WE'LL GET A DEFENDER IN THE DRAFT YOU SAID... U WERE WRONG!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Wigsy
Club Player

Re: WE'LL GET A DEFENDER IN THE DRAFT YOU SAID... U WERE WRO

Austinnn wrote:ahhh right...

now I get it.

I was wondering why so many of you are moaning that we didn't get Clruey or Gartlett or whatever their names are. I mean why are these guys so special out of all the other recruits we didn't take. Then I stumbled across the Herald Sun phantom draft. The names that bunch of clowns decided we should/would take? That's right, Clurey and Gartlett.

It's bad enough that some have the arrogance to assume they know more about a team of professional scouts and recruiting managers who've put in months if not years of research into their choices and whose careers rest on their selections. But it's quite another thing to base your 'better judgement' on the say so of a hack with no real pressure on them to choose. If Clark and even Quayle (who I respect a million times more since she actually is a decent journalist) got the entire draft wrong, the worst that would happen is they'd look silly.

If you are moaning because we didn't do what the papers expected us to, get to the shearers and get your wool cut off cos summer is coming. FFS how about waiting and seeing if the kids we picked are can play, and see how we do in 2013 before you have a cry, you pathetic children?
yep, give it the summer surely! The same frustrations on "reaching" for Ross and Newnes and Dunell etc. It's one key back - perhaps they've identified either existing or targeted personnel for 2013-14.

2009 - the year of the Saint (modified name from MasonCJ2)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Pelchen was brought in to restructure the Saints. this was always going to ea 3/4 year task.

We have had two years now.

We were never going to get it all done in 2 years. But if you look at who we have now gained in that two year period there has been a lot secured...a big change in pace and footskills....several big young key forwards...several young rucks...a number of mids....small forwards etc.

However there are still drafts this year yet.....and as others have noted we most likely have the inside running on Brown now next drat period = Year 3 of our rebuild.

We also have two young key defenders being groomed in Ferguson and Lever.

As also mentioned earlier in this thread 2013 is going to e about developing our next wave of players and getting games into them. A big bodied key defender would be very nice, but most likely in 2014 it will not be the difference in winning a flag or not.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Yaysaints
Club Player

Brown is no guarantee as he may stay so put him aside for now.
While I understand the frustration of some supporters we can't yet
judge our most recent drafts although our drafting before that was
an abject failure.
Though we didn't get a premiership we have had a good decade. It's
Not accepting failure, it's saying if u r only happy being a supporter who
Wins a premiership u will be unhappy many more times than happy.
Perhaps only saints fans that remember the so many spoons can understand.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

we have ferg emerging remember

i guess we will use gilbo or fisher on tall fwds next season.

still a chance we might rookie a mature tall defender....
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 29 Nov 2012 1:56am, edited 1 time in total.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Sam Fisher was drafted as a forward. You don't draft defenders you make them
Yes that happens, but care to remind me who won the NAB rising star this year?

We spent pick 25 on a speculative big man who could be the next Buddy, but could also be the next Lucas Cook. So now we are going to be playing Hickey, Rhys, Lee & White in the forward line for the next 10 years.

Fact is, next best available was Tom Clurey - regardless of our needs, I bet Port are pissing themselves having picked him up where they did.
Opinion not fact.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Megamaguire
Club Player

Re: Austinn's warning

Austin made a good point which was worth repeating..."Don't take the Herald Sun at their word about anything, but especially The Saints:
we are one of their favourite targets, along with illegal immigrants and aborigines".

Yes you are on the money with the dumbing down news(?) paper 'The Bum' Austinn.
I'm just waiting for them to launch their latest dreampt up summer tirade against St.Kilda - namely our alleged questionable culture. When they need the laziest news(?) story that might be afl related pick on the Saints. You simply just can't take these cowboys seriously.
Watters is proactive and he will keep at it till he gets what he thinks will give us a reasonable launch pad into the top 4 and beyond.
I would have liked a KPP for our backline too but inging the unexpected big fella forward to the mix shows he's not simply going to hope Rhys Stanley will produce all we hope he will.
Drafting the dude N.Wright with the ability to securely carry to ball out of our defensive side of the fieid could give us potentially many defensive attacking options that we badly need at the mo. I stress the word potential as i'm not assuming he will be necessarily be the next Patrick Dangerfield as Emma Quayle suggests as a possibility. A successful attacking ball carrier out of defence presents a lot more possibilities and is probably a necessity for any team aiming at top 4.
Really looking forward to seeing Nathan Wright in the red, black and white.

WELCOME ABOARD NATHAN!
GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
bozza1980
Club Player

Simmo2 wrote:It sickens me that you are all so accepting of ineptitude.

No wonder we never win anything.
This is moronic beyond comprehension.

So countless professional people all striving for one goal, a premiership, somehow become complacent and take their eyes of the prize because I don't get apoplectic when they may or may not have made a mistake?

Look what good "eating their own" has done Richmond over the last 30 years, moronic members dropping truckloads of chicken s!?t on the clubs doorstep, microwaving membership cards on the radio or spitting on coaches, how far has that gotten them? Oh, 2 finals series. 2!!!!!

At the end of the day, you have the right to react to our clubs decision however you see fit, but doing a pfoofer valve and suggesting the apathy of other saints fans is the cause of all our ills, isn't going to achieve anything other than further frustration.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.
bozza1980
Club Player

So countless professional people all striving for one goal, a premiership, somehow become complacent and take their eyes of the prize because I don't get apoplectic when they may or may not have made a mistake?

Look what good "eating their own" has done Richmond over the last 30 years, moronic members dropping truckloads of chicken s!?t on the clubs doorstep, microwaving membership cards on the radio or spitting on coaches, how far has that gotten them? Oh, 2 finals series. 2!!!!!

At the end of the day, you have the right to react to our clubs decision however you see fit, but doing a pfoofer valve and suggesting the apathy of other saints fans is the cause of all our ills, isn't going to achieve anything other than further frustration.

bozza1980
Club Player

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The club has realised it has plenty of medium defenders and sadly Nick Winmar is the sacrificial lamb - mainly because they have decided Dunell is a better bet than Nick.

So this lives the door open for Ferg AND for us to draft a mature rookie defender (noonan or hartigan types).

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

saint66au wrote:
St Ick wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Sam Fisher was drafted as a forward. You don't draft defenders you make them
Yes that happens, but care to remind me who won the NAB rising star this year?

We spent pick 25 on a speculative big man who could be the next Buddy, but could also be the next Lucas Cook. So now we are going to be playing Hickey, Rhys, Lee & White in the forward line for the next 10 years.

Fact is, next best available was Tom Clurey - regardless of our needs, I bet Port are pissing themselves having picked him up where they did.
Opinion not fact.
Depends what you base facts on. If its beep test scores at the combine then yes, he is the best available! :lol: But I get your point...

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We just got Roberton. So we was right (not the draft per se but we got a mature defender as predicted by many on here).
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 29 Nov 2012 5:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Scott said they rated 2 defenders in the draft. Jaksche ? who else Corr? Either way welcome about Chip frawley or Brown.