GWS and GC..........

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

GWS and GC..........

Many get excited in here about us pickking up a couple of youngsters..............

a close check of GWS and GC......WOW

2014 onwards...........

saint4life
howlinwolf
Club Player

Re: GWS and GC..........

It's simply NOT a level playing field.
The AFL have a vested interest in Sydney's success and now the two new clubs GC and GWS. Therefore they will receive more help than other traditional clubs that won't give the same financial return for the AFL.
We may as well get used to it. It is going to become more and more difficult for us to win a Flag.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
chook23
Saintsational Legend

GWS

GREATER Western Sydney will enter its second AFL season with 25 first-round draft picks on its list.
GWS completed its draft coup yesterday, swapping 17-year-old West Australian key forward Jesse Hogan for picks 3 and 13 from Melbourne. It gives them selections 1, 2, 3, 12 and 13 at next month's national draft.

Last year the expansion club had 11 of the first 14 choices. The growing bonanza has increased fears the league's 18th team will be fast-tracked to superpower status.

saint4life
chook23
Saintsational Legend

GC

O'Meara this year added

Martin.....next year

saint4life
karnak
Club Player

I'm hoping much of their talent is shared around, you'd hope that plenty come from Vic or other states and want to move home. Which we seem to be seeing more of this trade season (FA not included)

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
saintlee
Club Player

Yeah I understand the fears of GC and GWS dominating the comp in a few years, but I think many will move on to other clubs for more money, more opportunities etc. I actually think the other clubs will feed off the expansion clubs like vultures for a few years

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I feel total footy-dispair when I think about how many gun players these 2 bastard-child sides are stockpiling.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

saintlee wrote:Yeah I understand the fears of GC and GWS dominating the comp in a few years, but I think many will move on to other clubs for more money, more opportunities etc. I actually think the other clubs will feed off the expansion clubs like vultures for a few years

I think this is a major part of Pelchen's strategy to rebuild our list. Fill the gaps that we have now with younger talent (between 20 & 25), then hit GWS/GC hard over the next 2-3 years & load up on those kids that will be 20-21 then. It's smart list building IMO & will negate the need to go further down the ladder to get early picks. It may mean that blokes 26+ start to get moved on but that's just a fact of footy life.

There will undoubtedly be a number of their first round picks keen to head home & we will have the means to attract them with a more evenly distributed salary cap.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

saintlee wrote:Yeah I understand the fears of GC and GWS dominating the comp in a few years, but I think many will move on to other clubs for more money, more opportunities etc. I actually think the other clubs will feed off the expansion clubs like vultures for a few years
They will be compenstated with new young guns (draft picks) for those that may move on

or repolaced with by targeted players....

they have a lot to dictate movements with.

saint4life
saintlee
Club Player

chook23 wrote:
They will be compenstated with new young guns (draft picks) for those that may move on

or repolaced with by targeted players....

they have a lot to dictate movements with.
Yes, but players value generally decreases over time unless they are guns. Most of the young GC and GWS players that leave won't necessarily be another first round pick.

Will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next 3-4 years...

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

it is ridiculous. They are getting 1st round picks for players they pre-listed....talk about money for old rope!.....What I didn't realise is GWS have and extra $800,000 plus the extra 1 million for living in Sydney allowance in the cap...thats an extra 1.8 Mill.....plus all the 1st rounders.........so we can't evern expect to be able to pry away some of their best players because they'll still have more room in the cap.

So we may as well trade away our picks now, because we're no chance it 2-3 years time...got to say, very deflating, cos it feels like we (and most other Vic teams) will be stuffed for a decade.

GWS will be, hands down, the most hated team in the league.

Nee!
Rosco
Club Player

Part of the reason for their increased cap is that they have more players on the list to pay. That is going to be trimmed when they trim their list (obviously not back to Vic clubs cap though).

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

GWS have apparently expressed interest in Jackson Ferguson, as he is from the GWS area. But I cant see what GWS left to give us for him. After pick 12 their next pick is thier 4th round pick, 62. We already have their 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:GWS have apparently expressed interest in Jackson Ferguson, as he is from the GWS area. But I cant see what GWS left to give us for him. After pick 12 their next pick is thier 4th round pick, 62. We already have their 2nd and 3rd round picks.
1. Jackson is from the GWS area, and

2. Apparently GWS are interested.

However in regards to Point 2, has this been stated anywhere other than on the pages of SS?

It has indeed been mentioned on SS, but that appears to be based largely/solely on people noting Point 1 and drawing a bow (of indeterminable length).

So what I'm trying to say, in a roundabout sort of way, is it could be a load of crap. :!:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

It probably is a load of crap Dr Spaceman, but then again is'nt most of the trade talk crap?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:It probably is a load of crap Dr Spaceman, but then again is'nt most of the trade talk crap?
It certainly is bb. Just trying to work out whether there's any truth whatsoever in it or whether we start to believe it because we've read it a few times (forgetting that those few times have been on this forum and are probably based on nothing more than the kid's place of origin).

Ledger's the same. A kid from WA. Not getting a game. And Ross once said something nice about him. Add that all together and you get:

* Freo madly want Tom Ledger

* Tom Ledger madly wants Freo.

:?

beartalbot
Club Player

I also used to love the trade period, the excitement of new blood into the club always allowed new hope for the season ahead. However, now with free trade, we find that the only clubs so far who have benefited are those so called power clubs or the two new clubs. This includes Essendon(Goddard), Sydney(probably Tippett), Geelong(Caddy), Collingwood(Lynch and whoever else they choose) and GWS picking up early draft picks at their leisure.
As ideally, the AFL would love a smaller number of clubs in the National competition, I can't help thinking that this is a system set up to provide them with fewer clubs through natural attrition.
What hope did we have in picking up Caddy/Brown/Hickey etc early in the draft, when we have to wait until October 19 before finding out what pick we will receive for the loss of Goddard.
I can only keep faith in the ability of Pelchen and co. to have plans in place for the last week of the draft period when we have a better idea of what picks we can play with.
Still, I will keep faith...Go Saints.

BEAR
citywest

After the Saints lost the 2009 and 2010 GF's I was devastated because I knew that our window of opportunity (which opened in 2003) had finally closed without a flag. I still had hope though that we could rebuild and be a serious threat again within 5 years.

Unfortunately, thanks to Demetriou, I honestly can't see us being a serious threat within the next 10 years. The 2 new teams will become superpowers of the kind the AFL has never seen before. The fact that GWS has 25 first round players is scary enough, but when you realize that they are all basically under 21, then you start to realize what the sneaky bastardos at the AFL have allowed to happen. By the way, Gold Coast are not that far behind GWS either, and when you factor in that they have one year jump on GWS then I reckon both teams are in exactly the same position.

By the end of 2014, all their guns will have over 50 games under their belt. I expect both GWS and GCS to be top 4 by 2015 and will stay at the top for over a decade. I wouldn't be surprised if both GWS and GCS both win 3 flags each while the Saints are still battling away trying to win our second flag.

It's not fair and it will never be fair thanks to the money hungry bastardos at the AFL. The only thing they are interested in is growing the game in the Northern states and then pocketing huge bonuses for themselves.

IMHO, the best thing St Kilda can do in the next decade is go full steam ahead with NZ. Play as many games as possible there (maybe 4 per year). Make huge profits and try and sign up at least 10,000 members in NZ. Build up a huge nest egg and then hopefully when GWS and GCS start to slide (whenever that might be),we then have the money and the resources to pounce!!!!!!

End of rant.