Watters is a very poor coach!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Re: Watters is a very poor coach!

saintspremiers wrote:
Griggsy wrote:16th vs 17th. Some perspective.
Spot on. It was a slow motion car crash.

We have a skill edge on them but their effort was 20% better than ours tonight.
We are in rebuild mode, we won't be world beaters for a while yet, a win is a win...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
Griggsy wrote:16th vs 17th. Some perspective.

How do you come to that conclusion? 16th V 17th and the game is won after 10 minutes.
We didn't do much after that initial burst. Our effort wasn't as good as theirs, but I guess it's different watching it in Telly for you than being at the game. I hope your beer was cold at least.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

How do you come to that conclusion? 16th V 17th and the game is won after 10 minutes.
We didn't do much after that initial burst. Our effort wasn't as good as theirs, but I guess it's different watching it in Telly for you than being at the game. I hope your beer was cold at least.

Certainly different on TV and anyone else thinking otherwise is kidding themselves. Looked like our effort was there to win the game in 10 minutes. Theirs seemed to be there when they couldnt win. No beer just local footy.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Wow harsh critic. Ran a training drill and they dropped intensity.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

PurpleHayes wrote: Absolute Rubbish

Don't win one on one contests? Pretty sure we won the contested possessions count today!

Going backward to go forward. Hmmm can't always kick the ball fwd if there isn't a target there.. Ever heard of the switch tactic?

Defenders poorly coached - I think they are doing a good job considering we don't have a genuine 'key' defender at the moment.

Once we were 50 points up this enabled Watters to play Murdoch on jones, Webster on a wing and Dunnel Ross newnes and milera through the middle. Yeah we didn't blow them away, but we gave the kids big game time in important positions. Important for our DEVELOPMENT. Unless you would prefer Dal, Joey and Jones on the ball the whole game? Yeah we'd win by more, but would be developing our younger players??!

How about you give us some real substance as to why Watters can't coach. Didnt hear much from you when we beat the blues???
+1

We've got a handful of kids that have basically played 10 games or less, no Sam Fisher, no Lenny, no Milne, no Gilbo, and our number 1 ruck was knocked out before half time.

Fantastic energy and effort and we showed them what a good team looks like. I'm thrilled that our coach has the courage to give our youngsters important roles in the side. Our senior players stood up and our next batch of leaders in Armo, Ben, Jack Steven and Gears all played their part.
Middo wrote:s*** thread , did Watters have a crack at your missus ..?
WinnersOnly reminds us why we need the FRIEIND/FOE system.

lloyd21
Club Player

Coach does not make players handball like my Grandmother the players switched off cruised last Q
Lay off bagging coach fair dinkum.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I thought the coach was very well dressed tonight. He looked elegant yet understated.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Yes we won but put it in context - with an opposition like Melbourne he shouldn't have been satisfied with nothing short of a 15 goal win! Our insistence on looping the ball backwards to go forward is a completely negative tactic. To me we are playing a soft WAFL style of football with most players unable to win one on one contests. Our defenders are poorly coached as are our mids on top of our forward delivery we have become a very ordinary football team ! The way we finished that game off is indicative of a team with no hunger or expectations.

I have said it before and will keep saying it until Watters improves or they replace him - Watters is a very poor coach!
very poor thread

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

He would make a very poor couch though- he would be a compact 2 seater I like something you can sprawl out on more. Kosi should become a couch when he retires he would have some sprawl factor.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

I want to know who taught our players how to tackle?
The number of times they go over the shoulder is inexcusable.
Surely that is an issue of technique than can be addressed.

Maybe it is because Watters is coaching them tackling, him being about 4 foot two had no choice when he played but to go high otherwise he was pinged for tripping.

Spud
Club Player
Location: Near the You Yangs, or as my wife used to call it, the Dugongs.

Cairnsman wrote:I thought the coach was very well dressed tonight. He looked elegant yet understated.
Lol

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Apart from all the personnel already mentioned,we also have a fairly handy player named Schneider sitting in the stand too. Then you also forgot to mention we didn't even have our one ruckman, McEvoy there for the whole second half either!
I thought it was a great opportunity for Watters to give some inexperienced players their head in a game that was aways going to be there for the winning and at the G to boot. Yes, the last quarter was boring but at least we didn't capitulate and the endeavour was there all evening.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
MrCordz
Club Player

CURLY wrote:Cant even be bothered arguing against such a rubbish thread.
+1

Humbly St. Kilda
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The fact that geelong are very good and north are very s*** and they are coached by identical twins tells me coaches are over rated.

The reason we are third bottom is because our list is s***.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:The fact that geelong are very good and north are very s*** and they are coached by identical twins tells me coaches are over rated.

Freo have kep the opposition to under 49 points 3 times in about 15 years before RL and 9 times in one and half years since. That tells me coaches can also change the fortune of sides. We arent very good. Whether SW is helping or hurting is a bit early to tell.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:The fact that geelong are very good and north are very s*** and they are coached by identical twins tells me coaches are over rated.

