Where have the interstate functions gone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

andyc

Where have the interstate functions gone?

I am pretty disappointed - this is our second interstate trip this year and again no pre or post game function. These trips have traditionally provided me with the opportunity to meet local Saints supporters, chat with the odd injured player or board members (they seemed to stop sending members of the coaching staff a few years ago) and even bump into the odd retired Saint (a couple of years ago I meet Joffa in Brisbane and have meet both George Young and Nicky Winmar on trips to Perth). The club needs to get behind the local supporters groups to ensure that it is a big occasion when the Sainters come to town - I am sure the Western Saints will be doing just that in July.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Where have the interstate functions gone?

its a work in progress ... We are going to hold a pregame function for the Saints game in Perth because our members have indicated thats what they want , but as you can imagine due to the unavailablity of the players for these functions often these functions are not really well attended , the cost is often pretty high to put these things together so unless cost are covered it is often impossible to progress as all the supporter groups are run on a tight budget so operating at a loss will pretty much kill some of the suporter groups. you are right though the supporter group functions are a great way to connect with other saints fans

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:its a work in progress ... We are going to hold a pregame function for the Saints game in Perth because our members have indicated thats what they want , but as you can imagine due to the unavailablity of the players for these functions often these functions are not really well attended , the cost is often pretty high to put these things together so unless cost are covered it is often impossible to progress as all the supporter groups are run on a tight budget so operating at a loss will pretty much kill some of the suporter groups. you are right though the supporter group functions are a great way to connect with other saints fans
the training and bbq you guys held the day before was good last year, although the pre game functions are much better.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Surely the Club could offer something to help support the interstate groups. After all, many are paid-up members. Has anyone asked the Club to provide some support? It's worth asking the question.

If the Club doesn't invest something into these markets, support/memberships will inevitably fall away - it's called short term/lack of initiatve thinking.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:its a work in progress ... We are going to hold a pregame function for the Saints game in Perth because our members have indicated thats what they want , but as you can imagine due to the unavailablity of the players for these functions often these functions are not really well attended , the cost is often pretty high to put these things together so unless cost are covered it is often impossible to progress as all the supporter groups are run on a tight budget so operating at a loss will pretty much kill some of the suporter groups. you are right though the supporter group functions are a great way to connect with other saints fans
the training and bbq you guys held the day before was good last year, although the pre game functions are much better.
we were hog tied with that last year Dools we were set to go with the pregame function to happen only to have the function room tell us we couldnt have the room for the game ... threw a massive spanner in the works we looked pretty hard for an alternate venue but time was running out to quickly and with planning the BBQ training function it became an impossible task .. we are looking at doing the training session BBQ again this year as i think it was great fun for everyone but i think more effort will be on the pregame function

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Surely the Club could offer something to help support the interstate groups. After all, many are paid-up members. Has anyone asked the Club to provide some support? It's worth asking the question.

If the Club doesn't invest something into these markets, support/memberships will inevitably fall away - it's called short term/lack of initiatve thinking.
we do get support from the club in regards to giving us items to use as auction or raffle items to generate funds to run functions for instance for us in WA the mascot auction is a really big deal for us .. obviously we would all love more but considering where we have come from in the past the club do look after us supporter groups ...

maxdis 42
Club Player

Hope the bbq/training is on...kids loved it...!And also hope pre game function is on also...

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

the Pre-game function is locked it .. it would take a major issue for it to not happen ... the training session is in the hands of the club .. there is an open session for the fans for this weeks game so it should continue for our Perth game

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Count yourself lucky
We get a ten min speech from nettles after the game
And IF we are lucky a player might come up

Last time I saw players it was luke balls last season.
They catch an early flight home so its shower change bus.

Fantastic stuff.
Numpties

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Count yourself lucky
We get a ten min speech from nettles after the game
And IF we are lucky a player might come up

Last time I saw players it was luke balls last season.
They catch an early flight home so its shower change bus.

Fantastic stuff.
Numpties
yeah sorry mate but yours are pretty average, from memory last years got called off. Ashleigh said only 6 people had paid to go...i think the fact they were charging peope for last years functions turned a few off.
we always get sunday arvo games in Adelaide now so makes it even harder, we want a function, the players want to go home..its just not going to work out.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Its a tough one. The biggest problem for us in QLd is lack of support from Saints Supporters. Since Fox, our group has become very weak. St Kilda do their best, but it is hard with night games, recovery, media commitments etc. Generally they leave first flight the next day. After match functions are terrible with the drunks, I hate them. So what can you do......................

Qld Saints Supporter Group
andyc

Really appreciate your responses. I understand that the club no longer provides players and I appreciate the reasons why - times change and we all want the best preparation for our boys. (Nonetheless I suspect Scotty would be a bit more receptive to making an emergency player or assistant coach available pre or post match than our previous 'King Joffrey') Sometimes it is as simple as identifying a venue for supporters to meet pre game. Also, it is amazing how receptive past players are to attend these functions (when asked on stage why Nick Winmar hadn't attended previously he simply replied "they never asked me") Have had great times in Tassie, WA, SA, NSW and Qld and really appreciate all of the efforts that these groups put in. Just want to encourage everyone to keep up the enthusiasm. Look forward to catching up with you all when the Saints come to your town!!( ps pregame is always better for families and less drunks).

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah fox helps...but doesnt

if you get the point

great for those games you cant get to interstate etc

but then if its raining or you cant be assed then lazzyness kicks in and its easier to sit on the couch i guess

just the way it is :?

stinger
Saintsational Legend

andyc wrote:Really appreciate your responses. I understand that the club no longer provides players and I appreciate the reasons why - times change and we all want the best preparation for our boys. (Nonetheless I suspect Scotty would be a bit more receptive to making an emergency player or assistant coach available pre or post match than our previous 'King Joffrey') Sometimes it is as simple as identifying a venue for supporters to meet pre game. Also, it is amazing how receptive past players are to attend these functions (when asked on stage why Nick Winmar hadn't attended previously he simply replied "they never asked me") Have had great times in Tassie, WA, SA, NSW and Qld and really appreciate all of the efforts that these groups put in. Just want to encourage everyone to keep up the enthusiasm. Look forward to catching up with you all when the Saints come to your town!!( ps pregame is always better for families and less drunks).
the club actually provided two...three if you count the airport...for supporters to chat and get photos autographs etc from the players....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.