Replacement for Lenny Sam Colquhoun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

andrewg
Club Player

Replacement for Lenny Sam Colquhoun

This is why we need to keep our Goddard compensation,

Sam Colquhoun

Looks like he plays similar to Lenny or Dangerfield would be great at 13! There are some great kids out there that can make an impact straight away for us.

Nice article here

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/ ... fault.aspx

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Replacement for Lenny Sam Colquhoun

I've been talking this guy up- he is a beauty. He's just a machine who keeps winning the ball. A bit of an Andrew Swallow, looks similar and amasses heaps of possies and looks effortless. He is expected to go way late for his quality and had a magic carnival off the back line.

bennymac5
Club Player

He isn't a replacement for Lenny. Sam is more of a back flanker who can ush into the midfield. He's an outside as well not an insider.

noddy04
Club Player

NO ONE can replace Lenny Hayes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bennymac5 wrote:He isn't a replacement for Lenny. Sam is more of a back flanker who can ush into the midfield. He's an outside as well not an insider.

not sure about that he's been played loose but not just an outsider. Maybe a bit of a NDS can win his own ball but it wastes some of his skills getting smashed in a pack.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

He looks like a beauty. Highly skilled and wins a lot of the footy, however he's nothing like Hayes, he's an outside mid similar to Lindsay Gilbee.

andrewg
Club Player

noddy04 wrote:NO ONE can replace Lenny Hayes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unfortunately and much to my dismay someone has to replace him............

SinCitySainter
Club Player

That is to be Armo and Ross, isn't it?

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

When Lenny arrived so many seasons ago I always noticed him being like the young pup learning to muster cattle / herd sheep under the tutalage of a master, ie, the erstwhile Sir Robert Harvey. Back then, I thought Banger's retirement wasn't too far into the future - who would have thought he would have gone out still at the top of his game at age 38?

The point is, we already probably have a replacement for Lenny. Did we really miss Banger's presence when he retired? Er, not if you count making Grand Finals in the following 2 seasons.

Will we miss Lenny? Sure, like Banger we will all miss watching him play. But don't fall into the trap of thinking the world ends when Lenny pulls down the curtain on a great career. And don't expect his replacement to be Seb Ross or someone plucked from this year's draft. I reckon his replacement is already in the team just waiting to blossom in Lenny's role when the time come. Armo springs to mind; like Lenny his disposal isn't the greatest but his courage, toughness and workrate are unquestionable.

Last year was his breakout year when some of his quaretrs were, in my mind, some of the best individual quarters I have witnessed played by a Saint. One of his 2nd quarters, I believe, rates with Cowboy Neale's 6-goal third quarter against the Bummers at Moorabbin in 1968. If you were there back then, and don't have dementia, you'll know where I am coming from!

Saint supporter since '62
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Half Back Flanker - 179cm & 72 kilograms

Colquhuon sounds to much like Houlihan for my liking

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I think there will be better players @ 13, but if we have 24 or similar still for sure.

@ 13, if we have it, hopefully Stringer, Wines, Menzel or Plowman are available still. Stringer, with his 'Luke Hodge comparison' seems highly unlikely... but we can dream!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:I think there will be better players @ 13, but if we have 24 or similar still for sure.

@ 13, if we have it, hopefully Stringer, Wines, Menzel or Plowman are available still. Stringer, with his 'Luke Hodge comparison' seems highly unlikely... but we can dream!

Obviously depends on whats left and whats available to suit our needs but he would probably drift out to 24. As you said with that list there are plenty of good players that will probably fall to 13. Colquhoun will play good footy though. Stringer is a Crameri sized guy though a forward that isn't quite KP sized but has the hard mongrel thing that Hodge has. Mayes, Vlastuin, Mason Shaw, Membrey, jaksche and Mc rae could all be available around 13 too. Nice problem deciding between those guys.