Hypothetical situation...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Hypothetical situation...

Good evening all.

Was just pondering our ruck situation at the moment. Now, let's say by the end of 2013 season, we've seen signs that Tom Hickey is ready to assume the #1 ruck mantle, Rhys Stanley stays injury free and is capable of playing the ruck/forward swingman role, whilst Lever & Staley impress in the reserves and appear that they would be capable back ups at AFL level. In that time, Macca doesn't improve his ability to win hitouts (especially to advantage).

If that were to occur, would anybody else be willing to trade Macca on for the likes of a Tyson/Hoskin-Elliot/Haynes type from GWS?

The Saints are coming!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hypothetical situation...

No because he will clearly be our best ruckman over the next few years. If what you says happens then we must trade him but it sounds like he will be a seconds player so we will get bugger all for him. No idea why GWS would want a seconds ruckman.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:No because he will clearly be our best ruckman over the next few years. If what you says happens then we must trade him but it sounds like he will be a seconds player so we will get bugger all for him. No idea why GWS would want a seconds ruckman.
We just signed one in Tom Hickey. Plenty of clubs are willing to take a punt on a "seconds" ruckman because everyone's trying to dig up gold in the ruck department and they take a long time to develop. In recent years I reckon all these guys who changed clubs counted more or less as fringe ruckmen: Sam Jacobs, Ivan Maric, Brent Renouf, Jonathan Giles, Robbie Warnock, Mark Seaby, Josh Jenkins, Jonathon Griffin, James Sellar, Cameron Wood, David Hale, Kepler Bradley, Orren Stephenson, Ben Hudson, Dean Brogan.

That doesn't mean we'd get much for him, but he would probably fit their age profile pretty well at that point, being a little older than their core. I really hope it doesn't come to that though - I'd prefer him to be in the top five rucks in the comp and captain of the Saints for a long time.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Did WC look to offload Cox when Niknat came on? I don't think it would happen in all honesty. We traded so we don't have to rely on Stanley and so we could get some depth. I think it would be very surprising, Pierce is the other one you didn't mention. But he is years off I would imagine - by the time he is ready he will probably go to the newest expansion club, the NZ Hobbits!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy's biggest strength is his ability to push down in defence and either mark or spoil which helps our short defence. His ruckwork will only improve as he gets stronger.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We have a long way to go.

As recently as 2012 we had to resort to playing (A) Kosi and (B) Kosi in the ruck.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He may be advantaged or disadvantaged by the new ruck rules. He was embarrassingly pushed off balance plenty of times while rucking so with the new rules he may actually find competing easier. On the other hand he doesn't really jump or leap so could go either way. There are no guarantees in footy and just because the club say he is a future captain etc. they will drop him like a hot potato if a better pair of ruckman streak ahead of him. hope he makes it as he seems like a good guy and he has offered plenty of hope but people are less critical of him than Armo and Steven but I would say both offer closer to a grade performance than Ben.

PJ
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:He may be advantaged or disadvantaged by the new ruck rules. He was embarrassingly pushed off balance plenty of times while rucking so with the new rules he may actually find competing easier. On the other hand he doesn't really jump or leap so could go either way. There are no guarantees in footy and just because the club say he is a future captain etc. they will drop him like a hot potato if a better pair of ruckman streak ahead of him. hope he makes it as he seems like a good guy and he has offered plenty of hope but people are less critical of him than Armo and Steven but I would say both offer closer to a grade performance than Ben.
Where have the club said he'll be a future captain?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i dont get where all the hate is for McEvoys rucking is comming from .. in my opinion he is doing a remarkable job given his age and the task of being our number 1 ruckman , reading some comments you would think he is the worst ruck we have ever had .. he is not in the upper brackets as yet but he is more than holding his own in my opinion

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
St. Hellrider

Fact is he had to step up to the #1 spot before his time.
Still to reach his prime, and tracking well.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy is good at the falcon
he is good at marking in defence
he takes marks up forward
he struggles to win a hit out

Winning hit outs hasn't been a high priority at the Saints for nigh on 20 years, currently ,we are tracking on par....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.