Roberton has suprised me, Gilbert has not

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Re: Roberton has suprised me, Gilbert has not

plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Gilbert played really well against Melbourne.

We all see thing differently and I only saw 3 quarters but I thought he was only fair and I dont like him on the HFF. You thought Jamar struggled and I thought he was very good. Its an opinion business so my opinion is Gilbert needs to play wing or HBF to get the best out of him. I think he is a player who can improve from the last 2 years and can help the side improve this year.

Agreed, he can improve and Im very confident he will this season.. I'm basing this on my opinion that he was excellent on Saturday... And I thought Jamar was abysmal..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
BigMart wrote:Gilbert played really well against Melbourne.

We all see thing differently and I only saw 3 quarters but I thought he was only fair and I dont like him on the HFF. You thought Jamar struggled and I thought he was very good. Its an opinion business so my opinion is Gilbert needs to play wing or HBF to get the best out of him. I think he is a player who can improve from the last 2 years and can help the side improve this year.

Agreed, he can improve and Im very confident he will this season.. I'm basing this on my opinion that he was excellent on Saturday... And I thought Jamar was abysmal..

Well you are like BM then.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Going on shortened quarters, Blake had 9 at Quarter time, obviously that extrapolated if maintained would have been 36 and 36 from any follower in a short game is not bad... Let alone a Ruckman, he killed it... Maybe Jamar should have gotten within a bulls roar of him.... He ran him off his legs, but Luckily for him he tired...

I would suggest his clearance work was actually abysmal and people doing the best list, overplayed his supposed ruck dominance which amounted to little... But getting in melbourne best, well they had to find someone... And his stats looked, on the surface of things reasonable

Lucky for him, Ben wasn't playing.... His in effectiveness around the ground would have been matched by even less (expected) ruck dominance... We played without a bonafide Ruckman...

Oh, and Gilbert wasn't in our best, but I would have considered his game good... A 6/7

Dal, Joey, Geary, Beau, Gwilt, Newnes would have headed my best....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Going on shortened quarters, Blake had 9 at Quarter time, obviously that extrapolated if maintained would have been 36 and 36 from any follower in a short game is not bad... Let alone a Ruckman, he killed it... Maybe Jamar should have gotten within a bulls roar of him.... He ran him off his legs, but Luckily for him he tired...

I would suggest his clearance work was actually abysmal and people doing the best list, overplayed his supposed ruck dominance which amounted to little... But getting in melbourne best, well they had to find someone... And his stats looked, on the surface of things reasonable

Lucky for him, Ben wasn't playing.... His in effectiveness around the ground would have been matched by even less (expected) ruck dominance... We played without a bonafide Ruckman...

Oh, and Gilbert wasn't in our best, but I would have considered his game good... A 6/7

Dal, Joey, Geary, Beau, Gwilt, Newnes would have headed my best....

BM Blake had 9 what at quarter time? And both papers named him first. Its their opinion. It isnt right or wrong. Sobraz said your opinion was correct. That isnt right or wrong either. And Ben wasnt playing. Thanks for that.
Last edited by plugger66 on Wed 13 Mar 2013 8:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

shmic_s
Club Player

I think both are pushing for a place in the 22 atm.

Gilbert as a wing/mid that can have a spell forward or back, Roberton as a HBF.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

9 beers, or possessions..... What do you think?!

Not sure what Jamar did that was so impressive, except for accumulating some DT points by winning ruck contests vs little opposition.

If I were Neeld, I'd be asking why my team was smashed in the middle, whilst having a massive ruck advantage??.... Because it wasn't really an advantage... I'd go as far as saying, Blake had more influence... Just on his first quarter?

Your view is yours, correct.... Surely your argument has better support than He made the best list.... In one paper a best list wasn't even published.... They just did the goal kickers.... Perhaps meaning, they didn't even send a reporter to Casey?

What was it he actually did, in your eyes that you felt was important??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:9 beers, or possessions..... What do you think?!

Not sure what Jamar did that was so impressive, except for accumulating some DT points by winning ruck contests vs little opposition.

If I were Neeld, I'd be asking why my team was smashed in the middle, whilst having a massive ruck advantage??.... Because it wasn't really an advantage... I'd go as far as saying, Blake had more influence... Just on his first quarter?

Your view is yours, correct.... Surely your argument has better support than He made the best list.... In one paper a best list wasn't even published.... They just did the goal kickers.... Perhaps meaning, they didn't even send a reporter to Casey?

What was it he actually did, in your eyes that you felt was important??

Well firstly considering Blake had 8 possessions for the game I find it hard to beleive he had 9 in the first quarter and how do you get quarter by quarter stats anyway? So you can forgive me for asking what he had 9 of. I hope you can come up with a reason you suggested 9 and i would also like to know about quarter by quarter stats. By the way they did do bests in the 2 papers. Well the 2 i looked at on Sunday.

And I thought Jamar gave their mids first use of the ball but when you line up the players we had by far the classier midfield and actually still lost the centre clearances by 4. We beat them by 4 in overall clearances. Hardly a smashing or if it then we were smashed in the middle even though you said they were.. Our best 3 mids consisted of Dal, Lenny and Joey. Theres were Magner, Jones and Rodan. So there you go. I reckon all that suggests Jamer did very well in the ruck. And the best part is all my stats are accurate. Didnt have to make up figures when challenged.

