Is roo exempt from being told off?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is roo exempt from being told off?

I'm with JB and P66 on this.
This is a terrible thread, based on something that should not have happened, ie Stanley turning his back.
We were a rabble on the weekend because our team rules/structure completely broke down.
Stanley turning his back on play is part of that.

There has been no better leader of the Saints in my lifetime than Roo.

Anyone agreeing this is a bad look is absolutely questioning his commitment.
Disappointing.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

maverick wrote:I'm with JB and P66 on this.
This is a terrible thread, based on something that should not have happened, ie Stanley turning his back.
We were a rabble on the weekend because our team rules/structure completely broke down.

Disappointing.

What bollocks - no-one is questioning Roo's commitment - they are saying that he is human and therefore not perfect and has a minor issue that needs to be addressed (in their opinion). Or are you in the camp that states that Roo is perfect and never does anything wrong, ever???

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:

Disappointing.

What bollocks - no-one is questioning Roo's commitment - they are saying that he is human and therefore not perfect and has a minor issue that needs to be addressed (in their opinion). Or are you in the camp that states that Roo is perfect and never does anything wrong, ever???
Questioning his leadership, stunting players development, Stanley did the right thing, now he's the same as Milne
A sample of this thread.
What is that then if it doesn't question his commitment?
Course he isn't perfect, forget how good a player he is, he is a GREAT leader, questioning that is ludicruos.

Answer this then, did Stanley do the right thing turning his back on play?

#gosaintas
Club Player

You bet he did. Roo was covered. He looked twice anyway. Then he took responsibility for the shot and nailed it. Roo behaved like a tool.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:dont call me a sad sack you f****** pompous fuckwitt

im sick of you
abuse abuse

so cop some back
you whine that plugger and stinger are cancers here

you mr pomp are the biggest tool in the draw

f*** me no one is questioning the blokes leadership and efforts
someone is just saying that giving some kids a spray on the field (more than once) is not a good look IN THEIR OPINION

yet your opinion is that he is f****** GOD and ANYTHING said against him like one sock is shorter than the other when he pulls them up is blasphemy and anyone pointing out said socks is a complete sad sack nobody with no f****** idea because the almighty supporter of the f****** decade joffaboy said so

go f*** yourself d**khead
seriously sick of your shite, sick of mods not doing anything about it
so
cop back what you give out

d**khead
oh potty mouth matrix.
All about you is it?

Sorry to burst your extremely fragile ego, but I wasn't even thinking of you when I wrote my last post :D

So suffice to say, i lol'ed with your little tanty.

Oh BTW, I wont be thinking about you again today. Sorry if your "look at me" mentality cant handle that. :wink:

But if you see yourself as a sad sack, and if you bag out the greatest player at the Saints over the course of the past 10-20 years, who am I to argue with you.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:JB

You're not really someone I'd take the opinion of in regards to the subject of tempers, sprays and dummy spits.

Just saying
Well someone who bags out our captain constantly has a huge amount of credibility

Just sayin' :D :D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
micksaint777

I just don't see how you can sit back and say "Oh yeah, the captain showing on field frustration is the reason our kids are low on confidence."

On that note, I say once more, HE DID NOT BAG STANLEY FOR STANDING UP AND TAKING RESPONSIBILITY (some people cannot get past this issue). He would have no problem with Rhys standing up and saying "Yep I'll kick it." What he had a problem with is how he ignored the team option by doing so. People are giving him a free pass by saying "Well he kicked it" as if the ends justify the means, but in the end he just managed to cover his own mistake. Had he not kicked it, the same people calling Rhys a champ for taking the game on would be the same people howling him down for his lack of vision. It worked this time, but it won't necessarily next time or the time after. You always do the team thing, from the little to the big, that was the issue, not the fact Rhys decided to kick a beauty of a goal and Rooey thought "Oh I'm the only one who can do that." On that note Nick wasn't at all covered, he had the lead, just by the time the camera panned to him during the incident when he did show annoyance did his defenders catch up to cover him.

The fact is questioning his leadership (an aspect that defines him) to the point that he is now somehow stunting the new kid' development due to him somehow being selfish is in many ways questioning him as a character and his commitment. To that end I will defend one of the all time greats of the game. He expects at least half of what he puts out, and rightly so, any good leader would. What boggles me more is they are basing this all on field. Who's to say he doesn't give Rhys the rap of his life after the game? Or even apologize should he feel it warranted? To say his on field emotions bubbling over is one thing (it is both a good and not so good thing I can understand discussing that) but to say that he is a reason our team in terms of youngsters is not developing is another thing all together and quite frankly ludicrous. Seeing such a champion bust his gut on field will do more good for their development than anything else possibly could.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I'm loving the hypocricy on here by one particular sad sack poster who whenever gets challenged, reverts to abuse then has the gaul to say don't abuse me. Just incredible. :roll:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:I'm loving the hypocricy on here by one particular sad sack poster who whenever gets challenged, reverts to abuse then has the gaul to say don't abuse me. Just incredible. :roll:
stop abusing me SaintPav or I will abuse you and have a huge tanty :mrgreen:

Lance or James??

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Mick saint, I'll say if again, it wasn't an isolated incident...and its not a good look.

I understand his frustration given he has multiple defenders on him at any given time, but that us also a good enough reason not to kick it to him every single time.

Happy to hear Watters say today he is going to keep going down the path of playing the kids, I hope if we win we'll make a fuss during the song even though guys who had their first win in the RWB v Carlton missed out.

I will keep saying it, nobody is exempt from improving no matter how old they are

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
SaintPav wrote:I'm loving the hypocricy on here by one particular sad sack poster who whenever gets challenged, reverts to abuse then has the gaul to say don't abuse me. Just incredible. :roll:
stop abusing me SaintPav or I will abuse you and have a huge tanty :mrgreen:
STOP being a big sook JB. :D Have one of these. :mrgreen:

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

maverick wrote:
True Believer wrote:

Disappointing.

Questioning his leadership, stunting players development, Stanley did the right thing, now he's the same as Milne
A sample of this thread.
Course he isn't perfect, forget how good a player he is, he is a GREAT leader, questioning that is ludicruos.

Absolutely did the right thing. Took the responsibility on himself, stepped up and delivered. Wish we had more doing it. No-one knows his capabilities better than himself.
Much prefer that than Jones's headless chook impersonations wheneever he has the pill 40 meters out from goal. Roo is a great leader and he has unquestioning commitment to the cause, but that still doesn't make him perfect and he may have some "blind spots" in terms of his leadership. Carrying on Richo style when someone doesn't pass to him and then kicks the goal themselves is not a postitive in my book. Had Stanley taken the impossible shot from the boundary pn his wrong foot and missed, with Roo by himself 20m out straight in front, then fine, pull Rhys up for it. But Rhys was confident, it was a shot froma VERY gettable angle, and then delivered. Everything else is crap. Roo is a great of our club, he is not a deity and to point out that he could improve some aspect or another is not treason, nor does it mean people do not appreciate the magnificent service he has already given.

Lose the messiah thing, it's holding the club back......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
maverick wrote:
True Believer wrote:
A sample of this thread.

Absolutely did the right thing. Took the responsibility on himself, stepped up and delivered. Wish we had more doing it. No-one knows his capabilities better than himself.
Much prefer that than Jones's headless chook impersonations wheneever he has the pill 40 meters out from goal. Roo is a great leader and he has unquestioning commitment to the cause, but that still doesn't make him perfect and he may have some "blind spots" in terms of his leadership. Carrying on Richo style when someone doesn't pass to him and then kicks the goal themselves is not a postitive in my book. Had Stanley taken the impossible shot from the boundary pn his wrong foot and missed, with Roo by himself 20m out straight in front, then fine, pull Rhys up for it. But Rhys was confident, it was a shot froma VERY gettable angle, and then delivered. Everything else is crap. Roo is a great of our club, he is not a deity and to point out that he could improve some aspect or another is not treason, nor does it mean people do not appreciate the magnificent service he has already given.

Lose the messiah thing, it's holding the club back......
No messiah thing here.
As GT said for many years, it's how you go about it, not the result that builds a successful team.

The taking of responsibility is fine, ala Webester minutes before him, he went about it the right way, have a look at that vision.
He was 60 out, turned his back and barely kicked the distance.
If you think turning your back before taking responsibility is OK then no need to continue debating.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

micksaint777 wrote:I just don't see how you can sit back and say "Oh yeah, the captain showing on field frustration is the reason our kids are low on confidence."

On that note, I say once more, HE DID NOT BAG STANLEY FOR STANDING UP AND TAKING RESPONSIBILITY (some people cannot get past this issue). He would have no problem with Rhys standing up and saying "Yep I'll kick it." What he had a problem with is how he ignored the team option by doing so. People are giving him a free pass by saying "Well he kicked it" as if the ends justify the means, but in the end he just managed to cover his own mistake. Had he not kicked it, the same people calling Rhys a champ for taking the game on would be the same people howling him down for his lack of vision. It worked this time, but it won't necessarily next time or the time after. You always do the team thing, from the little to the big, that was the issue, not the fact Rhys decided to kick a beauty of a goal and Rooey thought "Oh I'm the only one who can do that." On that note Nick wasn't at all covered, he had the lead, just by the time the camera panned to him during the incident when he did show annoyance did his defenders catch up to cover him.

The fact is questioning his leadership (an aspect that defines him) to the point that he is now somehow stunting the new kid' development due to him somehow being selfish is in many ways questioning him as a character and his commitment. To that end I will defend one of the all time greats of the game. He expects at least half of what he puts out, and rightly so, any good leader would. What boggles me more is they are basing this all on field. Who's to say he doesn't give Rhys the rap of his life after the game? Or even apologize should he feel it warranted? To say his on field emotions bubbling over is one thing (it is both a good and not so good thing I can understand discussing that) but to say that he is a reason our team in terms of youngsters is not developing is another thing all together and quite frankly ludicrous. Seeing such a champion bust his gut on field will do more good for their development than anything else possibly could.
Well said.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Mick saint, I'll say if again, it wasn't an isolated incident...and its not a good look.

I understand his frustration given he has multiple defenders on him at any given time, but that us also a good enough reason not to kick it to him every single time.

Happy to hear Watters say today he is going to keep going down the path of playing the kids, I hope if we win we'll make a fuss during the song even though guys who had their first win in the RWB v Carlton missed out.

I will keep saying it, nobody is exempt from improving no matter how old they are

I noticed the kids circle thing too a while ago but on further thought, just because other clubs do it doesn't mean we should follow. It's not a tradition, it's hasn't been around for ages.

We may celebrate success in different ways.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
SainterK wrote:Mick saint, I'll say if again, it wasn't an isolated incident...and its not a good look.

I noticed the kids circle thing too a while ago but on further thought, just because other clubs do it doesn't mean we should follow. It's not a tradition, it's hasn't been around for ages.

We may celebrate success in different ways.
This is true.

I guess we haven't had kids coming through in recent years either?

Dunno.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

micksaint777 wrote: The fact is questioning his leadership (an aspect that defines him) to the point that he is now somehow stunting the new kid' development due to him somehow being selfish is in many ways questioning him as a character and his commitment. To that end I will defend one of the all time greats of the game. He expects at least half of what he puts out, and rightly so, any good leader would. What boggles me more is they are basing this all on field. Who's to say he doesn't give Rhys the rap of his life after the game? Or even apologize should he feel it warranted? To say his on field emotions bubbling over is one thing (it is both a good and not so good thing I can understand discussing that) but to say that he is a reason our team in terms of youngsters is not developing is another thing all together and quite frankly ludicrous. Seeing such a champion bust his gut on field will do more good for their development than anything else possibly could.
Stand by in the next few months when we have a bad loss for the same sad sacks to be complaining "Where is our passion?".

As sure as night follows day, we will get a thread about how none of the players are showing leadership because thet lack pasion and competitiveness, exactly the thing that Roo was showing, and shows every time he pulls on the Saints jumper.

As you say to believe he is holding back player development is ludicrious. it is saying the young players are sooks and cant handle a spray. Jesus heaven forbid ao opposition player sledging them, they may roll up into the foetal position :roll:

Actions speak louder than words. Nick Riewoldt leads by example, and by character. If the "young" players cant cope, they can be chopped or play in the VFL.

Feck Me :roll:

Lance or James??

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

markmark wrote:When players are enjoying themselfs on the field thay tend to play good footy. I can't see some kids getting spayed on the field enjoying themselfs. There is a reason why we have breaks during the game, training and a lot of meetings.
+1

If Roo keeps doing the dummy spit is that going to get our players to improve?

If Roo wants excellence and he demands excellence that is positively outstanding!!! That is why he is one of the best players we've ever seen in a Saints jumper, however....as True Believer said; "Carrying on Richo style when someone doesn't pass to him and then kicks the goal themselves is not a positive in my book."

Carrying on Richo style is not going about it the best way if you want improvement. It's not a good look for a captain or an experienced player.

There is a reason why we have breaks during the game

There is a reason why we have training

There is a reason why we have a lot of meetings.

That's when you dissect the game and that's when harsh truths are thrashed out to demand improvement

The pendulum turned when RL walked out and when BJ was refused a 4 year contract on anything similar to what was offered by other clubs. The focus from StKFC and it's administrators is firmly towards the future. It's the captains job and the experienced players job to embrace the youth and encourage the youth on field....

Does Lenny act that way if a young mid makes a mistake? Did Blake or Chips have a dummy spit when Jimmy or Tom Simpkin or Gears stuffed up as they were learning? C'mon Roo - you're better than that

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

You blamed him for part of the reason the younger players arent improving. That is the part I cant cop. A little yelling at players occasionally would have no difference to the improvement or non improvement of younger players. I think to blame Rooy and Milney even slightly on that is just made up rubbish IMO of course.