Rumour Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Re: Rumour Thread

8856brother wrote:Pick 13 is going to the Pies from Melbourne for Dawes apparently will happen next week. How is this possible? How can anyone trade picks when the AFL haven't yet assigned free agent compo picks. If I trade for pick 13. I expect to get pick 13.

How is this joke of a system supposed to work.
surely not right? 13 for a b-grade fwd??

“Yeah….nah””
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

8856brother wrote:Pick 13 is going to the Pies from Melbourne for Dawes apparently will happen next week. How is this possible? How can anyone trade picks when the AFL haven't yet assigned free agent compo picks. If I trade for pick 13. I expect to get pick 13.

They are taking compo into account, as it will be OUR pick 13 that we give them for the Frawley trade! Take note, this is just me dreaming but yes, my visions are all coming together nicely...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

no effing way melb would trade 13 for dawes.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:$900k!!!????

My god, if that's true that club deserves to go under
Who?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Teflon wrote:

no effing way melb would trade 13 for dawes.

they said wellingham and dawes for pick 4 in one of the articles. Melbourne are off their tits. How to turn a gilt edged pick into a sack of poo.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

wellingham wants to go home to perth????

no??

Mitch35
Club Player

Are we set to announce two new players?

http://www.saints.com.au/players/tabid/ ... fault.aspx

St Kilda has updated their website. They have deleted our delistings and left them blank, but also added two new slots where #47 and #48 should go...

Funnily enough, Sam Crocker is also still there...

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we will rookie Crocker

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Mitch35 wrote:Are we set to announce two new players?

http://www.saints.com.au/players/tabid/ ... fault.aspx

St Kilda has updated their website. They have deleted our delistings and left them blank, but also added two new slots where #47 and #48 should go...

Funnily enough, Sam Crocker is also still there...
you note Dunell's situation :)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

from zuckerbook...

DAY 6 WRAP:

It's day 6 of the silly season, and honestly, apart from my team playing in grand finals, it's my favourite part of the year! We've been spooled this year, well and truly. Free Agency means that we get more rumours, more speculations, more whispers, and the trade period, well that is proof to always expect the unexpected.

The Free Agency period runs for 3 weeks, From Oct 1 to Oct 19, while the Trade Period overlaps and runs from Oct 8 to 26. It's an entire month of player movement!

But on to today's news..

FATHER/SON NEWS:

10am is when the action started when Father/Son bidding got underway. It was all over within 15 minutes, and was seemingly straight forward and fluent. The Bombers secured the prodigal son Joe Daniher with pick 10, which came as no surprise, the dogs picked up Lachie Hunter with pick 46 which in my humble opinion is a steal, but all the headlines went to young demon, Jack Viney with Gold Coast opting to pass on the highly touted junior, paving the way for the Demons to take him with pick 26, Melbourne's second round pick.

JOE DANIHER:
Arguably the best junior player to ever come through the junior system. It's a big statement to make, but when you trace Daniher's bloodlines back to his famous sporting family, you knew that he was always destined for success.

If Daniher had of by-passed the offer to play for one of the AFL's powerhouse clubs in Essendon, he would have quite easily have been taken as pick one or two in the National Draft in November. He also did have the opportunity to join this years Premiers Sydney, however as suspected, chose Essendon in a heartbeat.

What bombers supporters can look forward to is Daniher's almost "freakish" abilities both in the air, and at ground level, he's a super athlete, and still somewhat raw, but a player opposition teams will fear every time then come up against the Bombers.

He's best suited as a power forward, a strong lead up player, and is very dynamic in his approach. What I love about him are his repeat efforts, his big tank is a feature of his game, and with that he often tires out his opponent. He's a workhorse, he never stop's competing, and his work further up the ground makes him super dangerous, a bit like Buddy Franklin in the sense that his agility means that he worries opponents no matter where abouts on the ground he is.

The number 6 has now been vacated at the Dons, so could we expected Joe to step into his fathers shoes, and play in the number his father made famous at the Bombers? Or will he take skipper Jobe Watson's lead and take a different number and make it his own?

I'm a fan of tradition, put it that way.

