right now? We have to actually have a successful culture before this strategy works...
At the moment the message being sent suggests that even if you are an elite player, don't expect to get compensated accordingly.
"Accordingly"?...I'd question the price of a player that has had an OK ( not great ) 2 seasons in a team that is heading south and needs reinvention and youth. He is a good player with great footskills. IMO he is too emotional for leadership and that's what our young players need - not someone that is prepared to put his value on the market before the club (not that there's anything wrong with that - especially if your main focus is yourself).

BJ's clearly heading in the opposite direction to what our management is trying to establish.

Time will tell if this was a good or bad move but after the last few seasons I'm happy to head in the direction of freshening the team up.

No malice to BJ just more interested in the team.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Dan Richardson on SEN just said the 4th year was a major component, he wanted security

Poor BJ. Milney has had 5 one year contracts in a row. Back yourself BJ to be as good as Milney and Lenny at their age and you will have security. Sounds like someone who has had 2 good years but certainly nothing special.

markp
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
SainterK wrote:Robbo just said BJ and his camp asked to sit down only recently with the club to see if they would be open to a fourth year with conditions met in the third, and they said no to even talking about it. All the way along it has been 'it is what it is'

For the record, I think Robbo has been in communication with BJ the entire time, and would know.
Depressing if accurate.

But no, apparently BJ is just being stubborn and greedy.... wants $750k x 4 and wont budge.... :roll:

Now there are other eager suitors, and he's likely and understandably got his nose out of joint....

=Bye-bye BJ.

How much is he on?

Are you suggesting we offer BJ unders because we've paid other players overs?

If it's true that the club wont even talk about a fourth year, and will only offer him what they think he's worth at his worst form, then that is diabolical.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:
Depressing if accurate.

=Bye-bye BJ.

How much is he on?

Are you suggesting we offer BJ unders because we've paid other players overs?

If it's true that the club wont even talk about a fourth year, and will only offer him what they think he's worth at his worst form, then that is diabolical.

No it wasnt actually about the money, it was about the length of the contract. My point is anything can happen over 3 years let alone 4. Rooy hasnt earnt his money due to injury effecting his form. Luckily next year he seems to have dropped to 500K. Imagine if he was on a million again next year. It would be stupid just as Grams contract was stupid because of one good game in a GF. We could easily be saying the same about BJ in 3 or 4 years if he doesnt play better which is doubtful anyway because of his age in 3 or 4 years. I dont want people abusing BJ in 3 years like they have with Kosi and Gram because of stupid contract deals in th3e past.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:And which players - better than Goddard - would that include?
Umm, maybe players like Dangerfield, Fyfe, Hurley, Cotchin… who knows who will become available. They won't necessarily be better players than Goddard, what if we could upgrade 3-4 c- grade players into b-grade players… ?
SainterK wrote:Oh, so when we choose to 'afford them' we can afford them?

Either we're building a culture where you have to settle for less to be a Saints, or were not?
That's exactly right, we can "choose" to afford them when the time is right, not just overpaying players for the sake of it cause the last bloke did too… If Buddy Franklin becomes available, then yes we should make a play if it will help us towards winning a flag.

It's not necessarily about using all the room to pay one player… the point is that there should be enough room to bring in quality players, not top up with rubbish at pick 87.

Hawthorn had more 'guns' than Sydney on Saturday, but there was barely a weak link in the Sydney side and they got the chocolates although probably the underdog.

Shaw, Richards, Morton, Mattner, Kennedy, McGlynn, Mumford, Walsh, Everitt, it goes on & on… they haven't blown their entire cap on attracting one or two rock stars… just brought in lots of solid c-b grade players that they have improved… plus they let the best ruck men in the comp for pick what 14? Freed up cash and they took Jetta, what a disaster.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Interesting that his ex coach didn't put a formal offer to him.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Thats a real shame. Can't blame him though. A fresh start for BJ might be good for him...... and us. I'll miss him and loved what he brought to the Saints. The deal appears too good to refuse.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
shmic_s
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:Interesting that his ex coach didn't put a formal offer to him.
May have made a formal offer, BJ just didn't sign it.
Offer must be submitted to AFL with players signature on it.

