This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sign up Watters to 2016

Heard a comment during the game on Friday night, cant remember who said it one of the commentators, but something about players wanting to come to clubs with good culture. I hate the word personally, however that is just how it is.
We need someone who can help get rid of the perceived view that our culture is crap.
Watters has been around enough to see this. Stability is the answer. Lets face it , Watters came in to a list that had been band aided up for years. That isnt going to change overnight.

As for last night, we played a top 2 team (and where are we on the ladder), on their own dung heap. What did everyone expect. Geelong are an excellent club. Their blueprint
should be followed.

storm51

No way, he's taken us from grand finalists to Melbourne in 2 years.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Greg T wrote:Who said sack him?
Let him finish his current contract and move him on.
Not renewing his contract and "moving him on" is the same as sacking him.

I can understand both sides of the argument of renewing for a further season or two now to take the heat off him next year so he can concentrate on development and waiting until mid way next season.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:Heard a comment during the game on Friday night, cant remember who said it one of the commentators, but something about players wanting to come to clubs with good culture. I hate the word personally, however that is just how it is.
We need someone who can help get rid of the perceived view that our culture is crap.
Watters has been around enough to see this. Stability is the answer. Lets face it , Watters came in to a list that had been band aided up for years. That isnt going to change overnight.

As for last night, we played a top 2 team (and where are we on the ladder), on their own dung heap. What did everyone expect. Geelong are an excellent club. Their blueprint
should be followed.
From what I understand, our culture over the last ten years, while not perfect, has been was very very good.

See what Bombers players said about BJ and the professionalism he brought with him for example.

We won the second most games over a ten year period and just missed out on the prize a couple of times. We must have been doing something right.

maliceiw

The question is if he's any good as a development coach. The youngsters he played last year - Saad, Stanley, Siposs, Simpkin - have all gone backwards this year.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Culture good.... Last ten years, really??

How did we handle Moorabbin exit??

A.Lovett saga, StK schoolgirl, Nude Photo, NZ trip, Ball/Goddard/Lyon contract negotiations, GT/Butterss, Milne & Montagna, VFL alignment issues, Injury management under GT, rotating captains, GT appointment, Koschitzke playing injured, Capuano sacking, Lawrence/Black/Gehrig pissing or crashing cars...

Sounds like a Billy Joel song....

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like a whole heap of Herald Sun headlines.

I said that our culture was good, not perfect. No club or organisation is perfect. I also said we must have been doing something right to have won so many games and played in all those finals.

If you want to focus on the negative, go ahead; your choice.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Culture good.... Last ten years, really??

How did we handle Moorabbin exit??

A.Lovett saga, StK schoolgirl, Nude Photo, NZ trip, Ball/Goddard/Lyon contract negotiations, GT/Butterss, Milne & Montagna, VFL alignment issues, Injury management under GT, rotating captains, GT appointment, Koschitzke playing injured, Capuano sacking, Lawrence/Black/Gehrig pissing or crashing cars...

Sounds like a Billy Joel song....

You are a complete knocker. i would use another word but someone would probably dob me in. The grass is always purple for you. Well it aint green anyway.

oh when the
Club Player

I thinks its our acceptance of mediocrity rather than demanding everything in the club be done with the utmost professionalism

We have Directors who run big companies - yet we could not get a deal with Kingston CC to stay at Moorabbin.

We go to Ethiad to see our members spending money at the Bombers Shop

Losing nearly 8000 members since the GFs

We have no outward thinking to generate income. buy a revenue producing food place near Ethiad/Spencer Street

You go to Ethiad not much RBW around the stadium north do it much better than us.

Not having in place a replacement of players policy, good recruitment policy.

I heard Tony Morwood speak recently he said even if a very good player went to Melbourne FC they would not make any difference b/c the structure is wrong. I think the Saints could be in the same category.

That's where our structure/culture professionalism starts at the very top. I still love the club and that is why it hurts so much to see us at the bottom again.

