Third party payments - tip of the iceberg?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Fidelis
Club Player

Third party payments - tip of the iceberg?

Emma Quayle breaks the story that Adelaide are under investigation for third party payments to another player, Nathan van Berlo. http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... 29euo.html
Makes you wonder how widespread the practice is. I suspect that it's not at all uncommon. And that a number of players and officials will sleep fitfully tonight wondering if the dam wall is about to break. I think that the AFL haven't really wanted to know about these cases. Certainly I've heard second hand that a Bomber coterie member was speaking openly about high profile supporters raising a war chest to get Goddard over the line. There have long been suspicions at Magpie players signing on for far less than their market price. Is it possible that all clubs have some skeletons in the closet?

Faithful Even Unto Death
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: Third party payments - tip of the iceberg?

Third party payments happen in one form or the other all the time .

How many recently retired players spend the following year at their club as a skills coach ? Most do it once a week , and are so often let go after one or two years !

or what about the players who do PR jobs for club sponsors , I'm sure they do it for the fun of it .

In red white and black from 73
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

See how many times Dawes is on The Footy Show now he has left Collingwood.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Fidelis
Club Player

And now we learn that the AFL has pulled the plug on Judd's Visy deal. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/more-ne ... 6517693271
Sounds like an acceptance from them that this has got out of hand. And in a sense, who can blame clubs for enacting their own arrangements under the table when Judd's AFL endorsed deal is so clearly against the spirit of the rules.

Faithful Even Unto Death
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:See how many times Dawes is on The Footy Show now he has left Collingwood.

What has channel 9 got to do with the pies? Dal was on it a lot more than Dawes.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:See how many times Dawes is on The Footy Show now he has left Collingwood.

What has channel 9 got to do with the pies? Dal was on it a lot more than Dawes.

Dal is a star of the comp Dawes is a donkey. No coincedence that he appeared a hell of a lot after a new contract at the end of 2011. Throw in Cloke who has the talking ability of a three year old.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Dal is a star of the comp Dawes is a donkey. No coincedence that he appeared a hell of a lot after a new contract at the end of 2011. Throw in Cloke who has the talking ability of a three year old.

Again I ask what has channel 9 got to do with the pies? Also plenty of non stars on the footy show and plenty who arent great speakers.

Bardon Saint
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Fair go! My 3 year old would be offended by that comment

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Again I ask what has channel 9 got to do with the pies? Also plenty of non stars on the footy show and plenty who arent great speakers.

No your right the Channel 9 has nothing to do with the Pies. :roll: Please try and name one player with less profile than Dawes on the Footy Show.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No your right the Channel 9 has nothing to do with the Pies. :roll: Please try and name one player with less profile than Dawes on the Footy Show.

I still dont see how channel 9 have got anything to do with the pies. Eddie was CEO. Eddie was on the footy show. He now is neither. He is host of hot seat. Cant name players because i dont have a list. Give me a list and I will give you a name.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I still dont see how channel 9 have got anything to do with the pies. Eddie was CEO. Eddie was on the footy show. He now is neither. He is host of hot seat. Cant name players because i dont have a list. Give me a list and I will give you a name.

Yeah yeah we get it it Eddie would have no chance at all of using The Footy Show appearnces for players as incentive to stay at Collingwood. No chance at all. :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Yeah yeah we get it it Eddie would have no chance at all of using The Footy Show appearnces for players as incentive to stay at Collingwood. No chance at all. :roll:

Well Dawes worked well as an argument to that. And Cloke nearly left as well. Sounds like it really works.

Or it is complete bulls*** which is more likely.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well Dawes worked well as an argument to that. And Cloke nearly left as well. Sounds like it really works.

Yes Dawes leave but he did sign on at the end of 2011 at an what was apparently well under market value. He then appeared regulary on the Footy Show throughout 2012 season. But yeah of course your right. :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Yes Dawes leave but he did sign on at the end of 2011 at an what was apparently well under market value. He then appeared regulary on the Footy Show throughout 2012 season. But yeah of course your right. :roll:

Have you got any figures to prove the myth. Do you beleive in the Loch Ness Monster? And thank you for telling me something I already knew.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

http://theaustralian.com.au/news/afl-pu ... 6517693271

"THE AFL has pulled the plug on Carlton superstar Chris Judd's controversial third-party deal with Visy.

In a shock crackdown, the Blues have been told the $250,000-a-year deal can no longer be paid outside the salary cap....."

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Have you got any figures to prove the myth. Do you beleive in the Loch Ness Monster? And thank you for telling me something I already knew.
No Plugger your right of course its all legit. Just like its legit that Travis Cloke was given an $80000 Maloo Ute to drive around in. All legit. :roll:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Fidelis wrote:Emma Quayle breaks the story that Adelaide are under investigation for third party payments to another player, Nathan van Berlo. http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... 29euo.html
Makes you wonder how widespread the practice is. I suspect that it's not at all uncommon. And that a number of players and officials will sleep fitfully tonight wondering if the dam wall is about to break. I think that the AFL haven't really wanted to know about these cases. Certainly I've heard second hand that a Bomber coterie member was speaking openly about high profile supporters raising a war chest to get Goddard over the line. There have long been suspicions at Magpie players signing on for far less than their market price. Is it possible that all clubs have some skeletons in the closet?
The Goddard story is definately NOT 2nd hand, its REAL. The former President of Essendon who is also the Chairman of TOLL Holdings has stated publicly that he offered a deal re Goddard. Essendon denied this. Unless there is some "HARD" evidence it won't go any further !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
No Plugger your right of course its all legit. Just like its legit that Travis Cloke was given an $80000 Maloo Ute to drive around in. All legit. :roll:
Nick Reiwoldt cruises around in a pretty flash Mercedes Benz in his ambasadoral Role for Mercedes of Melbourne. I think Nick DalSanto has a deal with Audi. Kosi might have a deal with Mazda. Car deals have been around at all clubs for ages and the AFL allows them as long as the AFL knows about them !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
CURLY wrote:
Nick Reiwoldt cruises around in a pretty flash Mercedes Benz in his ambasadoral Role for Mercedes of Melbourne. I think Nick DalSanto has a deal with Audi. Kosi might have a deal with Mazda. Car deals have been around at all clubs for ages and the AFL allows them as long as the AFL knows about them !!
The AFL knew about the Judd deal and it is now kaput. Maybe clubs, including ours, may get their fingers burnt and SC tightened.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And your point is what? Please if you are trying to prove something at least bring up something relevent.

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

Are you really that dumb and stupid Plugger66? :roll: :roll: :roll:

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Eddie was not just host of the Footy Show - he was CEO of the company that set it up. Why doesn't someone look into the board of management of whatever this company is called - and share-holders and also, of course, I am sure Eddie and Newman never even talk anymore. The show has been a Gravy Train for them - it would be easy to pay appearance money and change amounts for players if they wished to do that.
If there is a freaking salary cap it should be REAL - with real penalties like having a GF awarded to the losing team if you are guilty and having to re-pay match payments for the year including Finals and being suspended from playing for a year. What happened to the Storm?
AFL are toothless and turning a blind-eye - it is run by the three blind mice!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

If TFS spots are so lucrative, then why does it appear they're struggling to attract vaguely interesting players? In its heyday, that show used to feature guys like Buckley, Dunstall, Hawkins and Hird amongst others. Far more famous and interesting than the dregs they're getting now. I don't think 9 or TFS are near successful enough right now to be doing weird backdoor favours for a mate who used to work there. I doubt they'd get involved in anything that might be scandalous enough to crash the network.

Before I'll believe there's any kind of Collingwood-related TFS conspiracy, I'd like to see some evidence they're overrepresented relative to the other Melbourne clubs. Surely somebody has been keeping tally somewhere. Even if Collingwood are on more than other Melbourne clubs, it's entirely possible that they're leaning on Eddie to fill their lacklustre panels, rather than the other way around. They seem to pretty regularly get Crawf's old mates too. Guys like Hodge, Campbell Brown and Brad Sewell, all of whom are about as entertaining as cold soup. Do we think they're helping Hawthorn too? What about North?

I don't think there's nearly as much outside the cap action as cynics suggest. There's the stuff the AFL signs off on, most of which is small potatoes. Anything illegal just wouldn't be worth the risk. I'd be pretty annoyed if our list managers were risking the future of the club to squeeze a few extra dollars that we wouldn't give to BJ anyway. Collingwood have a very top-heavy team. They have four guys who account for a third of their possession. Two of them are very young, two of them are on prime deals. They then have Cloke and Shaw. I don't think they'd have anyone else on big money. So why do people think they'd be in cap trouble? It's anti Collingwood paranoia mixed with anti AFL paranoia backed up by no real evidence whatsoever. Just a lot of cynics saying 'don't be so naive'.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
rexy
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:
CURLY wrote:
There is no problem with players having individual contracts, the. Issue is if the sponsor is also a sponsor of the club, ie Visy, or the AFL ie cub. This is where the deal has to be investigated,

Maybe this year?
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:If TFS spots are so lucrative, then why does it appear they're struggling to attract vaguely interesting players? In its heyday, that show used to feature guys like Buckley, Dunstall, Hawkins and Hird amongst others. Far more famous and interesting than the dregs they're getting now. I don't think 9 or TFS are near successful enough right now to be doing weird backdoor favours for a mate who used to work there. I doubt they'd get involved in anything that might be scandalous enough to crash the network.

Before I'll believe there's any kind of Collingwood-related TFS conspiracy, I'd like to see some evidence they're overrepresented relative to the other Melbourne clubs. Surely somebody has been keeping tally somewhere. Even if Collingwood are on more than other Melbourne clubs, it's entirely possible that they're leaning on Eddie to fill their lacklustre panels, rather than the other way around. They seem to pretty regularly get Crawf's old mates too. Guys like Hodge, Campbell Brown and Brad Sewell, all of whom are about as entertaining as cold soup. Do we think they're helping Hawthorn too? What about North?

I don't think there's nearly as much outside the cap action as cynics suggest. There's the stuff the AFL signs off on, most of which is small potatoes. Anything illegal just wouldn't be worth the risk. I'd be pretty annoyed if our list managers were risking the future of the club to squeeze a few extra dollars that we wouldn't give to BJ anyway. Collingwood have a very top-heavy team. They have four guys who account for a third of their possession. Two of them are very young, two of them are on prime deals. They then have Cloke and Shaw. I don't think they'd have anyone else on big money. So why do people think they'd be in cap trouble? It's anti Collingwood paranoia mixed with anti AFL paranoia backed up by no real evidence whatsoever. Just a lot of cynics saying 'don't be so naive'.
The top players already earn enough on the side , thats why !
The FS would pay small change to them , plus most don't crave the limelight . If they go anywhere people are always wanting a piece of them in some form or the other .

In red white and black from 73