Rumour is Jason Gram has been sacked

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Austinnn
Club Player

Re: Rumour is Jason Gram has been sacked

desertsaint wrote:Never been a fan. Simply too soft at the ball and the man too many times.
So no loss on the field to me.
But gee. Just hope the club is doing the right thing here.
Hope gram gets out of this hole, which just got a heck deeper.

That's pretty much it for me. I can take or leave his presence in our team, and he doesn't seem like the smartest guy at the club, but...

BUT he is a human and one of us (a Saints player and previous to that a Saints supporter just like us don't forget) and if a club can't support its members then what makes it a club? His life is unravelling, he needs support, and he should be able to count on us.

I know nothing of what he's supposed to have done. I can't comment on it, but it would have to be pretty bad for him to be sacked IMMEDIATELY. Surely after the Lovett scandal, (of which Gram was ironically a major part - penny for Andrew Lovett's thoughts), the Saints are weary of sailing close to the wind in regards to a pre-emptive sacking. I suppose they've covered themselves legally, but it smells bad, and Caroline Wilson is going to be all over it, as she should be. That's her job. I hope our club administrators are doing their jobs.

I have to agree with Joffaboy, I think it's very rough to tip Gram out when he's going through hell, but what I HOPE is that the club is still supporting him and hasn't bailed on him totally. I am hoping that what's happened is that they've said "You need to work through your issues and you can't do that and focus on footy at the same time, so we are technically sacking you for the team because we don't you under any illusions that you can avoid the hard yards and just keep ignoring our orders, but we'll help you get through your troubles."

Because otherwise, if it's just a "See ya mate, no room for crims here" kick in the face, it's a terrible look and sends an awful message, totally contradictory to LOYALTY UNITES. This will show the club motto up as hollow and meaningless, the club as weak and self-centred and us supporters as a bunch of pricks who any player new or old wouldn't want to win an coin toss for, let alone a premiership. It's one thing to be ruthless, and we are not a nursery but let's remember that we are a club, and that has to mean something, otherwise what is the point of anything?

Keeping weak and fallen players in our ranks doesn't have to make us weaker; if the players, the staff, the coaches and the fans all take him in and give him 100% support, it should actually make us stronger, right? FORTIUS QUO FIDELIUS? Did the meaning get lost in translation after the last batch of dodgy scarves get printed? Don't just "hope that he sorts it out", work through it with him. After all he was sacked for betraying our values, supposedly. But what are those values? Seems like at the moment we don't have any except toe the line. That isn't a club, that's a regiment. If you were coming out of contract, or considering joining the club, wouldn't you consider values?

So please, Saints, take Jason in and assist him, help him regain his pride and self-worth, be there for him when he crashes again and again. Not because we're soft, but because you would to your brother or sister, and Jason Gram the Saint is our brother.

LOYALTY UNITES

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
supersaints
Club Player

Some of you guys must be smokin some serious stuff
AFL players get a huge amount of support they have well being experts, club doctors , phycologists , councillers etc etc.
Fact is that AFL players work on a contract based performance system that i would suggest includes off field socially acceptable standards, club rules as well as on field performance
Every year there probably over 100 players terminated (contract not renewed is just a nice way of saying you're sacked ( I worked with and under such a system, that's the way performance based employment is.
The average Joe Blow in contract employment would get nothing more than an exit interview. I don't believe for a moment that the club actually enjoys sacking a player.
If anyone (including Jason) thinks his contract would have been renewed is in denial. This has been an ongoing problem for a long time
If we were ruthless, we would have traded Grammy during the recent draft and offered to pay some of his contract
We could have even been a wonderful club like Essenden and stitched another club up like they did to us over Lovett.
Loyalty is not about keeping players on a list to the detriment of the club and other players as a whole. It's a two way street but there has to be standards set and adhered to.
Maybe some of you think we should go out and recruit Lovett again, just to be Loyal.
Has for Help Jason obviously has a drinking / texting/ drinking problem
Let's be adult about this Jasons girlfriend has moved on Jason needs to move on or it wil cost him
More than his job.
Btw I actually didn't mind him as a player , bit lazy at times but was great to watch when on song.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
sainters4eva
Club Player

Good post

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:I have to agree with Joffaboy, I think it's very rough to tip Gram out when he's going through hell, but what I HOPE is that the club is still supporting him and hasn't bailed on him totally. I am hoping that what's happened is that they've said "You need to work through your issues and you can't do that and focus on footy at the same time, so we are technically sacking you for the team because we don't you under any illusions that you can avoid the hard yards and just keep ignoring our orders, but we'll help you get through your troubles."

Because otherwise, if it's just a "See ya mate, no room for crims here" kick in the face, it's a terrible look and sends an awful message, totally contradictory to LOYALTY UNITES. This will show the club motto up as hollow and meaningless, the club as weak and self-centred and us supporters as a bunch of pricks who any player new or old wouldn't want to win an coin toss for, let alone a premiership. It's one thing to be ruthless, and we are not a nursery but let's remember that we are a club, and that has to mean something, otherwise what is the point of anything?
Indulging and tolerating someone's poor behaviour is rarely a compassionate thing to do. Most people who know they've got a problem still don't respond adequately until they get a kick up the arse. If that's the case with Gram then staying "loyal" to him and pandering to his bulls*** further would actually have been the worst thing we could have done for him psychologically.

That said, I do hope they keep supporting him through this period, which will be really tough for him as his whole sense of self is seriously challenged. He'll have an extra $300k in payout to help him through it, so let's hope he makes use of that time to come to terms with his situation and rebuild himself.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Again without knowing ALL that has gone on I don't think anyone can comment. I can only assume (and would like to assume) that the club has been supporting him all the way through this and will continue to do so. That there was a sensible and reasoned conversation about him not reoffending and the consequences of doing same.

Tough call. Doesn't excuse the crime (if committed), but there may be an element of, "jason you need to get your life sorted". Club needs to be seen to be upkeeping the values it puts in place re behaviour and also that values it's has in looking after one of its own.

I just hope they got the balance right.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Seems we are ok sacking Gram because he is soft or not good enough now so lets get rid of him. If he was a star then we can forgive but he isnt so piss off as far as many on here are concerned.

I have no idea if the club have done the right or wrong thing regarding Gram in this situation but i do know his sacking isnt ok because he is soft at the ball.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

It's a sad way for his time at St Kilda to end. If not for a flukey toe poke, Gram would be a St Kilda legend and North Smith Medallist. Instead he'll go down as a troubled, lazy player who got sacked for stalking.

It's not a concern at all, footy-wise. He has barely contributed since 2009, and his termination could mean Dunell gets elevated and the likes of Newnes and Ross get more opportunities.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Seems we are ok sacking Gram because he is soft or not good enough now so lets get rid of him. If he was a star then we can forgive but he isnt so piss off as far as many on here are concerned.

I have no idea if the club have done the right or wrong thing regarding Gram in this situation but i do know his sacking isnt ok because he is soft at the ball.
Cue post
"Oh surely the club know more than us on here...."

Thanks Nostradamus...

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:Some of you guys must be smokin some serious stuff
AFL players get a huge amount of support they have well being experts, club doctors , phycologists , councillers etc etc.
Fact is that AFL players work on a contract based performance system that i would suggest includes off field socially acceptable standards, club rules as well as on field performance
Every year there probably over 100 players terminated (contract not renewed is just a nice way of saying you're sacked ( I worked with and under such a system, that's the way performance based employment is.
The average Joe Blow in contract employment would get nothing more than an exit interview. I don't believe for a moment that the club actually enjoys sacking a player.
If anyone (including Jason) thinks his contract would have been renewed is in denial. This has been an ongoing problem for a long time
If we were ruthless, we would have traded Grammy during the recent draft and offered to pay some of his contract
We could have even been a wonderful club like Essenden and stitched another club up like they did to us over Lovett.
Loyalty is not about keeping players on a list to the detriment of the club and other players as a whole. It's a two way street but there has to be standards set and adhered to.
Maybe some of you think we should go out and recruit Lovett again, just to be Loyal.
Let's be adult about this Jasons girlfriend has moved on Jason needs to move on or it wil cost him
More than his job.
Btw I actually didn't mind him as a player , bit lazy at times but was great to watch when on song.
Miss the mark entirely.

I think everyone here easily separates the financial Employee/Employer contract relationship but it doesn't end there - the guys a person FFS!

As I mentioned, I wasn't an on field fan but hope he has help to move on. Who really knows how low someone needs to feel before they decide things are too tough - been done many times before.

I don't care if he's an AFL player or James Packer - its about respect for the person and surely we can afford that? (except if you forfeit that and deliberately take lives.... I have a different solution for them...)

“Yeah….nah””
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I am still surprised by how bad Saints fans are. People claim we are the worst fans but unless you get on SS you dont realise just how bad. Good luck to Gram in his future and hope he sorts his s*** out. He played some great footy for us and I'm disappointed at how it all played out.

Saints43
Club Player

There's only so much time one employee out of 40 or so can take up if an organisation wants to be successful. The club say that he has been receiving ongoing support. Well, that is support that is not available to others.

