The Melbourne Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Melbourne Saints

Saints43 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Saints43 wrote:What a coup it would be to get those supporters who yell at the players going down the race and wave white flags to get themselves on TV.
I would fully expect EVERY club in their situation to have supporters doing the same.

Regardless of how shambolicly the club is run, the players are gutless and not giving anywhere near their all.
Yeah, they're the first club to be a shambles and have dispirited players.
I have never seen St Kilda supporters - en masse - acting like that. And I could probably make a case that we have performed below expectation on and off the field in the past. Probably.

Anyone who acts like that at the race and not at the players exit outside the ground is a self important coward. I can't believe you reckon people should act like that.
Every club would have supporters like that if they were going as bad as Melbourne. Idiots just want to get on TV. Some of them probably arent even Melbourne supporters.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone remember the Ox coming off the ground at Geelong in the 90's and some clown said something to him that obviously upset him, he grabbed the clown by his scarf or collar and shook the s.hit out of him.

The clown, as would most of these hero's who think it is good to do it, or actually does it, s.hit himself and looked like a complete and utter fool.

Ox should have belted the gutless p.rick.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I haven't seen anything quite like the Demons in my time.

They are zombie like, I mean, GC had 150 more possessions....so there was opportunity to tackle. They just motor around in this daze, it's very odd.

Viney, Howe and Jones get a tick...that's about all.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I haven't seen anything quite like the Demons in my time.

They are zombie like, I mean, GC had 150 more possessions....so there was opportunity to tackle. They just motor around in this daze, it's very odd.

Harsh on Gawn. he has done very well since coming back from a reconstruction. I can honestly say we were as bad in the 80's.

Skildir
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
markp wrote:
ausfatcat wrote: Say the did win a premiership in the near future would it be the Saints 2nd premiership ever or the Melbourne's 13th ?
Neither. I'd rather relocate.
4 games in NZ by 2017 and we will be half way there.
Good skiing conditions in NZ...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
SainterK wrote:I haven't seen anything quite like the Demons in my time.

Harsh on Gawn. he has done very well since coming back from a reconstruction. I can honestly say we were as bad in the 80's.
Forgot Gawn, he has been very good also.

Can't remember much of the eighties, guess it's a good thing.

oh when the
Club Player

I have thought about mergers years ago - stkilda, bulldogs, demons and north - call Victoria United - with 18 flags.

I love the aaints and have only missed eight games in vic in 45 years so i don't know how i would feel - don't howl me down for my thoughts.

markp
Saintsational Legend

oh when the wrote:I have thought about mergers years ago - stkilda, bulldogs, demons and north - call Victoria United
Or Victoria Bitter?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Skildir wrote: Good skiing conditions in NZ...
Dal would love it! :wink: :P

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

I would take a relocation over with a few games a year in Melbourne over a merger with MFC, or bullies or north. That way we keep our history and heritage even thou it aint that great, it's ours it's the saints.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:Melbourne are the biggest rabble in AFL (post 1990) history.
Don't remember the last couple of years of Fitzroy? Now that was a rabble ...

Melbourne will have to work a bit harder at it to plumb those depths.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Haven't read the whole thread but get the gist from the thread title and have had a brief think about it and I'm not sure I would be too opposed to it.

I reckon you could put together a pretty strong club with a very long term future if you merged two clubs. It made Brisbane a very strong club and set up AFL in a non AFL state and I can only imagine what could be achieved if it was done in footy mad state like Victoria.

As I said haven't put too much thought into it and would probably be against if I thought we would lose any of our identity or history. The Lions seemed to manage that reasonably well though.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

i have always felt that eventually there will be a need for an NT team and a Tassie team .. give it a generation and it quiet possibly will happen that two of the bulldogs North Us and the Dees will be located in the NT or Tassie - one team will be merged with GWS and one will prob just fold ... not ideal but prob closer to the vission the AFL have for the comp in say 25 years time .

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

To my way of thinking there’s about four scenarios in regards to the future of our club. Everyone’s got different views on these things but for me I would rank those scenarios in order of preference as:

1. Continue to operate as St Kilda and be based in Victoria,

2. Merge with another Victorian club with the retention of either St Kilda or Saints and with retention of our colours,

3. Relocate but continue to be the Saints and to wear the Red, White & Black,

4. Merge with another Victorian club with retention of either St Kilda or Saints but with the loss of our colours.

If worse came to worst and we ended up with scenario 2 then I would probably continue to support the club pretty much as I do now.

If it were scenario 3 then I’d continue to follow the club but I suspect my enthusiasm would start to wane over time.

But if it were scenario 4 then I think I’d really struggle to maintain an interest in following the AFL.

Like I said; we’re all different.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Haven't read the whole thread but get the gist from the thread title and have had a brief think about it and I'm not sure I would be too opposed to it.

