Big Footy etc

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Big Footy etc

My brother was recently looking at Big Footy and was amazed by some of the stuff on there. This is what I wrote to him.

'The Big Footy forum mainly consists of Essendon, Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond supporters.
All of these once-great VFL clubs' supporters are delusional. They think "Now we've got T*rd/Mick Sh*thouse/Chris Dudd we'll win the next 10 Premierships, mate!"

They don't realize it's a whole new world now. That sort of domination... like the Dees in the '50s... will never happen again!

Hawthorn as well.... Those spoilt supporters of 50+ who saw flag after flag growing up. After '08 they thought "Happy days are here again" but it won't happen.
Hawthorn is the new Collingwood....they now lose close finals ( Prelim 2011, GF 2012) because the pressure and sheer weight of expectation is so great!

The boofs on Big Footy regard St Kilda with disdain.... They don't think we're a real VFL/AFL club. We are 20 years older than Collingwood!
In the last 10 seasons ( 2003-2012) we've been in 5 Prelims and 3 Grand Finals.
Essendon: 0 and 0
Richmond: 0 and 0
Carlton: 0 and 0
Hawthorn: 3 and 2
Collingwood: 4 and 4
Hawthorn and Collingwood have each won a flag in that time, but we've certainly been more successful than Essendon, Richmond and Carlton.
Of course supporters of these clubs all hate each other but one thing they agree on... They all hate St Kilda.

Indisputable truths for Big Footy boofs:

1. Riewoldt's a p**ft*r ( I mean who cares, it's 2013 and all that, but after marrying the hottest Texan blonde since Jerry Hall he probably isn't ). This also applies to Kozzi and any other good-looking Saints.

2. The Saints all r*pe women and scr*w schoolgirls (BTW doesn't this kind of contradict the first point?)

3. Milne ( and others, but especially Milne) has committed some terrible crime and has been convicted, hung, drawn and quartered even though the 'case' has been closed for years.

4. All Saints players are over-rated ( until of course they go to another club, whereupon they are now champions! "How cud yuz let HIM go? Stupid Saints".

5. Saints supporters are weak, fickle losers. ( Isn't it amazing though how many supporters we have after only one Premiership in 140 years? If Essendon had only one flag, they'd have zero supporters!

BTW no. of seasons since these clubs were in a Grand Final:
Carlton 13
Essendon 11
Richmond 30

A lot of these 'great ' clubs won most of their flags before the arrival of 'talking pictures'!'

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
Sick Nal Danto
Club Player

Re: Big Footy etc

haha

/end of rant

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Brilliant post ILPK. Those dreamers have a sense of entitlement that would make the British aristocracy blush. I doubt we'll see carlscum or the bummers win one in the foreseeable future. As for the pathetic tigers, their supporters don't realise they've been the competition joke for 30 years. One of the annual certainties is that they will implode. I give Softwick until round 10 before the noose tightens.

Seriously, carlscum doesn't know how to develop a list and win without cheating, the bummers nostalgic delusion based around Turd will cripple them and the filth regularly collapses under the weight of expectation. Two flags in 55 years. I wonder how they define failure if that is the basis for their boast that they are greatest club in the country. The best part about all of this is that we get the joy of beating them regularly while their fwit supporters bleat about how they can't beat the supposedly useless St.Kilda. We learned from our years at the bottom. We'll win fags. It's only a matter of time. Meanwhile I will take joy from the failure of these arrogant, self-entitled d@ckheads.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

White Winmar wrote:Brilliant post ILPK. Those dreamers have a sense of entitlement that would make the British aristocracy blush... :lol:
... We learned from our years at the bottom. We'll win fags. It's only a matter of time. Meanwhile I will take joy from the failure of these arrogant, self-entitled d@ckheads.
ILPK & WW, two pretty damn good posts I reckon! :idea:

Now that one can no longer buy a premiership EPL-style (Swines excepted :evil: ), most of those deluded self-aggrandising clubs have been caught napping, and their on-going sense of entitlement and sheer bloody arrogance is preventing them from rising from their opium-den comas, waking up, and smelling that the roses have wilted. The band may still be playing, the bar may still be serving the fancy cocktails..., but the Titanic has met the iceberg, and the football world has moved on you dinosaurs. Ignorance is bliss... :lol: :twisted:

As for our mighty Saintas. Yep, that breakthrough flag will come, and damn sooner than the wider football world expect(!)Then, with the monkey off the back, I truly believe that more St Kilda premiership flags will start to flow/fly/flutter.

Go you Saintas!!!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I look at BF but dont post there. I reckon people posting treat every side the same if they dont follow them but because we follow the Saints we take to heart what they say about our club a lot more. IMO a crap site but each to their own but I certainly dont think we are picked on anymore than any other club.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I look at BF but dont post there. I reckon people posting treat every side the same if they dont follow them but because we follow the Saints we take to heart what they say about our club a lot more. IMO a crap site but each to their own but I certainly dont think we are picked on anymore than any other club.
You've got to be kidding. All the controversy the club has been involved in over the last few years hasn't helped and that's given other supporters ammunition.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I look at BF but dont post there. I reckon people posting treat every side the same if they dont follow them but because we follow the Saints we take to heart what they say about our club a lot more. IMO a crap site but each to their own but I certainly dont think we are picked on anymore than any other club.
They love you over there Pluggsy, on the Saints forum.

You're a celebrity. :D

8856brother wrote:
They love you over there Pluggsy, on the Saints forum.

You're a celebrity. :D

Thats good. Dont read that forum but they obviously need to get a life.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
You've got to be kidding. All the controversy the club has been involved in over the last few years hasn't helped and that's given other supporters ammunition.

Yep and if another club had the same controversy they would cop it to. Lets face it the pies are the most hated club in Victoria so surely they would cop more if they deserve it. We are a nothing club. There is no logical reason to hate us more than any other club.

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:A lot of these 'great' clubs won most of their flags before the arrival of 'talking pictures'!
I would start by not counting any wartime flags. Joke. Great example is 1916 when Fitzroy (RIP) won the spoon, but with only four teams competing, they still made the finals... and went on to win the flag. Spoon and flag in the same season. Joke! :roll:

So that's Carlscum, Carlscum, Fitzroy, Skunks, South Melbourne (WW1),
and that's Dreamons, Dreamons, Still Dreaming, Effndum, Fitzroy, Carlscum (WW2).

There's three flags off the list for the Dreamon's and Carlscum for starters.

Then there's the flags won by invoking the dubious finish-top-loose-but-can-challenge-and-get-a-replay (Argus System)...
1898, 1900, 1902, 1905, 1909, 1910, 1912, 1913 ( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ), 1919-23, 1925, 1926, 1929, 1930.

*** Note that 1929 & 1930 were the third and fourth years of the Skunk's supposedly legendary-never-been-matched-four-flags-in-a-row. Farce! They only actually won two of those flags, but under that stupid challenge system... :shock: ***

I'll leave out buying premierships outright, and I'll leave buying premierships illegally through salary cap cheating... (Eat your heart out Lance Armstrong, the likes of Carlscum were rorting way before you.)

So, there's some over-hyped 'history' of a few over-hyped clubs that would be changed.

But not to worry, there's no way any of them will be letting the facts get in the way of the spin doctoring... :idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Au ... e_premiers

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:In the last 10 seasons ( 2003-2012) we've been in 5 Prelims and 3 Grand Finals.
Essendon: 0 and 0
Richmond: 0 and 0
Carlton: 0 and 0
Hawthorn: 3 and 2
Collingwood: 4 and 4
Hawthorn and Collingwood have each won a flag in that time, but we've certainly been more successful than Essendon, Richmond and Carlton.
Unfortunately, I'd bet on each of those five clubs winning another flag before we win our third, and probably before we win our second. Given we missed this opportunity, that's just the inevitable logic of the cycle.
I Love Peter Kiel wrote:Of course supporters of these clubs all hate each other but one thing they agree on... They all hate St Kilda.
Serious? They all hate all the other clubs which aren't their own. Why do you think they particularly hate St Kilda?

defacto
Club Player

the st kilda board on bigfooty is moderated very well. something this forum could learn from.

no offence but alot of the threads on here get turned into pissing contests between 1 or 2 people. enough to put people off from posting. then theres the duplicate threads. the userbility of this forum isnt as good either.

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Thanks for the heartening replies. I'm very optimistic about this season, despite what some of the so-called 'experts' think. Bergholt, do you really think Richmond will win another flag before we do?

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

I Love Peter Kiel wrote:Thanks for the heartening replies. I'm very optimistic about this season, despite what some of the so-called 'experts' think. Bergholt, do you really think Richmond will win another flag before we do?
I reckon there's an implicit cycle in the AFL and that's pretty hard to break. Personally I don't think we'll be truly competitive for at least five years - it'd take a superhuman effort from the old guys and a breakout year from a few young guys to get us close in 2013, and after that too many old guys will be gone so there'll be a gap in the middle.