While I appreciate the extraordinary circumstances of a 29 year old breaking up with his girlfriend if he requires intensive counselling it's best - for Gram & St Kilda - that it's outsourced so that it can be a priority and doesn't have a detrimental effect on the development and engagement of others.

felix
Club Player

Would hate to have some people on here in a jury . If you break an order from the legal system to not go within 50 meters or so of said person it's an automatic lock up no questions asked. To many people here assume he has done something terrible, just have to wait and see before you send him off to the gallows.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

He's made far more money in the past 4 years than many players far more superior and deserving than himself. Take the rest of your extremely generous contract money and leave the game quietly, Jason. Thanks for your service.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:Would hate to have some people on here in a jury . If you break an order from the legal system to not go within 50 meters or so of said person it's an automatic lock up no questions asked. To many people here assume he has done something terrible, just have to wait and see before you send him off to the gallows.
I actually haven't read anyone assuming he has done something terrible, he was on indefinite suspension from the club for breaking a restraint order and given a last warning by the club… he then continued to violate the restraint order.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

It's about time some players are held accountable for their actions. It's about time they learnt that playing AFL football is a privilege and they started respecting the laws of society and the consequences of their transgressions. Why must they hide behind the shield that their club provides. Why can't some of these players grow up and act like decent human beings? I'm sick and tied of having a few players sink the club into turmoil again. I applaud the Saints for taking a stand and it's about time they started weeding troublemakers out. These guys don't need to keep playing football to receive counselling. If Gram is serious about his life, he'll sort his s*** out and then consider playing in the future, but not with St.Kilda.

Melbourne will take you!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
markp
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote: AFL players get a huge amount of support they have well being experts, club doctors , phycologists , councillers etc etc.
More than his job.
Agree.

I wish him well. I'm sure all the help he needs is there if he accepts it.

I also wish the girl well, I hope she's ok and he can stop harassing her... I know from experience that it can be terrifying for them to have someone ignore all imploring and legal barriers. It seems he ignored being threatened with the sack and jail.

The Club can only do so much.

I'm sure the courts will figure out the rest.

supersaints
Club Player

The club has offered counseling to both parties for some time. They have stated they will continue to do so on our website.
I hope they both take up the offers.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Uncle Barrels
Club Player

felix wrote:Would hate to have some people on here in a jury . If you break an order from the legal system to not go within 50 meters or so of said person it's an automatic lock up no questions asked. To many people here assume he has done something terrible, just have to wait and see before you send him off to the gallows.
It would have to be a little more than that one would have thought, otherwise the sergeant at the station he was was taken to would most likely have bailed him on his own recognisance. Or a bail justice would have done the same. The only other possibility as I see it is he was completely sauced at the time he was arrested and they wanted to 'dry him out' overnight.

Legendary
Club Player

Poor bloke.

He's been through a lot.

He loves the Saints. His favourite photo is of him and Harvey together.

Few players actually love their club like Grammy did with St Kilda.

A pity that it hasn't worked out. I hope he can figure things out and get his life back on track. It's sad that his career has had to end this way with the Saints. He was always a player that I liked watching, and his performances in '09 were outstanding.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

wasnt gram pivotal in the Lovett sacking??

#1 Ryder fan
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Poor bloke.

He's been through a lot.

He loves the Saints. His favourite photo is of him and Harvey together.

Few players actually love their club like Grammy did with St Kilda.

A pity that it hasn't worked out. I hope he can figure things out and get his life back on track. It's sad that his career has had to end this way with the Saints. He was always a player that I liked watching, and his performances in '09 were outstanding.

+1, pretty easy to kick a bloke when he's down. I reckon we've all known good blokes do stupid things.

Nee!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Look I didn't want to go here but....

I too have been stalked.

Several times by Stinger over my SS journey (once saw an elderly, cardigan clad cleaner follow me to my car and thought.... could it be?)

More recently St Pav (our newest member of the SS Peter Hoare club..) hangs off my every word.

It has been traumatic to both my goldfish but I workEd through it and I am fully confident Gram will too.

Just felt the need to share is all..

“Yeah….nah””
Munga
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:Had a look and it turns out he was voted our best player in the POTY count in his final two games for the club
Always seemed to peak in August/September, maybe something he picked up from his Brisbane days.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
So please, Saints, take Jason in and assist him, help him regain his pride and self-worth, be there for him when he crashes again and again. Not because we're soft, but because you would to your brother or sister, and Jason Gram the Saint is our brother.

LOYALTY UNITES
For some reason, I am not distressed this time around.

I think we have a coach very sensitive to the issues of his players.

Have a read about what he got up to prior to getting into the AFL ranks of coaching.

I would implore the club to look after him, but I honestly think it's not neccessary these days.

ace
Saintsational Legend

This is the least of what happens when you cover your arms in tattoos.
Sometimes you have to go and play with Collingwood.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA