Demons, Bulldogs, are we next?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Demons, Bulldogs, are we next?

The Demons have been scathed by the media, last week it was the Bulldogs, which didn't do us any favours, are we next?
Highlight the things most of us already know, the poor recruiting and development of players between 2007-2011.
Interesting how there is silence on one team, which I believe is the worse professional sports team I have ever seen, has escaped scrutiny.
GWS, an absolute disaster, if the Adelaide game was an indicator, I believe the few who actually turned up yesterday will measure up smaller than VFL games we will get here today in Melbourne.
At this rate, I reckon they will be lucky to last the decade in their current form. They will not attract any decent players, because nobody wants to go there. There will be an exodus of the kids they recruited, some of whom I suspect their careers have been ruined by playing for such an uncompetitive side.
Gold Coast will succeed because they will attract good players, and as they become successful, bigger crowds, all because of the location and lifestyle.
A Tasmanian team made a lot more sense, they had the sponsorship, would have easily got 30,000 plus members, and would have had a much better team because ex Tasmanians would want to go back and play for the team.
The AFL, and that includes us, may pay very heavily for what I see as their arrogance regarding the setting up of this team.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Demons, Bulldogs, are we next?

A Tasmanian team would make less money that A GWS team. pretty much proven by the TV revenue increase when many said the money wouldnt increase. tasmania have it right at the moment. 2 sides player there over about 7 weeks. The only way a team will start in Tassy in the next 20 years is if a side relocates over there.

GWS will attract decent players and will improve quickly once they do start improving and that will happen in the next year or two. i think GC had a similar record this time last year and now are a better side than about 6 sides. it happens quickly once it happens. Look at us at the end on 2003.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

As the weeks progress I love it more wrt GWS

The gave away 5000 complimentary tickets 2 weeks ago.... Not nearly all were even used... Only 7000 even turned up.

Given some members, there would have been probably no paying spectators.... It's hilarious.

GC has had 4 wins this year I think.... They will win 5 for the year and are extremely lucky there are some disgusting teams, caused by their introduction.

Both teams are going to drain the AFL for years, and when they succeed because of prop ups it will be a hollow, unappreciated victory whilst long suffering WB, StK and yes Tasmanian fan become more disenfranchised.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:As the weeks progress I love it more wrt GWS

The gave away 5000 complimentary tickets 2 weeks ago.... Not nearly all were even used... Only 7000 even turned up.

Given some members, there would have been probably no paying spectators.... It's hilarious.

GC has had 4 wins this year I think.... They will win 5 for the year and are extremely lucky there are some disgusting teams, caused by their introduction.

Both teams are going to drain the AFL for years, and when they succeed because of prop ups it will be a hollow, unappreciated victory whilst long suffering WB, StK and yes Tasmanian fan become more disenfranchised.

So lets get this straight. i state that has never had an AFL team but now has 6 or 7 games a year will get more disenfranchised because of GWS and the GC. Why and what are they then going to do. Not go to a Hawks game because GWS and GC are spending to much of the AFL money. That makes no sense at all.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Excellent....

Why didn't I know this years ago?!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Excellent....

Why didn't I know this years ago?!

I dont agree.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:A Tasmanian team would make less money that A GWS team. pretty much proven by the TV revenue increase when many said the money wouldnt increase. tasmania have it right at the moment. 2 sides player there over about 7 weeks. The only way a team will start in Tassy in the next 20 years is if a side relocates over there.

GWS will attract decent players and will improve quickly once they do start improving and that will happen in the next year or two. i think GC had a similar record this time last year and now are a better side than about 6 sides. it happens quickly once it happens. Look at us at the end on 2003.
The big difference between Gold Coast and GWS is that bald guy running around racking up 30 odd possessions a game. The other difference is that Gold Coast's other experienced players they attracted to begin with them are heads and shoulders better in quality than anyone GWS got a hold of.
I can guarantee you that if GWS had started before Gold Coast, they would have never have been able to attract Ablett to their team.
Lifestyle on the Gold Coast beats lifestyle in Western Sydney by the same margin that GWS is getting beaten by every week.
It is rumoured in the press that they will have a big go at trying to lure Buddy to them at years end. I believe they have as much chance of doing that as they had of getting Goddard last year.
Why would Buddy go, even for the pay package it wouldn't be worth it. However if Gold Coast made the same offer, he'd pick Gold Coast every day of the week.
I read in the press somewhere that Melbourne were looking Fitzroy in 1996, if that is so, GWS is looking more like University, a very short lived, waste of money club.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:A Tasmanian team would make less money that A GWS team. pretty much proven by the TV revenue increase when many said the money wouldnt increase. tasmania have it right at the moment. 2 sides player there over about 7 weeks. The only way a team will start in Tassy in the next 20 years is if a side relocates over there.