LACHIE HUNTER:
In his best TAC Cup game, Hunter kicked 3 goals off 37 disposals (majority contested) and he also laid 10 tackles. He’s got a great mix of inside and outside capabilities, and loves it hard and in close. He’ll be a welcome addition to the doggies side, and will fit in very well with the McCarthy game style which the Bulldogs are working towards establishing for their next finals campaign.

Doggies supporters can expect to see his best football forward of centre, as he has great explosiveness out of congestion, and adds a bit of polish to the young rugged and hard working in and under midfielders, and will compliment Wallis, Liabratore and Smith very nicely. What he needs to work on is his consistency, as his best and worse are miles apart. If he can get some continuity into his game, which I don't doubt will happen, then he’ll be a ripper for many years to come.

JACK VINEY:
There is absolutely no doubt that Jack Viney will follow his Father's lead, and one day become captain of the Melbourne Football Club. As all father/son selections do, Jack bleeds red and blue, and demon's fans will never have to question his attack at the man, the ball and the contest when he pulls on the famous jumper.

The key attributes about Viney are his leadership qualities. He's very vocal, he's a "general", although he might be 18 years of age, when playing for Melbourne affiliate Casey in the VFL, it was quite often you'd see Viney controlling traffic, telling his older team mates what to do and where to be. If a player did something right, he'd get over to him and congratulate him, if a mistake was made by someone, he'd also make the effort to get over to his teammate, and pump them up.

Viney is your "feel good" player. He's got quality leadership, self motivation, and class written all over him. He's a team man, the sort of bloke you want to stand shoulder to shoulder with. His strong contested style of football is the hall mark of his game, his ability to play the stoppages, find space in heavy traffic, and also dictate play is something that many young footballers struggle to pick up. He's a rare breed, in fact he's the guy who wins you games.

Melbourne players will be amped to play with him, and you can expect Jack to compliment all the other Jack's. Grimes, Trengove and Watts, all in all, a complete "Jack of all trades" you might put it.

Oh and one last thing - "If I didn't want to be physical, I would've played soccer or something."

It's the sort of mindset that wins you games; that win your finals.

He will set the tone, and have a huge impact from the get go straight off the bat in preseason, and you can expect that state of mind to follow through to round 1 next year when he makes his debut.

I'm not a Melbourne supporter, but jeeze you've got to be excited about the direction Melbourne are heading in with this young lad on board.

TRADE NEWS:

There was also a trade that happened this afternoon, which saw the Saints depart with their current first pick, pick 12 to the GWS Giants.

The Saints set pick 12 to Giants and in return picked up Tom Lee as a pre-listed player, and also secured pick 24 and 43, a dead set solid move by the Sainters.

As an avid fan of all the state leagues, when I heard Tommy Lee's name pop up this afternoon, I was ecstatic for the saints. Tommy originally was on the books for the Crows, however was delisted after a season. Since then Lee has been plugging away at his football, and has had some huge showings in the WAFL.

Here is my wrap of the young lad, who is now 21.

TOM LEE:
The people of Western Australia love this bloke. At 195cms and 94kgs, he is ready made to step into the St Kilda forward line immediately. He kicked 60 goals this season for WAFL side Claremont and was a key part of Claremont’s premiership.

Lee is a hard leading, agile forward, who is strong both overhead and below his knees. He’s a dead-eye-dick in front of the sticks, and has a beautiful and sound technique that almost never fails him.

Tommy Lee is known for kicking bags, he’s very hard to mark up on, and is a very smart forward who can turn a defender inside out at ground level, create space and lead multiple times, and he also doesn’t mind the odd goal on the run or in heavy traffic. Put simply, he’s a ripper!

It’s great list management by the Saints, who are preparing for the post “Rooey and Kosi” era, both in which will be turning 30 next year. Saints fans should be very excited about their future.

To put this trade into perspective, the Saints really come out on top. Effectively in hindsight the Saints have secured Tom Lee, Pick 13 (compo pick for losing Goddard), Pick 24 and Pick 43 for Brendan Goddard; a massive win there.

The saints are still a very good chance also to secure Tom Hickey, assuming they trade on pick 24 to the suns, which more than likely will happen in the coming days.

