What's an acceptable loss vs Sydney?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

snowdelisaint
Club Player

Re: What's an acceptable loss vs Sydney?

The Bombers will finish below the Saints after being stripped of all points in August. Make no mistake.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

We might be a sneaky chance. Clubs have figured out Ben Reid is a one trick pony (saw it on footy classifieds so it must be true)

They will be scary once they get Tippett in their side though.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:We might be a sneaky chance. Clubs have figured out Ben Reid is a one trick pony (saw it on footy classifieds so it must be true)

They will be scary once they get Tippett in their side though.

I'm not so sure he will just walk in and be great- not often you change things up like that with out some adjustment. He's a great mark but so is Reid. Can see a Fev at Brissie situation if they aren't careful. Jerks often upset the fabric of clubs and getting him in and expecting instant results is fine but if he fails to perform while the rest of the team gets paid a quarter of what he does things could go down hill.

The swans have an ageing list and like us rely pretty heavily on old legs. I could see them falling away if they don't get a move on. They have a soft draw and all but you still have to win games not quarters.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Im not happy about it but I rate Tippet highly. Very good player. But yeah okeefe, bolton, goodes and rhys shaw are all on the wane or almost finished.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
BigMart wrote:I am going to pretend I didn't read the title of the thread!

Refuse to read the posts.

There is no acceptable loss this week. A win is what is acceptable. SW will not be satisfied with any other result, nor will the players.... Nor will I

I'll go a step further
I expect to win... In a close one
I agree totally, except for the close bit.
Some people are on my foe list but the problem is ya still have to read their shyte thread headings

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Within 5 goals will be a reasonable showing I'd say

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
matrix
Saintsational Legend

saints by 56

yeah yeah i know
im a numpty :roll:

stevie
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:A 20 point win.
f*** yeah!

What's with all this mother of all hidings crap that people spouting? Firstly, Shitney are not a team that usually spanks other teams( only the s*** ones).

Secondly, neither team has obviously played at this ground before so it will take a qtr or so for both to adjust to conditions, wind, the shape of the oval, etc.

Obviously I want the Sainters to fire up as win but I see this as a 50/50 game because of the circumstances.

I hope we come out and run through some of these Shitney shitkicker happy family wankers - Goodes( the ex scratcher and diver, Bumford, Kennedy, and whoever gets in the way)

I want to see Kosi take out pricks in packs and our crumbers get fuckng crumbing and nail goals.

Ok, rant over.

GO SAINTERS!!

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

The eventual premiers, eventual grand finalists and reigning premiers in 2012 all defeated us by between five to seven goals last year and they were our biggest losses under Scott Watters.

I expect to finish a lot closer than some here are expecting.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Hope we win but can't see it happening. I expect we will lose by about 5 goals. I just want to see young blokes getting a run and proving themselves

I love this club
1433davids
Club Player

An acceptiable lose is not the mindset that the players are going over there with I hope. Sydney are not in great form, and if our coach can stop playing favorites and acctually make a few changes in the game when needed (his coaching is as bad as my spelling) we should be in good shape.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I always go to games with a "we can win if we play well" attitude - or it's not worth going to the footy. I then take things quarter by quarter.

As long as the effort is there and there are "minimal" delivery shanks, then a potential loss is easier to handle. A loss of more than 5 goals would cause me much angst.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Pretty depressing when it's round five and we are discussing loss margins, but that is where we are at.

It's going to be a long season with not a lot of light at the end of the tunnel, but, hey, I survived the 80s.
The 80s were a bottomless pit and St.Kilda was absolutely disgraceful. No wonder Jeans farked off to Hawthorn.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

There is no such thing as an accptable loss. There are wins and there are losses. There is an acceptable standard of effort.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Moorabbin Man
Club Player

THERE ARE NO ACCEPTABLE LOSSES!

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

its strange .. what does not acceptable mean ? does it mean if we get royally flogged that we start calling for heads ? does it mean we tear up our memberships ? say for instance we get flogged by 100 points by a stronger more competitve side is that not acceptable ? after all they are stronger and more competitive ?!? we are in rebuild mode so we will cop some big losses we will play some good footy but the over all eye is on the future ... to me honestly the final score means little its either win or lose we either take home the points or we dont ... acceptable margins what happens if Sydney play the worst game of the year andwe play the ho hum type of game yet we lose by a point does that make it better than say the Swans playing the best game of their lives and us playing ho hum with them beating us by 100?

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Moorabbin Man wrote:THERE ARE NO ACCEPTABLE LOSSES!
all losses are acceptable other wise every club would have no supporters ... if we get flogged ill still support the team next week ill be disapointed by the loss but ill acept it and move on and hope for a better showing next week

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
SinCitySainter
Club Player

ACTUALLY THERE ARE ACCEPTABLE LOSSES.

Any loss is acceptable it is performance that can be either acceptable or not.
If we go out there and play to our best and the players all give 100 % but we are still beaten by a better team, then that is acceptable.
If however we half arse it and don't give it our all then that is unacceptable regardless of the result.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:
ACTUALLY THERE ARE ACCEPTABLE LOSSES.

Any loss is acceptable it is performance that can be either acceptable or not.
If we go out there and play to our best and the players all give 100 % but we are still beaten by a better team, then that is acceptable.
If however we half arse it and don't give it our all then that is unacceptable regardless of the result.
Spot on.

It's a shame a few numpties on here don't get that basic point.

Glad to hear I'm on Scollop's foe list, does anyone else want to add me?

Go ahead.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Agreed. However when you are clearly outgunned like last week, you can still get positives out of a loss.

Not last week mind you, I think the score flattered us.

If we happen to get beaten and have put in a four quarter effort, I wont be happy, but will be encouraged.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

No loss is ever acceptable!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I think it's sad that historically its the first time points have been played for outside the country and we're going to get forever remembered as the losing team. Just another sad stat to pile onto our already dismal past.

I think it'll be roughly 5-6 goals against us tomorrow. Hopefully (and I'm always hopeful) we can produce a miraculous upset.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
PJ
SS Life Member

The coin toss

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:The coin toss
However, we have done well on that front this year. In fact, we may have won all four.

70s sainter
Club Player

Verdun66 wrote:
felix wrote:For the conspiracy theorists out there , the afl will want stkilda to do well in Wellington so it will be a close game saints by bag of hand knitted woollen beanies or in other words a goal . Wellington will love it and be hooked on footy .
Yes. If it was a conspiracy like many believe we will get every dodgy free going and the Swans frees ignored. Let's see!

Then maybe they wouldnt have fixtured only a five day break for the saints copmapered to the swans six ,when we re the ones that organised it and are flying the afls flag in N.Z.
If either ess or coll got an extra day the other club would rag up a treat and it would be considered sacrilege for "the second grand final"
W@#kers