I reckon you could put together a pretty strong club with a very long term future if you merged two clubs. It made Brisbane a very strong club and set up AFL in a non AFL state and I can only imagine what could be achieved if it was done in footy mad state like Victoria.

As I said haven't put too much thought into it and would probably be against if I thought we would lose any of our identity or history. The Lions seemed to manage that reasonably well though.
im not sold that two Vic clubs merging would work honestly your talking about generations of rivalry some how joining and becoming one happy unit ?!?! cant see it working not without scrapping all the history and starting fresh ... but merging with a non-victorian club who hasnt really build a history of its own therefore allowing a club to accept the vics club history as their own and just tacking their short history to the back end worked well for the Brions ... GWS i reckon is going to be that prime target for merger .. imagine the GWS Bulldogs ?

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:To my way of thinking there’s about four scenarios in regards to the future of our club. Everyone’s got different views on these things but for me I would rank those scenarios in order of preference as:

1. Continue to operate as St Kilda and be based in Victoria,

2. Merge with another Victorian club with the retention of either St Kilda or Saints and with retention of our colours,

3. Relocate but continue to be the Saints and to wear the Red, White & Black,

4. Merge with another Victorian club with retention of either St Kilda or Saints but with the loss of our colours.

If worse came to worst and we ended up with scenario 2 then I would probably continue to support the club pretty much as I do now.

If it were scenario 3 then I’d continue to follow the club but I suspect my enthusiasm would start to wane over time.

But if it were scenario 4 then I think I’d really struggle to maintain an interest in following the AFL.

Like I said; we’re all different.
if scenario 3 were to happen i dont think it would change much at all about how i follow the team honestly we are called St Kilda but we havent been based in St Kilda for years .. maybe its easier for me as a WA based saints supporter but it the saints relocated to say Tassie , NT or even NZ but pretty much kept their identity the colours the name and the history then i couldnt see much changing for me honestly

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

no... just no...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Darwin Dees would be alright.

And Nth should have gone to the Gold Coast.

I think the Saints will be ok... just.... the elephant in the room on Saintsational - is that regardless of facts or who did what or right and wrong - the public perceptions about our off field indiscretions with females have really hurt our club on the sponsorship side.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

In a heart beat!

Dees would not do it though

kos
Club Player

Absolute joke this thread even exists! What's wrong with u people? Do u think Geelong supporters in their spare time imagine what it would be like if they merged with the bulldogs!
Try having a positive winning mentality, we've had a good crack at it, this year we will develop, draft early and reboot for another crack at it.
Piss the thread off!

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

WTF is this thread and some of the utter cr@p posted in it.... People actually would consider a merger??! No wonder there is no atmosphere at our games anymore when some of you are so called die hards and are thinking like this.

Never, I repeat never, will or should we consider merging or relocating under any circumstance whatsoever. We are the stkilda.f.c, and have been for 140 years, and will be for another 140 hopefully. Go follow gws, or the suns

Bring back the Lockett era
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm...

Rename to the St.Kilda City Saints
Our colors, their away jumper
Our song
Their stadium deal
Take their top 10 players
Add the letters MFC to our emblem/jumper
Sing their song after ours

I'd take that

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Last night here in the UK I was thinking about posting the same thing. Not the Melbourne Saints, but I was thinking this must end in a merger opportunity. Melbourne are gone. In jest someone said since Norm Smith got the sack, but not far off it. Joe Gutnick etc, etc. They had a brief period where they had an ok side.

Play at the G, lots of new players, draft picks (?), financial incentives. A new super club. Based up in town....

I am not sold if we lose most of our identity, and they are the basket-case, not us. Having said that, we are not overly endowed either.

Upsides would outweigh the downsides surely. I am greedy for success, and this might be a way.

Worth looking at. If the dogs, kangas or carlscum got there first we would be screaming...

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:Upsides would outweigh the downsides surely. I am greedy for success, and this might be a way.
See your name?, there would be no "66" we would take on Melbourne's heritage probably and the saints history would be a foot note in Wikipedia, if your desperate for success go barrack for the team winning in the Grandfinal with 5 mins to go, I would get the same satisfaction thrills out of that as a Melbourne Saints fan, espeacially with all the after game arguing with your own supporters over how many premierships have been won by the side. 2?, 13?, 14?

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:WTF is this thread and some of the utter cr@p posted in it.... People actually would consider a merger??! No wonder there is no atmosphere at our games anymore when some of you are so called die hards and are thinking like this.

Never, I repeat never, will or should we consider merging or relocating under any circumstance whatsoever. We are the stkilda.f.c, and have been for 140 years, and will be for another 140 hopefully. Go follow gws, or the suns
you need to calm down i dont think anyone is realistically talking up a merger but the point does remain in the long term there is a strong chance one or two of the four teams mentioned will either not exist or be relocated ... as it stands we are a well way infront of North WB and the Dees in regards to how our club is run and the finances our club have at hand but we are still a long way off the so called "safe" teams ...