A big tick to to the St Kilda footy club.

OTHER TRADE NEWS:

WESTERN BULLDOGS:
Nothing says rebuilding like having 3 picks inside the first round of the draft, and 6 inside the top 50.

The news of Brian Lake's departure to the Hawks may have come as a shock to some, however to some fans it didn't.

When explained clearly, the doggies are MASSIVE winners here. Now I have a soft spot for the doggies, my dear old nan passed away a few years ago now, and bless her soul was a die hard doggies fan - but i'm not here to give you my life story, i'm here to bring you the facts!

The loss of Brian Lake is really nothing in the big scheme of things. The bulldogs will not be playing finals in the coming 2-3 years I am anticipating. So let's roll through a few finer points to justify my argument.

1: Brian Lake will be 31 next year, he will be a free agent, out of contract and could quite possibly be courted and recruited by any club wanting him, and his value in all likelihood will have dramatically decreased.

2: Brian Lake, if he stayed at the club, would not have been part of the next finals campaign.

3: Given the dogs are in a rebuilding phase, what good is it to play a 30-something year old, at the end of his career, in front of a young Marckovic or Talia, who will most likely hold down that position for the next decade?

It's times like these, where you need to look at the long term future. The dogs are a few years away from being serious finals contenders, so that said, now is the time to spoon feed the kids games. Now is the time to get a strangle hold on your upcoming key position players, and throw them into the deep end and allow the young crop of players to gel and formulate together.

What McCarthy is trying to do, is to bring this young list together, and get them to play as many games as possible. Nothing says "getting to know your team mates" like 50 games experience together.

Richmond have undergone the same formula in the past few season, and we're starting to see the fruits of these young kids push through.

Play as a team, grow as a team, win as a team.

PLAYER UPDATES:

KOBY STEVENS -
Nothing overly new to report, but a lot of where he will go will have a lot to do with other deals that are done. By that, I mean that West Coast's priority at the moment, is trying to secure a deal with Sharrod Wellingham, after that's out of the way, we should get a much clearer view on where Stevens may end up.
In all honesty, there is too much grey area at the moment, given every single Victorian Club has enquired about his services. Watch this space.

HAMISH MCINTOSH -
Geelong want him, and there is no doubt about that. The problem is they're having a rough time trying to meet the demands of North Melbourne. We all know that Hmac is a little on the injury prone side, but we know what he's capable of in full flight. A dominate ruckmen, a goal kicker, and very agile around the ground.

To put it simply for those who are not following my drift here, Geelong's window is still half open, and they're trying to squeeze a flag, and I'll have them right up there in 2013 if they can get Rivers, Caddy and McIntosh.

Ruckmen win you grand finals. Don't agree? Just ask Collingwood what Darren Jolly did for them. Still don't believe me? How about Brad Ottens to Geelong? Perhaps Shane Mumford to Sydney?

I think you get the picture.

Geelong have so many good, young talented kids, that they can afford to let their first pick go to North Melbourne - ruckmen are worth their weight in gold, especially good ones.

MITCH BROWN (WCE) -
He's told West Coast he wants to go back home, and who could blame him? He's not getting much of a look in at West Coast, but with Glass and Hurn somewhat in their "twilight" years, he's bound to come in for either sometime soon. A bit like Tom Gillies and Mitch Brown at Geelong, Mr Brown of West Coast just hasn't got the opportunity he's wanted, and that's enough for any many to want to have a change of landscape.

St Kilda have tabled a 3 year deal, and they are the best suiting club for him. Brown is a stopper, very good body on body, but he's not quick. Meaning, his closing speed isn't great. He's the "Gorilla" that play's on other "Gorilla's". Make sense?

Talk that he could be packaged up in a deal to send him to Collingwood to play with his twin brother Nathan has been rubbished. The pies don't want him, and to any offense, it's just that bringing in Brown would mean that their backline would become very one dimensional any slow.

Brown will get to the Saints, and that's a fact.

JOSH CADDY -
His manager said on Trade Radio that the compensation pick Geelong are dangling in front of the suns is very attractive to the suns, which should get the deal done.

Joel Selwood and Josh Caddy working in tandem? Yes thanks!

Given that the saints have gone with Tommy Lee, and will use their compo pick on another kid, the saints are all but out of the race for Caddy.

There was reports on trade radio that because the suns passed on Viney with their pick 2, allowing the Dees to take him with their second round pick, that Melbourne would send their pick 13 (soon to be 14 after the BJ Compensation) to the suns.

It's been made aware now that Caddy hasn't even spoken to the Demons, which makes me think it's a two horse race now between Geelong and North Melbourne.

North are offering their first round pick + Levi Greenwood.

SHARROD WELLINGHAM & CHRIS DAWES -
The pies are playing hardball, and either want to be very well compensated by West Coast, or they will push Wellingham to Melbourne with Dawes, and secure an early draft pick.

It's not a rumour anymore, it's now fact that Melbourne are willing to offer up one of their early picks for Dawes and Wellingham, and personally I think they should.

Melbourne need hardened bodies, successful players who can bring that "winning culture" to Melbourne. Both are 23 and 24 respectively, and are the prime age to help Melbourne ascend up the ladder. Their best football is a head of them, and they already have plenty of youth, it might be wise to trade off a pick to bring in some elder players.

Adelaide are very interested now in Chris Dawes, and the dogs are sniffing around ready to pounce.

But what I found interesting is that there is a very, very strong chance that both players could remain at Collingwood next season, wouldn't that be something?

BRENT MOLONEY -
Nothing, zero, zip. It's literally Brisbane Lions or bust now for Beamer, who is in very big danger of his career ending if the Lions don't offer him a lifeline. The lions haven't said a thing today, but one things for sure - Melbourne will not take Moloney back should he get no offers in the free agency period.

SCOTT GUMBLETON -
Nothing much really spoken of today in regards to Gumby. Wayne Hughes the recruiting manager at Carlton said that they didn't expect to be big players in the trade or free agency, and they said they won't trade away pick 11, not that that is why it would cost the blues to get Gumbleton.

Gumby is stil in the mix for the doggies, but he's a very loyal man. Alarmingly, he wants to play for the bombers, and with no disrespect to Essendon - who wants to continue to sign one year deals for the rest of their career?

The dogs are offering 2 years, and that could be telling.

CAMERON PEDERSON -
There was no news on Pedo today, again, he's another player who's future has taken the back seat while the bigger names are accounted for this trade period.

Deals surrounding Wellingham, Dawes, Tippett etc are holding up quite a few deals.

KURT TIPPETT -
Seriously, the crows and swans sat in lock down today discussing possibilities for the Tippett deal. Either the swans are throwing up shite options, or Adelaide are being incredibly difficult because there hasn't been any more advancements in the saga.

The Crows, if pushed, will start fielding the "highest bidder offers", and if Sydney don't get something done soon, Adelaide will palm Tippett off to a club willing to part ways with high picks or a player who can slot into their best 22.

PORT ADELAIDE:
I really, really want to touch on the power for a moment, just to ram home exactly what's happened. They've been the butt of jokes, the basket-case, the "Problem Child" of the AFL in recent years.

They've endured the loss of Matty Primus as Coach, the death of John McCarthy, they've lost two of their best 22 players in Chaplin and Pearce, they crowd numbers and membership numbers have fluctuated, not to mention the cruel injuries that have robbed Port fans of seeing their best players in action, and development of their young kids.

The Port Adelaide Football club is the most successful club in Australia. And things are about to change.

The appointment of Ken Hinkley of coach is just the starting point. Alan Richardson as his right hand man is another, but it's the return of Burgess as high performance coach in charge of the sports science department which will be the key to this once famous clubs climb up the ladder.

Hinkley's been apart of 9 Premierships, he is held in high regard by the football fraternity, and well done Port Adelaide for giving him a lengthly deal that says "We don't want someone here for a couple of years, only to go through the process again."

Regardless which team you follow, this is a very, very good day for the PAFC.

He's already taken ownership of the team, "my boys" is what he calls them. There is an oura about Hinkley that you just cannot help but succumb to. It is the reason why a few Port players may think twice about leaving.

You've either got to be part of where they are headed, and commit to the cause, or you shouldn't be part of it at all.