Freo have kep the opposition to under 49 points 3 times in about 15 years before RL and 9 times in one and half years since. That tells me coaches can also change the fortune of sides. We arent very good. Whether SW is helping or hurting is a bit early to tell.

So how would RL go at the Saints now or Melbourne or GWS even. You reckon he could achieve the same results with those lists?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So how would RL go at the Saints now or Melbourne or GWS even. You reckon he could achieve the same results with those lists?

No not a hope of getting the same results as Freo. All 3 sides would play a much better game plan though. Doesnt mean he is suited to any of those sides. he is a master coach and anyone thinking otherwise just needs to look at his record. Hasnt acheived the flag though so there will be knockers unless he does.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

No not a hope of getting the same results as Freo. All 3 sides would play a much better game plan though. Doesnt mean he is suited to any of those sides. he is a master coach and anyone thinking otherwise just needs to look at his record. Hasnt acheived the flag though so there will be knockers unless he does.
No question he is a good coach but all he has proved at the moment is that he can coach clubs with very good lists but I am very certain that if he was still the coach at our club that our results would be about the same especially because his game plan is very taxing and demanding and a young list would have trouble holding up.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

No question he is a good coach but all he has proved at the moment is that he can coach clubs with very good lists but I am very certain that if he was still the coach at our club that our results would be about the same especially because his game plan is very taxing and demanding and a young list would have trouble holding up.

Doubt it but doesnt matter and cant be proven one way or another. Its was a good change getting rid of RL but we wont know if we got the right coach until 3 or 4 seasons. I have some doubt SW will still be there to see if he can reap what he sowed. My point is coaches can make a difference. Players can as well.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Doubt it but doesnt matter and cant be proven one way or another. Its was a good change getting rid of RL but we wont know if we got the right coach until 3 or 4 seasons. I have some doubt SW will still be there to see if he can reap what he sowed. My point is coaches can make a difference. Players can as well.
We didn't get rid of RL, he got rid of us and that is one of the things that strongly suggests that he himself doesn't believe he is capable of coaching a side with a weak list. Mick Malthouse is probably one of the few coaches that has proved he can coach a team at different levels in the equalisation cycle.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

We didn't get rid of RL, he got rid of us and that is one of the things that strongly suggests that he himself doesn't believe he is capable of coaching a side with a weak list. Mick Malthouse is probably one of the few coaches that has proved he can coach a team at different levels in the equalisation cycle.

We didnt sign him when we could have. We helped get rid of him. The same with BJ. Both the right calls IMO.

kalsaint
Club Player

ShanghaiSaint wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:Yes we won but put it in context - with an opposition like Melbourne he shouldn't have been satisfied with nothing short of a 15 goal win! Our insistence on looping the ball backwards to go forward is a completely negative tactic. To me we are playing a soft WAFL style of football with most players unable to win one on one contests. Our defenders are poorly coached as are our mids on top of our forward delivery we have become a very ordinary football team ! The way we finished that game off is indicative of a team with no hunger or expectations.

I have said it before and will keep saying it until Watters improves or they replace him - Watters is a very poor coach!
where not that much better then Melb atm, i would have been suprised if we won by more then 10G.... i was thinking 30 to 50 pts win... but was not that happy that dropped off in the 4th like that.. but a win is a win so i will take it.. WO ease up and enjoy of third win would you.
I'm struggling to remember the last time we won the last quarter in a game. Dropping off at this point means the following or a combination of the following:
1 Desire falls away and effort follows.
2 Starts to make more mistakes when effort or player protection dwindles with poor disposal creating easy turnovers (and frees),
3 Team balance is wrong
4 Generally not fit enough for this level,
5 Bodies not yet up to it but this is no he case with opposition (often with a larger group of younger players),
6 Robbed by umpires (happens but not the prime reason for this)
7 Poor clearance ratio over game comes t bit as players tire more (generally get flogged in hit outs),
8 Mental application easily drained after numerous incidents of turnovers or poor scoring selection/shots.
9 Out coached
10 Insufficient structure to game plan.

There may be more reasons. What's your belief? Mines mosly about ability to deliver on effort needed plus tired bodies. Fitness is a possibility but I really don't know how this is.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
stinger
Saintsational Legend

we also got screwed over by the maggots once again......22 fees against to 16 for........6 fee kick differential....how the flower did that happen......maggots = fkn cheats afaic.......what's the free kick differntial now?????

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We didnt sign him when we could have. We helped get rid of him. The same with BJ. Both the right calls IMO.
Well if you want to put that spin on it then maybe the club knew that he had some major flaws as a coach and didn't think that he could coach a side that wasn't chock full of super stars and maybe they were a little bit disappointed that he'd neglected to develop the list properly.