No Deal!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

No Deal!

ST Kilda is being squeezed from both sides on deals for West Coast defender Mitch Brown and Gold Coast ruckman Tom Hickey.

This year's protracted trade period will conclude at 2pm on Friday and St Kilda still has much of its key business to conclude.

West Coast is refusing to budge on St Kilda's request to include defender Brown, 23, in a trade for homesick Saints midfielder Jamie Cripps, 20.

Eagles list manager Craig Vozzo has told St Kilda to come up with an alternate deal for Cripps, but the Saints are still hopeful.

Brown wants to leave the Eagles but is contracted, so St Kilda cannot hope to lure him back to Melbourne other than via a trade.

West Coast cannot promise Brown more opportunities next year because of its wealth of talls, so St Kilda officials believe he might walk for nothing at the end of 2013 if the Eagles do not relent.

St Kilda leads the charge for Gold Coast ruckman Hickey, 21, but has been told the price is a first-round draft selection.

Hickey has played 12 games for the Suns who believe the exceptional endurance athlete is the modern-day prototype for ruckmen, with capped interchange set to be introduced in 2014.

St Kilda has picks 13, 25, 37, 46 and 57, but while Gold Coast wants pick 13, the Saints believe 25 might get them their man.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/st-kil ... 6500267529

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Re: No Deal!

The whole deal is loaded in WCE's favour..we're desperate to get Brown but they arent fussed on Cripps. Browns under contract, Cripps isnt.

WIll be annoyed, nay pyssed off if we let Cripps walk..we dont have the depth to let promising kids with two years development just go for nothing. At least we got something for Walsh.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:The whole deal is loaded in WCE's favour..we're desperate to get Brown but they arent fussed on Cripps. Browns under contract, Cripps isnt.

WIll be annoyed, nay pyssed off if we let Cripps walk..we dont have the depth to let promising kids with two years development just go for nothing. At least we got something for Walsh.
Correct - the only way I can see to shift power in negotiations at all is to deal in someone else - so 3rd party arrangement OR speak to Cripps about prospective Freo trade...... need to give Eagles something to think about

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I just don't want us to cave in on Brown.

If we're really in the rebuilding phase that most believe we are then I don't believe it's imperative to get him. Not for a first round pick etc. If that's what it comes to then tell em to get nicked and find a stop gap somewhere while we develop our own kid from the draft.

The only thing worse than being non active in this trade period is to be active and be screwed over.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:I just don't want us to cave in on Brown.

If we're really in the rebuilding phase that most believe we are then I don't believe it's imperative to get him. Not for a first round pick etc. If that's what it comes to then tell em to get nicked and find a stop gap somewhere while we develop our own kid from the draft.

The only thing worse than being non active in this trade period is to be active and be screwed over.
Agree

I'd rather walk from the deal than hand 13 over for either Brown or Hickey - screw that

“Yeah….nah””
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

This article has more detail than the other rehash of known

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/eag ... 27zhn.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:This article has more detail than the other rehash of known

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/eag ... 27zhn.html
Nothing new it's the same as the above link

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dont panic.

Still a week to go.

However the WCE are being knobs about this.

If they wanted to cut Brown, they would do it in a heartbeat regardless of if he had a contract or not.

Yes he has a contrac5t but we have seen the worth of a contract in the AFL.

They are denying a player the change for regular AFL games, as well as going home, AND a substantial increase in pay.

It is a long road you WCE f##kers, the clubs look on and see who is a c#nt to deal with. Will bite you on the arse in the end.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

i reckon josh toy is worth a punt

#1 Ryder fan
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:WIll be annoyed, nay pyssed off if we let Cripps walk..we dont have the depth to let promising kids with two years development just go for nothing.
Do we have a choice? No-one actually wants him, so his effective value is zero. If you were West Coast, why would you bother to pay anything for a kid who's going to end up with you anyway?

It sucks for St Kilda but that's the way it is, unfortunately. If we get anything for him I'll be impressed.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Cripps is no good and Wet Toast know it. Just another bust at the draft table from our recruiters.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

You know what I'd do... encourage Brown to quit and walk, then tell Cripps that if he walks, we'll redraft him and make him sit out the year

turn the heat up on these buggers, force them to do a deal

BadRossco
Club Player

Little Dozer is right Cripps is no good, but neither is Mitch Brown so a swap would be a fair deal and delist both in 2014

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We will end up with Brown at the end of next season anyway, at least that is the way it looks.
Cripps will end up at Freo if eagles won't talk turkey.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:We will end up with Brown at the end of next season anyway, at least that is the way it looks.
A lot can change in 12 months.

I'd say the only certainty would be that Mitch Brown will be back in Victoria in 2014 playing for a Victorian club.

savatage
SS Life Member

Dr Spaceman wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:We will end up with Brown at the end of next season anyway, at least that is the way it looks.
A lot can change in 12 months.

I'd say the only certainty would be that Mitch Brown will be back in Victoria in 2014 playing for a Victorian club.
Ditto! Who knows, we may find our next hero FB in the meantime!

Look at Hawthorn with Tom Gillies, hot property last year, Geelong wouldn't trade, now no interest in him.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

If GC want a first round pick do we ask for both Toy and Hickey then? I've heard Toy's heart problem has been over hyped a fair bit.

savatage
SS Life Member

Just don't do the deal. He's uncontracted. Play the same hardball WCE is playing with us over Cripps.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:You know what I'd do... encourage Brown to quit and walk, then tell Cripps that if he walks, we'll redraft him and make him sit out the year

Yep he will walk and give up a year of footy and probably 150k. Yep makes sense. Brown signed a contract. WCE are doing nothing wrong. We want a contracted player. maybe we should chance uncontracted players.

Chubby chequer
Club Player

savatage wrote:Just don't do the deal. He's uncontracted. Play the same hardball WCE is playing with us over Cripps.
+1

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:You know what I'd do... encourage Brown to quit and walk, then tell Cripps that if he walks, we'll redraft him and make him sit out the year

Yep he will walk and give up a year of footy and probably 150k. Yep makes sense. Brown signed a contract. WCE are doing nothing wrong. We want a contracted player. maybe we should chance uncontracted players.
well if he doesn't walk and WCE don't trade, work on making sure we keep Cripps or WCE don't get him

i'm tired of players leaving and getting to their desired clubs for free.

doesn't happen to other clubs

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

well if he doesn't walk and WCE don't trade, work on making sure we keep Cripps or WCE don't get him

i'm tired of players leaving and getting to their desired clubs for free.

doesn't happen to other clubs

Nick Stevens.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Nick Stevens.

Wanted to go to Collingwood

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Nick Stevens.

Wanted to go to Collingwood

Correct weight.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: i'm tired of players leaving and getting to their desired clubs for free.
It's difficult to stop it if the player is uncontracted and the parties have a mutual agreement.

In fact, under the laws of the land, an uncontracted player is effectively a free agent.

Same as if you wanted to go and work for another company that offered you more money. No one can stop you going.