Daniel Rich!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Daniel Rich!!!

dragit wrote:How many of his games have you watched this year Con?
I watch a fair bit of footy.
And hed easily be in our best 22. So if a guy is 22yo and in our best 22. Then that improves our list.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:Rich is not what we need

We need to recruit A-graders and not Rich
Great but who and how?
Free agents, trading to bring in talent.

Speeding up the process.

Rich will not give us enough compared to where we want to go
Name names.

People are all great at bagging everyone but not so great at better alternatives.

Instead they prefer to believe in the 'fantasy recruit'

The idea that some super gun is going to wake up one morning and declare their undying love for the Saints.
The fantasy that Dangerfield or Pendlebury are going to sneak in to Seaford one moonlit night.

So really name me one player on the planet - better than Rich and under 25 who we have any realistic chance of getting.

Just 1.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
dragit wrote:How many of his games have you watched this year Con?
I watch a fair bit of footy.
And hed easily be in our best 22. So if a guy is 22yo and in our best 22. Then that improves our list.
Cool, but you didn't answer my question bro… how many of his games have you seen this year? What I have seen is very ordinary… has barely improved in 4 years approaching 100 games.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I think he could be good for the right price. Yes we need an A grader, more realistically we need an A grader in 4 years. He is the right age for that, still a year or 2 younger than our next batch after the veterens (Steven, Armo, McEvoy, Geary). As Con says, it's easy to say there must be a better option but it's never that easy. There is never a safe option that will work out no matter what.

Think we could end up with either Rich or Watts after this season.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Daniel Rich is currently out of contract.

Daniel Rich is from Subiaco

Scott Watters coached Daniel Rich at Subiaco in back to back premierships.

Things cant be happy up at Brisbane

We have a sh*tload of room in our salary cap and are desperate for a midfielder (or 3)

I know its a dream - BUT MAKE IT HAPPEN SAINTS

Hes definitely Captain material

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/brisba ... 6634297788
TDL played under Watters sometime in his career....let's not get too carried away with that line of thinking......

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
SaintTom
Club Player

The Redeemer wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
Great but who and how?
Free agents, trading to bring in talent.

Speeding up the process.

Rich will not give us enough compared to where we want to go
Name names.

People are all great at bagging everyone but not so great at better alternatives.

Instead they prefer to believe in the 'fantasy recruit'

The idea that some super gun is going to wake up one morning and declare their undying love for the Saints.
The fantasy that Dangerfield or Pendlebury are going to sneak in to Seaford one moonlit night.

So really name me one player on the planet - better than Rich and under 25 who we have any realistic chance of getting.

Just 1.
Dyson Heppell. Not saying we're likely to get him, but we're just as likely (if not more likely) to get him than we are Rich. Essendon have cap issues, we don't have to try and lure him interstate, if Essendon are found guilty and appropriately punished then they'll be set back years and there might be more than one player that wants out if that's the case. Plus, we're probably more likely to go for him as he's a better player.

Not against going for Rich though, but both are extremely unlikely to end up at the Saints.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I do like the sound of Heppell!

He is out of contract. But why would the Bombers have cap issues? They havent played finals in 10 years and why would he come to us? he might be pissed off with Bombers over peptides but why would he come to us over say the blues?

Rich is the right age and has connections with our coach and hes already interstate cos qld is not home.

Add to that - the lions have been atrocious and I suspect all isnt well up there. Maybe he hates the coach?

i reckon hed be good for us. I know hes a man child and peaked early in life but so do many footy player. Im not saying hes the best player out there - but hell be real solid for 5 or 6 years.

I just think realistically you are only going to recruit a player from an unhappy club. Happy players dont move.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Rich would be a perfect fit. High priority target.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Beekay
SS Life Member

Happy to sign a free agent who is a gun midfielder or defender (and under 27).

Not happy to trade any picks.

Brisbane would want at least two picks. Our first is off limits. Our next two wouldn't satisfy Brissie.

I have a feeling (maybe just hope) that we have picked up some very well balanced and talented kids in the last few years, and if we held on to all our picks this year (or gained as much as possible) we could really capitalise if we had another astute (perhaps lucky) stroke of selections. Three drafts in a row, resulting in 8-10 players that will be 100+ gamers for us, would be a fantastic effort.

SaintTom
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I do like the sound of Heppell!