And I again say you have a different opinion to me. Neither of us are right or wrong. By the way where do you think Gilbert should play if we have a full side and do you think Roberton gets a game.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

At quarter time, the guy on the PA said it, if you were there you must have heard.... Newnes and Blake were leading.

Gilbert - Wing
Said that in 2011 pre season... He has some interesting attributes

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

If Gilbert had actual football ability he would one of the best players in the league. Sadly he doesn't and will clog our list needlessly for a further 3 years.

Are we waiting for a saviour?
I'm so sick of waiting!
I've been waiting my whole life!
This is a new day!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:At quarter time, the guy on the PA said it, if you were there you must have heard.... Newnes and Blake were leading.

Gilbert - Wing
Said that in 2011 pre season... He has some interesting attributes

I was there and didnt hear it. Anyway i watched the game and realised he hadnt had 9 possessions. He had 8 for the game. Probably had 3 in the first quarter. No idea why I must have heard it. I was on the outer wing for a start and was talking to a mate as well. And probably in the beer line at the time. So were you wrong about the 9? And thanks for the answer on Gilbert. I agree wing or maybe HB. What about Roberton? Think he may play round one? His problem is the HBF is a very popular spot for our team.

lewdogs
Club Player

Gilbert through the wing could be a very good move. Has really impressed me this pre-season.

As has Roberton

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

A wing is for fast, smooth moving skilled players who can hit a target... Gilbert is not that player...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I was on the outer wing too.... He went through the possession winners, spoke to an injured melbourne player who when asked 'what did you like about the first quarter' answered 'we are in front'

Clearly said Newnes and Blake were stk leading ball winners with 9. They may have had another stats source?? What I did. Notice was that Blake won a LOT of the footy, and easy ball too....

Roberton IMO has Dempster to compete with and would sit in the best 25... Not sure about best 22...
But he's OK

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I was on the outer wing too.... He went through the possession winners, spoke to an injured melbourne player who when asked 'what did you like about the first quarter' answered 'we are in front'

Clearly said Newnes and Blake were stk leading ball winners with 9. They may have had another stats source?? What I did. Notice was that Blake won a LOT of the footy, and easy ball too....

Roberton IMO has Dempster to compete with and would sit in the best 25... Not sure about best 22...
But he's OK

Newnes did have 9 and Blake had 2 kicks, 2 marks and 2 tackles which is 2 possessions so i have no idea what the guy was on about.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Just thought I'd say I watched yesterdays game via Giants site and Gilbert had a good game. Cross the fingers from here and hope the good outweighs the bad this year!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Roberton IMO has Dempster to compete with and would sit in the best 25... Not sure about best 22...
But he's OK
The trick to getting back into contention is batting deeper than 22....so 25 sits well with me.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

In two years when Fisher has gone we are going to be very thankful we have Roberton IMO.
We can build a premier future defense on Roberton, Simpkin and Stanley.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:In two years when Fisher has gone we are going to be very thankful we have Roberton IMO.

No we cant. I think that proves where the club is at to be honest.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Too early to make a call on Roberton. Fact is he's still very young however quite experienced in terms of games verse age and where he sits on our list. I think that speaks for itself really. Shows a lot of promise.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:In two years when Fisher has gone we are going to be very thankful we have Roberton IMO.

I don't understand why you think you are an oracle and can already write off 3 players who haven't even really started their careers let alone established their viability. I'm not sure we could have predicted Fisher would become the player he did at the same stage. We didn't play many of our kids and now we need to play these guys into experienced players, way to early to write any of them off as potential champions as all have show great promise in their games so far and could be anything.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I don't understand why you think you are an oracle and can already write off 3 players who haven't even really started their careers let alone established their viability. I'm not sure we could have predicted Fisher would become the player he did at the same stage. We didn't play many of our kids and now we need to play these guys into experienced players, way to early to write any of them off as potential champions as all have show great promise in their games so far and could be anything.

Sorry but I didnt write them off I just think they will not a premier future defence. Gringo have you ever had an opinion about a player. The answer is yes.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote: No we cant. I think that proves where the club is at to be honest.

Sorry but I didnt write them off I just think they will not a premier future defence. Gringo have you ever had an opinion about a player. The answer is yes.

Yeah at about 50 games I wrote both Goddard and Blake off as complete duds who would be luck to make 100 games. I learned a lesson.

groupie1
Club Player

avid wrote:
Kernal75 wrote:Didn't we just resign him for another 3 years? Would seem a strange choice if the coaches don't see him in our best 22. I think they have an idea of playing him more through the middle this year so lets see where he fits!
He's been playing there through most of the pre-season, with a lot of energy and to pretty good effect. He cuts through, and wins the ball, and I think he's playing an important role. I wish he would/could kick with his right foot though.
Roberton, though, while I wish him well, doesn't seem to have anywhere near the same energy, or dash, presence as Gilbo. (And I haven't seen enough kicks to know whether he's much better kick than Gilbo anyway.)
For me, Gilbo's a long way ahead of Roberton at the moment.
Like Jones, Gilbo's got a big upside, and a big downside, and it's harder to put a clear value on him.
I'd like to see Gilbert tried as a tagger, otherwise other than a bit of physical presence in the midfield, I'm not sure he earns a place.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga