Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hickey

Gawd. You would think Hickey is the only ruckman available. There are a number of younger, bigger ruckmen in the draft. And we would not need to use 25 on them either.

kos
Club Player

Age and height are not a factor, ABILITY sets them apart. This guy is being touted as the next dean cox, the same guy who we didn't try hard enough to get this time 10 years ago. It's simple learn from your mistakes, get him!!!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

His value is in the fact that the new ruck rules will screw the Jolly types that really just push players over before the ball comes down. They can't touch until the ball is in the air so athletic rucks will become more highly valued. Pick 13 is just ridiculous and the GC are becoming more like the old Essendon where they offer nothing and expect everything in return. They aren't content with getting stuffed full of freebies and gutting the comp for a few years, now they want to fleece everyone by getting overs for the kids that want out. The AFL vetoed the setting a figure and riding out the draft, lets front end him ridiculously and Ball them. We should set ourselves on a poaching program over the next few years. He is worth about a late second round pick. If he is worth 13 Cripps is worth pick 1- he is still only potential not established.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Cats got Hamish for a steal...as long as his body is ok. At 28, if his injuries are ok he could be set for his best 2 years.

Will become their No 1 ruck. New ruck rule may work against him though.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

With Hickey the stumbling block would appear to be that he is not worth pick 13 or 25, and yet the Suns would not use late trade picks. Which presents the Catch 22 of what can we trade that they want, that we are happy to give up? Might require a 3 club deal.

Even pick 25 might be a pick that the suns would not use.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote:With Hickey the stumbling block would appear to be that he is not worth pick 13 or 25, and yet the Suns would not use late trade picks. Which presents the Catch 22 of what can we trade that they want, that we are happy to give up? Might require a 3 club deal.

Even pick 25 might be a pick that the suns would not use.
I dont think Hine is contracted. Anyone know anything about him and could he be a sweetener?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Toy is the interesting one. He has a heart defect and will be limited by the aerobic capacity that comes with it. He was an elite junior and has always had it so you would think he can play through it but is he worth the risk? High risks can have high gains and he looks like a guy who would have been elite at AFL level. could he play in a pocket where he wouldn't have to do too much but use his skills to advantage? Elite kicking skills, good mark played the quarterback role at Vic Metro he's almost worth it just because of the potential that is there, if he came free with Hickey as a package he could almost be worth a free first round selection but comes with the issues.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

The trouble with getting these "steak knives" players is that it creates even more problems with our list numbers. Especially if it's two players in and none out (just a draft pick)

No doubt Pelchin and co have a pretty good idea of which listed players will no longer be listed by the final cut off date but it's sure confusing for us supporters. Most of us would have been looking at one or two rookie upgrades plus the mandatory draft picks. So if we get say:

Hickey & Toy for pick X,
Brown & someone for Cripps & pick Y,
Player Z for Ray

that would be 5 players in for 2 players out.

That would sure make things mighty squeezy.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Pelchen and Bains look very deliberate with their approach in trading for players. I doubt a steak knives type player would appeal to them. It's quite obvious that we are after a key defender, backup or developing ruckman and an A grade or potential A grade type player if the opportunity is there - See Josh Caddy. I could not see us being interested in Josh Toy.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Pelchen and Bains look very deliberate with their approach in trading for players. I doubt a steak knives type player would appeal to them. It's quite obvious that we are after a key defender, backup or developing ruckman and an A grade or potential A grade type player if the opportunity is there - See Josh Caddy. I could not see us being interested in Josh Toy.

Josh Toy has huge potential but the risk is that he could be very restricted in out put so could never play that running midfield role that would have been assumed his long term assignment. He could play that Gram role though with long clean kicking and good over head marking. Ironically he seems to have a big heart and goes pretty hard at the contest probably at he same level as Caddy but comes with the issues. He might just be a steal for a brave recruiter.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: Josh Toy has huge potential but the risk is that he could be very restricted in out put so could never play that running midfield role that would have been assumed his long term assignment. He could play that Gram role though with long clean kicking and good over head marking. Ironically he seems to have a big heart and goes pretty hard at the contest probably at he same level as Caddy but comes with the issues. He might just be a steal for a brave recruiter.
Perhaps he does pay of for whoever takes the risk. As a junior he was a big kid and I'm not sure without that advantage in senior footy that he will make it. I'm not overly concerned with his heart issue, I'm sure the club would be diligent in their health checks, I'm just not sold that he is good enough to make the grade. He looked extremely poor in the few games I saw him play for Gold Coast. He looked almost disinterested and struggled to make any impact on any contests.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

ST KILDA;
Their focus will be on securing big man Tom Hickey from the suns, who has shown a lot of promise in the minimal games he's played. He's a very athletic and agile big man, who'll be a premier ruckmen of the future, which is why the suns are reluctant to just take "anything" for him.

He will get to the saints, and at this stage it'll be for the Saints' second round selection.

Jamie Cripps has also moved back to WA according to 1116 SEN, meaning that he won't be at the saints next year. The saints will try secure a trade for the youngster, but will be disappointed that Koby Stevens didn't select the saints as his club preference.

https://www.facebook.com/theafloffseason

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintjake
Club Player

Would much rather Martin from Melbourne, would come a hell of a lot cheaper. Can fill a variety of rolls. I don't see why we would spend so much on someone to be a second ruck option behind mac

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

saintjake wrote:Would much rather Martin from Melbourne, would come a hell of a lot cheaper. Can fill a variety of rolls. I don't see why we would spend so much on someone to be a second ruck option behind mac

Good point. Given that Ray wants to go to Melbourne I'd like to think we could get Martin as part of the deal. Not that I think he's the best thing since sliced bread but we could do with a ruckman more than we need another half back/mid. May come down to whether or not we get Hickey.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

remboy wrote:
saintjake wrote:Would much rather Martin from Melbourne, would come a hell of a lot cheaper. Can fill a variety of rolls. I don't see why we would spend so much on someone to be a second ruck option behind mac

Good point. Given that Ray wants to go to Melbourne I'd like to think we could get Martin as part of the deal. Not that I think he's the best thing since sliced bread but we could do with a ruckman more than we need another half back/mid. May come down to whether or not we get Hickey.
Because we arent recruiting to fill a hole as such. We arent on the cusp of a flag so we are recruiting for what we need to develop into a 10 year ruckman. Another thing, is Niknat just a backup ruckman? We are trying to get Hickey so we can form what would be a very formidable partnership with the leaping Hickey and the strong athletic McEvoy. Together with Stanley and his height and pace jeez those three would be hard to find opponents for!

Strength through Loyalty
Saintly spirit
Club Player

St Ick wrote:
remboy wrote:

Because we arent recruiting to fill a hole as such. We arent on the cusp of a flag so we are recruiting for what we need to develop into a 10 year ruckman. Another thing, is Niknat just a backup ruckman? We are trying to get Hickey so we can form what would be a very formidable partnership with the leaping Hickey and the strong athletic McEvoy. Together with Stanley and his height and pace jeez those three would be hard to find opponents for!
What I'm talkin bout

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Hickey deal will be announced..........

Next year....

“Yeah….nah””
Chubby chequer
Club Player

Teflon wrote:Hickey deal will be announced..........

Next year....
Or 2014 :wink:

suss
Club Player

Neither Hickey nor Toy were at Gold Coast training today according to Scott Gullen on Herad Sun trade chat. Apparently they have the week off.

Chubby chequer
Club Player

suss wrote:Neither Hickey nor Toy were at Gold Coast training today according to Scott Gullen on Herad Sun trade chat. Apparently they have the week off.
Apparently they are on holidays :wink:

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

This is now beyond my understanding. The new ruck rules are going to suit Stanley, and I will not be surprised if he goes past McEvoy as a ruckman. We need a 3rd and maybe a 4th ruckmen (to develop) on the list, in case either McEvoy or Stanley is unavailable as happened this season. Any new ruckmen we pick up will not be expected to play in many games in a season.
So why the hell are we looking at a ruckman who is requiring a high draft pick to pick up?

Chubby chequer
Club Player

:)
borderbarry wrote:This is now beyond my understanding. The new ruck rules are going to suit Stanley, and I will not be surprised if he goes past McEvoy as a ruckman. We need a 3rd and maybe a 4th ruckmen (to develop) on the list, in case either McEvoy or Stanley is unavailable as happened this season. Any new ruckmen we pick up will not be expected to play in many games in a season.
So why the hell are we looking at a ruckman who is requiring a high draft pick to pick up?
:)

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote:This is now beyond my understanding. The new ruck rules are going to suit Stanley, and I will not be surprised if he goes past McEvoy as a ruckman. We need a 3rd and maybe a 4th ruckmen (to develop) on the list, in case either McEvoy or Stanley is unavailable as happened this season. Any new ruckmen we pick up will not be expected to play in many games in a season.
Can only assume they do not see Stanley in the ruck going forward. While he has talent, I'm yet to be convinced we'll ever see him reach massive heights. Especially if he keeps getting injured and doing hammies from doing too much as our backup ruck!

Strength through Loyalty
Chubby chequer
Club Player

St Ick wrote:
Can only assume they do not see Stanley in the ruck going forward. While he has talent, I'm yet to be convinced we'll ever see him reach massive heights. Especially if he keeps getting injured and doing hammies from doing too much as our backup ruck!
+1