Goddards managers comments.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddards managers comments.

BigMart wrote:Goddards a gun

It's that simple.... He's worth 700k
Yep. And yet St Kilda still shouldn't pay $700k to a 28 year old when we won't be challenging for at least five years.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:BJ is now an EX Saints player, I'm really not bothered about who/what/where/when he plays!
Seeing him in a Bombers guernsey is vomit-inducing.

Do you just turn a blind eye to that?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:
saint6709 wrote:but in a real game he won't be left by himself - any good coach knows that they key to nullifying Goddard is playing a tight tag - he hates it and performs badly
Well Stanton and Jobe will enjoy that....

That's the thing, can't tag them all.

I still can't believe Saints fans think he is so ordinary, I guess we'll see.
Correct. The key is to give BJ the tight tag, that is also the key with Stanton... so one gets loose and its good for Bombers.

Getting rid of Monfries, Lonergan, Dyson, Reimers, Prismall etc will hurt the Dons depth especially if an injury or two pop up. The have a good midfield, far from elite - in the bottom half of the comp imo.

Having said all that its hard to see BJ in a different jumper, I wont bag his ability he is a fantastic player - both player and club did the right thing by themselves last October.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
saint6709
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
saint6709 wrote:but in a real game he won't be left by himself - any good coach knows that they key to nullifying Goddard is playing a tight tag - he hates it and performs badly
Well Stanton and Jobe will enjoy that....

That's the thing, can't tag them all.

I still can't believe Saints fans think he is so ordinary, I guess we'll see.
Not for a second did I suggest he was ordinary - he is very good and I will never forget seeing his mark in goal square v pies 2010 - I had a great view of it and I thought we could win when he took it - what I am saying is that there is a way to play him - and I actually like that we are able to get some young talent into the team with him going - I think there were
about 3 positions last year we couldn't cover that we now can and I think someone like sippos - while not in Goddards league yet can cover his role - say sippos plays the roll 20% less efficiently than Goddard - but we improve kpp's ruck forward and back that's a big win in my book

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Why will be challenging in 5 years?

Is that for certain?

Lets not forget he is two years away from veteran status... Always a n interesting management move to willingly lose a 28yo.... Although BJ is not yet 28, and IMO has 7 years of sweeping across HB left

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why will be challenging in 5 years?

Is that for certain?

Lets not forget he is two years away from veteran status... Always a n interesting management move to willingly lose a 28yo.... Although BJ is not yet 28, and IMO has 7 years of sweeping across HB left

So you admit he is a sweeper and we should have paid him maybe up to 800k to keep him. We made a decision based on knowledge that none of know here. I will back the club got it right.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Why will be challenging in 5 years?

Is that for certain?
Fair point, it might take a lot longer than that. After 71 it took 26 years until our next GF, after 97 it took 12. If it's anything like that then whether or not we signed BJ will make zero difference.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I see it the same as Melbourne, Geelong and the bulldogs refusing to pay overs. It sets a precedent that is hard to repeal. The Dons will need to keep players when they go up and then be forced to pay overs or lose good players. Bellchambers, Pears etc. come good and get offers outside the club added to the need to keep guys like Zaharakis and Heppell will mean they need some space and they may end up losing someone like Hurley who could get overs at a club further down the ladder. It's a way that the clubs can equalise without using just the draft.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Firstly
You often just back the club.. History suggests they don't always get it right?? The contrary view has more evidence....

Actually history suggests that Essendon has got a lot more right over the journey... And have most likely got it right here.... The snared the biggest name in the free agency signing period and gave up zero except cap space which they had.... Basically it was a great coup!

And a sweeper of that quality is every bit as important as any other position, no such thing as JUST a sweeper (how many better ones have there even been?).... He was worth 700k to us.... So basically Essendon paid what was needed to lure him...

And I'll say it again... players rarely leave successful/big clubs.... Unless they are not getting a gig, or are turfed out.... Great players hardly ever leave big clubs..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Firstly
You often just back the club.. History suggests they don't always get it right?? The contrary view has more evidence....

Actually history suggests that Essendon has got a lot more right over the journey... And have most likely got it right here.... The snared the biggest name in the free agency signing period and gave up zero except cap space which they had.... Basically it was a great coup!

And a sweeper of that quality is every bit as important as any other position, no such thing as JUST a sweeper (how many better ones have there even been?).... He was worth 700k to us.... So basically Essendon paid what was needed to lure him...

And I'll say it again... players rarely leave successful/big clubs.... Unless they are not getting a gig, or are turfed out.... Great players hardly ever leave big clubs..

Gary Ablett and Chris Judd for example. Our history is poor but that doesnt mean it cant or hasnt improved. Considering 2 clubs have started up we have done well to only lose one player in the last 4 years. And yes I back the club when they have the facts and we dont unless you know something nearly all of us on here dont know which I doubt.

And I fail to agree with you regarding a sweeper of his quality being as important as any other position. I will take a great CHF or a great ruckman over a very good sweeper because BJ is only very good, he isnt great.

nw7
Club Player

Brendan played the same way for the Bombers as he did with us, he will struggle when he gets tagged, he will struggle in the mid field when they put him there. He's a good player but he's not worth between $700K and $800K per year, well done Saints for offering what we thought he was worth, not what the Bombers thought he was worth. Free agency has just started, we may have been on the receiving end this time but it gives us the chance of improving our list with a very good player in the next few years.

felix
Club Player

If your having trouble watching brendaena in an essonden jumper just pretend he's an ex girlfriend whose had a sex change..well it worked for me .

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Firstly

Salmon, Hamill, Roger Merrett, Gherig, Modra, Jezza the list is pretty long of successful players that leave their clubs even if they are stable. Money and opportunity can lure people pretty easily. Goddard was pretty much a result of guys like Ball using the AFLPA to pressure the AFL for a form of free agency where the market tests a players value. It will become more common and there is even a suggestion that the AFL is looking to remove the compensation element.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote: Actually history suggests that Essendon has got a lot more right over the journey... And have most likely got it right here.... Great players hardly ever leave big clubs..
REcent history, or just history itself? Because recent history suggests I'd back our club over the bombers every day of the week. Does that mean we have got every decision right? No. But saying that history suggests that they have got a lot more right than the bombers, particularly in light of what has just happened at their club, and the fact we have been FAR more successful than them in the last 12 years.

Ron Barrassi left the blues, Judd left the Eagles, Salmon left the Bombers, Raines left the tigers (when they were big) Ablett left the Cats. All better players than BJ. If you were prepared to pay BJ $700k a year, then I'm glad you're not in charge of our list management. I know of at least one list manager at a top club who told me personally that BJ is actually worth between $450k - $550k. The overwhelming view of him is that he is an elite kick/decision maker with the ball, but is suspect against a tag, and definitely suspect as a starting mid.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hardly ever I said.... Btw, barassi left Melbourne... Those players are so identified, even 30 years later...

Ball + Goddard equals 2 players

Since 2000 we have actually lost 4 high profile players..... To rivals

A few have been dumped, a few traded

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I love the bummers capacity for self-delusion. They've been very ordinary over the past 10 years and I can't see much improvement on the horizon. Same as Carlscum and the tigers. All living in the past. Their time as power clubs is well and truly over.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Hardly ever I said.... Btw, barassi left Melbourne... Those players are so identified, even 30 years later...

Surely you're not counting Dawson in the HIGH PROFILE category?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Hardly ever I said.... Btw, barassi left Melbourne... Those players are so identified, even 30 years later...

Surely you're not counting Dawson in the HIGH PROFILE category?

I think it would be Hall and Spider both of whom had issues at our club. Anyway that was over 10 years. Nothing to do with now. We have lost only BJ since 2 new sides have come into the comp which isnt bad at all.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No

But I consider Everitt and Hall high profile... Along with Goddard and Ball....

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

If we go back 10 years we need to tally credits vs debits.
i.e Hamill, Gehrig, Schneider, Dempster coming vs those that left.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think we are in the red.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think we are in the red.
What would you have paid Goddard to stay?

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:I remember a few games where BJ exerted influence and won his own ball?!

One game in particular....

In fact that game would be a better game than McClure would have ever dreamed of

Goddards a gun

It's that simple.... He's worth 700k
He is a gun however in our position he is not worth the cash.

Did anyone else notice that almost all of his possessions were forward of center? Where he is most effective....

The fact is a great kick forward of center is worth much more than a great kick in the back 50 considering we also have NDS and Siposs.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
BigMart wrote:I think we are in the red.
What would you have paid Goddard to stay?
I think that is a fair question to those who thought he should stay.

Some silly figures going around, but I'm pretty confident that the Bombers paid what works out to about $780 over 4 years...I think it was an interview that I heard.

I'd have paid $700 over 4 years, and think that would have got it done.

$200K over 4 years when guys like Hayes, Blake, Milne are probably going to retire by the end of next year doesn't seem overs to me.

You can disagree, but try not to get personal...I rate him highly.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

If I was offered what goddard was offered PLUS the incentives (sponsorship, after footy work, 'environmental ambassador contracts') I would have gone too.
That said, If essendon have been done for drugs...LOL.
it would be a disgrace if they played football with drug cheats in them.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!