Freo may have been offering more, but if BJ doesn't want to go there and he doesn't sign the offer sheet, nothing happens.

Hope that is in the same context of your post.

markp
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: No it wasnt actually about the money, it was about the length of the contract. My point is anything can happen over 3 years let alone 4. Rooy hasnt earnt his money due to injury effecting his form. Luckily next year he seems to have dropped to 500K. Imagine if he was on a million again next year. It would be stupid just as Grams contract was stupid because of one good game in a GF. We could easily be saying the same about BJ in 3 or 4 years if he doesnt play better which is doubtful anyway because of his age in 3 or 4 years. I dont want people abusing BJ in 3 years like they have with Kosi and Gram because of stupid contract deals in th3e past.
Robbo reported BJ wanted to sit down and discuss a fourth year with conditions met in the third.

That doesn't sound like an unreasonable starting point for a discussion.

Apparently the club flat out said no.

That doesn't sound so reasonable to me.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

I personally dont think he is as good as the money he will be getting so glad we arent paying overs for him :)

battye
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Robbo reported BJ wanted to sit down and discuss a fourth year with conditions met in the third.

I agree. It sounds like Goddard has done everything he reasonably can to get a deal done with the Saints.
Very disappointing the way we have gone about this.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
plugger66 wrote: No it wasnt actually about the money, it was about the length of the contract. My point is anything can happen over 3 years let alone 4. Rooy hasnt earnt his money due to injury effecting his form. Luckily next year he seems to have dropped to 500K. Imagine if he was on a million again next year. It would be stupid just as Grams contract was stupid because of one good game in a GF. We could easily be saying the same about BJ in 3 or 4 years if he doesnt play better which is doubtful anyway because of his age in 3 or 4 years. I dont want people abusing BJ in 3 years like they have with Kosi and Gram because of stupid contract deals in th3e past.
Robbo reported BJ wanted to sit down and discuss a fourth year with conditions met in the third.

I heard and have written that the club were happy to lose him. It seems the club would have kept him but completely on our terms. maybe they just see a player who had one top 3 B&F finish in 10 years and think their offer was good enough for that type of player. I like BJ as a player but to me he hasnt been a world beater since the GF 2 full seasons ago. ZNothing is going to change your mind and you will find reporters to suit your argument and nothing is going to change my mind and I will probably do the same with reporters. Anyway I was resigned to losing BJ about 5 weeks ago.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

What is with this team-based bulls*** that is being purported by most on here?

It is as if that other teams have never been teams before or something bizarre.

Fact is the BJ is not worth 700k annually.

Is our new 'team-based culcha' this years 'opening up the club to the public' rubbishy bulls*** from Nettlefold?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

shmic_s wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Interesting that his ex coach didn't put a formal offer to him.
May have made a formal offer, BJ just didn't sign it.
Offer must be submitted to AFL with players signature on it.

Freo may have been offering more, but if BJ doesn't want to go there and he doesn't sign the offer sheet, nothing happens.

Hope that is in the same context of your post.
It was reported in the Age that they didn't (not that it is necessarily true) but thanks for the good info..

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
markp wrote:

I heard and have written that the club were happy to lose him. It seems the club would have kept him but completely on our terms. maybe they just see a player who had one top 3 B&F finish in 10 years and think their offer was good enough for that type of player. I like BJ as a player but to me he hasnt been a world beater since the GF 2 full seasons ago. ZNothing is going to change your mind and you will find reporters to suit your argument and nothing is going to change my mind and I will probably do the same with reporters. Anyway I was resigned to losing BJ about 5 weeks ago.
It certainly looks like the club didn't want him, forget the offer, 3 x 475 when he was paid more previously is an insult.
He would have earnt more money if he sat out injured last year and got the surgery in round 2, it doesn't pay playing through pain.
You have to suffer through much pain barracking for this club.
I feel I have cursed my kids.

It's never over til it's over, but imagine if we matched the offer now, how stupid would we look?
Last edited by maverick on Mon 01 Oct 2012 4:45pm, edited 1 time in total.