The big difference between Gold Coast and GWS is that bald guy running around racking up 30 odd possessions a game. The other difference is that Gold Coast's other experienced players they attracted to begin with them are heads and shoulders better in quality than anyone GWS got a hold of.
I can guarantee you that if GWS had started before Gold Coast, they would have never have been able to attract Ablett to their team.
Lifestyle on the Gold Coast beats lifestyle in Western Sydney by the same margin that GWS is getting beaten by every week.
It is rumoured in the press that they will have a big go at trying to lure Buddy to them at years end. I believe they have as much chance of doing that as they had of getting Goddard last year.
Why would Buddy go, even for the pay package it wouldn't be worth it. However if Gold Coast made the same offer, he'd pick Gold Coast every day of the week.
I read in the press somewhere that Melbourne were looking Fitzroy in 1996, if that is so, GWS is looking more like University, a very short lived, waste of money club.

They play in western Sydney but most live right near the harbour. That doesnt seem a bad location to me. GWS will be a very good side as soon as the players play a couple of more years unless they cant develop players.

nw7
Club Player

We should be under the pump this week, we were just terrible. The Bulldogs tried as hard as they could, and came away with an unlikely win. The worst part of the night for me was our effort was just terrible and when we did manage to get the ball in our hands our disposal and decision-making was the worst I have seen in many years. Watters has lost all the run out of the backline we had with Wright and Gilbert being out and playing Dempster, Gwilt and Fisher together. I hope the whole club is scrutinised I am sick of the soft response to such bad performances by the coach, players and club; even though we are rebuilding we shouldn't accept that crap.

Majority
Club Player

I laugh at people who believe that living in the west of Sydney is like living in a third world country.
Parts of it are not perfect, but most of it is ok.
I lived in Parramatta and Burwood for a few years and would happily return.
I also lived in a few suburbs on the North Shore, and enjoyed that no more than the so called poorer suburbs.
Ok , Manly was fabulous, but it is a special place.
The area I would not recommend is the south west of Sydney, Bankstown, Marrickville and Milperra come to mind.
Racism is alive there with first generation Australians thinking that their parents country and culture is superior.
Most of them are too young to know better.
They should celebrate their family background and also the Australian culture, it is the country that they were born in.
But I guess they are no less ignorant than the Melbournians that believe that Greater Western Sydney is not a nice place.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Hutchy the flog on the SFS this morning suggested that the AFL cant afford to haev GWS getting flogged like this every week and that the AFL should step in and offer them additional assistance to be more competitive more quickly

Fortunately the rest of the panel disagreed with him. AFL lap dog that he is.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

GWS are much worse than Gold Coast were last year, and if they cannot attract a couple of decent experienced players to their side in the off season, the club is in serious trouble, as is the AFL, because it is just becoming a black hole on the AFL finances.
So far, they have not got any really good experienced role models for their young players to follow and I wouldn't be surprised to see a fairly sizable exodus of those early draft picks wanting out at the end of the season.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

People who have never been to GWS just don't get it.... I suggest visit for a few days to get some perspective

White guys and Kiwis are many generations Rugby League living in RL heartland...

The other two million are many more generation Soccer.... With a Soccer team to compete with, and 3 rugby league teams.... They are farked.... And I love it

90% of the people out there hate AFL, 9% don't even know what it is.... The others are playing or coaching GWS...

I'd love it to be explained to me, how TV revenue is any different because GWS are in, but d**khead is on my foe list so ill Go with reality......It's about games on air total... 9 ATM
Whether its Darwin, Canberra (where GWS will end up), Tassie or anywhere doesn't matter.... The pay for a certain amount of games
The fact no one watches HWS games, would actually be hurting.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:People who have never been to GWS just don't get it.... I suggest visit for a few days to get some perspective

White guys and Kiwis are many generations Rugby League living in RL heartland...

The other two million are many more generation Soccer.... With a Soccer team to compete with, and 3 rugby league teams.... They are farked.... And I love it

90% of the people out there hate AFL, 9% don't even know what it is.... The others are playing or coaching GWS...

I'd love it to be explained to me, how TV revenue is any different because GWS are in, but d**khead is on my foe list so ill Go with reality......It's about games on air total... 9 ATM
Whether its Darwin, Canberra (where GWS will end up), Tassie or anywhere doesn't matter.... The pay for a certain amount of games
The fact no one watches HWS games, would actually be hurting.....

So lets get this straight. The TV rights went up 33% because we had 13% more games. I suggest that GWS and GC have something to do with it. And thanks for calling a d**khead. Coming from someone like you is a real compliment. And you go the west of Sydney quite often lately do you? i doubt it very much.