Kosi or Stanley back?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

shmic_s
Club Player

Kosi or Stanley back?

"It is going to be a squeeze from a big-man point of view. Whether we look at Rhys Stanley spending time down back or Kosi, it all depends what becomes available in the draft and what type of role we want to use Sam Fisher in this year," Watters said.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... 6507868990

Sounds like Scott is going to look at a few different options for our 'new' key backman.

saintjake
Club Player

Re: Kosi or Stanley back?

shmic_s wrote:
"It is going to be a squeeze from a big-man point of view. Whether we look at Rhys Stanley spending time down back or Kosi, it all depends what becomes available in the draft and what type of role we want to use Sam Fisher in this year," Watters said.

Sounds like Scott is going to look at a few different options for our 'new' key backman.

Kosi has the turning circle of the queen mary.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

stanley wont go back to much
smurfs already touted him as the heir to roos spot pretty much

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yeah yeah, Kosi is slow....however I"m not sure the few games where we need someone on a gorilla forward, why he particularly needs to be fast?

If it's an athletic tall, he doesn't get them.

oh when the
Club Player

Kosi lacks awareness for the backline

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

It would be worthwhile at least trying Kosi at C.H.Back. He is no stranger to that position. He played there in the year he won the Rising Star Award.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't mind seeing Kosi down back for a laugh if we're 100 points up or something

Uncle Barrels
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:It would be worthwhile at least trying Kosi at C.H.Back. He is no stranger to that position. He played there in the year he won the Rising Star Award.
He was a fair bit more agile back then, but I wouldn't completely discount the idea. All he has to do is run straight ahead and wrestle.

Hope it doesn't come to though. Be more interested in seeing him break the ton for Sandy

noddy04
Club Player

matrix wrote:stanley wont go back to much
smurfs already touted him as the heir to roos spot pretty much

LOL smurf :lol:

saint6709
Club Player

well hopefully he is just playing possum and has a very good idea who they will get in as a tall back - I can't believe he would be seriously considering kosi for the role

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

At least Roo will be safer if Kosi is at the other end of the paddock......

Given the way Kosi smacks the crap out of our forwards, there could be some merit in tuning him loose on the opposition forwards for a change.......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
StNoodles
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:It would be worthwhile at least trying Kosi at C.H.Back. He is no stranger to that position. He played there in the year he won the Rising Star Award.
Where's that banging head against brick wall smilie?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Love how everyone is already calling him "Tommy" Lee.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:
shmic_s wrote:

Kosi has the turning circle of the queen mary.
That's not a fair comparison.

The Queen Mary can turn a full circle.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Yeah yeah, Kosi is slow....however I"m not sure the few games where we need someone on a gorilla forward, why he particularly needs to be fast?

If it's an athletic tall, he doesn't get them.

A gorilla would actually beat him if he played back.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

I am concerned about our future if our coach seriously thinks Kosi can play back. Mick Nolan would run rings around Kosi. Think Scotty might be taking the piss.

Hope he is anyway. :shock:

If this comes to fruition, my confidence in Watters as a coach willb e shaken to the core.

Kosi down back - lol.

Stanley down back - waste of an exciting ruckman/forward.

Find a farking fullback FFS :evil:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

I laughed. C'mon Scott, dont give us that crap. Unless you are actually serious, in that case.. Well i dont know what to say. Kosi down back, Jeez. Not agile, too slow. Dont even think about it.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

How old was he, how many years ago was that?

Please, i dont see how people can go back to that year and justify that as a reason for him to go back.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:If this comes to fruition, my confidence in Watters as a coach willb e shaken to the core.

Kosi down back - lol.

Stanley down back - waste of an exciting ruckman/forward.

Find a farking fullback FFS :evil:
Agree.

Our only real hope is through the latest FA period. Can't see us drafting a ready made 18 yr old fullback.

Only other option is drafting a 21 or 22 yr old VFL/SANFL/WAFL fullback if a decent one exists.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

I think the idea of Kosi going back has some merit, particularly on certain opponents ! A number of clubs play tall slow full forwards like Cox, Tippet, Clark, Merret, Lynch, McKernan-Jenkins and Kreuzer-Hampson. I believe he could even manage Hawkins & Roughhead with some help !

Just remember people playing forward has always been more difficult (physically) than being a defender - he may just surprise a few !

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:I think the idea of Kosi going back has some merit, particularly on certain opponents ! A number of clubs play tall slow full forwards like Cox, Tippet, Clark, Merret, Lynch, McKernan-Jenkins and Kreuzer-Hampson. I believe he could even manage Hawkins & Roughhead with some help !

Just remember people playing forward has always been more difficult (physically) than being a defender - he may just surprise a few !

I actually reckon out of all those players you mentioned that Hampson and Cox are slow and even they would be quicker than Kosi. SW was taking the piss for sure. Kosi could never play as a FB or any position in the backline not unless we are tanking.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

this has got to be some sick joke.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

For those proposing to play Kosi down back....can you please stop and consider what he is like in body on body work.

= even undersized players can push him over

For those proposing to play Kosi down back....can you please stop and consider what he is like on the burst.

= fast leading forwards would leave him well behind.

So given the above, exactly what criteria do you think actually makes him suitable to be a key defender?
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 01 Nov 2012 8:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

we might as well just bring raph back. if kosi is our only answer bring him back. and Fiora while we're at it.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."