And, to the doubters, the "fickle supporters" as I like to name a certain few - do not doubt the impact that Monfries will have with Port Adelaide.

Some Essendon supporters will kick him and send him on his way with nothing but negative things to say.

Others will wish him well, knowing how much he brought to the Bombers over almost 100 games, and will admit that he just needs a fresh start.

Like any other player, Monfries is hungry to deliver, he's hungry for a chance, and he'll remember the opportunity that Port Adelaide have given him to come into his own, and he'll make sure that he repay's them.

Remember, John McCarthy was in this same position 12 months ago - God rest his soul. And he thrived on the opportunity, which ultimately fast tracked his development, which then delivered what he had been craving, a fresh chance.

And that's a wrap!!

#1 Ryder fan
saintlee
Club Player

"Lee is a hard leading, agile forward, who is strong both overhead and below his knees. He’s a dead-eye-dick in front of the sticks, and has a beautiful and sound technique that almost never fails him."

Loved this part!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:"Lee is a hard leading, agile forward, who is strong both overhead and below his knees. He’s a dead-eye-dick in front of the sticks, and has a beautiful and sound technique that almost never fails him."

Loved this part!
Well you would Tom :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We have 29 pages of rumours. How many said we would get Lee?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We have 29 pages of rumours. How many said we would get Lee?
And the winner is.....

Gringo

http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... c#p1250738

sainter#4
Club Player

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

This article has some quotes from baines.

He says were still in the mix for caddy, looks like brown should be a go'er hopefully.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
And the winner is.....

Gringo

nice get

#1 Ryder fan
noob
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:I reckon we will rookie Crocker
I reckon you might be right.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

sainter#4 wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

This article has some quotes from baines.

He says were still in the mix for caddy, looks like brown should be a go'er hopefully.
Maybe we don't rate this years draft and BJ compo is going too... or another big name is going to walk (I hope not!)

Strength through Loyalty
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:

Effectively in hindsight the Saints have secured Tom Lee, Pick 13 (compo pick for losing Goddard), Pick 24 and Pick 43 for Brendan Goddard;

Err no. There is no logic there at all.

For BJ we should gain pick 13.

For 12 we gained Lee, 24 +43.

They are not linked at all.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:

Effectively in hindsight the Saints have secured Tom Lee, Pick 13 (compo pick for losing Goddard), Pick 24 and Pick 43 for Brendan Goddard;

Err no. There is no logic there at all.

For BJ we should gain pick 13.

For 12 we gained Lee, 24 +43.

They are not linked at all.
Its certainly drawing a long bow. Its just an unsubstantiated rumour, but the could the following trade be done?

Farren, pick 24 & 43 for pick 13. Then 13 to GC for Caddy? It's unlikely, but it just means Ray for Lee are swapped. I think there is no way we should go pick 24 for just Hickey... thats way overs for a potentially good player

Strength through Loyalty
jays
Club Player

good work guys thanks

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
And the winner is.....

Gringo

Wow I look like i know what I'm on about for a day. Yeah- have to admit it's after I saw him in the foxtel finals and he looked a ripper. I go on old fashioned footy ability over beep tests and vertical jumps. You can't beat a guy who just knows how to use a footy and he looked like he should be in the AFL. A bit Jack Riewoldt a bit Buddy and a bit Fev with a sprinkling of Siposs was my impression. he will be exciting if nothing else- he's got that ability to put a smile on your face.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Jordan Gysberts supposedly on the trade table from Melbourne.....probably being used as a filler for either the Dawes deal or the Hogan Mini Draft deal, but could we get in first and use Farren Ray in a deal to get him????

21 year old midfielder, reasonable foot skills???

Sobraz
SS Life Member

St Chris wrote:Jordan Gysberts supposedly on the trade table from Melbourne.....probably being used as a filler for either the Dawes deal or the Hogan Mini Draft deal, but could we get in first and use Farren Ray in a deal to get him????

21 year old midfielder, reasonable foot skills???
As a swap, certainly. I'd also consider ray + 3rd rounder. I think he's quite a talent.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Gysberts is a good age for us and should be a good get if not too expensive. A swap for farren would be a pretty good trade for both.