But where is the optimism coming from the Top - I don't see much to give the members much to look forward to.

I feel better now.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Wow

A reality view

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

I am of the opinion that we will not see the best of Watters for a few years due to where our list is at.

It is his job to develop as many quality players as possible over the next period and from there it is on (the charge forward again)

This is why Melbourne should not have sacked Neeld. The m.o of that club should be development.

As is ours.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:I am of the opinion that we will not see the best of Watters for a few years due to where our list is at.

It is his job to develop as many quality players as possible over the next period and from there it is on (the charge forward again)

This is why Melbourne should not have sacked Neeld. The m.o of that club should be development.

As is ours.

But sometimes you can actually be a bad coach. Melbourne decided Neeld wasnt up to it and probably would set the list back further. It isnt ime to sack SW but it isnt time to give him an extra year either.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

The mo for every team should be development.... No matter what

You DON'T have to be at the bottom to develop the list.... Gradual and staged turnover, with succession planning helps....

Eggs can never be in one basket.... Best way to win a flag, be at the top for a long time.... Experience, culture, structure will get you there...,

We did not develop or turn over the list well from 2008-2011

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:The mo for every team should be development.... No matter what

You DON'T have to be at the bottom to develop the list.... Gradual and staged turnover, with succession planning helps....

Eggs can never be in one basket.... Best way to win a flag, be at the top for a long time.... Experience, culture, structure will get you there...,

Playing Andrew McQualter at all will that do to a football side.

Utter useless individual.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
BigMart wrote:The mo for every team should be development.... No matter what

Playing Andrew McQualter at all will that do to a football side.

Utter useless individual.

Good post.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

storm51 wrote:No way, he's taken us from grand finalists to Melbourne in 2 years.

Really, we were in the GF in 2011? It is four seasons since we were in a GF, 2010, 2011, 2012,2013.

If you are going to critisise, at least make it factual and moderately intelligent :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
matrix
Saintsational Legend

will be signed up soon i reckon
hopefully before the years out

8-)

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Over the years, the Saints have sacked many coaches - without much improvement in the following years (except after Thomas). Unless they have a strong list, their hands are tied.

I think that Watters is a good fit with this young team and the need to develop them. Whether he has the tactical ability for finals campaigns is an unanswered question, so in our current circumstances, stability is important and now is not the time to "sack the coach."

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

oh when the wrote:I thinks its our acceptance of mediocrity rather than demanding everything in the club be done with the utmost professionalism
You might accept mediocrity (actually reading this post you embrace it) others accept reality
oh when the wrote:We have Directors who run big companies - yet we could not get a deal with Kingston CC to stay at Moorabbin.
Are they still at the club or are you speaking of another administration?
oh when the wrote:We go to Ethiad to see our members spending money at the Bombers Shop
We went to Ethihad and got 3-4 years of AFL compsentation. Then the current administration actually balanced the book for the first time in the clubs history, but go ahead, this is very funny.
oh when the wrote:Losing nearly 8000 members since the GFs
Tell me other clubs that dont lose members after 10 years of being a contender?
oh when the wrote:We have no outward thinking to generate income. buy a revenue producing food place near Ethiad/Spencer Street
Umm - ANZAC DAY. How much revenue would a take away shop generate. FGS you dont seem to understand even a basic business model
oh when the wrote:You go to Ethiad not much RBW around the stadium north do it much better than us.
Who would know, they get 12,000 to a game at Ethihad
oh when the wrote:Not having in place a replacement of players policy, good recruitment policy.
That is totally wrong. Pelcan and Watter have put in place BOTH of those things. You really are talking from a base of pure ignorance
oh when the wrote:I heard Tony Morwood speak recently he said even if a very good player went to Melbourne FC they would not make any difference b/c the structure is wrong. I think the Saints could be in the same category.
Do you? Explain our structure.
oh when the wrote:That's where our structure/culture professionalism starts at the very top. I still love the club and that is why it hurts so much to see us at the bottom again.
instead of dumb, poorly thought out motherhood statement, please indicate our structure/ culture professionalism and give me actual comparisions to other clubs. Not weak and dumb, oh compared to Geelong or compared to Sydney. Tell us their structure, from the admin, to the football dept,down to the recruiting and development and then compare it department by department to ours.

If you cant do that you are talking our of your backside and not SFA about structure of football clubs at AFL level.
oh when the wrote:But where is the optimism coming from the Top - I don't see much to give the members much to look forward to.
Create your own optimism you sad sack for god sake. Do you need to be suckled by others? Or is your self esteem so low that you need others to build it up for you?
oh when the wrote:I feel better now.
You should feel embarrassed. You stated a list of straw man arguments based on ignorance, untruths, and sophristy.

Why am I not suprised BigMart gave it the tick of approval :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
southernsaint
Club Player

Keep watters for two more years which means a one year extension then review it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

southernsaint wrote:Keep watters for two more years which means a one year extension then review it.

IMO in 2 years we will be in about the same position. Bottom 3 maybe even bottom so what do we do then? Sign him again? if we extend it should be an extra 2 or 3 years or we could just wait and see how he goes for about the next 20 or so games. And i dont mean win or lose because its pretty much a given we will lose most i just want to see if the club is heading in the right direction.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
southernsaint wrote:Keep watters for two more years which means a one year extension then review it.

IMO in 2 years we will be in about the same position. Bottom 3 maybe even bottom so what do we do then? Sign him again? if we extend it should be an extra 2 or 3 years or we could just wait and see how he goes for about the next 20 or so games. And i dont mean win or lose because its pretty much a given we will lose most i just want to see if the club is heading in the right direction.
How do you judge it though?

We have had games where we have been terrible (North, last night) and others where we were extremely unlucky to lose WCE, Port only last week.

Others where we were expected to get flogged and performed admirably (Freo over there, Sydney in NZ) etc.

people are going off about last night. Fair enough we got flogged by 100 points, but we are missing our backline, our mids got flogged, then we lost Gwilt, Lenny, and Roo. Mac seemed to be on one foot, Jack didn't do much after getting his head caved in, and we were run off our feet.

How do you judge Watter on a season many thought would go this way?

Would you look over two seasons and what would you judge him on?

Lance or James??

oh when the
Club Player

my backside has sat through more than a thousand saints games
i will say on this forum what i think is wrong with the club

not what you want to hear

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

How do you judge it though?

We have had games where we have been terrible (North, last night) and others where we were extremely unlucky to lose WCE, Port only last week.

Others where we were expected to get flogged and performed admirably (Freo over there, Sydney in NZ) etc.

people are going off about last night. Fair enough we got flogged by 100 points, but we are missing our backline, our mids got flogged, then we lost Gwilt, Lenny, and Roo. Mac seemed to be on one foot, Jack didn't do much after getting his head caved in, and we were run off our feet.

How do you judge Watter on a season many thought would go this way?

Would you look over two seasons and what would you judge him on?

I think thats my point. i wouldnt judge it on this season, I wouldnt judge it on 2 seasons. i would judge it on nearly 3 seasons and surely our board is smart enough to then make a good decision. They make the decision earlier but i just dont see the rush.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

oh when the wrote:my backside has sat through more than a thousand saints games
i will say on this forum what i think is wrong with the club

not what you want to hear

I would like you to back up some of your factuous statements with facts.

You are entitled to an opinion, but when it is based in ignorance and basic untruths and just made up you will be challenged.

Please give me some facts on our structure dept by department, compared to other clubs.

If you cant dont make utterly dumb, vapid and vacuous statements.

Apparently you like to post polemics and expect us to all slavishly fall at your feet as some type of sage, when anyone with a modicum of understand of any of the statements you made can see they are so ignorant and poorly thought out, that they are bordering on arrested.

Lance or James??