Just how much has "The Dome" cost us?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Grimfang
Club Player

Just how much has "The Dome" cost us?

I read in another post that Geelong make $600-700K per game at the Cattery? Where we need (I think it's still) 35k attendance just to break even. That sort of gap in earnings potential has to have had an effect on what we can spend on the football department, recruiting, etc.

We know Essendon's contract was a real sweetheart deal to get one of the big 4 to the place, so there has really been 2, maybe 3, clubs who have born the brunt of paying that place off; us, the doggies and (maybe) the roos.

Guess I'm really trying to get put figure on that.... lost potential income (I guess you could only really compare with MCG tenants, given it's the only other Melbourne ground) and if the situation may improve once the place is paid off?

/end random musing.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons; for you are a quick and tasty morsel.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Just how much has "The Dome" cost us?

And we wonder why we've fallen behind so badly in recruitment, player development etc.

Under current arrangements, we'll never be able to catch up with the access to the resources clubs like the Cats have.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Grimfang
Club Player

On a side issue, the original contract had expired and we were using Etihad on an uncontracted basis. Is that still the case?

PADDLEPOP1001
Club Player

Don"t forget we knocked back the "g"!

PADDLEPOP1000
Grimfang
Club Player

If I remember correctly, we knocked back the 'G' on the basis of what we were promised by Collo? Problem was it just never eventuated.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Grimfang wrote:If I remember correctly, we knocked back the 'G' on the basis of what we were promised by Collo? Problem was it just never eventuated.
We should sue the nonks.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Fair dinkum, what sort of organisation insists that one club plays at ground A, and another must play at ground B - yet doesn't ensure that their deals are viable.

Just ridiculous.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Grimfang wrote:If I remember correctly, we knocked back the 'G' on the basis of what we were promised by Collo? Problem was it just never eventuated.

the G was never a option for the saints, the contract and agreements with Etihad locked us into Etihad.

Frankie
Club Player

True that. Just happened to be our bad luck that one of our weakest moments in club history coincided with the construction of the dome. If I recall we barely had 17000 members at the time, which leaves you very little negotiating power when it comes to picking where you want to play.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We were never offered the g we were told that if we wanted to stay at Waverley we needed to pay for the upgrades and maintenance and guarantee it. We tried to deal with the Hawks to see if we could but when we went back to AFL who told us they would now give us less because we didn't sign straight away then told if we didn't sign now we would get done over worse. We were blackmailed. I was told by Plympton's mum who said her son was bent over by them and didn't deserve the criticism for it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:We were never offered the g we were told that if we wanted to stay at Waverley we needed to pay for the upgrades and maintenance and guarantee it. We tried to deal with the Hawks to see if we could but when we went back to AFL who told us they would now give us less because we didn't sign straight away then told if we didn't sign now we would get done over worse. We were blackmailed. I was told by Plympton's mum who said her son was bent over by them and didn't deserve the criticism for it.

Well that clearly isnt true. The AFL were always going to sell Waverley and they needed sides to play at the dome. I was told that by my uncles mate who knew Ross Oakley.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

And that's why as part of their punishment I want their current contract with Etihad Stadium broken and bought back to the financial straits we find ourselves in.

Greg T
Club Player

Does anyone really know what we make per game at the venue ?

100 goals in 14 games...Lockett is the key
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We made 500 000 per game in Launceston??..... Gave that up, to have Home Games vs Port & Freo and incur massive losses and 15-20k crowds

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We made 500 000 per game in Launceston??..... Gave that up, to have Home Games vs Port & Freo and incur massive losses and 15-20k crowds

Another mistake. You keep pointing them out. And someone actually said it constructive criticism. just looks like plain criticism to show how bad our club is at every single opportunity.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:We were never offered the g we were told that if we wanted to stay at Waverley we needed to pay for the upgrades and maintenance and guarantee it. We tried to deal with the Hawks to see if we could but when we went back to AFL who told us they would now give us less because we didn't sign straight away then told if we didn't sign now we would get done over worse. We were blackmailed. I was told by Plympton's mum who said her son was bent over by them and didn't deserve the criticism for it.

Well that clearly isnt true. The AFL were always going to sell Waverley and they needed sides to play at the dome. I was told that by my uncles mate who knew Ross Oakley.

What evs

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We made 500 000 per game in Launceston??..... Gave that up, to have Home Games vs Port & Freo and incur massive losses and 15-20k crowds
IIRC that decision was forced on the Board by GT who insisted that playing in Launceston was 'costing' us premiership [points (giving up our home ground advantage at Telstra Dome).

He convinced the Bard that it was better to give up the financial windfall.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Mr Magic wrote:
IIRC that decision was forced on the Board by GT who insisted that playing in Launceston was 'costing' us premiership [points (giving up our home ground advantage at Telstra Dome).

Port used to beat us for fun down in Tassie....but the financial loss was big.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Port used to beat us for fun down in Tassie....but the financial loss was big.
All true.

At the time I agreed with GT's stance.

Reality was it was a smokescreen for his inability to motivate the group to play to its potential outside the Dome and cost us a fortune.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Port beating us for fun in Tassie??

That's the reason to dump it.........how about any team... Anywhere??

How about figuring out why we were losing to Port? Not their Home Ground?? Why was it the case....

Possibly our game style/players didn't stand up in tough conditions, players were flat track bullies, perhaps Port were just a better team??

Best solution... Run to the comfort of the indoor stadium???

Instead of deal with the issue, of why couldn't we win there... Took the easy option...

We didn't embrace Tassie.... So we lost and left

Hawthorn did..... What a windfall!

Another example of weak management..... And yes GT and that board is responsible

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Port beating us for fun in Tassie??

That's the reason to dump it.........how about any team... Anywhere??

How about figuring out why we were losing to Port? Not their Home Ground?? Why was it the case....

Possibly our game style/players didn't stand up in tough conditions, players were flat track bullies, perhaps Port were just a better team??

Best solution... Run to the comfort of the indoor stadium???

Instead of deal with the issue, of why couldn't we win there... Took the easy option...

We didn't embrace Tassie.... So we lost and left

Hawthorn did..... What a windfall!

Another example of weak management..... And yes GT and that board is responsible

Is there is issues that worry you from 1926?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Surprise, surprise.... My shadow remains?!

Can only imagine.... And prefer it that way....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Surprise, surprise.... My shadow remains?!

What is more surprising is you have me on ignore but you cant ignore me. you may have to seek treatment. I dont have you on ignore so I can comment on your posts. And we all know you read it. Well I know.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

What is more surprising is you have me on ignore but you cant ignore me. you may have to seek treatment. I dont have you on ignore so I can comment on your posts. And we all know you read it. Well I know.
plugger try and stop baiting and give an opinion on his post please.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

plugger try and stop baiting and give an opinion on his post please.

What are you on about. I commented on his comment. I gave an opinion on his first comment. The comment basically was why worry about things that happened long ago. Nothing can change it. Its just a way of whinging about our club again. Howw mant times can one person knock our club.Why would anyone follow a club that he claims has so many problems unless of course he sticks needles in his eyes for fun.