He is out of contract. But why would the Bombers have cap issues? They havent played finals in 10 years and why would he come to us? he might be pissed off with Bombers over peptides but why would he come to us over say the blues?

Rich is the right age and has connections with our coach and hes already interstate cos qld is not home.

Add to that - the lions have been atrocious and I suspect all isnt well up there. Maybe he hates the coach?

i reckon hed be good for us. I know hes a man child and peaked early in life but so do many footy player. Im not saying hes the best player out there - but hell be real solid for 5 or 6 years.

I just think realistically you are only going to recruit a player from an unhappy club. Happy players dont move.
I read an article century that said that Essendon were potentially going to have to lose a player or two to keep Heppell considering how much money he's demanding. Throwing the amount of money it would have taken to lure Goddard is probably part of the reason. Say he is disgruntled due to the peptides, he has no reason to go to us than he does to any of the other clubs that have cap room and can offer enormous money like we can in a front loaded contract. Haven't Carlton set their priority on a gun forward though? And which other melbourne club can afford to throw the money at him?

groupie1
Club Player

he's not had the best of years... but that may reduce his market pull. I reckon WCE is loaded with runners who give us size and experience.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Rory Sloane is another good player that we won't be able to get...

PurpleHayes
Club Player

Jeremy Cameron anyone? Not originally from NSW.

I'd imagine GWS would be able to match any amount of cash we could throw at him.

But nothing wrong with driving up his price so we can have a crack at GWS midfielders!

sippo
Club Player

Take this form a Cats supporter, there are a couple of highly talented kids eardsley and Burbury, who would walk into most other afl sides, i think they are both rookies too.

Fazer
Club Player

I don't know if he has been mentioned before but Colin Sylvia would be an awesome aquisition IMO. Can win his own ball, or play outside, strong overhead for his size, proven midfield goal kicker, not happy at the Dees and I think is a free agent next year (happy to be corrected on that last point)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

sippo wrote:Take this form a Cats supporter, there are a couple of highly talented kids eardsley and Burbury, who would walk into most other afl sides, i think they are both rookies too.
Cameron Eardley - sounds like a goer. Hed probably get a game for the Saints. But then again Tom Curren racked up similar stats in the VFL all of last year and is still a rookie for us so Id have to see him play to compare...
But well worth watching
http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/art ... ws_pf.html

Look - saints need 3 or 4 really food midfielders under the age of 22.

Im not saying Rich will be some saviour - people hanging out for some huge 'saviour' like Dangerfield need to get over it.
We need 5 blokes - if we can snag Rich in a decent deal we should go for it. But we just need to trade and draft smart in the next 2 years.

And dont give up our high pick unless it is for an established star (which wont happen). If we use pick 6 on the best midfield kid we can find in the country thats a nice start.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Rich taken with pick 7, I reckon they'd want a similar pick in a trade, considering he's had 5 years of development.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we should target Michael Voss as an assistant Coach for our midfield...more than likely will be sacked before the end of the year if the Lions don't turn their season around, and soon.

We have a Voss connection at the Saints so maybe he might be interested in coming to the Saints if he is given the bullet.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
sippo wrote:Take this form a Cats supporter, there are a couple of highly talented kids eardsley and Burbury, who would walk into most other afl sides, i think they are
dragit wrote:Rich taken with pick 7, I reckon they'd want a similar pick in a trade, considering he's had 5 years of development.
Maybe. But we didn't exactly get a pick 2 in return for Luke ball.

We didn't get a first rounder for tom lynch.
We went backwards on cripps.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:I reckon we should target Michael Voss as an assistant Coach for our midfield...more than likely will be sacked before the end of the year if the Lions don't turn their season around, and soon.

We have a Voss connection at the Saints so maybe he might be interested in coming to the Saints if he is given the bullet.
I know you are being funny.
But coaching a kid to two flags is a fairly decent relationship you might think.
I just think it's worth exploring. Maybe rich is happy there.
Maybe he is desperate to leave. I just think under the circs it's worth exploring.
Doesn't seem like all is well in vossland.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Don't worry Con. We will go after him big time.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
loris
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:Rory Sloane is another good player that we won't be able to get...
More's the pity....................... and he was a Saints supporter until he was drafted :( :( :(

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
dragit wrote:Rory Sloane is another good player that we won't be able to get...
More's the pity....................... and he was a Saints supporter until he was drafted :( :( :(
Hed be perfect at our club

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well Heppell is off the table

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah
so is sloaney

shame
love sloaney