I reckon Richmond have already got their next generation of superstars, while we're just hoping we've got a couple somewhere on the list. Trent Cotchin finished second in a Brownlow, Jack Riewoldt won two Colemans. You can build a team around those two and that's what they're doing. Don't know if they've got the supporting cast because I don't play that much attention, but Maric, Deledio and Martin seem like a good start.

Saying that Richmond will fail because Richmond always fail is exactly the same logic other clubs use about St Kilda. Though I guess we've proved that right in the last ten years so maybe it is true of the Tigers as well.

Yaysaints
Club Player

The guys that pissed me off on bf over the break were the west coast supporters who were weighing up our attempt
to snare Mitch Brown like it was their decision.
As in " nope straight swap for cripps isn't good enough " or " we need him after glass retires ". Who
Cares a damn what they think. I went into the west coast site and told them so.

Yaysaints
Club Player

There can be no reasonable discussion on bf because our history as losers will be brought up whatever the context. We can counter with recent history but until we win another premiership we will hear the same crap.
Then again even successful clubs bicker over who has sixteen cups and who has seventeen.
So apart from the exception, don't expect a reasonable discussion.
Having said that, there is not the fighting within the saints board that there is on here. If the mods just
carded the most regular squabblers here it would be a better place.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Supporters from some other clubs like to laugh at us due to our constant Failure.

So what we made 2 GF's (the replay is part of one of them not really an extra) and 5 prelims recently.

We ultimately failed so need to suck up the flack we deserve.

If I was an anti-Saints person, I'd be banging on about those 5 points also.

Only a flag will give us some ammo.

What makes it worse is that we were based Moorabbin - very close to very wealthy Melbourne suburbs, yet with all the money in the area which should led to solid corporate support we still failed terribly in that area.

A team like Footscray is the poorer West at least has some excuses, we don't!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We were in 3 if you include 1997 SP :)
I don't think we are in anywhere near as poor a position player-wise as many on here and BF think. We are being written off by all and sundry in the media and within the AFL community as a whole, but this doesn't worry me because other great years have come out of nowhere.
How many people thought we would be playing off in a Grand Final so soon after Lockett left and Frawley retired?
We were also widely tipped to dip after Thomas was sacked, and then when Harvs retired and we didn't recruit Ben Cousins, nobody thought we win 22 games that year and nearly win a Flag, then back it up the next year.
We even got ourselves into a position to host a home final the following year.
In Pelchan we trust.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Supporters from some other clubs like to laugh at us due to our constant Failure.

So what we made 2 GF's (the replay is part of one of them not really an extra) and 5 prelims recently.

We ultimately failed so need to suck up the flack we deserve.

If I was an anti-Saints person, I'd be banging on about those 5 points also.

Only a flag will give us some ammo.

What makes it worse is that we were based Moorabbin - very close to very wealthy Melbourne suburbs, yet with all the money in the area which should led to solid corporate support we still failed terribly in that area.

A team like Footscray is the poorer West at least has some excuses, we don't!

Fail to understand your last two paragraphs. This isnt local footy where the major sponsor is the local real estate agent. Im sure we get local support for sponsorship but our major problem has been a top tier sponsor. That has nothing to do with where you are based.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We were the local club of a wealthy area. Well connected people live in Brighton. They run a lot of big business.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:We were the local club of a wealthy area. Well connected people live in Brighton. They run a lot of big business.

Yep so how does that help in a national competition? How many clubs have local top tier sponsors?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

You wouldn't be the big fish over there because it's full of aggressive tools who bag others posts. Better to be the apex fool on here. The main sport is bagging other teams not sniping the opinions of your own teams supporters so you would get bored come to think of it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

You wouldn't be the big fish over there because it's full of aggressive tools who bag others posts. Better to be the apex fool on here. The main sport is bagging other teams not sniping the opinions of your own teams supporters so you would get bored come to think of it.

So when people post crap on here we should just accept it. Well you can because you couldnt differentiate but I will point it out. As for being a big or little fish, well you couldnt be more wrong. I couldnt give a stuff.

hAyES
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:I look at BF but dont post there.
plugger66 wrote: Dont read that forum but they obviously need to get a life.
:?:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I look at BF but dont post there.
plugger66 wrote: Dont read that forum but they obviously need to get a life.
:?:

The second comment was about the Saints forum on BF not the general footy forum.