Final Team vs Sydney

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Final Team vs Sydney

On paper this is the worst St Kilda side in at least 5 years

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
dragit
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:On paper this is the worst St Kilda side in at least 5 years
No, that was last week, hands down.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Last Week's team should have all got the sack except for Jones and Geary

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Good side plenty of pace and added two midfielders which is fantastic. Kosi in is also a good inclusion far better than Maister.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Uncle Barrels
Club Player

Posted this in the other thread....

TDL staying in is a tad mystifying. Although I dont think he was quite as bad as some have made out.

Scotty seems to be fond of playing ducks and drakes though; says yesterday Kosi is basically no chance, yet there he is on the pine!

EDIT: Forecast is for 9* and 'very windy' and we want Kosi IN?!!!

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Ross is smallish compared to guys like Haneberry. He looked like a junior burger versus the big macs last week, so I'm not sure if wet conditions will necessarily help him. However, I really hope you're right SuperDuper.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

A "BIG" Challenge for Kosi. Needs to perform to hold his spot in the side. I hope he performs that well that the selectors (and the anti/fans) are left with no choice but to accept/place him in the side for the next few weeks. 6 goals in a winning side should be enough !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

falka
Club Player

Watts the Buzz wrote:
falka wrote:If Dennis lane is sub I will cry :cry:
If Dennis Lane is NOT sub I will cry
Must just be my memories in Rd 1 where he came on for a grand total of 0 possessions.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Agree I think it is over the top, too many young players. Don't mind the Kosi selection though.

Would rather see the young guys getting a go. What's the point of hanging on to players like Kosi? When there's a young alternative available, play them. We're not going to be challenging or playing finals this year, so can't see the point in playing guys who are past it.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

As with every week I will be barracking at full pace. But I worry that by picking all these kids at once is going over the top. It is wonderful to blood them, but surely we need a balance and structure as to what we are trying to do.

So this is where I question Watters, last week 4 small forwards so obviously a specific game plan, we lose two which would allude to another plan. Lets have a structure/plan and stick to it.
I also fear for McEvoy, he is solid player, but surely against teams like Ess and Syd with two big rucks he needs proper support

Scott let us see a game plan, that even if we don't win, shows us what you are about

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:A "BIG" Challenge for Kosi. Needs to perform to hold his spot in the side. I hope he performs that well that the selectors (and the anti/fans) are left with no choice but to accept/place him in the side for the next few weeks. 6 goals in a winning side should be enough !!
If Kosi kicks 3 it would be a miracle, not that he's kicked 3 goals, but he got 3 kicks!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I am super excited, it's a very inexperienced team, but really, there isn't a lot of (fit) talented mature bodies sitting in the stands.

I didn't have Kosi & TDL in my ins & outs, but genuinely hope they both have awesome games.

Carn saints!

saintbob
SS Life Member

Surely Siposs come in as a late change for TDL

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Looks like a NAB Cup team....

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:On paper this is the worst St Kilda side in at least 5 years
:o

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

A few debutants, a few with under 10 games experience and quite a few who butcher the ball...

Why do we think we are so much better than the Bulldogs, is it because of what out ageing star players have done over their journey....

As we evolve we may well end up paralleling the Dogs, or worse, trailing them if our recruiting is still ordinary....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

st.byron wrote:I suppose Kosi is in as back-up for Big Ben. Disappointed with this selection. Would rather see Hickey get a go. Can't see the point of playing Koschitzke.
How about Hickey would be backing up after four days?

Sometimes it's about managing the player.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
PJ
SS Life Member

The 4 small forwards structure would be based on having 4 small forwards that are up to it and can deliver wins. Clearly they haven't so move to 2 small forwards a resting mid with a medium lead up - not sure what's so confusing about that. People asking what the plan is are assuming we have a plan A and are working just on that - 1 dimensional thinking. We also need to find out what our list can do.

Kosi in is no brainer on 2 fronts 1/you're going to include debutants 2/ Ben needs the help. Surely you wouldn't put in Hickey with Saunders and Murdoch - Hickey currently is about a 4 to 5 possession player. That 10 goal loss would definately blow out to a 15 goal loss.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The thing about the Kosi in recent years is he does play about 4 good games a year. So we just need to remember that.
Manage him smartly and try for 6 good games from him for the year.

What we usually do is get 3 or 4 good games out of him and then he plays for the next 12 weeks and gets gradually worse as his body wears out and he just becomes a witches hat with a saints jumper on.

This is why opinions on Kosi are so divided on this forum. Half of us remember the 4 good games a year and forget the rest. The other half of us remember his 12 stinkers a year and forget his 4 good games....

Lets play him this week - and them give him a freshen up with a week off and we can play Hickey for a few weeks..

The big kos really needs 10 day breaks.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 24 Apr 2013 11:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Good to have young kids but way over the top IMO. 2 of the those kids are off a 4 day break. How unfair is that. One will obviously be sub but that side is going to really struggle. Siposs had to play. he is obviously fit or he wouldnt be over there. And then we pick all young guys and still play Kosi. Call me a cab this one is over. Sorry for being negative but I am confused.
It's not negative but realistic.

There will be a late change or two.

If Siposs is fit he should play.

Kosi does not deserve a gig.

One of Saunders or Murdoch but not both.

Selections very weird so expected 2 late changes.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:The thing about the Kosi in recent years is he does play about 4 good games a year. So we just need to remember that.
Manage him smartly and try for 6 good games from him for the year.

What we usually do is get 3 or 4 good games out of him and then he plays for the next 12 weeks and gets gradually worse as his body wears out and he just becomes a witches hat with a saints jumper on.

This is why opinions on Kosi are so divided on this forum. Half of us remember the 4 good games a year and forget the rest. The other half of us remember his 12 stinkers a year and forget his 4 good games....

Lets play him this week - and them give him a freshen up with a week off and we can play Hickey for a few weeks..
You may have nailed it. Maybe Kosi will get 2 or 3 goals and 5 or 6 touches. That's a pass mark for the big fella.

But if he got stats like that, I reckon SW would be tempted to play him the following week.

But I prefer him as novelty value like you allude to.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Siposs late change for Murdoch perhaps?

sainterinsydney
Club Player

This is a much better team. We are going to see young players getting a go on the big stage. I have no problems with St Kilda losing as long as we play with heart and try our guts out. There is no shame in losing to a better team. All we want from this team is to see some promise for the future.

Greg T
Club Player

3rd generation saint wrote:Kosi will obviously play back up ruck and be planted in the goal square, why some here may be disappointed in his selection, let's hope he has a good game.
All the best for the debutants. think Stanley will go down back to CHB, or FB.
Love the Kosi man,he still has a bit to offer our club.no need for head kicking.
Stanley is a gun to come ,good comments mate

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
PJ
SS Life Member

How the frock is Dempster playing? Will we see the Lecras forearm brace?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.