Draft Observations

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

damienc
Club Player

Draft Observations

That's draft observations with an "r". From what I have read and seen I am very optimistic and confident about tomorrow's draft. I note with interest that the AFL's national talent manager, Kevin Sheehan who is said to be a bit of a guru when it comes to spotting up and coming talent, has some very good things to say about the calibre of the kids coming through in 2012. He says this year is "one of the deepest pools of talent for several years."

He says they tested 220 kids this year and 150 to 180 of them are good enough to be drafted or rookie listed. Those are impressive stats to say the least. But wait there's more. He says some years it falls away after pick 20 and gets a bit thin on the ground for talent but not this year. And that is music to my ears! Mr Sheehan goes on to say that " a club like St Kilda is happy to have two picks in the 20s and two picks in the 40s because they know they will get some good kids into the club with those picks."

Mr Sheehan says " there's a bunch of midfielders there and some quality talls as well and GWS can't get them all."

Now that is the best news I've heard in a long time. It means we are going to get quality picks even in the 40s and it also might mean that we just might hit some of our draft targets. I just hope we get Dayle Garlett. I reckon he is the absolute dark horse if you will pardon the pun in the draft. A bolter who is the pick of the bunch for me. A top 10 pick on any given day that may slide all the way to 25 fingers crossed.

Then a BOG against the flilth and I am a happy, happy man.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Re: Draft Observations

I'd take what Sheehan says with a bucket of salt if I were you. Find the draft where he commented immediately beforehand 'it falls away after pick 20 and gets a bit thin on the ground for talent...' It's his job to promote young players and the romance of potential and the draft. In fact, true to form, after having been regarded as a 'super-draft' last year, most recruiters you speak to have gone fairly cold on this years draft, particularly after the second round. Of course the contraction of lists/rookie lists hasn't helped but many clubs have advertised the fact that they won't be using later picks or more accurately have contrived to make sure they have none.

70s sainter
Club Player

Don't know about "know" they will get good picks but I will be happy with 2 x 200 gamers from our 20s picks who don't get too many injuries but more importantly , don't get the "oh I just want to go home" bug that seems to be getting quite common these days. Anyway ........... I'm lookin forward to tom night .

Gershwin
Club Player

Emma Quayle said today:
"I think about 18 months ago many people were excited about this draft, but maybe not so much now. After about the first dozen players everyone seems to have different opinions and it starts to thin about maybe around 30."

Hope we use our first 2 picks wisely and target a key Defender and then the best available 18 year old.

summertime and the living is easy ........
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

Had a dream that we drafted Smith and Wright. I must admit, I'd feel kind of underwhelmed if that turns out to be the case.

Gershwin
Club Player

#1GILL wrote:Had a dream that we drafted Smith and Wright. I must admit, I'd feel kind of underwhelmed if that turns out to be the case.
Good, safe picks.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

If past drafts are anything to go by I expect us to grab someone who so far hasn't really been mentioned in any discussions. And maybe even with one of our first two picks.

We always try to guess and they always seem to call out someone whose name has us all going "who?"

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'm looking forward to the draft...

one things for sure afterwards....they'll be surprised those players were still available at those picks

:lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.